Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

LATSA Picturez! Tiki Table!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,123 replies

Hi surfintiki i love number 6. keep up the excellent work

great job on all... dang, you're good!

B

Nice tikis Surfintiki. Been waiting for you to come out with more! Don't wait so long this time. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks everybody! I'm starting to think about what stain to use on the birch Reloy when I'm done. Any suggestions?
Also should I even stain a mahogany??

[ Edited by: surfintiki 2005-09-23 21:07 ]

Well, it's official...not going to Hukilau. Won't even bother explaining why, just won't be there. No tropical feasts, no mai-tai's at the Mai-kai, and especially, no meeting all you guys and seeing the amazing art. No surfing in tropical water, it's ok I'll be here in my 4/3 rubber, soon to be hood & mitts too. May Lono send you big carribean Huki-swells for Tiki G, Lake, SCtiki, Chongolio, Tony and the rest.
Just shoot me.
oh-yeah, any advice on stains (see above photos)

TG

Awww dude! Sorry bout' this. Hope things are alright. Well there is always next year...... We'll miss meeting you and catching a couple with ya too.

Full report though when we get back.

G.

Oh yeah, I'll leave the stain question up to the experts.

[ Edited by: Tiki G. 2005-09-30 07:34 ]

B

Man I sure am gonna miss seeing you and your stuff at Huki. Just pretend you can't come and come on down anyway.. Hope all's OK up there in the Frozen country.
As far ass stain on a mahogany piece, I wouldn't stain it unless with Mahogany stain. That is of course unless you need a particualr color for a decorating issue. Mahogany will stain Nice and evenly. Mahog is probably the World Standard in "woodworkers" wood. It already has nice color but if you want it darker, just use dark mahogany stain and it will be Nice.
Rethink the Hukilau. Ofcourse Next year is the one NOT to Miss since it is the MaiKai's 50th year anniversary. Gotta be there for that one.

YES! 50th anniversary. That's got me psyched n' cheered up!

4 hours of sanding today, oooh boy, don't ya love it!
I started this guy WAY back in may, and he's just about getting there, a little sanding, and stain, hmmmm what stain; dark? Light? What do you guys think?
Anyway, this is birch, and all I gotta say, is I LOVE IT! Birch is soooo nice to work with, we'll see how it takes a stain though.
I logged on a sheet all my time workin on this guy, so far at 14 hours, and of all the things (de-barking, chainsaw, chisel, dremel, drawing, sanding) more time was spent sanding than any one thing! God I hate sanding. Although, that is when you're almost done, and you're psyched.

[ Edited by: surfintiki 2008-11-08 17:28 ]

H
hewey posted on Mon, Oct 17, 2005 2:34 PM

Cool tiki. Yeh sandin is a bitch, but that thing is so sweet and smooth, it was worth it (especially since it wasnt me sanding :) ).

That is one smooth and cool carving. Cant wait to see it done.

looking good surfintiki....he's gonna be a nice one>

SurfinTiki-
Wow, great job you did there. I can't wait to see how it is finished. Are you using a satin or gloss varnish?
Wesley

M

Nice Reloy you got there Surfin! Stain him up and post. Sweetness.

B

Welcome back Surfintiki, and with a Super Leroy to boot. Boy, don't we All love to bitch about sanding( Except for those of us who have a live in Sander, not naming names Gary.). It is truely the dirty end of the glamoros job of sculpture. Of course If we were to use more chisels and gouges, there would be Much less need for sanding and grinding, because those tools leave such a nicely finish.
Anyway, NICE Tiki.

Thanks for all the props, we are all in agreement...sanding bites!
Benz-I am aware of those that can get that perfect edge from their chisels, and I am forever trying to master that! I am in awe of those tikis I see, where you can tell, that's what they did. Oh well, I keep trying.
I'm out of stain, gotta buy some...still don't know whether to go light, or dark. Still waiting for any suggestions...?? :)
Moondance-don't know yet, I'm out of that too!

Surfintiki, your Reloy looks great. It's super clean with very sharp tight lines for all of the sanding. I'm thinking with all of the ultra-sanding, how would your's look with just a straight varnish or poly finish, no stain? Only you can decide. I'm thinking stain or no stain, light or dark - it's gonna look excellent either way. Way to go, perfect carving.

A-A

Thanks AA, that means a lot, coming from the technical master! I'm heavily leaning towards the natural look, no stain.

Well, here she is..
finish the sanding...YEAH!!

3 coats of semi-gloss

[

s U r F i N t i k i

[ Edited by: surfintiki 2008-11-08 17:30 ]

[ Edited by: surfintiki 2008-11-08 17:33 ]

Very, very nice surfintiki!
I love the natural finish also.
Wes

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 24, 2005 5:35 PM

ST,

That is awesome! The smooth lines are complimented by the thorough sanding job and clear finish. A very slick tiki with lots of style. Excellent job!

-Gman

Great work.

Excellent finish! I remember receiving some advice on not staining my own Reloy that, at the time, I wish I had taken (thx, bro). There's something about that pic of ol' Leroy standing there with the chainsaw with this huge tiki that just says something about tiki carving. Nice choice and I'm sure there are a few more tiki classics up your sleeves. Can't wait to see them!

Later,

Aaron

Thanks for the replies!
Moondance-Natural was the way to go for this Birch wood for sure.

Gman-I'm glad you think my sanding was thorough!!

Pappy- Thanks!

AA- Thanks. I'm glad I chose the natural, it was a hard choice, I even bought some new stains, but didn't use 'em. But once I put on the first bit of poly, I knew I made the right choice.
Leroy is the MAN. The originator of our reloy! I can't stop loving that monster tiki. Someday I can only hope to come up with as clever a design.
I think I'm slated for a Marq next.
Mahalo

Sweet job, Surfin'.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Oct 26, 2005 3:15 PM

ST,

Yes, very thorough indeed!

B

Awesome reloy Surfintiki. You defenitely have the smoothe finish down pat. Many peeps do Not know the pain and hard work that it takes to get that finish so perfectly done like you did it.
Congrats, can't wait to see the next one peeled away.

Great tiki! Love that finish!

B

Very Nice! Do I also spy a Tiki-o-Lantern?

H
hewey posted on Wed, Oct 26, 2005 9:34 PM

Dude that is killer. The lines are so smooth and tasty, and the clear just shows off the grain in the wood. Sweet. I especially love the grain in the mouth.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Oct 28, 2005 2:58 PM

ST,

I keep coming back to see this tiki. I love it! What's next on your list?

-Gman

Thanks Swampfire, hewey, raffer & gman.
Badmojo: it's now the tiki o' mold pumpkin!
Benz: I appreciate your appreciation of sanding! Thanks for all your tips.
I got a short, fat marq on the table now. It's maple, which I've never tried before. Hope it's as nice as the birch was.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 30, 2005 6:33 PM

And the pictures of that marq are where??????

-Gman

[ Edited by: GMAN 2005-10-30 19:19 ]

Super nice finish. Cool!

( kinda looks like the grain of bamBoo!)

Clean, precise work...cool.

Man! Those are some beautiful lines and finish on that guy....Great stuff!!

On to the next. This little, fat piece of wood was staring at me, "turn me into a tiki! Turn me into a tiki!"

Great start this one and nice finish in the previous. i am really into the shorter/fater tiki look now infact I stopped and picked up 6 18"tall by 14" wide. I really want to see how you work your magic on this one.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Nov 9, 2005 3:23 PM

Hes a cute little fella. Cant wait to see him all carved up and, yep, fully sanded :)

B

I love it when the logs start talking to you. This one is turning out very nicely.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 10, 2005 4:58 PM

Hearing talking logs is a clear symptom of tiki-itis. There is not known cure. The best way to combat tiki-itis symptoms is to purchase new tools and continue producing first rate tikis. It is clear that you are following the doctor's advice. Great job so far, he looks real neat.

-Gman

Palm city tiki: I can't wait to see the magic too!
Hewey: Sanded? Aaaaaaaah crap. ok, sanded.
Benz: When I start to have conversations with them, then I worry.

Yo G!: I know I got Tiki-sinusitus. All the sanding makes magical things appear in my nose. I think I'll like tiki-itus. I like all tiki related ailments.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 10, 2005 6:28 PM

I hear ya. I'm taking a brief carving break to chase wild hogs here on my hunting property (they tear the place all to heck) but I'll be back feeding my tiki adiction soon. I hope to see some wicked progress shots of this bugger over the weekend. Back attcha on Monday! Have a great time...this one looks especially fun.

-Gman

After a lovely wood chip to the eye (have 3 pair of goggles, none of them were on my FACE!) A little more progress on mini-marq.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 17, 2005 2:59 PM

ST,

Dude, that's tight! Looks real good. He looks quite content. How big is he? Any ideas of what type of finish you'll be using?

Glad your eye is ok. You need to wear those glasses! I wear glasses and a face screen when I use the saw. They have saved my eyes/face 100 times over.

-Gman

I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it looks to be as though he is turning his head. That is extremely cool in my book. i have been sketching a few that were doing just that. I think it looks as thou they are living, or have potential to do so. Very nice indeed.

B

It's those big eyes, PalmCity, when he saw the GMAN, get it in the eye, he turned his head and now will have to be that way for the rest of his life. He definitely has a bit of a personality going there. Overall, just a really nice, comfortable looking carving. What is he, about 10" by 20" high?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1123 replies