Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

tikis by marcus thorn

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1,047 replies

H
harro posted on Sun, Sep 30, 2007 5:43 AM

hey marcus
super super job on the ginormo tiki - absolutely jaw dropping. the pic with the val really puts it in perspective (and makes me miss my coupe!). spewing that after coming back to Australia and driving down the coast that I missed seeing the exhibition by just a few days!!
take it easy and look after yourself so you can keep wowing everyone here on TC and educating all the "others" through exhibitions like those at Currumbin.
cheers.

H

Marcus, what a great piece and what a great photo.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 30, 2007 5:25 PM

Sweet pic mate! You got high res versions? That'd be a sweet poster!

K

MAN that is so AWESOME ,what hardwood is it? looks like redgum? love the " VAL" too..Cheers Brendon

A

Epic!!!!!

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2007-10-02 15:39 ]

B

Still can't believe my eyes.
It is simply a huge perfect masterpiece.

Bravo,

Ben.

amazing work!!! I love the feet - he's caught in mid step staying on the post. Great shot by the beach, too. is the art show that this is at right down at the beach?

wow what response thanks a lot polynesiac benella ben harro hiltiki hewey kroozn62 back soon

Tiki Beat and Moon Eye have combined their tikis into one awesome mug to be launched in Japan at the Yokohama Hot Rod Show 2 December and I am very honoured to be a VIP guest artist at the show along with many talented artists including Keith Weesner, The Piz, Scratch and so many more... sneaky preview for you TC peoples eyes only

The USA mugs will be for Sale at the LA Moon Eye Hot Rod Christmas Show 8 December 2007 if you can't make it to Japan then get in quick as they are Limited Edition...Hot Rod and Tiki piece of memorabilia!! I have been organising this special mug and other exciting projects for the show in Japan and hope to be back carving before Christmas.

Tiki Beat by Marcus
http://www.tikibeat.com.au

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2007-11-05 00:17 ]

H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 5, 2007 3:01 AM

Very nice mate - way to go! :D :D Can't wait to see the mugs. Thats gonna be a cracka of a show, make sure you get some pics mate :D

B

Cool looking mugs Marcus, How can we get them here in Florida?

Thanks Hewey and Ben - I have put the link to the Moon eyes XMas event in USA for anyone interested in checking it out
http://www.mooneyesusa.com

both events look like a blast, thanks for the link. the mug is a real beauty too.

are you coming to the LA event too?

Thanks for the feedback - I was asked to attend the LA event but I have to be in Hawaii in January and need to get some carving done. Hope to do the LA show next year.

H

hey marcus,

congrats on getting your mug made by Mooneyes!! awesome stuff. be sure to show us a pic on here of the final product for those not lucky enough to attend the show.

what else is news? off to hawaii?!?!?!

cheers.

H

hey marcus, please show us more pictures of your amazing tikis. Mahalo!

Aloha (or konichiwa) back from Japan and finally got a few minutes to post some photos of my trip - been very busy marketing tikibeat As most of you will know I was a guest artist at this Years Yokohama Hot Rod Show with Keith Weesner, Dan Collins, Cole Foster, Kutty Noteboom (sinners) and the Kennedy Brothers. It was a fantastic event there were so many interesting people there - too many to mention. I felt very privileged to be amongst so many talented people truly a great honour. The Moon Tiki got fresh with a little pinup girl before our trip and he was sold to raise money for a Childrens Home in Japan.

Shige (Owner of Mooneyes) and myself holding the mooneye/tikibeat mug.

The Pizz (Beatniks) is one of many of the artists that left their mark on my 48 Buick Glovebox (bit wierd to explain to customs but worth packing.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Dec 21, 2007 9:37 PM

Hey mate, great pics :D Sounded like you had a great (if not busy) time. That's a great idea with the 'box lid, you'll have to post a pic of it. Hows the Buick coming along anyway?

B

Thanks for sharing those super pix Marcus.

Happy birthday,

Benjamin.

Marcus, loving the diversity that your tiki art has taken! Thanks for the pics.
You've "carved" a nice little niche for yourself. :wink:
I do miss seeing you chop out the big guys though. Soon enough, I'm sure.

Wishing you continued success in the New Year, and Merry Christmas!

B

First, I can't blame Moon tiki for getting fresh with the Pin-up girl (lucky bastard), it really looks like you had a Great time and you fit right ion with all the other artists there. Awesome colors on the rods too!

Looking good Marcus, congrats!

DAMN that looks good! incredible man!

B

YOU Too Marcus, What are you hiding from us down there, All Parteed out?

You da man!

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Jan 3, 2008 5:54 AM

TikiBeat

This is great stuff, Marcus. Congrats on the mug launch and Japan show too.

Aloha everyone- thanks so much for all the support and kind words - sorry I havent got back to you with any photos I'm heading over to Hawaii this week to restore two ancient Ku tikis - they have a bad case of footrot - they belong to a developer - not sure if they are needed for hotel or shopping mall. I am sure I will have a heap of photos to post on my return - and will have to get stuck into carving again to get on top of my orders - which have been piling up over the last couple of months.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jan 9, 2008 12:24 AM

On 2008-01-08 23:40, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:
I am sure I will have a heap of photos to post on my return

You better!

I bet Yvette $5.00 you'd be the first to reply hehehe

P

I see you've got some new pics up on your myspace of the current project, and Sven found this somewhere (posted in the "Tiki Torch" thread in General)...

World prominent Australian Idol carver Marcus Thorn fulfills personal dream to carve in Hawaii.

World renowned Australian Idol carver Marcus Thorn is carving in Hawaii after just completing prestigious Mooneyes invitational show in Tokyo, Japan.
Thorn prominent in what is described as “Tiki “ or “ Hot Rod “ circles wanted to explore traditional Polynesian carving style and Hawaii seemed the right place to go for inspiration. “I admire the art of the early carvers’. The piece I am working on is based on old and new references; it is in the Marquesan style.

In preparation for Marcus’ arrival Karen Maguire of Maguire Interiors located a tree slated for removal and had a 12’ section delivered to her Wailupe Circle driveway. Although the neighbors were accustomed to seeing large sculptures come and go her family thought possibly a 12’ log might be too large for her first time carving project.
So did the carver. Although nicknamed the human termite Thorn said “I never ever thought I’d complete a project this large in this amount of time, I just didn’t think it could be done”.

“I am astounded by Marcus ability to think 3 dimensionally; he has executed a beautifully complex and perfectly proportioned piece. The results are beyond my expectations -I just can’t believe it.” Maguire

Marcus second major project while in the Islands is to restore a 6ft pair of 1950’s Hawaiian style idol carvings purchased with other vintage carvings from Maguire Interiors by Nordstrom for their flagship Hawaii location at Ala Moana opening in March.

Karen’s Wailupe neighbors stop by everyday to see the progress, and her family has come around a bit too.

Marcus, you're truly living the dream - hot rod shows in Japan, carving tikis in Hawaii - what's next?

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 20:27 ]

H

Queensland boy done good!!!

T

The human termite? This is even cooler then tiki-beat. :P

Here's a video on Marcus in Hawaii...

http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/3625/110/

P

what happened to you hair?

Just back from Hawaii- Did you see me? No, because I carved like a crazy man. In less than 3 weeks we managed to get a giant leap of a start.

Not nearly enough time left for meeting the locals and visiting Tiki central folks- but plans are to return soon…..
I am happy to announce my work will soon, finally be available in the U.S.!
To accomplish this I have begun a collaboration with Karen Maguire of Maguire Interiors. (Seattle / Honolulu)
Karen is an Interior designer and Hawaiiana and Tiki antiques dealer, and a huge tiki fan!
On arrival she had a 12’ Mango log waiting for me in her driveway – that she now admits may have been an overly ambitious purchase, but great strides were made and I can’t wait to post the shots of our Marquesan “Henry”. Additionally she had a teeny tiny restoration job to do on a big vintage pair you’ll see in the new Nordstrom store @ Ala moana. The restoration was a project and a half and I’ll post those shots as well.
Karen has an extensive art background and lots of clients and contacts in Hawaii so we got off to a great start with our marketing efforts.
A local filmmaker shot an interview of me which is now posted on You-tube. There was also another T.V. appearance on the KGMB morning news.
Additionally there are other interviews and articles in the works and yes, another 8’ log arrived in the driveway.

http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/3625/110/
Inquiries about these projects can be made to Karen directly:
Karen Maguire
Maguire Interiors
Seattle Design Center
5701 6th Ave. South # 206
Seattle, WA. 98108
Mobile 206.799.3599

B
Babalu posted on Sat, Feb 2, 2008 8:21 PM

Marcus,

Just absolutely fantastic work as always, but what is really cool, is to see that you are living out the dream. These are exciting times...

Congratulations!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Feb 2, 2008 9:54 PM

Awesome work all round mate! Work that tiki thang!

Aloha Marcus!!!
Excellent carving my friend! I can't wait to see more of your pics,Aloha, Mooney

H
harro posted on Sun, Feb 3, 2008 7:07 AM

to quote Babalu, these certainly are exciting times indeed for you Marcus!

Congratulations and all the best for these projects. Look forward to hearing more news and seeing some pics and videos when you post them.

cheers,
harro.

Bump!

H
hewey posted on Fri, Mar 28, 2008 5:32 PM

Marcus has been extremely busy, I dont think he has time to scratch himself. Hell, I cant even keep up what country he is carving in! :lol: :lol:

But I found these pics on his myspace spage, so I'll share em with ya :wink: These are from his carving trip to Hawaii (bastard! Yes Im jealous...)

S

Nice Hewey, you gotta love that log.

He's living the dream, that's for sure.

One hell of a log there.

what a kick-ass story to catch up on! rock-on Marcus! very inspiring. i am dreaming of a trip to the islands in the future to carve and tattoo with, and learn from local artists. mahalos for the inspiration to keep up that dream!

B

A thread to dream ! You're definately a killer, Marcus.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1047 replies