Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

LATSA Picturez! Tiki Table!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,123 replies

J

"Can't tell you how many times I've squinted at
my chiseled work and thought "this is never gonna amount to anything" and then..."

Me tooo.

Let it go grey all on its own. Fine job, looks like you sanded for a month.

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2010-01-26 15:28 ]

Smooooove! Nice one going here.

LOVIN THIS MOAI!!!! a vry nice carve w one hellvu sandin job!!! awsome!!! gray snds very cool but anything will be sweeeeetttttt!!!! cheerz!!

That is an amzing Moai. Superb work.

Beautiful

B

Excellent Moai Surfin, love to see all that sanded smooth detail. took 'ya long enuf tho! :P

Thanks y'all.
Conga- I think like that on every piece!
Johnny- one vote for let'n it be!
Mango - Shhhhmooooove! t'anks.
BTS - t'anks man! Still have sanding to go.
Kon H - thank you sir!
Drastic- T'anks!
Benzorrrrrinoo - Thank god for power sanding tools! HA hA. Still got detail stuff around the neck and ears etc, to clean up.
This is just my, standard, basic, blocky, Moai...FOR ME! He's just gonna sit on my computer desk, and stare at me silly.

Mahalo

L

Sanding, sanding and re-sanding... Seems so smooth this one! Hum...I like so much . Your computer desk have well of chance!

J.

looking so good keep up the good work

F

Wicked

Regards
Flynny

Don't EVER think you can remove a coat of poly, and try and stain. Well, ya learn from your mistakes I guess. I put a light, rub-on coat of poly, to go with the raw wood look. Didn't like it, so I tried to sand off the one coat. Then applied a Sedona Red stain...and BLECHHH!! Ruined. I tried sanding the stain off...that'll never work...so, kinda stuck here. Might have to paint a solid?!! Hmmm

Here it is done sanding (notice, the squared off nose)...

After the one coat poly (sanded nose to be rounder)...

It's like lookin' at a kid with zits!...

#@!! #&#@@!!!

B

So,,, Whe you gonna fin ish this guiy Surfin? Huhhh ? Kidding, I know you did already, once, twice, how many times now (Snicker,,,)don't sweat it, just throw something on him like a "Knock-down" type wall finish and he's done.

Again :)
:o

:P

:D :o

T

What a hassle! I was reading on another site about removing a polyurethane finish, they recommended a chemical stripper called "AirCraft Remover" by Kleen Strip. http://www.amazon.com/Aircraft-Remover-Aerosol-KLSAR-322-Category/dp/B000VI13L6

I know you'll salvage this guy.

B
Bowana posted on Sun, Feb 7, 2010 8:08 PM

Bum deal! I did the same thing once to a perfectly good Moai. I ended up just biting the bullet and sanding off the offensive finish down to the bare wood. It took hours of labor, but nothing else was working. The piece came out fine, but yeah, I'll never do THAT again!

Let the rest of us dummies know what you find out and we'll be forever grateful! :)

Bowie

I don't think it looks so bad Surfin. How ya' gonna learn if ya' don't make mistakes? Your carve looks superb. You'll figure out what to do just let it develop, give it a little time.

I guess I'd try using the Minwax 2in1 stuff in a darker color to save it. Love the design BTW.

[ Edited by: Tiki Diablo 2010-02-08 01:39 ]

TD

this may have already been said,. next time, take a piece of the scrap wood, finish sand it, then test stain it.
Not all woods take stain well.

L
laojia posted on Mon, Feb 8, 2010 7:03 AM

On 2010-02-07 12:20, surfintiki wrote:

It's like lookin' at a kid with zits!...

#@!! #&#@@!!!

Ouch! :o Damn! :cry: F**k! :evil: He seems like sunburned under the massachusset winter sun! :o
Always make a test with the stain! You've already the two solution: either find suitable diluent or make darker. It's up to you...

Gives news soon!

J.

BT

I kinda like it. Almost looks like redwood.

Cool, thanks for all the views and comments y'all!
He's sitting there staring at me now, with that Moai type expression, saying "Why the hell did you do that to my face braddah?"
He looks pissed.
Benz: well, apparently he'll NEVER be finished! ok, maybe.
TikiMangggg: Hmmmm, nice! My friend just had to strip some stain out of a guitar body he was finishing...he has some stuff like that.
Bow: Yeah, no kiddin! I'll never do THAT again! HA HA
Jungle T: Thanks for the confidence in me!
Diablo: I think the darker stain would do the same thing. The Polyurethane in the grain seeped to far in, so the stain won't penetrate. Dammit!
David: That would of been a good idea. But how would I learn such a valuable lesson if I didn't screw up? HA HA HAHA
Laojia: You are EXACTLY correct! Sunburned!!! Soon he's gonna develop skin cancer! :lol:
Mahalo

G
GROG posted on Mon, Feb 8, 2010 2:41 PM

Burn him. Sand him. Stain him.

This is what you need to fix the finish...

Thanks Badd Tiki!
Grog, I thought you were gonna say...Burn him, Send him!
Aloha, yeah! How 'bout a Sam Gambino Blue Moai?

Yo, Cuz,,, He'll still come out lookin' beautiful, Bro..

That minwax stain/poly 2in1 kind of just sits on top.

B

Not that bad to me, the carve's simply excellent.
Great stuff.

Benjamin.

Thanks Fred-e-B, I'll eventually get 'em figured out.
Tiki D - yeah, good info!
Ben - Awe shucks, thanx.

Just finished another twist for a commision.

I like it... gives him a little... more... character..:wink:

Out here in Hawaii it's called " Haole Rot"...

B

YaKNOW you can DO IT Surfin, Remember the bone hula lady I colored all up and ruined? If I can fix that you can do this. Get some of those sanding mops like I have posted Somewhere in tools and sand it down, OR bring it down with ya to Huki and I'll show how to do it the Easssy way. Or, send it here and I'll send it back all bare so you can do it again??
Love the bone and gotta say the way you are adding inlays is Off the wall Nice! That highlite where least expected is COOL

Ooooh Benz, whaddya say we go to BEACHBUMZ'S house on Maui, and THEN you can show me how to fix it!!!
Yeah Yeah Yeah

T

I like the moai. I bet you could just layer another color on top to even it all out like tiki diablo says. Gonna come out great!

On 2010-02-10 17:57, surfintiki wrote:
Ooooh Benz, whaddya say we go to BEACHBUMZ'S house on Maui, and THEN you can show me how to fix it!!!
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Sounds good to me... I'll fire up the mai tai's... I could use some schooling... :wink:
Btw that twisted hook is unreal, great job on that one too..

C

Great carve! sorry about the sun burn :), I would keep sanding a little more to make the color lighter, that's all, I think he looks good..

Maui Beach Bumzzz: Thanks again, I might actually be headin to Oahu next month! How's the surf been?
Clarita: His sunburn has peeled! Thanks.

Post sanding, back to normal again.

L

Well done! Is not it a little too "paleface" now?!? :P :lol: :P

J.

surfin tiki!!! awsome twisted pendent !!! and congrats on clearin up that moais skin prob!!!!! he is killer!!! and btw if u and benz is goin to beachbumz in maui and benz is gunna teach u how to fix the moai then i want in on this wrkshop!!!! cheerz !!!

Thanks Laojia! Still working on the next move for him.

Well there ya go Benz!! I think a carve shop in Maui would be the coolest ting ever! EVER! Who wouldn't want to join THAT one!
Count me in. Count Big Scott in. Beachbumzzzz...in.
Serious. I'm always looking for someone to go to Hawaii with!!

L

Well! I leave with you, especially if it is to drink shots under the sun with Da BenZ between two carving session :drink: ... I just gotta win the lottery before! :lol: :wink:

On 2010-02-14 07:26, surfintiki wrote:
Thanks Laojia! Still working on the next move for him.

Well there ya go Benz!! I think a carve shop in Maui would be the coolest ting ever! EVER! Who wouldn't want to join THAT one!
Count me in. Count Big Scott in. Beachbumzzzz...in.
Serious. I'm always looking for someone to go to Hawaii with!!

Ya I'm IN!!! That would be cool.... I've worked here in an open air marketplace for the last 20+ years, for 14yrs we had a tiki carver here and use to watch him carve everyday. His style was more the traditional Tongan ~ Hawaiian style, but still very cool stuff he produced.. I'd really like to see some other carvers carve and get some training...

surfiniki: Surf has been up too, my kidz were in there first contest last weekend and the waves were about 6-7".. My six year old was trippin on them, good fun though.

T

On 2010-02-13 12:00, surfintiki wrote:
Post sanding, back to normal again.

Yeah you cleaned him all up. He looks fantastic! Maybe just some wax now and call him done? :P :P

C

Back to perfect! :)

K

Wow, that's a beauty... you are very good at what you do. :)

Laojia, BigT, Clarita, Kahaka: ... mahalo, mahalo, mahalo!!
Beachbumz, I think Benz's ignoring THAT one!! Oh well, we'll have to bribe him.

Final shots of the Maoi, and a little progress on a Tangaroan mask.

Aloha

Wow! That's a real dandy there, beautiful.

LT

Sure is pretty!

Really nice Moai! Looks great with that background. Where did you get that back ground? What artist?

A
amate posted on Mon, Feb 22, 2010 3:57 PM

Nice recovery on the Moai. He is just about perfect but the glamour photo put him over the top.

Thanks Conga and LOL! :)
Tiki-lzrd- Thanks, that's a Rietveld print, I loved his stuff since the 80's. Check him out...
http://www.rietveldart.com/stormsurf.html
Thanks Amate, that's an over the top compliment! :wink:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1123 replies