Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Clysdalle's art ..FINISHED...New Islander Headhunter painting complete with process pics!!.. pg.67!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 999 replies

RH

Man 'O War is a slick piece, you obviously know how to create forms that pull the eye in (like the jellyfishes tendrils).

Gilligan's Revenge is an INSTANT CLASSIC.

Hey thanks Robb I really appreciate that! I like to try and mix it up.....while constantly trying new stuff.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Feb 9, 2011 3:47 AM

Love the depth in that man-o-war painting

Thanks Hewey!! Trying to keep it fresh!

Well it's been a while...but I've been working on a new octopus painting so I thought I'd toss up some progress shots from this weekends live painting demo in Oceanside, CA...

"Lurking at Fifty Fathoms"

You can see the full progress shots here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dlozeau/sets/72157626505526430/with/5632946171/

I'll post up a pic when I get the final photographed...thanks for checking it out!

Very cool!

BS

i like the first two pics. with "Support your local red and white" and the hand with cell phone taking a photo. oh Oceanside...

Haahaha...BigSwig, I didn't even notice the shirt..got to love Oceanside. I do tons of events there and it brings out all kinds.

Hey thanks also Zero!

Here is the finished picture...all done...

Lurking at Fifty Fathoms
David Lozeau Design Image 24 x 36 Gouache and Enamel on Canvas

Sick painting! Love it!!!!

Thanks Sneaky!

Ok, here is a new project that I'm hoping to finish up at the live painting demo in Escondido this weekend....

This one reminds me of an old pulp mag cover....like if 20,000 leagues was written in 1978. Here is a few of the process pics, the full set can be found here http://www.flickr.com/photos/dlozeau/sets/72157626508794753/with/5711851518/

Gouache and enamel on a surfboard

I'll post of some pics of the finished work next week!

Lurking at Fifty Fathoms RAWKS!
Do u need me to tell you how friggin cool your art is? It so IS! Strong bold and sweet! I DIG IT!

Hey thanks Brad! I really appreciate that. I know it's not as tiki as some of the work here but I feel like they go hand in hand. Thanks for checkin out the work!!

H
hewey posted on Sat, May 14, 2011 6:43 AM

Love the sense of depth and desnity in 'fifty fathoms', looks ace!

And LOVING the new surfboard piece too, the base texture is awesome, the layout of the image is great on the board and there's a hint of steampunk to the dive gear, all capped off in your usual strong style. Want!

I really dig that diver, man. Capitol!

I'd love to have Lurking At Fifty Fathoms as a mural on the side of an old Chevy van!!

Thanks guys! This one has been really cool to work on...and something I've wanted to do for a while. Here is where I finished up at the event yesterday...still have a few hours left...

Just got a shot of the finished board...off to the photographer it goes...

"The Harvest"

Really amazing!

Thanks Sandra!!

Finally....

here is the finished pic back from the photographer...Thanks for following along!

The Harvester

Looks amazing Dave. Best piece you've ever done. Very, very cool.

Great work! is this influenced by 20,000 Leagues under the sea?

Hey thanks guys! This is really one of my favorites too!

Chuck, glad you picked that up.....there is some 20,000 leagues all over this bad boy, always loved that movie.

Getting ready for Oasis! First up...just finished my Burro for the Burros, Black Velvets and Other Delights at Tiki Oasis this year. Also starting a few new pieces for the show so come check out the both!!

Well now that the Oasis drama is behind us....on to the painting I was going to live paint at the event. I can't let a good piece go unpainted, so lets get started!

First up....worked out a background to set my jungle mood...colors on this cell pic are SUPER green

Better shot of the finished background....and now starting on the bone and bamboo throne of my headhunter god....

Sorry the pic is crappy...live painting at a local street fair at night is not the best photo environment, but here I'm adding in color to the roughed in shape.

Now the fun part, starting to add the linework and carve out the details.....the skulls, the bones, the little whatchamacallits

That's all for now...I'll probably finish this tonight and over the weekend so I'll continue the progress update!

[ Edited by: Clysdalle 2011-08-26 10:20 ]

[ Edited by: Clysdalle 2011-08-26 14:58 ]

T

Holy Shit that's nice so far! WOW!

Hey thanks G!

Here is where it was left last night....again, crappy cell pics but just to give you an idea of the detail getting laid down and what is left...

Nice! I think that's my favorite of all your backgrounds!

Hey thanks man! Almost finished...got a bunch done tonight...so I'll post up some pics in the morning!

Finished....sorry I skipped a few progress shots..but I got caught up in the home stretch and just started tossing paint around....

This painting was inspired the by the old Twilight Zone episode "Time Enough at Last"...as I thought about a headhunter collecting all the trophies he could. Killing animals, other tribes....everything he could as he piled up the trophies and glory. When that's all done.....he realizes there is nothing left to do, nobody left to share the vicotory with...and that he's locked himself on the island alone.

Here he is...

"Nothing left to hunt"
16x20
Enamel and Gouache

[ Edited by: Clysdalle 2011-08-29 11:24 ]

Looks great David!

Awesome... I love the background texture! Your 20,000 Leagues themed piece was very cool too I recognized the helmet and suit immediately. :)

Bitchen, I love it!!

Hey thanks guys....really enjoyed banging this one out!

Tigertail...good catch! I've been wanting to add a tribute to that movie since it was my favorite movie and ride as a kid. I have a few more sketches in mind so you may not have seen the last of them!

Clysdalle!

This is a powerful piece! Love the mood you created with th background...

Couple quick questions, if you do not mind:

Once you completed your background and began to outline the headhunter and his throne, did you outline it by brush or pen or what? Just curious... I see the pics of you brushing in after you've outlined, but wondering your process for the initial outlining...

Once again, fantastic piece (I also loved your Harvester surfboard piece!)

Peace,
Jason <

Hey Dave!

Thanks man......appreciate the kinds words, and funny timing as that painting just sold this weekend.

So for this painting, once the background was put down I transferred my sketch to the board with carbon paper and then layered gouache down to build up my highlights and shadows. After those whites and colors are down I put use a brush to outline the entire piece and build up all the detail...just a long script synthetic haired liner.

Thanks man!

On 2011-12-11 23:35, TikiDaye wrote:
Clysdalle!

This is a powerful piece! Love the mood you created with th background...

Couple quick questions, if you do not mind:

Once you completed your background and began to outline the headhunter and his throne, did you outline it by brush or pen or what? Just curious... I see the pics of you brushing in after you've outlined, but wondering your process for the initial outlining...

Once again, fantastic piece (I also loved your Harvester surfboard piece!)

Peace,
Jason <

Clysdalle,

Cool... So after you lay down the gouache and then brush on the black, is the black acrylic, enamel, gouache....?

The black pops so well, just curious...

...and congrats on the recent sale.

Peace,
Jason Daye <

Hey Jason,

The black is actually a dark green enamel...and it really ties the entire work together and has that old school cartoon cell/ink feeling.

Thanks again man!

On 2011-12-13 22:28, TikiDaye wrote:
Clysdalle,

Cool... So after you lay down the gouache and then brush on the black, is the black acrylic, enamel, gouache....?

The black pops so well, just curious...

...and congrats on the recent sale.

Peace,
Jason Daye <

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 999 replies