Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

LATSA Picturez! Tiki Table!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,123 replies

S

Loving the bones works. Man summer almost over. Surf has been crappy out her on the west coast.

The guy that surfin is talking about is called Uncle Hank Uhumukini. He teaches classes at the Ho'ike Hawaiian festival in Orlando every October, I think. It coould be November. He does some cool classes such as bone carving, tying and drum making. It is worth going down there to check it out.

Got a birthday gift request from a friend who's a Buffet lover, so cranked out a Louie Design.

Aloha

Love it...really nice work as always. Good to know the Buffett fan has good
taste in accessories.

Beware of copyright broski! Some people don't like their designs being copied! I think it's cool man but just saying. There was an issue between two guys on Facebook recently, over copying designs!

Yikes, good point, you're right. I need to keep that in mind. At least this was a one-time thing for an old girl friend.

T

Those finished up really nice. I know what you guys mean about the lashings. I look online for info and it's really hard to find! Nice work.

Wow, long time, no post. I hate to go that long without posting SOMETHING. Busy with the band, blah blah blah.
Anywho, have been dabbling when I can. Here's the shark's tooth I've been wanting to do. Mano Mana!

Aloha
Dave

M
McTiki posted on Sat, Feb 5, 2011 5:28 PM

Amazing shell work. I'm loving the boards! (Fish)

Mahalo!

groovy shark tooth surftiki......looks like it would hurt....

L
laojia posted on Sun, Feb 6, 2011 9:24 PM

Very good work Dave... Clean and distinguished

J.

Thanks McTiki, you're a Fish guy eh?
Chimp, thanks for looking...looks sharp, but not-so-much!
Thanx Jerome!

Just finished a piece for a friend who's a DJ, and known as Tony Squidheelie!
Kind of a fun one to do.

Mahalo!

maaaaaaan surfintitki.....thats a beautiful squid pendant. very unique and clean design.

Seeing these photos legitimately makes me want to learn how to carve. Also, glad to see a fellow Massachusetts artist!

C

Great new ones, I specially like the mano mana, very nice.

A
amate posted on Tue, Feb 22, 2011 2:16 PM

Ok, that's it!! I've got to start learning to carve bone. That squid is simply over the top man! How long did it take to carve it? and, how long have you been carving bone?

Ha ha, thanks Amate. Not long enough! Actually would have to look that up...I'm too lazy...couple years anyway.
Mostly waiting to get back to some logs!
Thanks man!

Boy , do I feel like a schmuck! You've been on TC since '04, live right in my backyard & I just discovered your work, today! Dude, your stuff is amazing! I assume you sell some of it? I'll be watching this thread anxiously awaiting new projects.
Mahalo,
Rick

Cool! Watsup Big Kahuna! My brother lived in Grafton for years, now in Northborough.
Thanks for looking. Sold most everything, only a couple keepers here and there.
Don't be too anxious!! HA HA
Been playing in a band, and that took away all my carving time...just some bone stuff 's all I've been doing.
Hoping to get to some wood-chopping bliss this summer!
Great having some peeps close by. Just discovered "irishcarver" here on TC, lives here on the Cape too.
Mahalo my good friend!

L

On 2011-02-21 11:40, surfintiki wrote:

Glad you back to carve somemone! Very good squid David!

J.

H

Whoa!!! Really cool stuff Dave!

Nice squid!!!

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2011-03-04 22:30 ]

Thanx Hodad and Vampiress!! Thanks for looking.

Just wanted to mention to any of the carvers interested, I'll be in Hawaii for 2 weeks, leaving this wednesday.
Hoping to see LOTS of carvins. ...and drink lots of mai tais....and surf...and etc etc etc

T

Send us a postcard! :wink:

Aloha surfntiki,
While on Oahu, stop by the Dole Plantation, visitor's center. At the back of the building(outside) there is a vendor under a hand carved sign of a large fish hook and the words, "Makau..." who sells some really exquisite bone carvings. He is Tongan & his name is Sami. He used to be my high school freshman art teacher. He makes the most beautiful carvings out of the most rarest of raw materials such as Wooly Mammoth Tusks, Whale Bone(you have to see the herd of Humpbacks carved from fossilized whale rib), ancient walrus tusks, even petrified dinosaur bones & teeth. He does not allow any picture taking of his carvings which is the reason you have to see it with your own eyes. It may very well be worth your entire trip.

Big T...will do!!
Nutz...AWESOME info! Thanks. I'm on that. Went there last year to the plantation, but didn't check that out! Cool.
Aloha

Aloha!

I recognize the Polynesian Cultural Center(PCC) tikis. They were carved by that Tongan carver, Sione “Tuione” Pulotu featured on the Green Sawmill Tikis:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37597&forum=7&hilite=Sione Pulotu

He also carved majority of all the PCC Tikis. I'm not sure if you noticed that if you traveled down that road that you took the pic from towards BYU-Hawaii & made the 1st left along PCC's fence, over that fence, you'd notice a large canoe house which houses a huge double hull canoe replica of what the 1st Polynesian seafarers must've used when they discovered the islands, becoming the Hawaiians. Sione was the architect & main builder for that canoe.

Read the articles on the 2nd page of the above thread.

T

SWEET. Looks like you found a cool art gallery.

Yeah Big T! That vintage tiki art caught my eye, that was just some stuff in Wyland Gallery, Haliewa.
Coco- I missed Sami, but met his bro Sebastian...super cool. And MAN that was some unreal stuff! I felt like a pervert just sitting and staring at all his carvings! So many ideas and concepts, so many forms and materials!! That was cool,I'm going back in a couple of days...maybe Sami will be there. Thanks for the tip!

T

I'm going back to oahu in Feb 2012. I didn't get to see the whole island. I need to know where to buy a tiki made in hawaii and not a mass produced one.

I need a REAL tiki :) Any help would be great.

Thanks

Well, here's one guy. He's along the roadside just past Turtle Bay on the North Shore (coming from Haliewa). He also carves at the Sheraton Waikiki.
He's a Tongan carver, doing Hawaiian, oceanic, wood, bone etc etc.
His name is Tonu Naeata.
Here's a few pics...

WOOHOO! That's some killer stuff man! Looks like you're in tiki heaven over there. I love the marine life sculpture. The mahimahi looks good enough to eat. Tikichaz, when you do go to Oahu & look for your authentic tiki, don't go to the swapmeat/fleamarkets. Those are the massed produced ones which are cheaply made coming from Asia. You would have to drive out of the city to the countryside(North to East). I recommend Kamehameha Hwy. You can either start on the Windward side(Kaneohe) & head North, or you can start from the North Shores beginning with Haleiwa & head towards Kaneohe. There are a bunch of Tiki carvers along that drive who have their art displayed along the road. Just make sure that you're not too focused on the beautiful scenery because you may miss them. :lol:

Here's one of them, another Tongan carver named Maile Niu. The road that he's carving in front of is Kamehameha Hwy. He's on the Kaneohe end of the drive, close to Kualoa Ranch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfC4okh7OKM&feature=related

geeeeez....man. i love that two tiki shot with the rain cloud in the background. and that sea life carving..HOLY @#$%!!!!!!!! my god thats amazing....your a lucky man to be in paradise

......and here i am sitting at work. :( surfing the internet and not the waves....

hope you have a great time dude!!!!!!

[ Edited by: Creative Chimp 2011-03-25 06:12 ]

T

Thanks Guys...

We went to oahu in 2009 for are honeymoon. We are staying at the hilton this time we go. I heard it's nice.
We only went as far north as the polynesian cultural center (which was awesome and are doing it again) so we will have to go futher north.
Cant wait to go tiki searching. Those are great tips.

On a sad note I really want to go back to pearl harbor, but I cry when I see that place. Maybe the second time would be better,but who knows.
People where laughing because I was crying.

Can't wait to go !!

[ Edited by: tikichaz 2011-03-26 08:44 ]

P

Wow coco, that dude's stuff is insane!

I've sat and watched that video like times in a row.

On 2011-03-25 05:18, coconuttzo wrote:
WOOHOO! That's some killer stuff man! Looks like you're in tiki heaven over there. I love the marine life sculpture. The mahimahi looks good enough to eat. Tikichaz, when you do go to Oahu & look for your authentic tiki, don't go to the swapmeat/fleamarkets. Those are the massed produced ones which are cheaply made coming from Asia. You would have to drive out of the city to the countryside(North to East). I recommend Kamehameha Hwy. You can either start on the Windward side(Kaneohe) & head North, or you can start from the North Shores beginning with Haleiwa & head towards Kaneohe. There are a bunch of Tiki carvers along that drive who have their art displayed along the road. Just make sure that you're not too focused on the beautiful scenery because you may miss them. :lol:

Here's one of them, another Tongan carver named Maile Niu. The road that he's carving in front of is Kamehameha Hwy. He's on the Kaneohe end of the drive, close to Kualoa Ranch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfC4okh7OKM&feature=related

Kualoa Ranch :o How did I miss this guy :( We drove by there many times.
Your right.. we must of been more focused on scenery :) Well this guy will be getting alot of my business. I'm going to be bringing back some of those bad boys.:tiki:

Holy moly it's been a long time since I swung at a chisel. Feels soooo goooood.
Still too busy to do much though. The band is kicking into high gear this summer.
This one is a wedding present, and a must-do!

Just your ordinary Marq after a couple hours. Got a ways to go.

Update...

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jul 14, 2011 7:01 PM

Lookin' good.

L

Damn, 1001 reply!

Happy your back on the bench Dave! :D
Especially to make so pretty Marquesan.... Update update!

J.

Whoah! Looks like Grog got the 1000th!!! Thanx Laojia.
Well, this wood was still wet when I cut into it...so I had to carve it fast before the wood split too much. Then I can seal it with some polyurethane and try to seal in some moisture.
Some stain, no Poly yet.

T

SWEET present!

P

nice marq bro!

I dig it!

Thanx peeps. The thing got some major splits in it drying out, but it just made it look more antique. Tikis are good like that. :wink:

Just another glory shot, with some poly on it...trying to stop the cracking by sealing it good with the polyurethane.

T

Grrrreat job!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1123 replies