Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

tikis by marcus thorn

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1,047 replies

On 2006-11-27 00:31, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:
Tama - You got it! that is exactly what I was trying to create. This piece is not for sale - purely for exhibit - I have selfishly opted to keep this one as I rarely get to express one for me - most of my work is commissioned to appeal to the client. I get a little sad selling all my work so ITS MINE ALL MINE!! - wife says PM her and she will discuss a price.

**Jumping back to the flying eye: Fair enuff too!!! There's nothing wrong with keeping the odd piece that has that Kapow! X-factor going on; there will never be another quite like it & can always be thought of as a nest-egg or emergency sale piece.

As for bending yourself/your art to suit the customer; this has been on my mind lately. Its a tough one to avoid & another good reason to hang on to 'your' work!

I wont be contacting your wife for a price - Im sure it is (deservedly) way out of my Xmas budget :lol: Just curious...

Cant wait to see your next offering!

Tama :)

Wonderful work again Marcus. You really brought the drummer to life, and the finish looks beautiful!

That's a good one!

i would like to say thankyou for the great support i have good news the flying eye is going to be in a movie not a speaking part more as an extra as his agent i am very proud.
thankyou mctiki paipo ben tamapoutini benella harro lakesurfer tikidiablo
hewey man of many words whats wrong mate
johnnyp i sit down with my client and work on a tiki or a theme.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Dec 5, 2006 6:09 PM

On 2006-12-05 14:25, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:
hewey man of many words whats wrong mate

Short lunch, many tiki threads to check out... :(

no just mine

P

i haven't posted to you in awhile. i'm beating myself up for not being there. you are one of the most prominent carvers of our time and i want to learn from you.

tell yvonne hello and just know that you continue to inspire me.

wow thank you pdrake for the kind words just keep at it and have fun

Here is another little project that I have underway - this one was inspired by Ben - my mate was doing up a hot rod and wanted a gear shift knob with attitude and this guy definitely has attitude! This mate is my tattooist

B

Marcus, This guy looks SWEET, glad to see you taking Lots of pic's. Can't wait to see more of this guy. Thanks for the whatever you call it. He certaianly makes my hook bladd hand start to twitch!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Dec 19, 2006 5:11 PM

Was just thinking about time for some new stuff... sweet

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Dec 19, 2006 6:05 PM

Looking fine as always Marcus, it's pretty cool to see you tackling something a litlle smaller. What sort of wood are you using? Looks like it's quite hard?
Nice shot of your tatt too (!), is that a lil' Ryden style Marquesan I can see banging away there?

T

On 2006-11-26 17:08, rodeotiki wrote:
I cant find words to say how freaking awesome that is...

Yeah, I agree.

Sorry I'm late to your thread TBBMT but that flying eye guy is really nice! I'll be keeping a closer flyin' eye on this thread myself from here on!

Quality work ! Keep 'em comin'! That tat is too too!

Greg

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-12-19 20:33 ]

KK

Nice Marcus!!! I work the same way, right in the palm of the hand!!! Who needs a table and a vise?!?! Looking good bruddah.

Im glad to be back here on TC brah, Im gonna go back and see what youve been up to these last 6 months!

A hui Ho bruddah!!!

B

Really nice, your mate may be very happy.
How was the shape of your piece of wood before sculpting? Like a log?
What kind of wood is it?

I have the pix of this masterpiece since i've seen it.
I know this will influence me.

Benjamin.

B

On 2006-12-22 11:03, benella wrote:

I have the pix of this masterpiece since i've seen it.

That means :"I have the pix of this masterpiece in my head since i've seen it :)

Benjamin.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Dec 23, 2006 3:33 PM

Im a couple of days late posting it, but

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Seasons Greetins everyone - here is some more progress shots of the little Maori gear shift knob.

Thanks Ben, Hewey, Benella and Paipo - the wood that I used was a hardwood not sure what species of tree it came from - just one of the many bits I have laying around to experiment on. You are right Paipo my tat does have a bit of Ryden influence in it - another form of immortalising a great artist is to wear it on your skin and show more people.

Tiki gap - glad to meet you sir, dont be a stranger.

Kahakii it is very nice to hear from you - I do like to work with my pieces in my hands where possible - I can feel the energy of the piece. I am not sure if I have mentioned it - I am travelling to Hawaii in July 2007- would be great to meet up with you and get a personal guide of some of the tiki must sees.

Hewey, thanks for the birthday greeting - as I consider the whole month of December my birth month - never to late to send well wishes.

T

Had that Micky ear thing going on, but you got so much life out of the wood. Turning wood to flesh can't be that easy.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Dec 28, 2006 4:09 PM

looks sweet mate. Now back to work!

Can I hide in the luggage when you go to Hawaii? :)

Hewey - I think if you give up the Krispy Kremes today - I might be able to carry you.

TeaKEY - Everything looks a little cartoony when you first start on them - its getting them to go from anime to reality that is the hard task - I love a challenge.

Nice chops on this one Marcus... really coming to life!

B

MARCUS, Your guy is Really coming to life. I'm beginning to fear for my job here, Cant wait to see him finished.

This guy is really looking great.

Here's my criticism - The back of the head needs to be better defined. The skull should come under to meet the neck, with the neck more pronounced. Everything else is so nicely proportioned that the back of the head looks like you skipped it. Thats just my opinion.

"Here's my criticism - The back of the head needs to be better defined. The skull should come under to meet the neck, with the neck more pronounced. Everything else is so nicely proportioned that the back of the head looks like you skipped it. Thats just my opinion."

Critique from Aloha Station

Thanks for the critique - much appreciated - however because I am modeling this guy off a traditional Maori tiki - necks were very thick - and straight down at the back of the head - they were not into a lot of definition in the back - I guess because a lot of the pieces would have been leaned against walls etc. I like to stick to as much traditional work as I can. When I do my beatnik gearshift knob (customer waiting on this one) I will take your words into consideration - as it will be based on a human skull.

Finished - hope you like him - I do - and my mate is wrapped!

I'm off to Kustom Nats (three day road trip each way) in Melbourne for a week in Waz's chopped Disotto - talk to you all next week.

T

Very nice finish! I like the eyes - are they painted? The tatts a nice and clean - all proportional. Nice work!

Have a blast in the deSoto! I can just imagine how much fun it would be to be blasting across the outback in AU in a classic car like that! Be careful! What's a roo do the front bumber at 70-80 miles per hour?

B

Marcus, I Love how he turned out. Beautiful clean lines and beautiful Moko.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jan 2, 2007 1:18 PM

Looks great mate! Make sure you get some pics of that Desoto!

And make sure you keep us up to date on that new painting of yours too :)

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jan 2, 2007 3:12 PM

That's great stuff man! How did you get his eyes to look like glass? Wikkid!

J

Stunning! Great tat work. What is that carving behind him?

JP

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jan 4, 2007 2:19 PM

I'm off to Kustom Nats (three day road trip each way) in Melbourne for a week in Waz's chopped Disotto - talk to you all next week.

I did have some pics here of Marcus and his buddies here, but the guy who posted them must have deleted them... Note to self - save images and post them myself

What's a roo do the front bumber at 70-80 miles per hour

At that speed, a roo makes a mess of the car, not just the bumper. Im talking it kills the car!

Kustom Kahoona* - Tiki and Hot Rod Art by Hewey*

[ Edited by: hewey 2007-01-14 13:46 ]

B

Not to steal any thunder from your Ultimate Maori, but explain more about this Hula girl off the screen to the right If you would. Is she a reeal life model? A painting?
Perhaps a blow up doll or maniquin? She certainly is beautiful! I would certainly love to see pictures of your studio space there, it really looks magical, with never before seen glimpses of your secretive art world. C'Mon, PLEEZE???

Oh Yes,,HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BirthDay!!!

[ Edited by: Benzart 2007-01-04 15:08 ]

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jan 4, 2007 3:11 PM

On 2007-01-04 15:07, Benzart wrote:
Not to steal any thunder from your Ultimate Maori, but explain more about this Hula girl off the screen to the right If you would. Is she a reeal life model? A painting?
Perhaps a blow up doll or maniquin? She certainly is beautiful! I would certainly love to see pictures of your studio space there, it really looks magical, with never before seen glimpses of your secretive art world. C'Mon, PLEEZE???

Mate, Ive slept in his tiki room, I coul tell you all about the room, the stuff he has in it, the story behind the hula girl... but i wont! :) Ill leave that to Marcus.

B

You SLEPT There and Lived to tell about it??? cool

To explain my absence from this great forum I have put some photos of my latest work - I have been spending my days on this mural for the last three weeks the mural was commissioned by a Fishing Club - back to carving this week. I was asked to refrain from painting any tikis ...I cant see any tikis, just rocks mate....let me explain my appearance by saying it is summer here in Queensland and it is bloody hot so long shirt and shorts is my protection against the sun for my tats

Tiki Beat by Marcus
http://www.tikibeat.com.au

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2007-03-03 15:19 ]

H
hewey posted on Sat, Feb 24, 2007 5:29 PM

Dude you musta been hot!

Nice mural by the way

B

Nice mural. No Tikis huh? I like the name on the boat, they let you slide that one in? Also hat strange pile of rocks, I don't see any close-up shots of them.?? They look very interesting and familiar.
Good to see you again Marcus. we've missed you a wee bit. Now get back on with the wood carving and ,,,Don't forget to "show and Tell" your work shop there with pic's and explainations of the pieces there, hula girls and all!
Thanks mate!

Cool Marcus. The mural has a soothing effect. Dig that beat.

Nice one Marcus. What are the dimensions of it?

Your rocks Rock! (you dont think they're going to notice??) :wink:

Back to the 3-D with you!

Tama :)

thanks ben pictures of my studio soon thanks hewey and jungle trader and tamapoutini the dimensions ar 16 by 8 foot back soon

I think it's our duty as tiki torch carriers, to try and hide at least one tiki into every last little piece of art we ever create!
-Nice work!

spot on surfintiki thanks

M

I spy a Moai on it's back disguised as a set of rocks!

Very nice sir!

Splains the absense well!

Mahalo

McTiki

thanks mctiki take care

Quote from Benzart

As requested Ben I have taken photos of my "studio - Tiki Room" (or as my wife refers to it Arrgghhhh!)

The story of my Hula girl - would you believe somebody threw this beauty into a skip (thats a dumpster for you yanks) - she was a mannequin for Billabong Surf Shop, her rescuer was a lady who new that I would appreciate this little girl. She stands 5foot.

The rest of the room is a mixture of inspiration and a very large collection of gifts from friends and clients near and far. I have utilised a couple of vintage bamboo bars to store my stuff and display it in some kinda order.

I need to buy myself a tiki bar so I can show off all this stuff to Australians - I have a huge stash of memorabillia on Australian Tiki stuff, and my wife would love to see the end of my "studio" at home.

Tiki Beat by Marcus
http://www.tikibeat.com.au

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2007-03-12 23:17 ]

Oh and to prove I havent been just sitting in my studio playing with my tikis - photos of my latest piece - it is a gear shift knob for a 32 salt flat drag car.

The request was for a customised WW1 German helmet as they are using helmets like air cleaners and the client wanted to streamline all of the accessories. So it started with the helmet and grew from there

H

On 2007-03-12 23:05, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:
I need to buy myself a tiki bar so I can show off all this stuff to Australians - I have a huge stash of memorabillia on Australian Tiki stuff, and my wife would love to see the end of my "studio" at home.

Mate, if you ever need to downsize, well give me a call :) I particularly think those Mooneyes mugs take up too much room... :D :D

This is actually a really nice bamboo covered bar. So Marcus turns it around and uses it as shelves...

What about a nice big tiki hut up the back of your block? Yvette could get some peace and quiet in the house, and you could store all of your tiki collection in there, and Yvette would get another room in the house... :D

The shifter actually has quite a monkey look about it, but Im guessing it's going to be a skull? Nice

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1047 replies