Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Beyond Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,194 replies

My bruddah TikiVato put together the fish float lamp for my wife and the Pusser’s Rum bottle lamp for me. Nice gift’s. The Chinese lantern is made of cloth. I picked it up at a thrift for 99 cents and added one of dem lighted cube’s from Trader Sam’s. Gotta find a place to hang em in my Happy Talk Lounge. I hung em in the SharkBite Bar just for the pix.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-01-10 21:34 ]

Found a fun lamp that has a texture on the bottom and reminds me of a volcano.

H

Naugatiki, love this lamp such a great find.

Picked this up a my local Savers-almost free. I thought that it was a flamingo with the legs missing.
My wife said that she could see the outline of a leg at the front of the bird as well as one at the rear. turns out this is a horse. I’m anxious to get started on fully restoring this nice example of MCM wall art.

A horse.

Usually I am pretty good with interpreting cloud shapes but I am not seeing a horse. Flamingo, yes.

Perhaps a water horse?

On 2016-01-22 07:00, Veronica! wrote:
A horse.

Usually I am pretty good with interpreting cloud shapes but I am not seeing a horse. Flamingo, yes.

Perhaps a water horse?

Veronica, Welcome to you. I searched the web and found a couple of similar horses and flamingos. I jigsawed some horse legs in the same style and tried em out. Looks like a horse with a bird head. we’ll see how it turns out. Mahalo for your comments-made me smile.

Haven’t found anything tiki in a long time. Got this Treasure Craft S & P today at my local Savers. Don’t really need em but they are in pristine condition and about twice as big as the others that I have.

On 2016-01-21 23:19, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Picked this up a my local Savers-almost free. I thought that it was a flamingo with the legs missing.
My wife said that she could see the outline of a leg at the front of the bird as well as one at the rear. turns out this is a horse. I’m anxious to get started on fully restoring this nice example of MCM wall art.

It's the Loc Ness Monster!!

On 2016-02-23 12:15, lunavideogames wrote:

On 2016-01-21 23:19, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:

It's the Loc Ness Monster!!

Treg, Dat’s wat my wife thought it was at first. I cut the legs out, stained em and tried dem out. Does not look like a horse, a flamingo or Nessie. Looks like hell.
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-02-23 14:00 ]

Found another vintage Jere. About 52" wide. Couldn't pass it up for $7.

On 2016-02-26 16:20, uncle trav wrote:

Hey Unca T,
How do you I D a Jere? Is there a makers mark on the piece’s or is it the knowledge that you have of their work or style?
Mahalo

On 2016-02-28 14:29, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:

On 2016-02-26 16:20, uncle trav wrote:

Hey Unca T,
How do you I D a Jere? Is there a makers mark on the piece’s or is it the knowledge that you have of their work or style?
Mahalo

The vintage C. Jere pieces are all hand signed in black pen and are usually very small. It can be a hide and seek game trying to find the mark on many of the vintage pieces. Many folks think C. Jere was a single artist but the company employed many many artist. The name is a compound of the founders names, Curtis Freiler and Jerry Fels. After hunting for this stuff awhile you can get a feel for the style. I tend to like the pieces from the late 60s through the 70s. My favorite is called the Labyrinth and is dated 1970 and is nearly 5' tall. The fan is from the early 80s but the signature is a bit shaky.

The signature on the Labyrinth is less than an inch long and a quarter inch tall.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2016-02-28 15:17 ]

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2016-02-28 15:18 ]

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2016-02-28 15:28 ]

Double post

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2016-02-28 15:14 ]

Mahalo. unca T

UT

Found a pair of sterling silver candlesticks at a local thrift store. Made by the Mueck-Carey Co. In the 1930s. Not a bad find for $6 and they are going to clean up beautifully.

My wife and I were killing time in Huntington Beach yesterday and checked out an estate sale. Saw this table that had some cool lines. wife had to have it-I was not sure I liked it when I saw what I thought was a Chinese Junk carved in relief on the top surface. On closer inspection here at home I think that it is a Junk although the rigging is different than any I’ve seen. Here’s some pix with the glass on and off.

Edited to add: Table in our living room with lamp found a couple of months ago

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-03-14 01:30 ]

Table and lamp: both look great sir

Haven't found many cocktail books lately
Then saw 2 today

Jon, I have those two also. Found in the wild. Finding bar cocktail books is almost as much fun as finding a mug.
Cheers

:)

FM

I'm a music fanatic and went to an auction of a music production college that went under. I scored a pair of Klipsch La Scala Industrial speakers for a song. These were used in concert halls and sound fantastic.

2 more today

My wife was thrilled to snag this mid century dinnerware at a thrift store.

H

Nice find.

David- little lady found some good colors there

Nutha one

1001 cocktails
This should keep me busy
:)

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2016-06-01 14:49 ]

I just scored this huge late 50s Murano glass twist lamp. Made by the famed Seguso family. Totally hand blown with twisted white canes and gold flecks. This kind of high end thing isn't really my style but the price and its rarity made me liberate it from the thrift store for dirt cheap. A good find always equals a good day.

Found the spun aluminum salt and pepper mill ( made in Japan) at the same thrift in Palm Springs. The gold colored finish was badly damaged by the packing tape the store wrapped around em to keep them together. Little spray paint should bring em back.
The scissors/letter opener set were made in Germany. The handle on the opener depicts a 40’s/50’s “Streamliner” train, a “prop” engine airliner and other modes of transportation. The reverse side is a ruler.

I just scored this awesome vintage tension pole lamp. I have been on the hunt for a good one for a long time. This one had the the right look and price. Looks great in our living room.

That is wild U T. Congrats!

Great finds you 2

On 2016-07-31 15:38, uncle trav wrote:
I just scored this awesome vintage tension pole lamp. I have been on the hunt for a good one for a long time. This one had the the right look and price. Looks great in our living room.

Awesome, we've got a similar one in our living room.

[ Edited by: mikehooker 2016-08-02 15:57 ]

On 2016-08-02 15:55, mikehooker wrote:

On 2016-07-31 15:38, uncle trav wrote:

[ Edited by: mikehooker 2016-08-02 15:57 ]

Room looks great Mike. Can you show a close up of dat clock?

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-08-03 00:07 ]

Nutha 1

Snatched up this awesome Umanoff side table magazine rack at the local thrift for $26.

Congrats Unca T, Dat’s gotta be one of da best Beyond Tiki finds ever!
Btw, just be careful where you set your drink : >)

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-08-23 00:05 ]

On 2016-08-23 00:01, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Congrats Unca T, Dat’s gotta be one of da best Beyond Tiki finds ever!
Btw, just be careful where you set your drink : >)

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-08-23 00:05 ]

Thanks Nui. I love the look and feel of the hand rubbed finish of the walnut on these pieces.

Recovered from TikiOasis enough to do a little thrifting.
2 bucks for the white pith helmet.

Looking for tiki and found this stuff instead.
Mid century dishware from Royal china “ Star Glow"

Balloon mug from Petit Bar,Paris, Las Vegas and a couple of metal trays from Hula Hatties. I thought the mug was hideous but my wife wanted it.

Edited to add;
Saw another Balloon/Paris mug this evening at my local Savers. Did not say a word about it to my wife. Never seen one before yesterday-feel like I’m being haunted.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-09-02 01:19 ]

Great finds everyone!! I scored this huge C. Jere skeleton ship. They made two versions. A wall version and the tabletop version. This one is a bit rough but I couldn't pass it up for the low low price. Now just to fit it in the bar somehow. Four feet tall!

Dat’s awesome Unca T. Can’t wait to see wat you do with it. I got a cool find at the Tiki Marketplace yesterday but lets savor your find for a bit.
Later

Bought this ice crusher from TikiShaker at the Original Tiki Marketplace last Saturday.

Got the “open” sign as a result of shooting the breeze at my local barber shop

Found at a local thrift today. Brand new-never used. Price tag indicates it sold for 39 bucks back ??
They now sell for a little more than 100 dollars now.

1”x1 1/2” real bone. Found at a local thrift. I ’ve got lots of plastic ones-dime a dozen in SoCal.
Cheers

H

Found this old Hotel neon sign at an antique shop, brought it home to see if I could work it in to my home decor.

Unfortunately it didn't really work too well, had to return it but it was a beauty.

On 2016-11-05 17:28, hiltiki wrote:
Found this old Hotel neon sign at an antique shop, brought it home to see if I could work it in to my home decor.

Hilda, That is one cool sign-lit or unlit. What’s going on when you have it on? Buzzing too loud? Flickering? Sometimes a new ballast is all it needs.
Good luck

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-11-06 22:53 ]

T

Yeah that sign is way cool.
Would want to see about fixing that one.

My wife took a class at OSU on making neon, and made some neon.

OGR

On 2016-11-05 17:28, hiltiki wrote:

Unfortunately it didn't really work too well, had to return it but it was a beauty.

Did it not just fit your decor or was it a function problem? It is awesome. I had one similar from the 40's w/o a box (an inside window sign) but it worked...busted by damn movers! What was the $ range on the neon? Thanks!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1194 replies