Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

LATSA Picturez! Tiki Table!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,123 replies

Thanks a ton PC Tiki! It came out ok, a part from the norm for me. Not too much into the whimsical side of tiki.
And just for you, some final pics of the Octopussss
From this...

To this...

Aloha!

Nice cuts and sanding there, surfin'

All on a beautiful piece of wood!

Killer 'puss!

S

Wow! you did just right i think on the finish.
Love this carve like i have said before. You
had me thinking the other night of ideas of this
nature.

Also if you ever did make it to the Tiki Bog I would
let you pass out on the RV couch.

BD

WOW!!! ok i don't usually write in caps but that sure deserves it. he's gorgeous. the wood, the carve, the sanding, the design...just wonderful. great work surf.

bd

That's pretty nuts Surfintiki. Really nice carve, I love the
tentacles, they really "suck you in."

T

That looks amazing! Great detail on the suction cups & the strategically placed darker wood grain/knot hole really sends this piece over the top.

B

Excellent piece Surfin, you Definitely went Above and Beyond with the sanding. You really made the Octopus look soft and Slimy. This gives new meaning to "Stuck on You" and if you have never had nightmares about giant Octopi then you will after looking at this poor guy awhile.
I can imagine the hidden part of the tiki is blistered with welts from those powerful sucker cups you did so well showing us. Oh Yeah, Beautiful piece of wood and you even made it More so!
HappyhappyHappy

This is very different and very cool! I love it when someone does a great twist on a Tiki pole

Amy

EXCELLENT!!

IMHO - you're not done! This piece is screaming out for a little bit of paint. I imagine that when you look at this under normal light it looks a bit flat. Perhaps adding a slight petina or maybe even some color. Not much - just enough to highlight the beautiful wood grain. Whatever you do, DO NOT coat this in thick layer of opaque paint! Its good but could be even better!!

Awesome stuff,fantastic design and the end result
is just way to kool.Cheers Watango

Bravo...

Next?

L

Very nice finishing Surfin'! Love the fine work on sucker in the arm, natural color of the wood is fantastic!

J.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jul 24, 2009 4:44 AM

Cool Cephalopod!

a new sucker is born every minute.......

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: gman 2009-07-24 04:48 ]

[ Edited by: GMAN 2009-07-24 04:49 ]

Perfection!

D
domin posted on Fri, Jul 24, 2009 2:22 PM

I really like the puss.

just thought I'd say that. and oh.. your carving is nice too.

Lake-(surf was big tonight! :) ) Yeah, me love red cedar, except the ones WITHOUT knots in it.
Seeks-(see surf update above. hee hee) That would be a good time, partying at the bog! Thanx.
BigD-THANKS, woops, caps lock.
Conga-Thanks buddy. I'm a sucker for positive feedback!
Tab64 - Thanks, a no brainer for the inner darker wood.
Benzo - Thanks my man. He got WAY more slimey with the semi-gloss poly. I got one more piece of red cedar....hmmmmm, what to make!
Queen K - Much Thanx!! Credit due= Aloha Station. I just made a BIG one.
Aloha! - Thanks bruddah! YES I'm done! :) I must move on. I can see where paint can work, along with a million other adjustments, but I have to go on to something different for a change.
Watango - Cool! Thanx mate!
Palm City - Exactly! What now??!!
Laojia - Hey! What does Laojia mean? Thanx.
GGGGGG - You are classic!
Tiki Lizard - Perfectly put!
Domin - Whoah!

C

The octopus ended up looking great, I like very much how you did the arms, they have movement and a lot of detail, very cool!

T

Awesome finish, Great details.
This thing is super sweet.

Thanks mucho Clarita, and Thaitiki, so sweeeet of you to check it out!
Sundays work...
A longboard, retro-fish, and a shorty.

bump

Holy Crap Mooney! You must of been on crack when you went through ALL the old threads, and bumped 'em!! HA HA HA HA
Many mahalos.
I've tried to start some stuff, but who knows if I'll ever finish 'em.

just like to see the killer stuff back at the top when it desirves to!!!!Hope your doin well,Aloha, Mooney

S

Some fine looking starts!

Surfing Trip last month pic's Good time Lotta surfing going down.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=22462&id=1056165272&l=b3382315b8

Seeks! Just now saw your reply. Thanx for the photos, and the glimpse into your life over on the left coast. Man that's cool, good times going on over there...wish I was there. My sis was looking over my shoulder and laughing...one shot, bunny, next shot, taking a piss. hee heeee.

Well, just a quick photo of the THREE cords I weaved today, and some progress on the Honu, plus a little experimentation on a beach stone and a copied Marq in bone I had to make for myself.

Mahaloooooo

C

cool pendants! i've noticed a decreasing in the last few month from the surfing guys, except for lake maybe. it's just me or there's a lot of surfin' in this time of the year, or something?..

Hey Clarita, YOU'RE not out SURFIN? Jeeez! :)
You say less stuff from the surfers, except Lake??? Because Dave is ON a LAKE, there's no surf to miss!!! HA HA HA!! Dave knows I kid!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, but true. Any surfer will tell ya it's hard to find time. Surf can pop up anytime, and all the driving all over the place to find the best spot for the swell. It's hard sometimes, but you can find a balance there somehow.
MY problem is, I'm back playing in a band again. Gigging, practice, studio. PLUS full time job a half hour away from home. There's just no time to do any extras anymore.
Hey, remember the song by the Fathoms, "dark secret"? Here's a vid of me doing that song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J4LTrqEvIU&feature=channel_page
Thanks fer stoppin by!

Getting ready to glue in the Pau inlays....hmmmm what glue to use. Last time I used epoxy, and the shell cracked. Not sure if due to the heating up with epoxy. Could try super glue, I hear that works.

Looking forward to seeing that inlay inlaid. The superglue works, but if you can find it, the gel type works much better.

Mango- I went with the Epoxy again, worked real nice this time. I'll get photos up when I can. (day off, and surf's up!!!)

Really kool karves Surfintiki...always a fun thread. Looking forward to see
what happens with the Moai you have sketched out.

Thanks Conga, such a pleasure of you to stop by my cubicle. Yeahhhh eventually I'll get to that Moai...
Thought I'd quickly share my new Jazmmaster build, with the custom headstock..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J4LTrqEvIU&feature=channel_page

[ Edited by: surfintiki 2009-09-29 14:52 ]

C

I did watch your video on facebook (where i told you "me like") but i'm going to tell you again just in case, me like!! great song, very cool cover :)

You're the BEST! Yay Clarita!

B

COOL Stuff Surfin only you need a spotlight on you so we can see that purdy little face playin' that big bad stratogeetar. We want to Really make sure it's you. :o :P :lol:
Loving the recent bones too. turtles are Way cool

Thanx Benzer. Just a basic form with a little inlay.
Speaking of little turtles.

Mahalo

Really sweet Surfintiki, you bone guys make me jealous of your
skills. Looks great with the carving.

B

Yes, Really Sweet. I had no idea he was so, SO Small!. Excellent stuff there surfin

L

Nice stuff Dave! Cool inlay work.

What is the sign behind? that look like €... Want you to sell it in europe? :roll:

J.

T

NICE turtle. That inlay work had to be tricky. I'm working on my own about that size - but no inlays! LOL Well done.

Way Cool Carve!!! The whole piece looks GREAT!!!

Clean and tight work, surfin!

Love the inlays!

Thanks CoNgAtiKi
BeNzzz
Laojia-just my initials...dh
BiGt-Go man!
MoOnEy TiKi
LaKeSuRfEr

This guy is next on the chopping block.

hello surfintiki! awsome turtle realy sweet stuff w the inlays! likin the moai head! is that a block of poplar? cant wait to see this one progress! cheers!

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2009-10-12 18:54 ]

very well done keep up the good work

Big Tiki Scott! Thanks fer lookin, not popular...just plain old basswood.
Marcus the Man!!! MUCH thanks for stoppin' by! I'm honored! YOU keep up the good work too!!

L

This next one will be excelent, for sure!

J.

T

Excellent, will the new one get his own turtle? :P Is that basswood? Looks pretty clean.

S

Great looking pendent. You are mastering this?

Aweasome carves Surfintiki!!!! You really got the style goin on! Aloha, Mooney

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1123 replies