Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

LATSA Picturez! Tiki Table!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,123 replies

B

WOW, Surfin, I Love this shark. The Slick Movement in him is totally Incredible,, Beautiful design and carve. Then there's that EyE, an Evil on if there ever was one, Perfect job getting the lines so perfect and fitting the inlay too.
Oh yeah, Love the Moai he has slithered up on.

Thank-you sir Benz!!! God I missed you at the Hukilau...NEXT year for SURE!!!!
I need to do some more slithering sea cratures in bone huh?

great piece, surf! it looks very contemporary, but still has the tradional shape of a hei matau.

maaaaan surfintiki, i just spent some time going back through your thread again and i love your style you have developed. great attention to detail and very clean design.......love that last tang too. great work, what else can be said.

Thanx Kings, from Sackatamato!
Creative Chimp, THANX, for taking the time to go back through the thread...I don't even think I have the time to do that! I hope your Parrish stays oil-free! I went to U. of Tampa, may, many years ago!
Aloha

[ Edited by: surfintiki 2010-06-23 18:32 ]

C

Great little shark, i love the pic on "the sea" :)

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jul 16, 2010 12:46 AM

Your carving tools are getting rusty, dude.

P

Hey surfn, you're a UT grad?

Small world...I live in Riverside Heights about a mile or 2 from the campus.

I haven't been back there since '84!!!
I hear it's pretty darn nice now, they've really fixed up that city. I can still remember many a night staggering between palm trees along the Hillsborough river trying to get back to my dorm!! ha ha

TK

you probably wouldn't recognize the place. downtown has really changed from 84. even around the campus is vastly different. come back sometime.

Finally did a little bone work this weekend. Started a couple different things, even tried some shell (doesn't carve too well).
This tail just needs some magical lashing, that IrishCarver has been kind enough to show me.

Very Nice!!
I need a youtube video of....
How To Magical Lash!!
Awesome stuff!

B

Sweet tails Surferdude.

S

Fine looking whale tale David.

I'm still waiting for the surf to do something this summer.

C

Smoooth!

Still carving away here and there. A couple new ones, and even some shell...but still putting off the lashing. I know once I start that, it's gonna get complicated on me!
Seeks: you gotta get on the SUP thing, GREAT for your balance, make ya a better surfer, and give ya something to surf on, when the surf is teeny weensy.

S

Like the S-ray.

Man those stand ups are expensive. We have waves of good size year round.
Would be nice for inland.I am seeing them in the line up allot more these days. They make me feel like a short boarder feels, they sit deeper than me and they catch almost any wave.

Thanks Seeks. The Manta-ray is a cool one, I had too narrow a piece of bone for this one. I would of liked to have the wings a little wider...oh well, next one!
Yup, SUP's are dominating line-ups, which is lame...they need to go to different breaks! But surf, or no surf...you'll have fun!...AND get a great work out. I picked mine up used for $650.
Mahalo braddah

Those are sweet looking pieces there tiki surfah. I especially like the whale tail, it's a simple design yet it's form gives it a bold statement, to me it does anyway.

All that's left is the cording & lashing to complete the look. I tend to put the cord braiding off too because it's not that exciting as carving is. The lashing, not so bad because I know when that's complete, I'll have a complete piece. It looks harder but if you get down to it, it's actually pretty easy depending on what look you're going for. Good luck & post pics of the finished pieces, SOON! :lol:

P

Ha! You said "whale tail" and this was the first thing to come to mind:

And yeah, those SUP guys get on my nerves. It seems that a lot of them don't understand basic surf etiquette, like don't be a WAVE HOG. Just because you can paddle in deeper doesn't mean you should take EVERY SINGLE WAVE out there.

Here in Hawaii, if you drop in on them, they swing their paddle at you to knock you off. If your paddling out, & you get too close, they bop you on your head as a warning. First & last guy who did that to me was knocked out when he got to shore. I never did see him again. Do they do that anywhere else?

Hey pj, those literally looked more like tuna tails :lol:

[ Edited by: coconuttzo 2010-08-03 12:49 ]

T

On 2010-07-25 13:55, surfintiki wrote:
Finally did a little bone work this weekend. Started a couple different things, even tried some shell (doesn't carve too well).
This tail just needs some magical lashing, that IrishCarver has been kind enough to show me.

Nice bone carves. Yep, that shell is pretty brittle huh? Seems like it would be pretty obvious, but a whole other thing once you put a dremmel to it! :lol:

Ha HA! Go away for a bit, and come back to some classic shtuff!! Yeah, those ARE Tuna tails alright. hee hee. Classic story there Cocoa-nuts. That sounds about right. Not so big on the "Hawaiian-Punch" around here, but definitely a locals only vibe at the best spots. We're so inundated with "tourons" here in the summer, and the waves are so small, that it don't matter. Someone bonks me on the head with a paddle...at my spot...Hawaiian-Punch time"!!! HA HA!
Big T's...I'm getting a little better at the shell, treating it like stone...doing it under water. Seems to help.
Aloha

I'm gonna head bop you with my paddle when I get over to ya Surfin.....Saturday hopefully, you gonna be out??

Not sure where I'm gonna be Saturday...it's my birthday! Waves look good possibly on Friday. Oh yeah, we got a gig in Asleton Park @ 6:30pm (friday)...downtown Hyannis by the Docks...check us out! We're gonna RAWK!
I will be in the water sometime Saturday...I'll wrap your paddle around your neck!! HA HA HA HA HA HA

On 2010-08-03 12:04, pjc5150 wrote:

It seems like the back of these two have developed a "check"

sorry about the multiple replies.

I know, it wasn't even that funny the first time

Sorry I couldn't help myself.....

Sorry even more.........

Now that last one was definately a WHALE'S tail. :lol: Literally

C

See what happens when you don't finish your carves fast enough?! people go crazy! hurry hurry before your thread go strait to whale, I mean hell :)

That's too funny Clarita, this whole page is filled with a lot of "what-not"!!
I might attempt some lashing today...but ....it's a realllll ...niiiiice ...dayyyyy though!

A
amate posted on Sun, Aug 8, 2010 11:38 AM

:lol:

L
laojia posted on Sun, Aug 8, 2010 9:11 PM

Example for whale tail lashing:

I'd like to see that up close!!

Wassssuuuuuup? Surf's up! Hell yeah! Nice day to catch some waves. Lashings can always wait. Perfect swells don't :lol:!

Alright, finally posting something here. After meeting with Damien (Irish Carver) 2 weeks ago, I thought I had the lashing figured out...WRONG! So, just had a beer with Damien and went over it again, with a little more hands on.
Here's the one Irish Carver did for me...

and here's the one I did, when I got home.
Friggin' figures I'd make the cord TOO SHORT! AHHHH. Was going good too. :x

Man I'm glad I got here late again,with the sup haters and all Sorry boyz bout the SUPer hoggin the breaks if they would read what Jerry Lopez says and slide over a bit and spot waves for your laydown friends and share those waves all will B COOL!!! Sorry but I do Pretty much ride SUPs now almost all the time down to a 9'6" round pin but my whole body is getting in excellent shape (shape of a pair)lol Akkkkkkk!!!!! and getting 20 waves in a hour session but away from the pack and not takin any from the laydown boyz n girls!!!
By the way SWEEEEEEEEET carvings!!!!! ok I'll slide back in my Surf cave again into hybernation!!! Take careand Aloha, Mooney

Oh ya that is quiet alot of whale tails goin on !!!! Have Fun , MOOney

Looking good man. See I told you it was easy!!!

Thanks Mooney! And THANX Damian!
Well, Finally completed the Manta Ray today. Went for a morning SUP session and collected some nice surf stones, which prompted me to inlay the eyes, and FINISH this thing!

Here the trick from Louie the fish...

Finally finished the whale tail too.

Sorry for my lack of hangin' here at TC, I am looking though. Off to a booze cruise with the band now...ALOHA!!!

L

On 2010-08-28 11:59, surfintiki wrote:

Here the trick from Louie the fish...

Ha ha! Excelent trick, I've use the same for my Hei Tiki pendant... Very good work on the whale tail, we thought it will move!

J.

C

your bone carvings is getting better and better, very very neat work! love the whale tale, i mean the bone one of course! :roll:

great bone carve surfintiki and like the whale tail photo's too. and the lashing on the pendants look great ......i've looked online and haven't had much luck find one good source for tying and lashing....any advice to a novice?

[ Edited by: Creative Chimp 2010-09-07 13:27 ]

Thanks CC. It seems no one wants to share these hidden, ancient secrets! It's like a magician giving away his secrets. Things are kinda changing though, because it's becoming a lost art. There is a guy who taught a class at the Lake Buena Vista resort hotel, in Orlando, Uncle Hank? Don't know last name. Don't know if he still does it or not.
I don't know what taboos I might be treading on by telling you this!!! ha ha :tiki:

T

Really nice. I've got to do some research on the bone carves. Every one that is doing it on here does great work.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1123 replies