Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

LATSA Picturez! Tiki Table!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,123 replies

Thanks peeps. Yeah, ya gotta like his smirky smile, he's sayin...hee-hee-hee I got you good, right in your eye! Thats what ya get for making all dis-proportionate!
He's 15" and shrinking!

He's a mischievious-looking little dude.... but as cool as can be. Fine work, surftiki!

Very cool... I love the way you shape the inside of the eyes!

He looks like a good luck tiki for some reason. I'd let him guard the Lotto tickets. More progress shots would be cool!

Here's my latest CARVING for THANKSGIVING. Now it's time to get STUFFED.
[i

s U r F i N t i k i

[ Edited by: surfintiki 2008-11-08 17:38 ]

Oh man, that's how I feel right now. That sweet potatoe pie took me over the edge. Wow, he looks great, Surf. Very clean original looking piece. What kind of stain is that? It's just the right amount of reddish tone to the brown.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Nov 25, 2005 3:10 AM

I agree, thats a cool looking stain, and a cool looking tiki. Nice work. Good luck on that eating thing too...

Nice look and great stain finish Surfintiki....how tall...looks like 12-16 inches....dammit....I'm
gonna get a friend to help lug a log into my basement...I cannot possibly wait until spring....
especially with all the great stuff being posted now.

Thanks
AA: I bought another can of Minwax, Red Mahogany, it's now my fave for just the reasons you said...Dark, with hints of red. I tried something different too, did one coat, sanded a lot of it down, then applied a big, fat, heavy coat, that I DID NOT wipe off. It's taking days to dry, but it is drying...been almost 4 days, and just about dried. I'll poly it too, to get that shine, and bring out the reds a little too. I made a big belly on this mini Marq, because the person who wants it, wanted a Buddha-like belly.
Hewey: I ate so much, my belly looks like the belly on the tiki!
Conga: He's 15". Get a small log you can carry, and carry it right into your basement! Chip away. What better way to spend a cold winter?

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Nov 25, 2005 2:07 PM

ST,

Another beautiful carving. I REALY like this one. I agree, I'm big on the look of mahogany stains. I like using them with ebony and poly. This piece looks great. Kudos for a job well done. Very Stylie!

-Gman

Aloha surfintiki!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice carving . He looks like he is ready to style on a stick(board)
Aloha,Mooney

Great choice of color on the stain. It really complimented your carving. Nice in deed.

Well, it's about time I post something. Here's a tiny pendant that Benz inspired me on, and a piece of cherry that has been watching me walk past it for too long.
I'm sooo jealous of what I might of learned at coontiki, it looks like it was a phenomenal success.

s U r F i N t i k i

[ Edited by: surfintiki 2008-11-08 17:42 ]

K
kirby posted on Sun, Apr 23, 2006 3:23 PM

i love that pendent... great work... mabey we could pull of a trade sumtime...let me know...kirby..

Surfintiki,

Super killer pendant. The cherry wood looks awesome. I love how animated it looks.

Will

J

Cherry works well on that piece. The eyes are a knockout!!
JP

B

Surfintiki, that is an Awesome inspiration from # 13 that I did a Long time ago.Very well done and infact Better than my original with the eye inlay. Excellent! Here is the original looking on at the birth of a Moai

Keep up the great work

Kirby-Thanks man, I need to get a few more under my belt before I'm ready to trade any away!
Will- t'anks mon...thank benz for the original deezign too!
JP-Yeah the eyes were fun. I'm gonna have to search more to find unique shells n' such to use.
Benzzzz-well, you know. You rule. (thanks!)

Surfintiki that pendant Looks freakin awesome!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
Later,
Spermy

T

Very Nice! I love the wood! Keep it up!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Apr 24, 2006 8:26 PM

ST,

Were ya been mang? I love the pendant. The style, color, and inlays look wonderful. Let's see more. Thanks for posting pics.

-Gman

Here's # 12...Local Pitch Pine...crap...crap...crap! Wood is cracking so bad on me, it's practically happening as I watch!...Oh well, I'm not gonna finesse it, just gonna experiment with new stains etc. and be done with it. I look like a frogman here! Woo-hoo.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jun 18, 2006 6:24 PM

Go man Go! Don't stop 'till that bugger is fishished! He looks great so far. Forget about the cracks...just keep going and work around 'em. Thanks for posting.

-Gman

Here's my next progress shot. Added some shading stain to the recesses, made from oil paint and turpentine...kinda gives it a blow torch look. Also added a min-wax "driftwood" stain, for a rustic, krusty, relic look. Works perfect for wood with cracks and flaws. Next I'll poly it, to protect it, which will darken the face a little, hopefully. But also hope it won't make it too shiny.

s U r F i N t i k i

[ Edited by: surfintiki 2008-11-08 17:44 ]

H

Looks great! I, like some others, think the cracks add that little boost of character needed for the old-school look. That pendant looks x-tra sweet too-great finish, a real eye-pleaser.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jun 24, 2006 9:45 AM

I agree. Good stuff. I'm glad you didn't let the cracks stop you. It looks like you found a way to make them a part of the piece, I like it. Let us see some more once you get the final coats on.....

-Gman

Thanks Surf and Gman, gotta love the character cracks give! Thanks for lookin'!
Just one coat of poly, I want an oldish look to it, but still want to seal it up.

H

Supa-sweet! looks like he's been sitting in the corner of some dark, mysterious, coastal watering hole since waaay back. Nice background too! Orleans, MA is looking real good!

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. -- Henny Youngman
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=260220&ck=

[ Edited by: surf-n-turf 2006-06-25 15:59 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jun 25, 2006 4:39 PM

Very nice! What a great look he has! Crack will do that.....

Well, I finally got a chance to upload something. It's been jammin' summer. Busy, busy...but not a lot of carvin' unfortunately. Still waiting for some wood to dry out. In the meantime here's some progress on a Tangaroan I'm carvin' for myself!

[ Edited by: surfintiki 2006-09-19 14:51 ]

Commin' along nicely! Very smooth and symmetrical. I'm going to have to try something like this.

M

Beautiful start Surfin!!! Beautiful! What wood is it? I just finished one as a gift but, I couldn't have a weenous on him. Love the belly button too!

Mahalo

McTiki

Thanks Finkdaddy-o and McTiki, always good to hear. It's just your everday ol' basswood. Carves and stains easy, guaranteed not to crack!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Sep 19, 2006 3:59 PM

Surfin',

Hurrrrray! Thanks for posting him....bean a long time mang! He looks awesome. Little bugger too! I can't wait to see him with his face on. Love the look so far!

-Gman

Yo G! Wasssssuppp mang?! Everything's little on this guy, huh?! Thanks for encouraging me to post. I'll post new pics soon.

He is a nice lookin tang - your other stuff is great - it is great to watch your stuff evolving - I'll be watchin to see the progress on this little guy.

Thanks Mate (Marcus), here's a few more pics after a little work this weekend.

M

Very nice Surfin! Very nice!

Mahalo

McTiki

cool one Surfintiki...great lines and sooooooooooo smoooth......wonderful
piece.

I hate you carvers that make everything look soooo easy! Nice job!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 24, 2006 4:46 PM

Surfin,

Man does he look great! Dang he looks smooth! This is going to be one awesome Tang! Way to go my man; I can't wait to see him with finish. Any thoughts on how you want to finish him?

-Gman

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Sep 24, 2006 5:20 PM

Nice form, he may be little but at least he's packin'!

Thanks McT, Cong, Fink, G & P!
Ahhhh yes, how will I stain 'er. I wish I did 2, do one in a blue with lots of paint detail (Schmaltz style), and one solid dark stain (Cook Island style). I think I'm gonna try some white paint markings, with a stain over it...hope I don't shmuck it up. First, my favorite, more sanding. :(

Textbook example of a Tongaroa! I love it. Great work. That one is hard to get those sweeping angles right on when carving. I've only ever done two! Gecko used to do these this way, too, true to the form. Great to see.

B

Yes, he definitely looks great! Excellent smoothing and form. The only problem I see is not enough Pictures! :)

Thankyou master Kahuna, and master Benzart...nod...nod, ahhhhh more photos you say?!!
Finish up the sanding..

Use a little oil paint for design

Force 'em to hang ten

quality control inspection

Well, I just stained 'em, and woooo I'm stoked! There is no feeling in the world, like those last steps in making this tiki come to life. I'll be postin' new pics soon.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Sep 29, 2006 4:46 PM

Wow! Surfin' that is one killer carving! Way to go! Please post the stained pics soon.

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-09-30 07:54 ]

Damn, but that is a lot of sanding. Great job, great design!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1123 replies