Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

tikis by marcus thorn

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1,047 replies

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jun 19, 2010 7:19 PM

Sounds awesome mate! =D Good luck with it

thanks hewey

Tiki Beat Carving Workshop #1

Here are a couple shots of my first workshop - I chose to start the class off on carving a mask out of Coconut - I gave each student the same design - which is marked out on each log - and had a finished piece on show for them to see where they were aiming at. Their enthusiasm was fantastic - the class was set down for four hours but they were still carving five and a half hours later.

I really wasn't sure how this idea of workshops was going to pan out but so far it has exceeded my expectations with demand all over Australia I have planned trips right up to the end of the year and thats just for the Beginners - now I need to find some extra days in my calendar to go back and do the Intermediate workshops and this is all before I have even got my first intermediate done here in Brisbane, this has turned into a great venture and I love teaching and sharing my skills with other people who are so eager to learn.
Kustom Lane Gallery in Melbourne has come on board to give me a fantastic venue for classes being held in October. Dave Maloney in Canberra has put his hand up and generously offered his Shed to hold Canberra workshops. Thanks guys I couldn't do it without your help.

Big Toe came up with an interesting idea last week about getting myself, Benzart and Crazy Al on a panel at next years Tiki Oasis - if anyone is interested in this idea contact Otto and give him some feedback and support, I'd love to be there and meet everybody and hopefully bring some of my work with me to share.

Tiki Beat by Marcus
http://www.tikibeat.com.au

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2010-08-21 18:36 ]

Tiki Beat Workshop # 2

Another great group of enthusiastic students eager to learn carving 101 - I stepped up the numbers for this one and had an extra three students in the class. I don't want to get too many because I want to feel that I am giving everybody a fair share of my time one on one. This class turned into a "Couples" class which was great to see the gals giving it a go and they held their own. Great job Ladies!

For anyone interested in doing my workshops in Australia please contact me by email so I can guide you to the dates and places I have coming up for the rest of 2010.

Tiki Beat by Marcus

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2010-08-21 23:35 ]

B

Awesome Stuff Marcus, I'm SO Happy to see you posting more here on TC, AND doing the Carving Seminars is Great too..

"Big Toe came up with an interesting idea last week about getting myself, Benzart and Crazy Al on a panel at next years Tiki Oasis - if anyone is interested in this idea contact Otto and give him some feedback and support, I'd love to be there and meet everybody and hopefully bring some of my work with me to share."

I'd LOVE to hear about that and it Really might be a fun thing!..

Good on ya Marcus for sharing the stoke!

Great to see ya checking in, and all your students really look like they've caught the bug.

Helps to have a good teacher too! :wink:

H
hewey posted on Sun, Aug 22, 2010 5:20 AM

Looks awesome mate! Ive got a mate from Canberra who was keen so Ive just messaged him about the workshop down there.

Wore my Tiki Beat shirt to vote yesterday :P

B

Just looking around at the great photos of all your students having fun FUN FUN...
This is an Awesome carving,, All yours or did the "kids" help you with it?

Thans Ben - this piece was one I carved a few years ago and it has lived at a surf shop in front of the airport at Coollangatta (surf town) for about six years until we brought our new home - then I picked him up (by crane of course) and placed him in front of the house - he was only there on loan and drew people into the surf shop. The students are fantastic and make my job of teaching a lot easier by enjoying themselves.

As one of the attendees of this awesome event and recent addition to Tiki central !
Thank you Marcus!
For enlightening us with your skills and above all your enthusiasm .
To everyone out there in Tikiland - get on board regardless of your skill /confidence level you'll love the vibe!
Not only is Marcus an awesome artisan he is a top guy .

Don't hesitate get on board end enjoy.

Thank-you again Marcus and Mrs Tikibeat!

Tikistarr

H
hewey posted on Mon, Aug 23, 2010 4:30 AM

Tikistarr, time to start your own thread on here and show us your work! :D

Poster Courtesy of Paul Hughes

BIG CONGRATS on your workshops, Marcus! Lucky, lucky students!!!!
Great talking to you again & all the best to the family, pally.
-Andy
ps Cool poster by Paul~!

Sydney siders I have been offered the Spectacular Seidler House (for you yanks check it out it is a very special modernism home) to hold my workshop in Sydney - very cool opportunity - so please contact me so we can get a workshop happening down there - weekend of 6th and 7th November is looking good for me.

Come on Las Vegas get some numbers together I will be in the nearby neighbourhood of Palm Springs in February 2011.

Hey Andy - if Seattle could get some numbers together I might be able to talk Mrs Tiki Beat to pop over your way whilst we are stateside. I have had some interest from your part of town.

H

It would be great to have a workshop down here in L.A. in Frbruary.

Seidler House... wow great location for some Tiki carving. Email sent.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Oct 26, 2010 7:04 PM

This was posted by Grimbo a mate of mine on an Aussie hot rodding forum, he had a great time at the workshop Marcus held in Canberra. I'm looking forward to the Sydney one :D

Marcus Thorn came to town and conducted one of his carving workshops. It was one of the best things I have done in quite sometime. Two big days of carving, shooting the breeze and of course beers and sh@t stirring. All who attended had a great time, Marcus is a very genuine down to earth bloke and a great teacher to boot.

Well he is a few shots.

Cheers
Sam :D :D

The lads

Marcus and I

And the tiki I carved and just finished staining and oiling.

http://www.kustomkultureaustralia.com

[ Edited by: hewey 2010-10-26 19:05 ]

[ Edited by: hewey 2010-10-27 19:20 ]

S

On 2005-06-01 00:44, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:

This piece was commissioned by Darryl Von Wierdo for an Erotica Art Show at Kingscliff Australia in June 2004

A little about me, I have been involved in the Hot Rod/Rockabilly scene for about 15 years and have been expressing myself through art in one form or another since my early teens - originally through painting. The "Beat" in Tiki Beat is meant to express the Polynesian drums and the Beatnik rythm associated with popculture.

My Tikis are now better travellers than I am - I now have pieces in Japan, England and various states of Australia. Shige Suganuma of Mooneyes proudly displayed in his foyer in Japan. Recently I have been approached to carve pieces for upcoming resort developments in Northern Queensland. It is a very humbling experience to have my artwork admired and sought after.

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn on 2005-06-01 22:16 ]

they look wery cool...

Man I am calling 2010 the year that flew by…it is mind blowing that only 12 months ago I made the decision to give my travelling to Hawaii a break while the US recovers from its financial troubles and concentrate on more adventures closer to home here in Australia and give my workshops a go so here is a recap of 2010.

I carved a piece in collaboration with my good friend James Owen of Car Noir for the The Califonia Screamin Show in California held in April - May 2010. This piece is the Rockabilly Zombie Gear Shifter. One of the first pieces that Jim and I will be working on.

The beginning of the year had me designing a mug for the Wintersun Festival and also organizing two international artists to guest star with me at the Wintersun Festival in June at Coollangatta James Owen of Car Noir and Max Grundy of Fear is the New Beauty. The weekend was a blast we had a great time meeting everyone and selling our art and t-shirts, we really showed the boys from the States how enthusiastic the Australian collectors can be, our stock was quickly depleted.

Then onto my first Workshops in Brisbane, what a great bunch of people, looking back now I was nervous of my ability to teach others how to pull the magic out of logs, and they were so eager to learn, these same students are now showing signs of becoming amongst the best carvers that I have seen in Australia.

My next workshops were in Melbourne and I am always glad to travel to my friends studio at Kustom Lane Gallery and spend time with the people of Melbourne. The demand in Melbourne had me spending two weeks down there for a number of workshops and I look forward to my next one in May 2011.

I have never been to Canberra and was welcomed by the students down there and our hosts David and Mary Maloney were so generous with their home and catering for the weekend.

Then off to Sydney and spend time with my good friend Hewey aka “Andrew Hewson” who hosted the workshop at his home in the West, wow did the weather get hot that weekend but my students were real troupers and carved their way through it. One of the guys travelled three hours each day to get there which is such a huge compliment.

I returned home to the news that I had time for a quick change of clothes, kiss the missus and being flown off to Western Australian by a client to discuss very exciting project that is in the works for next year.

It was also my great privilege to receive an email from the personal Assistant for James Hetfield from Metallica asking if I would have time to come as a VIP guest to one of the gigs being held in Australia. Given my travels at the time I got to choose which town I would go to the concert and I got to take a couple of guests of my choice with me. As it turns out James is a big fan of my work and it was such a surreal experience signing pieces of my work for such a big name. Wow!

I hope you and yours have a great holiday season and see you for more groovy good times and going ons in 2011.

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

And the beat goes on…. Marcus

Great to see you having so much fun with it all Marcus, 'cause that's what its all about!

You ooze talent and deserve all the good things that keep coming to you!

Wishing you a very creative and successful 2011! Keep on bringing a smile to our faces with your updates!

The Metallica story is very cool! Kirk Hammett owns one of my tikis!

B

Really Cool stories Marcus, I Love seeing you get so popular, you have been a real boost to the Tiki Scene down Under and your efforts have really been showing, Congrats.
One of these days, you can come to Florida and do a carving class and I'll sign up.
Hope you had a great CHRISTMAS!

Its already been a crazy busy year for me, I have held my first carving workshop in Brisbane have another couple booked in Brisbane, Gold Coast and Melbourne for the next few months.

I have just returned from a guest artist gig at the very first Rites of Passage Tattoo Convention & Arts Festival held in Royal Exhibition Building Melbourne.

I wanted to say thank you to the people who travelled from far and wide to meet me and enjoyed meeting a bunch of nice people and hanging out with my friends Tony & Janet from Kustom Lane Gallery who set up next to me in “Tiki Town”. The efforts that the organizers put into this event were amazing and I look forward to going back next year for a bigger and better event.

Heading off to the States this week, going to hang out with my pal James Owens of Car Noir in Tennessee and then meet up with Max Grundy and stay with him and the family in LA for a couple of days. Catching up with Leroy and Bob (my carving mentors) for lunch and rum. These guys were part of the original tiki scene in the States back in the day . If you have read the Big Book of Tiki you will know all about them if you haven’t got this book go get it! Its my Bible. Get my MaiTai on at some tiki bars and of course Mrs Tiki Beat will need to get some shopping done. We head off to Palm Springs to promote Australian Modernism and preservation with our very own Lecture on the program, its very exciting to be a guest and take part in the Modernism week . Palm Springs knows how to throw a party and they do it in Style. I will share the highlights of my trip with you when I get back.

P

very cool stuff man!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Feb 9, 2011 3:45 AM

Thanks for the update, make sure you get plenty of pics mate

T6

It was a pleasure to meet the Mrs and you today. I hope you have a great holiday here in the states and safe journey home.

Swanky................................Tiki Beat.......................Tiki 65.......................James Owens
http://www.jamesowensstudio.com/Car-Noir-Automotive-Art_2.html

Thanks to the Swankys and Owens for bringing you and the Mrs over. I look forward to the next time we meet.

Hey Markus

really envy you getting to Palm Springs for Modernism week Maaan...Next Year maybe! Great news also about that future project in the West..if there is any chance of a carving workshop in Perth while your over at some stage I would definitely be interested...

...following the beat

F58 aka Greg

S

Great to have you guys in the Hideaway! Hope we can do some projects in the future or just more down time!

Tiki Beat Melbourne Two Day Workshop - 14 and 15 May at Kustom Lane Gallery Luton Lane Hawthorne - spots still available - personal message to get more details if you want to attend.

H
hewey posted on Sat, May 14, 2011 6:45 AM

Come on mate, I know you've been doing some more carving, dont be shy!

Back from my Tiki n Toxica Show in Melbourne with Big Toe - great weekend. Off to Perth this week for another project, before I go here are some pics of my recent stuff that I havent had a chance to share with you all.

This piece was for the Rites of Passage Tattoo Show in Melbourne

Tiki N Toxica - Gilligans Island Episode "Litte Buddy meets the Headhunters"

Fun and Games at Tiki 'n' Toxica Gallery show

Paul Hughes Artist with Tiki Beat

Big Toe Tom Laura with Tiki Beat - such a cool guy great to finally catch up

Big Toe and Tony Owner of Kustom Lane Gallery..contemplating "are we next?"

Big Toe and Tiki beat radio interviews to promote the show

Fond Farewells?

Original Shifter SOLD and new Resin Moulds now for sale $60.00

Tiki Beat with creator of Tiki Beat moulds Chris Schultz

Making new friends and getting myself into trouble

The Mai Tai makers, Janet Peake wife of Tony and owner of Kustom Lane Gallery her sister Dianne and the lovely Natalie

Very talented artist Dave Kohlman - Barber by day and artist by night - keep your eye out for this guy he is going places.

Okay so this should catch you all up on some of my latest activities...be back soon

Totally Sweeeeeet Work!

M

That Maori swirled piece is dynamic Marcus. Can you give a little more time in it's development/ photography?

Inspirational as would be any post from you sir.

Mahalo

McTiki

Hello all,

I am working on a very exciting project for a bar, sworn to secrecy so cant share photos at the moment...but I will as soon as I can.

I will be heading back over to Hawaii in July to do a little project and catch up with all my friends over there. I arrive on 17 July until 1 August. Get back to me if you want to join me for cocktail hour in Waikiki.

Will be hanging at the antique and collectibles fair on the 22nd and 23rd July.

Okay I going to sign off and get some carving done. Cheers to all

HOK

Thirsty?? :drink: :D Catch you when you get here! Freddie

Hey Marcus,the tiki intoxica show was a blast and your gilligan
peice was awesome as usaul!It was rad to meet Tom laura and painting
we scored looks amazing in our lounge.Speaking of secrets I had the chance
to have a peek at new tiki bar thats opening in Melbourne and it totally
blew me away.Cant wait to smash a few maitai's.Cheers Watango.

T

I have not posted anything for a long time but I am gazing frequently at all the new stuff that is going on here and getting lost in the depth of tiki central. I enjoy your combination of traditional tiki carving and the hotrod/monster/voodoo/rockabilly ideas you realize. This is huge.

SHOW ME THE TIKI!!!!!!!

Been holding my breath for months.....................................

Here are a few pics from my big project that has kept me busy for the last few months. I was approached by a Hotel who wanted Tiki Beat to design (from Tiki mugs right down to the menus, swizzle sticks and keychains...and much much more), carve and label their renovation, great compliment, bigger job than I could have imagined at the time but I took it on and here are some of my carvings in the progress...watch this space as the "Tiki Beat" bar takes shape. So apologies for my lack of contact on here but its been hectic. I wish I had some of my mates in the States closer by so they could share some of the load of the carvings. Oceanic Arts are of course helping me out with the props.
Three more months of carving and I must share with you that I am not a big fan of carving posts, too shallow for me I love more depth and three dimensional have to stop myself going to deep. More bigs tikis start soon yeah!

Tiki Beat by Marcus

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2012-01-11 20:23 ]

H
Heath posted on Wed, Jan 11, 2012 8:48 PM

Stunning work Marcus!

Top Notch!

Wow.

Dream job for sure.

Everything looks incredible Marcus!

The poles have some awesome detail.

Good luck as you continue... and congrats!!!

Fantastic opportunity.
Keep us posted.

I love the fish tails. This is gonna be an exciting project to follow. Please keep up the updates. Where is it?

K
Keylo posted on Thu, Jan 12, 2012 7:19 AM

yeah this brings a whole new meaning to Fish Sticks, love the crazy amazing detail. This already has the look of a legendary tiki mecca. Killer stuff Mastah Thorn! Send mo pics when you can.

Great detail on those pieces! Looks like a hell of a project!

C
cy posted on Thu, Jan 12, 2012 8:36 AM

Fantastic work Tiki Beat! A lasting project worthy of your considerable talents. Try to keep us all updated.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jan 14, 2012 3:51 AM

Looks amazing mate :D

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1047 replies