Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

LATSA Picturez! Tiki Table!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,123 replies

G
GROG posted on Thu, Oct 29, 2009 7:17 PM

GROG still waiting for GROG' Tangaroan.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Nov 10, 2009 9:47 AM

BUMP

B

Yeah, Keep bumpin'em Grog, I'd bump a few times for one of those too!

C'Mon Surf man! DavidH, DH, Come back here AND GET BACK to WORK.

WOOOO! You guys are greattttt.
Tonight's the first night I get some rest! Big gig coming up this weekend, and into the studio saturday to record the song the "Grinch"! For an upcoming xmas compilation CD. Busy Busy. Which reminds me of a certain question for BENZARTTTTT! A certain guitar question...!
GROG, I love ya, ya ol' hairy back'd guy!
The only thing I've done lately is find a piece of KOA (Benz gave me) that would be PERFECT for a moai kava kava. Ooooo, I DID cut out an outline on a bone piece with the band saw recently.
So there ya go...I HAVE actually done SOMETHING.
sigh..
I love tiki central.
I wish it was a bar we can all walk into...every night...like a black hole or something. hee hee

L

On 2009-11-10 18:40, surfintiki wrote:
The only thing I've done lately is find a piece of KOA (Benz gave me) that would be PERFECT for a moai kava kava.

Very good idea! If you want help I have some photos of museum pieces (with lot of details) that helped me. Do not hesitate to ask!

looking forward to seeing your work!

J.

T

On 2009-11-10 18:40, surfintiki wrote:
I love tiki central.
I wish it was a bar we can all walk into...every night...like a black hole or something. hee hee

Now that WOULD be cool!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 22, 2009 10:45 AM

What kind of wood did you carve this little guy out of, and how big is he?

On 2009-10-29 19:17, GROG wrote:

GROG still waiting for GROG' Tangaroan.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 22, 2009 10:47 AM

Never mind, GROG find info.

You got any more Butternut wood?

On 2007-02-01 14:15, surfintiki wrote:
Had a lovely piece of Butternut I had to use up. And until I come up with a place to carve bigger ones, I can carve some smaller guys. Just gettin underway on, anOTHer Tangaroan. I just love these.

Here's after using the angle grinder with a freestyle blade on it.

And a little finessing with some new tools from Christmas.

GROG---the anti-Ruzic.

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-11-22 10:48 ]

Grog-the-anti-Ruzic! I like the new name, quite catchy.
Those two Tangs are different, one is Butternut, and one is Basswood. The Basswood one is 9", and a tad bigger than the butternut. No more Butternut pieces left, I'll eventually get some more though, that's a good lookin wood.
Thanks Laojia, hopefully I'll be starting on it sooooon!
I did finally manage to find a small piece of time, and put my head to the grindstone. Did a little shaping on the Tangaroan mask, and doing a commission piece in bone...so I HAVE to get that done SOME time.
Mask..

The bone twist, which will get a shell inlay in there eventually...

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Nov 22, 2009 2:26 PM

Damn Surfin...that bone looks great. I need to send you some sawz to make the rough-out easier....that looked like a beotch....

You know me, choose the slowest, most painful way!

B

Looking Real Good Surfin,
I Love the little flip-up at the end of the spiral.
"Bout time you sis something besides twang your Geetar.

The mask is looking nice, and that bone twist is taking shape perfectly. Plunge cutting with a bur, way to go!

L

Cool bone twist Surfin'!!! Perfect work on the curve and on the open work.
Hurry up to finish this Tangaroa mask... to start a Kavakava masterpiece!!! :D

J.

Very nice shape, I like the inner curl it's real cool.

T

Yep the bone twist is very cool. What are you using now to rough cut the pattern?

Many Thanks Benzer, TikiMangoMan, Laojia, TahitikiTitty...
Ahhhh Laojia, this must be killing you, the way I drag my heels!! HA HA...I'll get to it soon...I hope. You know it's gotta be done right!
BigTea! I use a scroll saw, cheaper than a band saw, but the Band saw is much stronger. Go to my page 43 to see it...I got it on craigslist for like $40! Scroll saw cuts a LOT slower than I thought it would...better than a hand saw though. But I tell ya, the sanding disc on a grinder is AWESOME. You can fly through the bone with that. Then the burrs and sanding.
Well off to band practice...no carving again tonight.
Mahalo

Just about there. Just glued in the inlay.

P

looks great!

you could go slower if you'd like.

L
laojia posted on Tue, Dec 1, 2009 8:35 PM

Hey Surfin' you make a twisted run with TikiMango? Keep care at the turning, this bones is too shiny : easy too slip! :lol:

Nice work with inlay...

J.

C

very very nice, with the inlay and all, very nice piece!

B

Well it's about time you did some more carving! I see you are a glutton for punishment with your inlays, COOL. I Know it isn't easy and I bet you found some new 4 letter words to help you along your way. :o

T

That twist is coming out great! I love where you put the inlay, can't want to see that one all finished.

S

Man you have got this down. Looks great, tight clean nice shape.

Thanks y'all.
Just some more pics. Did this for a friend, and just found out he wants two! Like I got time for that! Oh well the Easter Island stuff will have to wait a li'l longer.

Mahalo

Hey all you southerners, look at this crap! Snowed in!

B

Well now that yer snowed in, maybe you can get some stuff done? :P :o

CA

ya! more MoP stuff Toooooo!!! bitchen

Benzer- well unfortunately I had to switch over to learnin' a bunch of Elvis songs for a big Elvis 75th b'day gig we're doing. Tis going to be CRAZY!
Speakin' of CRAZY...
So nice of you to drop by, mr Crazee Al.
...you guys rock.

A
AKUAE posted on Tue, Dec 29, 2009 2:12 AM

from the side your PENCIL MOAI is perfect
great picture
some updates of this MOAI ???
bye
Akuae

C

Looking good so far with the snow and all, we know the music has you kidnapped.. a little jealous here on the carving side.. but it's ok I know you really love it, have a great new year :)

"Music has me kidnapped"!! HA HA, classic line...maybe we'll use it in a song! Thanks Clarita, have a beautiful new year!
Akuae, here's where I'm at...

Happy New Years Every Tiki TC'er out there!!! :drink:
Alo-HA!!

Niiiice!

The Moai is really coming along well. It's all in the face and you have got that "severe" expression pegged perfectly. Can't wait to see him when he is finished.

Aloha!

Marcus

B

Thanks Surfin Tiki for the happy New year wishes,,, Same to you too!
Love your Moai in the works.!

Happy new year Surfintiki...Benz...and everyone else who either chizzels...molds...
paints...collects...whatever....

Sorry to hijack your thread Surfin' :)

C

yes let's hijack surfin thread!
happy new year you all!

L
laojia posted on Sat, Jan 2, 2010 1:34 AM

On 2009-12-30 16:42, surfintiki wrote:

Alo-HA!!

You'll end this Moai before the end of the year or the music you kidnaps yet? :lol: :P
Best wishes Surfin' and all the other!

Cheers! :drink:

J.

B

Hi surfin'

best wishes for this new year which starts pretty good with this nicely Begun moai !

B.

S

Com-on bring that sucker out!

Gettin there.
Thanks all yous wondeful peoples!
Just a quick update.

Off to the mountains for a couple days snowboardin'
Back soon.
Aloha

L

:o YEAH! SURFIN'TIKI RULES! :D

J.

hes lookin sweet!!! gonna be a nice one !!! cheerz!!

Looking good!

Some cool carvins from a shop near where I went skiing. I tried to talk them into doing tikis!! :lol: I showed 'em Tiki Central on their computer, maybe slowlyyyy they'll come around HA!

sum cool stuff luv the snake and wolf!!! nice supply of wood too!!!!

P

On 2009-12-30 16:42, surfintiki wrote:
"Music has me kidnapped"!! HA HA, classic line...maybe we'll use it in a song! Thanks Clarita, have a beautiful new year!
Akuae, here's where I'm at...

Alo-HA!!

haha! i have a couple moai in this state. i think they're mad at me as i've left them like that for about 2 years.

looks great!

I hear ya Drake! Have to get something going on it though.
A little closer now, I can smell the end to this one!

Have no clue what to do on stain on this one. Gray-ish? hmmm

Aloha

oooooh, he's a nice one! It's cool to see the transition from the "rough carve"
to the finely finished piece. Can't tell you how many times I've squinted at
my chiseled work and thought "this is never gonna amount to anything" and then...Voila!

Super work...no matter what you use for stain...gonna be great.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1123 replies