Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

tikis by marcus thorn

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1,047 replies

H
hewey posted on Mon, Apr 23, 2007 9:21 PM

He got a flat belly, being Marcus it can only mean something cool and different

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Apr 24, 2007 2:57 AM

He looks great Marcus! I've always loved your "toes to nose" progress. What a wild approach to carving you have!!! I love the thickness-feeling I get from your pics. They always feel so "substantial." Yeah, I'm a fan......

-Gman

To explain the way I carve its like I already see the tiki in full laying there in the wood - so I pick my point at the feet usually and just work my way up. I hadnt really noticed that I do this until a few of you pointed it out - it does seem a little strange now that you mention it!

Babalu - I stained the little head and rubbed it back until I am happy with the wood exposure that shows through and then I put a matt lacquer finish on it. any choice of stain will work.

Hewey - thanks for the nice comment mate
GMan - thanks for pointing out my funny carving style - and for the admiration very humbling.
Tamapoutini - I am no big fan of "nazi" insignias but I wanted to complete the car design chosen by the owner so I had to compliment it with my gear shift knob. Thank you for your complimentary words - the belly will be a traditional style belly and like I mentioned above I really didnt see it until you fellas pointed it out, I guess the inner carver in me takes over and its not until I step back and look at the piece that I can see for the first time what I have created. Bit of a buzz.

Ben - as always thank you for stopping by and commentary - I hope you like these next progress shots.

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Apr 25, 2007 3:50 PM

I wouldn't worry much about the helmet, the Imperial style predates WW1 and was long gone in Germany by Hitler's time. I was just rereading my "Lowbrow art of Robert Williams" book the other day and he's a huge collector of these, so they have obviously had a long association with lowbrow/hotrod culture.

Another powerful looking tiki Marcus - as Benz said we are lucky to get these pics. Seems like everyone's gone pendant crazy these days and we don't get to see as many big boys as we used to. These to me really are the closest I've seen here in form and surface treatment to the old museum pieces from Hawaii, but with enough originality to make them your own.
It is also pretty interesting to look at how you work these out from the bottom up. I thought there was going to be some sort of attachment on the belly too?

B

This is another typical Excellent Marcus Tiki. You need to know that I am VERY Envious of your ability to create these traditional looking pieces with such ease. Also, Paipo hits the nail on the head with his assessment of your Museum quality work standing alone in the community. You have no idea just how terrific your work is and the impact it has on me and other artists. Thanks for the pictures, HappyHappyahappy.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Apr 25, 2007 5:00 PM

Indeed! Happy Happy!!

Lookin Sharp Marcus!

wow i love you alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

H
hewey posted on Thu, Apr 26, 2007 4:59 PM

Hows that Buick coming along mate? Should be getting somewhere? Is that "custom body" sign for it or kustom city?

oh yeh, super sweet tiki! :D

i will post some pics of the buick soon the sign is for kustom city thanks hewey

H
hewey posted on Thu, May 3, 2007 9:11 PM

Literally just got off the phone to Marcus... some nice sounding big projects coming up - can't wait to see the pics :D That is, if that pesky overseas trip doesn't keep getting in his way! Tough life mate, must be hard... :lol: :lol:

Marcus, top chops as usual.

Not so odd in your carving style. I always start with the mouth. Usually the deepest part of the tiki and a mid point for the figure. I'm in the big head, smaller body school of tikis. For me, the process is mouth, teeth, eyes, headress, then body.

After a late winter of primarily mask carving, I'm able to get outdoors and wrestle with the big hogs again. Just scored a bunch of 6-9 footers. Feels good to swing the 12 oz mallet, but the arms and shoulders are killing me. Looks like you've got a nice stockpile of hefty logs in the background. :wink:

Love the side projects you've always got going, and good to see the big boys being carved out. Keep up the good work!

H
hewey posted on Sun, May 6, 2007 6:18 PM

On 2007-04-28 15:05, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:
i will post some pics of the buick soon the sign is for kustom city thanks hewey

Here's a pic of the Buick and the sign :D

B

I've seen LOW Riders before, but this is the Lowest of the low, and it looks like the paint ran a bit too.
I have a feeling it will end up being Really Sweet though. I love it's guardian tiki.

Marcus,
Your tool marks on that traditional tiki are gorgeous! I think you could charge admission just to let people view your work.
:drink:
S
T

Hewey thanks for posting the pic - how did you get your hands on that so fast?
Thanks lakesurfer - I used to get a little sore at the beginning of a big project but I guess I have had so many biggies of late that my muscles are used to it - we dont tuck ourselves away for winter in Queensland - very mild winters so I get to keep at it without sweating so much which is great. My wife calls me the Crab - one big arm and one smaller one.
Ben - my preference is for low cars but I will have to raise it a little to get it registered - lots of time and bucks going into the fabrication on this beast - keeps me honest though working hard to get my car on the road.
Good idea Sneaky tiki - that will be $10.00 AUD thanks - I take paypal only joking thank you so much for the compliment.

More progress on the Akua - nearly finished...

H
hewey posted on Wed, May 9, 2007 6:43 PM

Hey Marcus. This guy’s looking great, but no surprises there mate :D

Hewey thanks for posting the pic - how did you get your hands on that so fast?

How’d I get the pics so quick? Just like I got the pics of The Beatniks at some country town servo – I’ve got connections… :lol:

B

BIG Bold and Beautiful! Another Museum piece by the Marcus. I'm sitting here shaking my head and spreading drool everywhere, Thanks. :) :) :)

B

More and more beautiful, Marcus.
Your precision is uncredible.

ben your encouragement is a major driving factor for my work hewey i hope you continue to use your connections for good and not evil power can be a dangerous thing benella thanks for the compliment

K

Man, your work is always amazing. Always dig the updates.

B

Marcus,

These pictures are great! I'm learning a great deal from your chisels cuts...your strokes looks aggressive and precise....each cut taking away, more or less, the same size chip of wood. Very cool design too.

I'm not sure if that ride in the picture is yours, but I'm seriously all creamy like over those rear bumper after burners on that pony.

kahaka and babalu a big thanks for the compliment babalu the buick is my baby

Akua's looking so great! Can't wait to see him finished and all standing up!
thanks for sharing the goods!

I love all the tools marks on this guy. I hope you keep them. Your work is amazing Marcus, thanks for sharing. :drink:

thanks little lost tiki and finkdaddy for your encouragement

..and some more progress on akua..sorry it is taking a while to post these pics - I have a couple of projects on the go at the moment

J

Sweet! Tops!

JP

M

Marcus, I am always in Awe of the larger carvings folks here do. Yours are certainly no exception.

Awesome!

Mahalo

McTiki

H
hewey posted on Mon, May 21, 2007 3:48 PM

Looking very nice, as always. You'll have to post some pics of these 'other projects' sometime too :D

G
GMAN posted on Mon, May 21, 2007 4:32 PM

Oooooohhhhhhhh!!! :D Thanks Marcus....I needed that. Looking tight!

-G

Man, that looks like some hard ass wood. Just has a heavy look to it. Probably not though?

The headress is great Marcus, haven't seen anything like that yet. Looking great!

Thanks for the pics!

B

Definitely a Beautiful, traditional piece and I have the Perfect spot for him right next to my front door. Marcus, you Really have a God given talent that most carvers would sell their soul for. You are a fortunate man!

B

Killer Work Marcus! I'm in awe man!

H

A awesome piece of wood full of style and beautiful chisel textures. I love the cartoon influence in your carvings. It´s balm for my eyes!

On 2007-05-21 18:33, Benzart wrote:
Definitely a Beautiful, traditional piece and I have the Perfect spot for him right next to my front door. Marcus, you Really have a God given talent that most carvers would sell their soul for. You are a fortunate man!

Whooooahhh! He's not kidding! Top chop Marcus! Cant wait to see this guy all finished. Can you tell us where he's going..? -HEAPS cheaper to get him to MY front door I reckon! :wink:

Bravo! Tama :)

B

Gee Thanx Tama the Terrible!, I really wanted him for MY Front door. :(
Oh well, Some lucky person will really enjoy him, I'm sure.

Benzart thanks once again for your kind words of encouragement carving master, this tiki was promised to a Hot Rod Mag as they want to put him in their Foyer but I would be happy to carve you a smaller tiki that I could post to you.
Tamapoutini - I guess I could set a tiki on a raft to you mate. Thanks to Babalu Haikai Lakesurfer GMan Hewey McTiki Johnny P for your positive feedback as always.

I have been selected to carve for a very prestigous exhibit in September and have been spending most of my time on this big fella - he is 16 foot long by 2 foot across (I am under restrictions about posting any pics of this tiki until after the exhibit - which is a bit of a drag, but makes him even more mysterious and builds some suspense for you all) He will be the "Tiki Beat" tiki once completed and hope to use him for mugs and stuff. As I am heading off for two weeks to Hawaii in July I have been hammering away hard core to get some progress on this one.

More progress shots on the akua for you all to check out..

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 31, 2007 3:23 AM

Oh man, that is great. I mean like perfect great. I think you need to send this one to Ben so I can go over and steal it from him - or at least touch it. You never cease to impress Marcus. I don't know how you do it man, but I am very glad that you do.

A sixteen footer, aye? Please let us see some shots when it is all done and delivered. Congrats on that and on the set work you did for the Starter Wife movie. I will be looking for your work in the movie.

-G

This is "perfect"...just like every tiki you do Marcus.I can't imagine anything that could
have been done better or differently. Always look forward to seeing your progress and finished
pics.

H
hewey posted on Thu, May 31, 2007 5:37 AM

Not bad for a beginner mate, but you really need to practice your carving more, and not waste your time on things like trips to Hawaii... :lol: :lol: :lol:

So this guys going to Cruzin HQ? Cool :D Can't wait to see pics of the big guy too. What happens with big mr tiki beat after the exhibition thing?

B

Marcus,

I can’t help but to keep jumping in here…this work just bowls me over. Be sure to take a couple of progress pictures on the 16 footer. Yep, the anticipation is building for sure! You have me biting at the bit to see the “Sweet Sixteen”.

Yes this is nice work.
And the pictures there are great to follow the process
Also I saw a nice tattoo.
I toughed to recognize a tiki?

B

WOW, marcus, your tiki is absolutely fabulous.

Thanks for sharing these progress pix with you carving at the same time: it is very interesting.

If there is any podium at this exhibit, I'm sure you will be on top.

Bravo,

Benjamin.

B

Woah, this guy is Spectacular, I'm really loving the sweet lines and curves. Super body and the headdress looks like it will be pure magic.

wow thanks gman congatiki hewey i think. babalu mailman benella and ben for your encouragement it keep me going

J

I think we need a video of you carving. You tikis kick some major &(*. I waiting to see the pictures of your 16 ft tiki. Congrats on the set design opportunity.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1047 replies