Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

LATSA Picturez! Tiki Table!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,123 replies

Must have been a well balanced log for that lathe! I bet it's nice and clean looking now! The lampshades are awesome!

Thats a serious lathe! Mine pails in comparision. Those lamp shades are very cool!

C

Hmm! that's not fair :)

Just a few bones goin' on.

...some need a few touches, then done.

Very nice work! Reminds me that I need to drop the chisels for a few days and make some pendants!

They all look great - but I really like the skull biter!

Mucho thanks Capt'n, and Aloha.

More work on the SeaHorsey..

Mahalo for da look see

C

Awesome new ones! very neat and delicate, and very nice pics too :)

Hey Dave,whats goin on with that lathe skun log?

A
amate posted on Thu, May 3, 2012 12:16 PM

I don't know how I missed the seahorse. That's just as good or better than the octopus.

Thanks Amate.
Funny you ask Wango
Just started this Marq...

long ways to go.

P

nice draw-out...

B

Some nice stuff here David, also your debarker friend surely Does have some cool stuff and that is a Serious lathe he's using too!.

Thanks Benz and PJC
Just an update, had a little time today to do some whittling'...

Mo' progress.

Dude rocks

N

coming along very nicely.

Nice! He'll be stylin before ya know it!

that's looking good..

M

Very nice marq!

keep going

Mahalo

McTiki

Thanx for the support there Hang10, Nixxon, C.J., A.mess, McTiki...always appreciated.
Almost done, still got a little decorating and some Tung oil to be done, before the final glamour shots. AND got a little movie on it I'm trying to assemble, hopefully it works out. I'll post it here eventually.

H

Just perfect.

BT

Pretty nice work.

C
Cljha posted on Mon, May 28, 2012 9:06 AM

Well done, I'm usually not a huge fan when it comes to colouring the wood but this one looks really awesome.
By the way, I checked your website, cool pictures, do you shoot the B&W ones with analog camera or is it digitally done to be process with a software?
Take care

That is perfect I love it. make me want to go carve that s is Bananas

Thanks Hitike and Badddd Tiki.
Cljha-thanx for checking that out. All but maybe one or two are b&w film (slide& print) on a 35mm SLR. I've got update that site, it's kinda old!

Just got to explain how I RUINED this piece! I really liked it before I stained it, shoulda quit while I was ahead. The wood didn't take the stain right at all, turned the teeth, what I wanted lighter, REALLY dark, almost black. The flat areas just came out blotchy and muddy, and came out real light in areas.
Well it is what it is, time to move on! I'll put up some more shots, I thought the back was cool, where I left some of the bark on, gives it an alligator back kinda look.
Also video coming!

Nice Marq Surfintiki, and it doesn't look ruined to me! Is that basswood? My one
complaint about the basswood that I use is that it can take a hell of a lot of work to
get a consistent finish. But it looks great from my vantage point.

Thanx Conga...not basswood. My bother who cut it down said it's related to the Aspen family...it's still under debate!

Here's the video I promised!!....

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=3754805123119

C

Thanks for the answer, I thought it was film B&W picture, 'coz if one thing the digital camera are still not able to do is good B&W....or maybe the last one by leica, but who has 6000euros for a camera even though it is a leica :wink:
Cool work with the video by the way

Yeah I agree,the Marq is totally RUINED!:lol:
Nice touch with the vid.

Damm,one day I'll workout those smileys.

Thanx Wango...Rue-eeend..ruined! :wink:

[ Edited by: surfintiki 2012-05-29 16:53 ]

T

Killer video! But waaay too short. Left me wanting more! Awesome tiki surfin! Luv the precision and the finish.

Thanx BigT
Yeah, I had to show it twice just to get a sampling of the song I put with it!
It was too much a pain in the ass to keep setting up the camera and take another shot, when I was getting some good carving in.
Then I was confronted with the slight movements of each picture, and the different lighting etc, and had to crop and paste each pic to center it better.
It was cool and fun, but won't be doing it again!
Anyone else? Give it a try! I'd like to see some more of that kinda stuff.

A
amate posted on Thu, May 31, 2012 3:39 PM

No luck with the video for the technologically challenged but I'll try again. Great carve!

Here's another link for the video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s_oWsAJPsA&feature=g-upl

Some final Photoz...

:drink:

M

Ridiculously nice Surfin!

Tedious details show here! Depth is nice for this style. Colors are beautifuly done and with great care.

Well done!

Mahalo

McTiki

Great glamour shots, can't think of any way that it could be better. For some
reason I am drawn to the teeth...I like what you did there with the offset from
top to bottom...if you know what I mean. Nice work.

Great Marq
Kool video

I like it! Well executed.

Btw, is that your pet lynx in the background or just a big house kitty?

S

Oh man! Perfection on this guy.

nice touch leaving some bark on the back. great tiki.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Feb 12, 2013 10:05 AM

Where are you?

G
GROG posted on Wed, Apr 3, 2013 10:07 AM

Sending out a search party soon.

Aloha!
Jeeeez, I thought I faded away! Everything was getting really blurry and dull!

M

Whats on deck? Now that you've been located....

McTiki

Yeah, exactly! What's on deck...well a MRI tomorrow. Bad elbow keeping me from carving...I think CAUSED by carving! LOL
But I'm getting to the bottom of it, and hope to get it FIXED!...I hope.

M

[ Edited by: mctiki 2013-04-16 13:49 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1123 replies