Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

LATSA Picturez! Tiki Table!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,123 replies

Those little guys are just the best! Anyone would be foolish to pass one of those guys up for sale. Great work!

HOLY CRAP everybody! Thanks for all the festering on my Tang!
Here's a couple other shots I had, but he's gone now! Headin' to the west coast!
Seeks, glad your still droppin in on me! ...you grommet!
BTScott, wood is good, wood is good, wood is good
Godz, ...clean...at first glance anyway!
C-Goat, didn't really get a good side shot, woops. Got a few other shots though.
Lizard, Thanks so much!

Don't know if I'll get a new one started or not before I go to Hawaii in April. If Not, see ya when I get back!
Mahalo

-Dave

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 16, 2010 7:10 PM

B

Hey Surfin',, Who did you pay to do that Excellent finish for you, I know You couldn't do that,,Could you? :o :D

just joking, I Know they did it for free :lol:

Excellent finish on that one by the way.

S

Surfin' - those look good. Thanks for the extra views.

C

Beautiful beautiful tang oh my! i agree with benella, carving, sanding and symmetric perfection wow!
I guess you are thinking of your trip to Hawaii and that gave you an extra something? i don't know, what ever it was, keep that up, because it's amazing! please take a lot of pics if you can, for the poor sister here in the south that probably will never go there, please?... anyway ,impressive tang sir!

T

Yep, beautiful piece. I love the finish. What kind of top coat is that?

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Mar 18, 2010 1:08 PM

surfintiki -

My God, very impressive and judging from the response you get - very desirable too!

Keep up the high quality chops and keep postin' - Thanks!

I guess I can ask here in case I missed something...have you carved a "surfing-tiki" idol? Quasimodo....aaareeeeebbbaaaahhh!!!

On 2010-03-18 10:45, Clarita wrote:
Beautiful beautiful tang oh my! i agree with benella, carving, sanding and symmetric perfection wow!
I guess you are thinking of your trip to Hawaii and that gave you an extra something? i don't know, what ever it was, keep that up, because it's amazing! please take a lot of pics if you can, for the poor sister here in the south that probably will never go there, please?... anyway ,impressive tang sir!

Oh girl, you are too kind! And, um, yeah, I'm quite obsessed with Hawaii right now!! Can't wait can't wait can't wait...it's going to be tiki-riffic! I will definitely post a pic or two for you...or I can email, oh, say a thousand + photos if you like! hee he.
Well if you can't go to Hawaii, I'll just have to take you someday!!

Thanks Big T and Tik G, and big Benzerino ( sorry Ben, I like tweeking your name!)
It was just a light semi gloss poly coat over a stain. Oh, Tiki G, I did do a surfintiki one a while back, go back to page 19 for a glimpse.
Aloha

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 18, 2010 11:35 PM

The little guy is safe and happy in his new home. GROG happy.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-03-18 23:36 ]

K

good to see you back and as always amazing art!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Keigs! Mahalo.

Well, playin with a little hook, and tried drilling a hole, and BOOP! Broke in half.
Sooo, super glue it? Cut it in half and make it a wooden/bone combo?
Is super glue do-able?

-Dave

Sorry to see that. Super Glue will work, but you'll always notice a hairline crack, but it will be just as strong as usual. I've never tried the wood/bone hooks, but it would be the right thing to do I think.

Idus Martiae, or Beware the Ides of March. You get to join the club with Benzart and me, and broken art. April is just around the corner.

T

wood and bone Sounds great!

Superglue does work well on bone, and the crack won't show at all if you cover it with a cord lashing.

Thanks guys, went with the super glue...I'm saving the wood/bone combo for another time.
Not too shabby.

B

Cool Fix Surfin,, Looks like you had too many instructions from me??? :o

C

...With congas ribs I thought you had broken one of your bones! sorry about to hook.
and about the trips to hawaii, haha, thanks very nice of you, but you don't have to bribe me for me to say those last two carving were extra inspired and great, I really really think so, trust me :)

S

Dam on the broken bone. Looks ok on the fix? You like stone bone or wood best or dont
care?

Not much surf this winter. Im looking forward to getting back in the surf groove
soon. Looks like you had some crazy weather this winter? Did you say you where moving
soon?

I thought I'd share some of my interesting finds here in Hawaii, N.E. side of Oahu to be specific.

Ahhhh to live HERE!!

Hey surfin,
Nice pics from Hawaii.
Beach, surf shop and cafe, what more do we need except some carving tools and a log!
Mahalo's,
Pat

S

Oh man I'm so jealous!

Thanks Grapa. Here's more for ya, Seeksurf...here's what we surfed yesterday at Off the Wall...mmmm nice

and a tiki temple at Waimea

L

On 2010-04-23 15:41, seeksurf wrote:
Oh man I'm so jealous!

Same thing!! :P :evil: :P

...but happy for you, thank's for sharing!

S

Nice! how is the vibe? or can you find a empty spot?

B

Man oh Man, MEE Too, Green with Envy, just need a few carvings from'ya and We'd be all set slacker??? :P it's OK tho since you brought us the photos..Looks like you had a great time??

Thanx yous guys! Twas a great time. Yeah Seeks, pretty crowded most places, but no bad vibes! Had some friends there who knew where to go. Can't wait to go back, met some great people there. Benz...SLACKIN'!!!!!!!Will be hard to get any pieces out, with our band starting to kick it in for the summer. Will HAVE to get to SOMETHING though, or the gods won't be pleased!!

C

nice pics, i tought you were going to come back all inspired to carve, but it's the kidnapped by music time again, already? :)

If only I didn't have a 40 hours a week job on top of it!!! I could just carve...and create!!!
I am anxious to get to a new piece...have a couple things I want to carve. I also have a canvas for a painting all ready to go in the corner...but can't get to it.
Played out with the band last weekend both friday and saturday, going in to the work week TIRED!!!!!!
Well, thanks for checkin in....something will come soon.
-Dave

L

On 2010-05-17 16:27, surfintiki wrote:

...something will come soon.

So what??? :roll:

Ha! Well I chipped away a little today...felt SO GOOD! Probably won't post it though, it's a knotted, sappy piece of crap wood I'm just having fun with. I need to get a serious piece of wood soon. Got some bone ideas I'm preppin' for too.
Sorry nothing to gander at here!
Mahalo.

S

dam it i want tiki! eye candy tiki.

the tang looks awesome keep up the good work

Tang is hangin'. WOW! Beautiful work surfin!

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2010-05-25 07:31 ]

Finally got something to show y'all. Yes I've actually been doing something!
Just a little Charcaradon Carcharias...not so sure about the spelling there...but it's a great white, or white pointer, or man in the gray suit.

Aloha

The abalone eye really makes it, and pictured against that rich brown stain of the tiki really sets it off!

S

You boner! where is your wood?
Man this shark looks cool. Love the stub look or 3d thing going on.

Thanks 4wd and seeks. Yeah, this was just a cartoonish thought I had, kinda 3d'ish, in your face thing.
I'll take better pics tomorrow, lost my daylight here.
Shot with room lighting.

Damn Seeks! I just realized I'm a boner! Damn! :)

T

Pretty Sweeeeet!

Thanks Tiki Godzzz
Just some more final pics.

Aloha

Super cool shark...Love the style of it!!

C

Wonderful work Surfintiki. I really love the colors in the eye.
Shape is great. Homerun for Surfintiki.

B

that shark pendant is so cool :D ..how did you set the paua shell into the eye? was it easy?

T

Sweet pendant Surfin. Great design. The inlay on this really pushes it up a notch.

S

love it! Been thinking i need a pendent for when im chilling @ the tiki bog.

T

Way to go! I love the design, and the inlay is perfect!

meheadhntr- Thanx :)
Conga- Thanks my man, I wish I could get up to the plate more often!
Big Andy- Thanx. The Pau is the hard part...very fragile. Lightly sand it down to the shape I want. Carve out a hole in the bone...drop 'er right in. Sounds easy?...IT"S NOT! ha ha. Used different glues, this time I used super glue, because the Pau fit snugly enough in. Other times I use epoxy, and mix in bone dust with it. It sands nice, and fills gaps and makes them less noticeable.
Big T- Keep pushin' the notches higher eh?
SEEKS- ya dude, you do! Gotta have the good mana with you at all times! Get started!
Tiki Mango- Thanks! That means a lot coming from you!! I know I can do better!!!
Need to buy some more tools. I know I'm being stupid not coming down to Hukilau too, and prying info out of you!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1123 replies