Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

LATSA Picturez! Tiki Table!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,123 replies

I like it! I like the gesso alot. I have never heard of it before, so I just did a quick google, read up, and now want to ask, why gesso? Did you have it on hand, or is it better than paint in this application? Thanks. :)

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Feb 20, 2007 7:42 PM

Another beautiful Tang. Boy do you do nice work. So clean, crisp, yet round and soft. Very very nice work. Love it!

-Gman

4wd-EXCELLENT question. Gesso is just something any fine artist has around, so yeah, I had some around. It is the whitest of whites. You use it to coat your canvas before painting, or if ya did a painting, and it sucked, you Gesso over it, and start again. Ahhhhh, I still remember the day I spilled a full jug on my new dorm room carpet at U. of Tampa in '83...ahhhh the memories. Wrecked that carpet. Everyone in my painting class class laughed their arse off at me. Classic. Me and gesso, we's goes ways back.
-sorry too much wine tonite.
ooh, I put a coat of poly on tonite...looks great. Wanna see?

F

Beautiful work, excellent detail, the gesso really sets it off.
Regards
Flynny

C

Very nice! Perfectly done!! Congrats!

It's finally final!

Thanks for Lookin'

J

And a fine finally final it is.

Sweet!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Feb 22, 2007 5:48 PM

Beautiful! Where can I get one?

-Gman

B

Veery Nice. I love the wood, the carving , the adornment and the finish. You should mold it and sell us all copies.

Come to BALLSomic.............U beautiful creature.

Dats museum quality surf!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 23, 2007 4:00 PM

Holy crap!! That is AWESOME!!!

GROG want!!! GROG willing to wrestle Freddieballs for it.

Way to go dude!!

Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!
Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!

GROG like.

GROG realize GROG never looked thru this thread before and went back to the beginning. GROG LOVE your carvings!!! Incredible stuff. GROG gotta get one!

[ Edited by: GROG 2007-02-23 16:17 ]

wow. love it! You gotta hook up with us NE tc-ers maybe at our "new find" at the South Seas in Newton Mass. or anywhere! Looking forward to meeting you!
Congrats, your work is meticulous!

MD

Very nice......very, very nice......and I want to watch Grog wrestle everyone for it. I'll bring the beer.

ST

I wanna watch Grog wrestrle Freddie's balls for it.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 23, 2007 6:00 PM

On 2007-02-23 17:53, Surf tiki wrote:
I wanna watch Grog wrestrle Freddie's balls for it.

Ummm..... that's Freddieballs, not Freddie's balls.

ST

Took Grog's advice and flipped through your whole thread. You know what I love about yrou stuff? Absent some outside scale, you have no idea the scale of them. That Tang could have been 5 feet tall for all I know. Really great stufF!!!

Great call Grog!! Many of peoples r not educated...

do we need to go further?.....Balls

Actually....Surftiki(DonKing)....Maybe you should hop in the mix....
Can U wraastle....Brootha?!

F-BALLS WINS!
I was away this weekend, came home and read the thread, and cracked up! That was great. Thanks all!

Aloha mates!
Long time no post. Sorry. Busy...Bizz-zeee.
Finally dug out some small splinters of Pine, and threw together some Hei-Matau's.
Check 'em out!

B

I Really love this guy surfintiki even though you didn't show us the fancy detail on the side there in pic # 3. Nice work.`

Thanks Benz
Yeah, there's a reason for that. I wish I could see how you would handle that detail. It's pine, so it's grainy, making the turns with a hook knife doesn't cut it. Pun intended. Tried the Dremel, different knives etc. Looks ok from distance, choppy close up. Gonna stay away from the detail for now.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Aug 12, 2007 2:16 PM

Per our discussion....search box bottom left "bud bur" then hit "enter" NOT "advanced search"

http://www.lacytools.ca/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=bud+bur&osCsid=6e2963cf0b319800d5e4e3a45146e8e5/[url]

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-08-12 14:22 ]

Really sweet job on the hammerhead Surfintiki!!
The hook is also just as nice.

[ Edited by: Moondance 2007-08-12 16:45 ]

Here's a final shot of the Hammerhead-hook, plus another one I just did.

Starting on a new one for a friend who commisioned me (That'll get me motivated!), now that I found a place to carve some bigger ones.
You know, it's funny now that I think of it...As soon as I finished the Hei-Matau shark pendant, we've been having rare, Great White shark attacks on seals, here at our local beaches...hmmmmm.

More progress on #17...

I do havea problem though, very crumbly and wet grains in some areas. Mostly running down the left side. You just hit in with the chisel, and it creates these gaps, very frustrating...but MUST prevail!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Aug 25, 2007 1:09 PM

Surfin,

That is a great looking design. Nice job. Make sure those chisels are super sharp. That might help mitigate some of the damage to the bad wood.

-G

Man that's looking cool! So is all the rest of your stuff. I really like the tang you did!

Craig

B

Yes sir, now Thats What I'm Talkin' about. This guy is gonna be Killer, Man he' s looking great!

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Aug 28, 2007 4:18 PM

I like the way this one is shaping up too. What is the place near you where there are great whites? We used to have attacks on the metro beaches (on humans!) where I grew up...

Thanx Benz & Paipo, I'm all psyched to be carving something again. Gotta pick out some moko for him!
Here's a bit about the sharks... http://hairybeast.wordpress.com/2007/08/06/probable-great-white-shark-attacks-seal-off-cape-cod-beach-second-summer-in-a-row/

Wow, that's a long link, hopefully you can get it to work! Yeah, I know all about your area there...NASTY! Poor old Australia too, lots of white pointers that'll wreck your day! I'll take it over here any day! Even know your surf is better!

My elbows are KILLING ME!! Time to stop... Worked all day, and made small progress...me must eat...me must drink. Here's the latest on the Homer Simpson look-a-like/atom bomb head tiki.

C

very nice, keep going, two more days this weekend!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 1, 2007 5:04 PM

Surfin,

That is looking sweet. Are you going to keep going this weekend? I can't wait to see what more you have in store for him. I likee!

-G

Doesn't look a whole lot different, but it is! My sore arms, hands, fingers, etc. will tell you that! Gettin' close though.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 2, 2007 6:06 PM

Surfin,

Man that looks clean and tight. The over all shape and posture on this piece is perfect. It works very well with what you have going on. I'm liking the little details you are carving now. Don't quit, keep chipping!

-G

B

LooKIN' GooD, Nice and Clean and Neat. I Love how you have the surface pretty nearly finished before you start with the fancy details, That Really helps get clean and Crisp lines.. Can't wait to see This bugger finished.

B

WOOWW
Very unique design.
Very well done.
I love the way you carved the hands and fingers.
Nice job.

Benjamin.

Alllllllllllllllrighty. Got sick of sanding...it is what it is. Went ahead and stained it. Later this week I'll put a couple coats of poly on it. This one is gonna be residing outdoors in Palm Beach Gardens Florida, so will need lots of good solid coats.

I'll put more photos up after I coat it.
Thanks for looking, and commenting!

B

Excellent job Surfintiki, nice finish and the detail is Smooth and fine. I Love the color, what stain did you use?

I dig this guy, Surfin!! Your style is unique and to me ,thats what really counts. Yer stuff is real, Homey. You know I'm a big fan of all your chops.. Keep em comin', Bro.

Freddie B!! Who loves ya babe!
Benz- Yeah I seem to love the smooth n fine bit huh? Just gotta work on my SHAPE! I'm yearning to really shape out some legs, like some of yours I've seen, like some of the Hawaiin style ones. That's coming someday soon. The stain is so quick, yet SO changing of the look, I always love that moment. It's my Min-wax, Red Sedona color. Still have a lot of it left to use up!

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Sep 3, 2007 10:49 PM

Well, I'm not in south oz anymore, though I go back to visit family from time to time. The last (and only) fatal attack in this neck of the woods was 1898! Plenty of dolphin encounters here during summer which always make me giggle like little girl...
Back on topic, this new fella really came together. He's got nice classic Poly Pop vibe happening with the mixed styles.

J

On 2007-09-03 15:34, surfintiki wrote:
Alllllllllllllllrighty. Got sick of sanding...it is what it is.

That's classic!!!! :)

Seriously it looks really good.
JP

Thanks a-oh-so-much Paipo & JohnnyP
Finally done. Now to pack it up and ship it off, that oughta be fun!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1123 replies