Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Clysdalle's art ..FINISHED...New Islander Headhunter painting complete with process pics!!.. pg.67!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 999 replies

Great new pieces Clysdalle!

Hey Thanks Sam!

Got some more work done on the Mai-Franks last night.....home stretch tonight as I finish them up between trips to the truck loading up all my stuff...Don't forget to come inside and see the indoor vendors!!

On 2009-08-12 11:31, Tobor64 wrote:
I had a question regarding painting on ceramic mugs: Do you use your standard One-Shot enamel & if so, how does it hold up to cleaning/washing?

Since Clysdalle just brushed you off
off twittering or ruinin another one of pappy's handiwork i reckon....
I'll step in here and answer for him"
Enamel-once dry
should hold up to cleaning and washing quite fine!
Not sure about puttin it in the dishwasher too much,tho!
Hope that helps!

On 2009-08-12 11:31, Tobor64 wrote:
All your work looks great (as always) & I'm sure you'll be a crowd pleaser at Oasis. I had a question regarding painting on ceramic mugs: Do you use your standard One-Shot enamel & if so, how does it hold up to cleaning/washing?

Hey Tobor,

I use the standard lead free one shot....so it should stand up to hand washing and spilled beverage, no problem at all. For those that don't know, the paint that I use is the same that sign painters and pinstripers use so it drys glossy, stays bright, and is pretty tough! Thanks for asking Tobor.

copycat!
:lol:
see you tomorrow!

Well as always....sneaking in under the wire....Just finished these custom mugs for Oasis....dry and ready to be tossed in the truck (carefully)

See you all in a few hours!!!

Well it's been a busy month and just because tiki oasis is done...the machine does not stop working. I just my copy of Garage Magazine issue #19 in the mail and it features a great interview done by the guys over there including pics of the studio and process shots. The upside is I now have my boy band album cover photo shot ready to go!!!

You can read the full spread here....

http://www.davidlozeau.com/pdfs/Garage_spread_sept.pdf

Very nice article and pics!
But why are you holding a mallet and chisel, do you carve tikis?

:P

C

That's what I eat with....do they have another purpose?

On 2009-09-01 13:11, 4WDtiki wrote:
Very nice article and pics!
But why are you holding a mallet and chisel, do you carve tikis?
:P

That's what he draws with,Bill!
:lol:

couldn't resist!
and great "deer in the headlights" photo,Dave!
:)

C

Here is as smattering of some new stuff from the studio, starting to play with ink and watercolor a bit more....now that these are done it's time to carve!!

and a sketch from a live model session.....they probably won't have me back :wink:

SPFU.... :lol:

Nice ink/watercolors...
The fun part is that you can get concepts out quicker
YAY!

M
mp posted on Wed, Sep 2, 2009 7:30 PM

Cool new work Clydesdale. I love the brightness of watercolors and of
course....skulls. Awesome job.

C

Thanks MP....I have to admit I do like the ability to render ideas faster and mix/blend colors in ways I don't get a chance to do with enamels.

[ Edited by: clysdalle 2009-09-09 13:12 ]

C

Nothing new started yet...but here are a few more sketches new and old from my book that are not completely on topic....

K
kirby posted on Thu, Sep 10, 2009 9:22 AM

I just saw your artwork on the news.. some chick was talking about sum taco sauce or sumthing...nice!!

L

Just got a chance to pick up Garage today. Great article Dave! Congrats on getting that write up.

You have an Amazing Gift as an Artist my friend!!! I love to see what's comin next! You never cease to Amaze!! Keep up the SMOKIN Art! Aloha, Mooney

Thanks leleliz! I'm really stoked about that article...the response has be AMAZING and I think its really made a huge impact.

And Mooney, Thanks for the kind words I really appreciate them! I'll have some new stuff coming around the corner soon...just scored a batch of sweet thrift store jems for the upcoming Day of the Dead season!!!!

Just finished another commission piece as the studio has been non-stop busy. This little guy was fun to do and I think I'm going to have to get my own uke now! Commissioned by a women for her husband....blobagone is his nickname when he gets drunk and plays his guitar and uke...

B

good lookin little ax man!!!!!!!

S

super cool! is that one shot?

Awesome as always Dave. I love your skeledoggies!

Jen

Thanks guys! This one makes me laugh...and yes Skinny, I keep getting told I need to bang out skeledoggies of all the breeds!

Slee, you are correct...it's 1shot.

M
mp posted on Tue, Sep 22, 2009 7:05 PM

Really nice work Clydesdale, Very crisp design!

Thanks MP!!!

Dear Davey,
Are you still painting and carving Tikis
or are you just over them?
love,
a concerned citizen

L

Love that custom paint job.

Great to see that on your thread you display all these custom pieces.

The mariachi/mexican guys are some of my favorites.

Thanks Leleliz! I love the custom stuff because it give me a chance to personalize something for someone....lets them take one of my pieces of art and intertwine there own life with it!

LLT....funny you should ask, besides my tiki tarot card sketches...I got these fancy logs all cleaned up over the last few weeks ready to be choopa-fied!

carvings coming soon....but there might be a Frankenstein in there!!! hahahahah

[ Edited by: Clysdalle 2009-09-23 13:19 ]

I'll be happy with at least a couple of Tiki pieces every few weeks....
Heard you got the Death card in the draw..
Very appropriate! :)
I noticed on the Ryder-Waite deck that the Death Skeleton
has small teeth and a lower jaw..
Will that be a problem for you?

i got some anatomy books if you need em....

On 2009-09-23 13:18, Clysdalle wrote:

LLT....funny you should ask, besides my tiki tarot card sketches...I got these fancy logs all cleaned up over the last few weeks ready to be choopa-fied!

carvings coming soon....but there might be a Frankenstein in there!!! hahahahah

Please let it NOT be an F'n Frank'nTiki or ToofySkullTiki...just sayin....:)

I think that sounds like a request!!!

Just finished this antique frames last night....tiny little guys they are only about 5x7 framed, and the round one is 5x5....

L

Love how you have to justify your art on your own thread Dave.

I have always liked when kustom kulture artwork gets mixed with vintage pieces like these frames. Really makes a simple skull that much more interesting especially when you have done them on a smaller scale.

Thanks as always for sharing your non-tiki (oh the horrors!) work :)

Those are jewels! Coolness. Love the uke too. Just makes me wonder about that guys nickname. . .

C

Well I'm on a plane every week now for the next 3 months...so not much time to paint, but lots of time sketch...here are 2 drawings I worked on while flying this week flushing out ideas for my death card in the Tarot card show this month!

Little Maori Skull idea

Some work on carving out dark shapes and line weights...

Just framed and scanned in my piece for the Tiki Tarot Card Show that opens on Halloween night in San Diego at the Freaky Boutiki!!

......here it is....

The Death Card....
11x14 Acrylic Ink on Hotpress paper

B

The Death card is out of this world dave! Way to go man...

Thanks babs! This was a great topic that really filled my sketchbook with a bunch of ideas, Maori related and not. I can't wait to dive into that stuff. This show should be killer!

P

man, that stuff is great. it needs to made into silver with a nice, black recess and patina.

didja order some o dat Cel Animation Vinyl yet?

Save yer brain!
Avoid toxic fumesl!

M
mp posted on Thu, Oct 22, 2009 10:21 PM

Sweet ink Clysdale! I wish I could come down to check out the show. The death card
looks great. I just played with some brush and ink lately, I forgot how fun it is.
Nice work.

Hey Thanks Guys!!!

I've really been into the brush work lately..and with all the flying it's one of the few things I can bring with me. Really helps me with my over all drawing skills...

LLT, I have not picked it up yet...seems like that store you sent is the only one who sells it around here...so I need to order some up!

I have some pics of 2 Maori Halloween skulls I made that I'll post up when I get back home.....

I just got back into town and it's off to the studio to bang out more work for this weekends Day of the Dead event in Oceanside, CA....Since I'm on a plane every week for last month, it's been all ink and watercolor for me. Here are some new ones for the show...non-tiki but it's all art all the time!

This guy was inking months ago...finally got some color on him....11x14 The Banditos Prayer

And this little guy was done last weekend at the Hollywood Day of the Dead...5x7 Sugar Swirl

L

Love that sugar skull!

Caramba, si!!
Cuevos de los Muertos!
El Dia De los Muretos!

ATTENTION!
ATTENTION!
the Calavera Fad
is quickly approaching its downward momentum
to be remembered as fondly as Don Ed Hardy shirts
Pogs
and Pet Rocks.....

Time to peek outside your comfort-zone
now that you've nailed
and exhausted this so-called "artistic" genre...

may i suggest TIKIs
as your next artistic focus?

1 love your artwork. just love it

C

Thanks Brad and Marcus!!! Once this flying is done I should have more stuff to show!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 999 replies