Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Beyond Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,194 replies

The pilsners (4) have a tall ship etched on them. the top hat is an ice bucket- perfect for this years two person new years celebration.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-08-25 23:21 ]

David- nice

Great finds Nui !! I just scored an awesome James Mont cast metal ice bucket. Designed around 1960 in the form of an ancient Mayan vessel. About 12" tall with a teal colored liner. $10 at the flea market today.

Dat’s a supercool bucket Uncle T. I found this pristine wood and silk lantern in a thrift today and couldn’t pass it up at 5 buck. It’s big and will complement the one hanging in my tiki bar. Looks like we’re monopolizing this thread.

Found this cool 1950s coffee table locally listed on a classified ad. I'm looking at the cocktails on the surface and it's making me thirsty. Gotta go.

Hey TH IV, What a great looking piece! I’m gonna start reading the classifieds in Oz.
Mahalo for sharing your awesome find.

UnKa Trav- very Kool
Instantly reminded me of my Frankoma bowl

Nui- u must be hunting every day

TH- sweet

Did a lil hunting on OfferUp today
Now these are in my bar

Jon , Glad you’re on good terms with your neighbors. Nice find!
Cheers

David- funny
Had him over for a bunch of drinks
Then showed him
:)

Found at a local thrift. Never any tiki but plenny MCM stuff. Yet anudder ice bucket.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-09-03 20:16 ]

A recent thrift store find... Pretty sweet Kahlua bottle of unknown age.

H

found the green female figurine at Goodwill, in perfect shape.

Found 3 early Hominid skull casts from a retired teacher, he was sad to see them go but happy they were going to be put in a home bar

On 2017-09-03 11:18, hiltiki wrote:
found the green female figurine at Goodwill, in perfect shape.

Nice find Lori. Izzat Geisha mug from the Hawaiian Cottage? I found four of em some years ago. We luv em but they are too frail to use.
cheers

On 2017-09-03 07:42, EnchantedTikiGoth wrote:
A recent thrift store find... Pretty sweet Kahlua bottle of unknown age.

I bought mine in Baja. Musta been late sixties -early seventies. Liqueur is long gone.
Cheers

H

Yes David, Hawaiian Cottage it is.

Hard to find a more classically atomic designed everyday item than this. Ronson electric shaver. Kinda beat up but I just had to have it.

What a cool design U T. Doesn’t really matter but I gotta ask . Does it work?
Cheers

OGR

Very cool Trav, I have had 1 of those I unfortunately sold...looked cool w/ my Made in Japan Transistor collection. Those reverse plastic shavers have some awesome style, and they always work.

My wife loves MCM-I like island style .We Were both happy when I brought this pair of end tables home from a local thrift. I’ve never seen the pic from the Mexican revolution. It depicts four revolutionaries on the cowcatcher of a locomotive.
Cheers

Went to an estate sale in Hollywood today.I was interested in a velvet painting that looked like it was done by CeCe Rodriguez. It was gone This stuff caught my wife’s and my eyes and came home with us.

Weatheradio-tunes into National Weather Service Battery powered, still works.

Authentic portholes, modified but will fit into my Tiki lounge

Pair of wooden figures. Filipino or Caribbean? Hope to frame them in an MCM style.

MCM glassware. Forgot to take an individual pic of the brown glass lampshade which might look pretty cool over my Tikibar counter top.

Ashtray

George Briard ice bucket

Early digital alarm clock? Mfd’d by Lawson in USA. AC powered-still works.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-10-05 23:40 ]

Nui, I keep picturing a party at your house: dozens of guests, each with his own personal ice bucket. :lol:

Great finds, as always.

On 2017-10-06 10:55, bamalamalu wrote:
dozens of guests, each with his own personal ice bucket. :lol:

We would still have beucoup unassigned buckets.
Wish you guys couda made the trek north for the art show Friday night.
See you in November
David and CeCe

Found the poster and record cleaner at a yard sale on my way to the market. I “refound” the typewriter in my shed while looking for something else. Almost forgot that I had it.

Found at a thrift recently

Postcard is from Yosemite. Last time they threw embers off of Glacier point was in 1969 or so

Happy Hulaween!

On the way to our local market my wife spotted a gentleman putting up his sidewalk sale merchandise. Browsing what was left she snagged this lamp. Shades are fiberglass, the goosenecks are brass tubes with swivels at either end.
Most of the one’s that I have seen have flexible necks. The bottom of the base is covered with a felt like material. It’s pretty dirty but I’m not complaining. We paid a fraction of we were prepared to spend. Darn thing works too.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-11-05 22:53 ]

Happened upon a gent last nightstarting a business close by. One sorta tiki item and plenny of very very dirty vintage and MCM Merchandise. Got this stuff when I returned today. Most of my finds cleaned up okay except the Arvin Radio which is pretty scuffed up Both radios use tubes so I got em mainly for their looks. The Table lamp was the main reason for the return visit.

Arvin brand radio on left-Packard Bell on rht.

My wife can’t resist pretty glass-she claims the red stuff is harder to find.

Myles Lucite Handbag. Very 50’s-surpisingly pricey

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-11-07 22:00 ]

Rename this “David’s stuff”

:)

Love the portholes
And all the old electronics
Glass
Bucket

Dang, love it all

My aunt has that weather station thing

Cheers n keep hunting Nui

T

"My wife can’t resist pretty glass-she claims the red stuff is harder to find."

We see that red for sale EVERYWHERE here, mostly because Anchor Hocking was in Lancaster, Ohio.

It was said that the old red glass had gold in it.

The green is hard to find for some reason.
Both red and green most of the time is not that pricy.

UT

Good stuff Nui! I snagged this vintage Global transistor radio a bit ago. It was really nasty but after a little TLC it turned out great.

Nice Unca T, I luv this stuff-almost as much fun as finding tiki in the wild.
Keep the posts coming!

OGR

On 2017-11-07 15:57, uncle trav wrote:
Good stuff Nui! I snagged this vintage Global transistor radio a bit ago. It was really nasty but after a little TLC it turned out great.

Great find Trav...that is a nice one, one of my fave designs...VERY scarce in Pink. OGR

I have no idea where I got this. It was in a box of junk that has been in my garage for eons. I soaked it in soapy water and toothbrushed it for a week before I could read the inscription. I don’t recall a Centre Street in S P when I roamed the streets there in the early 70’s for the phone company. I use to go to White’s Point and eat my lunch and I might have found it there. It was encrusted with sand/clay, almost concretelike. Nothing online about the
hotel.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-12-18 00:43 ]

The google machine shows that Centre street is still there, but the 431 address appears to be swallowed up by the Port of Los Angeles High School and the Los Angeles Port Police building complexes.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-12-18 00:43 ]

On 2017-12-17 23:54, Onyx_Noir wrote:
The google machine shows that Centre street is still there, but the 431 address appears to be swallowed up by the Port of Los Angeles High School and the Los Angeles Port Police building complexes.

Mahalo Onyx.

Found at a local thrift. Very dirty and missing the numerals. Easy fix-gonna leave the rest of the brass as is (cept for the clean up).

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-12-29 20:37 ]

BB

Lucite spaghetti lamp shade, found at a nearby antique mall. Looks killer with a red bulb inside. Smells slightly of stale cigarettes.

From a local resale, I thought at first that it was a Treasure Craft piece. It’s marked Cal Orig. and twice as heavy as similar sized T C pieces.
About 12” long.

Today's score from the Re-Store.

Original Morris Katz painting for my future lounge. Found at an antique store today for $65.

I have had this Tommy Bahama carrier for many years. I broke one of the bottles about 8 years ago.I kept the cap but did not use the carrier much-kinda useless with just one bottle. Much to my surprise I found two replacement bottles at a local thrift.

Local "antique" store:

Neat wine rack

Puzzle Party Pak

Don't know what it is, but after reading some of Skip's tutorials I could only think "This is going to make a heck of a Tiki Light"

On 2018-04-14 13:51, coldwarspacemonkey wrote:
Local "antique" store:

Don't know what it is, but after reading some of Skip's tutorials I could only think "This is going to make a heck of a Tiki Light"

Chris, depending on the height that might be the base for a glass topped table .

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2018-04-23 21:51 ]

Several years ago I found this street sign at an accident site just blocks from my home . The top of the sign has a smaller sign with the city name “La Mirada”. I hung the sign in my home bar cuz I am very proud of my city.

We recently found another Street sign in a resale shop[ from my wife’s hometown of Pico-Rverva, California. You know this one is gonna get hung in our bar too. Btw, Whittier Blvd was the place to polish your car and cruise the blvd and see and be seen on weekend nights during the 60’s and early 70’s. Since been outlawed by the local Sheriff.

Cheers

Chris, depending on the height that might be the base for a glass topped table .

nui 'umi 'umi - It's too small and flimsy for a table base, about 12" tall. Mrs. Monkey thinks it's supposed to be some sort of a head rest/pillow thingy. I'm thinking that it would make a good core for a light, with perhaps some tapa or paper around the inside and some rattan or split bamboo around it. Still working on the idea, using it for inspiration.

I'm loving your street signs. As a kid I lived in Downey (1962 - 68), then moved south to Capistrano until 82. Those signs brought me back.

-Nelson

Today's thrift store bargains - three small glasses and six mugs. Glasses are a little hazy, but the mugs look almost new.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1194 replies