Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

LATSA Picturez! Tiki Table!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,123 replies

Thanx Toat, Paipo, KiwiS, D0x...C3PO##_!R2D2
I'm gonna get on the Stone later, with better shots, the ones I took earlier sucked.
I'd love to carve a Moai-Kava-Kava, but not on the top of the list right now, but I do want to do one.

Today I wanted to try my first bone. It went pretty quickly.
It's my Music-Note Hook!

BEAUTIFUL!!

That is just amazing - your first bone piece?

Excellent Sir!

KS

B

Dammit Bro, you're makin us ALL look BAD!. Yewr bonz is looking Good and Bad! BAck to the stone, you're right about it being a Love/Hate relationship or at least it has been for me. Sometimes when the water flow system is working right it's more Love than Hate and I think That is THE riddle that once solved will make the most difference. I'm working o9n a system now that might be good for me and I'll let you know how it goes. Just take your time and let it flow. the Hook is Excellent.
The Bone is really cool too, I Love the Music symbol, it's very unique and different but similar enough to fit in with all the rest. Beautiiiful shape and lines, Again impossible to see it is your first bone carve. :) :) :lol:

Kickin major butt with the stones and bones. You're making it look too easy.

J

Talent just falls off of you doesn't it? Nice work on those last two pieces in different media. Which do you like better?

S

WoW crazy love it surfin great stuff!

I need to clone myself to give me more TIME, and get on more of these. Tis fun fun fun.
KiwiS-Thankeeyouuu!!
Benz-hey, are ya getting my P.M.'s?!!!! :-?
Alohahaha- That's the secret, make it LOOK easy!
JP: Thanx, still too early to tell which I like better. Bone sands up SOOO much easier. Stone is just...plain...cool. And the end product is more dynamic, and stunning looking...(if ya do it right!)
Seeks: Thankya, 'ol master of the Hawaiian tiki gods...when are ya gonna bag that "kook carver" malarchy? :lol: :lol:

Surfintiki, What a killer bone carving!!!!nice flow all the way around!!! Aloha your friend, Mooney

Thanx MoonDoggy! And you're a good friend!
Not getting to much carving or even hangin' on TC. WAVES ARE GOOD! And gonna go thru the weekend. Tropical Storm headin' our way.
Beautiful out tonight, purply water, sunset, glassy waves, playin seals, a Sunfish swimming through...gorgeous, followed by fish tacos and beer...life is superb. :drink:

S

Nice surfin looks like the storms are lining up for ya.

Had my first fish taco last week fresh from the water.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Sep 5, 2008 8:14 AM

Mmmmmm. Buttery smooth! Careful, all too often you get boned if you get too stoned. Don't become an abuser or an abusee. The skillz you get from your stones and bonz will make your wood carves 10X more sik! Sweeeeet!

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: gman 2008-09-05 09:53 ]

Followed by, yes Seeksurf, fish tacos. yummmmmmmm
When are ya gonna surf Gman?! I used to surf your area, south of Clearwater. Waves 2 days a year! :lol:

We had that on Friday. Jupiter was a foot over head and glassy while Delray was under knee high. It was well worth the road trip!! Oh yeah the water temp was 86! Right now Ike is sending us nothing but chop.

Hey Tom, 86 sounds reeeeeeal good.
Well had to try out my new pink-box-o-carvin-fun. Works pretty good. But have a good idea...Rain-x on the lid. I'll have to try it. Still workin on the water flow thing, and some other details. But did a little grindin'

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Sep 11, 2008 5:10 PM

"When are ya gonna surf Gman?! I used to surf your area, south of Clearwater."

Surfin' - Clearwater isn't my area....I just work here man. I'm a born and raised New Englander - Born in Boston. I escaped to the South. I used to surf the pier at Narragansett, Ruggles Point in Newport, and First and Second Beach in Newport. Is Redney's Surf Shop still open? I called his report nearly every day for 4 years. I rode a 6'2" Gary Linden thruster (had a Rusty and a Nectar too). I remember the winter swells well....along with the freezing foam, freezing spray, my winter hood, and a good pee in my wetsuit.

G$

B

Nice pieces to come !

Benjamin.

Surfintiki,

It looks like these pieces are going to be killer. If you spend all your time carving jade, it might keep you out of the water. The waves over here have been epic the last week, but crowded. Good luck on these new tikis.

Be Safe,
Will

SuperG! Cool...Don't remember if you told me that before. Bro' from the hood! Yeah, I think Redney's still there. Ever surf the Cape? Cape's good but Rhodey be bettah! Warmer, with the gulf stream closer and whatnot, more rocky, better point break stuff...but I don't like leaving my turf!! I hear ya on the warm, I did 20 years of surfing in FLA. Doing the hard core cold thing now, looks like you and I did opposite!

Benjamin- Where's your board? France's got the best waves out of the Atlantic, well better than american continental shelf!
Yeah I, m good at getting 'em started, but scared to finish 'em!

Will, my man! Yeah yeah, Cali, Cali. Still working out where I'm going to move to. Not so sure about West Coast anymore, as much as I NEED to be there. I keep yappin' about moving, but haven't yet...hopefully by spring. Right now I'm waiting for my new Nezzy, I ordered out of San Diego...quad, 6' 6". Should be here ANY day!
Loving the idea of stone'n. Less messy than carvin wood, inside, in the winter.
Hang loose brah

B

Well Lookee Here, I LOVE that Pink Tub with the clear lid and OH Man that Rainex is an Excellent Idea Why did I not think of it long ago?? Aww Rite, Now you are In Bizniss so lets get some carving finally done.

S

Surfin, Im loving your stone work right on! keep them coming looks harder to me then wood?

Surfin this summer is in the record books for logged surf time. I just got back from another
week of surfing and IM heading back in a day for another week or so. We are on Strike at Boeing and
im loving it! I feel the stoke about you getting your new 6 6 board cool and the GMAN surfing how
cool is that!

A
AKUAE posted on Fri, Sep 19, 2008 2:02 PM

Rockin Stone pieces
I love your MOAI
Bye
Akuae

Well once again, the weekend was filled with this...

it was fun trying to surf with the camera too!

But I did get to some bone action. And I have to say...There's got to be an easier way, than to saw. It takes me 10 minutes to do 4mm. AND I break 7 saw blades. Jewelers hand saw, and good quality blades. Snap, snap, snap. Took me 2 afternoons to cut out the one shape. Will be doing it MUCH differently next time.

Benz, did ya try the Rainx yet?...it may mess up the plexi though.
Seek'n, surf carve surf carve surf carve.
Akuae, Thanks! Have to find time to get back to 'em.
Aloha

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 21, 2008 2:28 PM

you needum scroll saw.....no wasteum time handsaw.

Yeah G.
Now if I could only get one, scroll saw or a band saw, which should I get? Is a scroll saw just a mini version of a band saw, but with a little blade going up and down...and also a narrower space to fit the wood/bone in...meaning I can't fit wide, say 5" thick pieces in??

The band saw will make quick cuts to the bone to get your working pieces started, cutting the whole bone down to working-flat or curved pieces. The scroll saw will make nice intricate detail cuts, inside hole cuts after drilling a starting hole, cuts that will allow you to do the finish work afterward. When you use the bandsaw you'll think you're in a dentists office, use a mask! You can get many different scroll saw blades, I like the spiral-any direction blades.

J

A coping saw would help, it is like a jewler's saw only more sturdy allowing you still cut curves and inside cuts. You can get them for less than $10 including an assortment of blades, at any hardware store or place that sell wooden trim moldings. A coping saw is what home improvement types use to final fit the trim.

But a bandsaw and scroll saw work wonders. Along with a belt sander to help with rounding the hard corners off.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 21, 2008 5:40 PM

S,

Get the scroll if you can get only one and if you wanna continue to work small. Get a band if you are going to stop the bonz and need it for wood pieces/larger work.

Check the Bonz thread to see the scroll I got for like 89 bucks. Gman likee.

B

Don't lissen to those guyz! You Need a bandsaw, a Scroll saw, A Hack saw, a Coping saw, a Jewelers saw(one that won't break blades!) a Mitre saw , a Table saw and if you find any Other types, you'll NEED those too!

Of course everyone is correct and you will be able to do better with the coping saw than with the jewelers saw unless you get the largest blades for the jewelers saw frame.
I Like the quiet sound of the hack saw because I'm just a hack lol

Thanks T-Bird
JP & Gmangggggg
Benzer Bonzer- Ya know, I should just face that fact...eventually I will own all that stuff. I really can't spend that money...but I WILL OWN THAT STUFF ANYWAY DAMMIT! Piece by piece. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Hey Benzer, local Home Depot looked at me cross-eyed when I asked about miniature plant hydration. They said possibly at one of their bigger stores. This is a small version here on the Cape.

Well I'm doomed on creating again this weekend. My dad's 83rd B-day, and this...

This will be saturday. Surf surf surf.
I was so physically exhausted from last weekends surf, I shoulda checked into the hospital! It's been a good summer, and better fall.
Sorry for turning this into a surf forum. But these are my excuses for not carving enough.

s U r F i N t i k i

[ Edited by: surfintiki 2008-09-23 17:41 ]

I know from experience that carving and surfing can coexist. Wait a minute - I live in South Florida and never get surf. Crap! Never mind. Carving waves or wood its all good!

S

Surfin - Lots of swells turning in your area? Congrats on Dads many B-days.

The Sick summer of 08 Surf/Carve/Fish. Life is Good.

Water camera? or disposable water camera?

Hey all!
FINALLY got to spend an hour doing something tiki related. Upon Benzart's discovery, I got some micro hydration supplies from Lowes (2 hours away)

Someone found there's free drinks inside!

Got a little carving in. The water system is great for a non-stop supply, just have to come up with a drainage plan now.
Sanding, to see how it might look

Sorry for the blurry shots (taking cue from Clarita! :P ) ...not worth re-taking.

Wet...

Aloha- You shoulda got waves from all that hurricane action!
Seeks- Pentax Optio W20...digital point n shoot...waterproof. LOVE it

Going away for the weekend for a mountain bike adventure in the mountains...
ALOHA

S

Surfin WOW me like this stonier head It really looks great!

The cat box is a cat fountain now :)

Have fun outdoors this weekend dude.

B

Hey Surfin', Really cool setup and the cat pix are Awesome as is the Moai. Damn man, you're gonna learn how to do this stuff YET! Is he my payment for fixin'ya up on the watering dish? :P :D :lol:

Hey y'all
Yup...ALWAYS learning.
Been away for a bit. Did a little mtn biking in western Mass...

Managed to keep all my bones intact.

Some new bones I'm starting up...

SurfinTiki,looking good looking good! I like that little turtle,should turn out nice keep us posted.

B

Looks pretty cool.

Benjamin.

Thanks Greeen and Bennilla-Vanilla
I'm dieing to get back to 'em, but I'm soo busy. Yeah the wee-turtle's gonna be fun. Can't wait!
Going away again for the weekend...whitewater kayaking and then a bike ride-athon fundraiser.

DuuuuuuuDe............ You're a Boner!!!! I dig it! Keep kill'n It......:lol: Gauley Season,,,next September...:wink: fBalls

Brutha FBalls!!W'Sup?! You wild man, One of these years I'll get to the Gauley. Maybe next year we'll do it. Gauley Gets TIKIFIED!! An old buddy of mine from FL goes every year, and tries to get me to drive down and meet 'em. He also hits the Charlotte WW park...dieing to try that.
AlO-hA

surfintiki,

Sweet pieces that you have been pumping out lately. It seems like we are living similar lives on opposite sides of the continent. Surf in the morning, carve , and then Mt. Bike in the afternoon. It doesn't get much better that that.

I will be in Portland, Maine next week, but it looks like there will be no waves. Bummer, maybe one day I can surf the infamous Scarboro beach.

Keep up the killer work and maybe some day our paths will cross.

Will

WILL! Thanx Bruddah!
Similar lives, but YOU live closer to HAWAII! :)
Minimal surf lately. So it's time for another trip west to ww kayak and bike some more.
-out

Right there with you guys. My 3 main hobbies are surfing, carving and mt. biking. Been carving water, waves and dirt for years (even tho I live in an area with few waves and no hills, much less a mountain). No complaints, it helps me stay focused on the day job.

Helloooooo
Finally putting somethin recent up! Been VERY busy with music stuff, work, etc.
But here's some progression shots, but long way to go. I've had a hard time FINISHING something lately.
AlohaStation-Tom: water's warm down yonder huh? NOT HERE anymore....DAMN!

S

Surfin you are kicking some ass in the stoner department.
Me likein you work buddy.

Im back to work today after my 56 day strike at Boeing.
Best end of summer time i have had sence i was 18.

B

these guys are really lookin good Surfin,, I think you need to spend some moe serious time on'em so's we can see'um done sooner.

Surf, Your work is getting better and better! Some very outstanding pieces. Just curious, what type of bone is that? Thanks and happy carving.

Oceanic Carvings
If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything

[ Edited by: tikilizard 2008-11-08 10:05 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1123 replies