Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

LATSA Picturez! Tiki Table!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,123 replies

B

Definitely looks like he's getting a bit on the scary side, you are giving him Life and that might not be a Good thing? :o :P :lol:

C

Hihi! He really like that pole hm? :)
very nice bone carvings too!

Looking good. Did you leave enough space for the mouth?

Thanks Grapa- Not alive yet, but soon!
Ben- Thanks, I hope to enhance the arms MUCH more.
The other Ben- Is someone telling him "get a life" !!
Clarita-Ha Ha he's a pole dancer!! Stay tuned, you'll see!
AS- Got a ways to go my man, juuuuust enough room I think. Problem is, I keep drawing different mouths, can't decide on a look. Yours was so classic! It really had the "right" expression. But I wanna do something different, maybe the gagging, Bart Simpson tongue, or something!

S

Puss is looking Fantastic! He is really popping.

L
laojia posted on Wed, Jun 3, 2009 9:14 PM

Very cool carving piece Surfin'! Sometimes natural contrast colors of wood give good thing.
Benefits in!

J.

Thanks Seeks and Laojia!
Update from the weekend...and a new sawr!
Some more surfboards..

The wee little turtle is done...

Progress on the Octopuss...

Mahalo for lookin'

the new sawr...

s U r F i N t i k i

[ Edited by: surfintiki 2009-06-08 15:55 ]

SWEET NEW SAW!!!!!!
I want one, I want one, I want one!

Oh yeah, love the carvings, too.

B

COOL New stuff David!
The bones are really getting Sweet. Now I'm all jealous of your SAW! I Want it.
I really love the turtle with that inlay!

T

I just realized that I NEED that saw! The Octo is coming along great, I like the color and grain on that piece. Nice surfboards and turtle too, do the boards have fins?

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jun 8, 2009 6:31 PM

Nice saw, Surfin. Looks kinda like mine? You bean kicking around here while I've bean out? Huh?

I broke the bottom blade holder thingy doodadd in like 10 minutes. Careful with yours...don't tighten it up too much. That cheap metal tears right out. If you do break it, I have a fix.

The puss is coming along nicely....I still don't know where you're going....but the trip has been fun so far.

Right on, Dave!

You were on fire this weekend.

Love the surfboard hooks, those are slick.

I like the Honu with the inlay too, nice work!

Good to see you multi tasking with the wood too!

Go man, go!

L
laojia posted on Mon, Jun 8, 2009 9:02 PM

Very good work progress on octopuss! Like this lovely turtle... Have good fun with your new toy!!!

J.

A
AKUAE posted on Tue, Jun 9, 2009 1:33 PM

Hey Surfin,

can't wait to see Octopuss finished - the wood is perfect
also your turtle is very nice and a gret work

don't forget to take much of pixs from Octopuss

greets

AKUAE

Kool stuff surf,curious of what type of wood the occy's
carved out of,should stain up a treat.

Much thanks to all for looking at me little whittlin's!
Tyler..Mahalo. Can't wait to get to some cutting, but prolly need to get some different blades first.
Benzerino...Mahalo. My sister's gettin' the wee little turtle.
TikiMango- I forgot to tell ya'll, I got the saw for $45 craigslist!!! No fins on the boards...they broke off surfing shallow reef breaks!
GGGGG...Holy crap G, I'll keep an eye on it...call ya if I need ya. Still figurin' out the Puss myself!
Lake...Thanks for thinkin I worked a lot this weekend...I felt I slacked!
Laojia...Mahalo. What does "Laojia" mean?
AkuaE...Mahalo, will take many pics, don't worry!!
-Dave

S

The Puss the turtle YOU ARE On FIRE!

Love the suckers on the PUSS! Man he would look good at the Tiki Bog!

SEEKS...how 'bout a GIANT Puss for your bog? Go for it!!!
Just another surfbone for my friend's b-day..

Also, a little more attention to the Puss...

oops, no pics in the camera...guess you'll have to wait!! :D

S

Well you have me thinking A stump with roots as the tentacles.

Those little boards are a hot little item. Everyone is going to
ask you to make them now. They are sharp!

You're right Seeks! I'm sellin' em left and right, just to my friends! I'm stoked to see 'em all wearing my pieces...COOL!
By the way, this saturday is international surf day, GO HIT IT! ...or do some carvin'!!! :D

You're right Seeks! I'm sellin' em left and right, just to my friends! I'm stoked to see 'em all wearing my pieces...COOL!
By the way, this saturday is international surf day, GO HIT IT! ...or do some carvin'!!! :D

B

Really nice Stuff Surfs. ditto on the boards

S

3 day surf trip coming up for me this weekend. Ill channel
tall boy Sat night on the subject of Surf Day.

C

the bone carvings kept coming, very nice, the turtle too, congrats!

[ Edited by: Clarita 2009-06-18 14:57 ]

Great stuff, Surfin'! That lil' turtle is great. Beautiful inlay. Take care~
freddie

B

definitely Cool Stuff Dave, Thanks for the call today , Nice hearing from you. Of course Hukilau would have been nicer but Next year works.

A little more sanding...SO MUCH SANDING needed still. I sand til' I get fed up with sanding...even know it needs more sanding. At some point you just say, screw it.

T

this tiki is way cool!!! what a sweet design.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jul 7, 2009 7:20 PM

yo Surfin',

Squidward is looking smooooth. Gman likee!

B

Definitely looking great. Bring'em toomee and I'll show you the tools to sand him with where you don't even work up a sweat!
Besides, you need to come down here anyway!. Cool, next week does sound great.

BD

holy shite! how did i miss all this? the squidman is just awesome. he's a beaut surf. very, very sweet piece.

bd

S

Fabulous! you are blowing my mind with this guy!
I never saw the tiki under him killer carve!
I cant say it enough Love this guy.

This squid/tiki gets better with every update. Squid hats might even become a big fashion hit because of you :wink:

B

Oh Yeah I forgot to tell you how much I Really Love this piece,Excellent work.

B

Excellent work dude.
The end of sanding is nearer than you may think. I'm sure it's a pleasure to sand such a beautiful grainy wood :wink:

Benjamin.

T

Looking gooder with each update. Awesome!

Thanx TikiMango, Tahitiki, Mr. GmAn, Big Daddy, Seeeeeks, GrapaRuHa, Benella, BenZ, I LIKE the sound of that! No Sweat sanding? Sign me up!!!
Many Mahalos to all!
:drink:

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jul 8, 2009 11:42 PM

GROG still waiting for GROG' Tangaroan.

Don't go too crazy sanding. Imperfections give wood carvings character (at least that what I tell myself). I say start finishing and sand it smooth as you go.

C

yes I agree to smooth may be no good :) it depends on the guy
(in fact, how about some texture on the pole where the mouth is?...just an idea...)

B

Naah, Keep On Sanding is my motto as long as you can get someone else to do it or to it with a machine!
Hurry up though, I really can't Wait to see this guy before his face gets eaten off! :o

Thanks Grog-aroa, Aloha. Yeah cool Clarita, any constructive advice is ALWAYS welcome!
Been so busy building new guitars, first gig this weekend with new band, I haven't even been able to LOOK at the puss. I just hope Benz is WRONG, and his face doesn't get swallowed up by the beast! He looks hungry!

L

Yeah surfin'! Very good work in progress on the O'puss!

This one reminds me this:

:) J.

S

Can't get enough of the Puss! Sick carve my man.

Octo-Tiki is cool. He actually looks soft and squishy, so your sanding must be paying off! Great idea.

Aaron

Thanks again Seeks. How's the surf?
AA, just what I need to hear...a reason for all this sanding!
Or this, Laojia...

I love the different direction you took with this one... smooth.... but at some point you stop and enjoy the art you created.....Top Shelf stuff....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1123 replies