Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

LATSA Picturez! Tiki Table!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,123 replies

H

On 2006-09-29 15:36, surfintiki wrote:

Well, I just stained 'em, and woooo I'm stoked! There is no feeling in the world, like those last steps in making this tiki come to life. I'll be postin' new pics soon.

Amazing work!!

Are the new pics ready yet?

How about now?

Now?

Now, that's TIGHT, man. You nailed this form. Does proper justice to the great craftsmen of the Cook Islands. You have the sense of aesthetic it takes to do this well. I'd proudly trade carvings with you.

B

Yes, you got it down Right and Boy does he look great. Nice finishing sanding job and the painted detail will add Super character. Way to GO!

Wow, wow, wow!!! I want to see him stained and finished, I want to see that grain pop and come to life! I sooo impressed.

Thanks one n' all for looking...it means a lot!
1st the stain...

1 coat of poly...

2 different stains, red Sedonna and red Mahogany.
Gotta go, will put a few more pics up later.

Beautiful! Very clean form & professional looking finish. Great stuff! TTT

P

wow, that's really nice surf. what kind of wood is it? i would put that baby on my desk at work and bug all the women. hell, if they can have a crucifix i should be able to have that. yay! the fishing is wonderful!!

That's a beauty!

Really nice work surfin! So clean and crisp!
A milestone in your work!

He looks great on the nose of the T&C too!

awesome work its a credit to you keep up the good work

C

wonderful wonderful

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 1, 2006 7:06 AM

Surfin',

Oh man. Oh Man! I REALLY like the little guy. The finish is great! The oil paint accents really add to the overall beauty of the piece. I'm glad you decided to post him and share with us. Top notch work my man. Do you have any thoughts about your next project? Good to have you back around here :)

-Gman

M
McTiki posted on Sun, Oct 1, 2006 8:19 AM

Awesome Tang. Detail is perfection sir.

Allllllrighty then. All done. Many thanks to all of you again! No need for any buttery comments, I'm all choked up as it is!
Finkdaddy: I assumed all our tikis come to life!
Benz: I like buttery comments, keep up the good work!
BK: I bet T. M. Tavioni would still call me a crazy gringo.
Tamapoutini: I like buttery comments, keep up the good work.
PDrake: tis basswood. I'd think this Tanga would chase after the women in your office.
Lake: Thanks bro, here's to many more milestones. Got a new board for ya to look at.
Marcus: ahhh mate, thanks again (I like buttery comments, keep up the good work!)
Conga: Thanks!
G: I have thoughts on MANY new projects. One at a time for me though.
McTiki: Thannnnnnk-you Sir!

Some more final photos...

Hangin' ten...uhhh, I mean 11

Also, you might notice, after I stained him, I decided to take off the detail painting on his belly-button. Worked out ok, just sanded it off, re-stained. It looks simpler now, I like it much better.
The way I did the stain, was the red Sedonna was first with 1 coat, and a 2nd application in certain areas. Then for all the recesses, like the face markings, folds, under arms, etc, I used the darker, more chocolatey Red Mahogany stain.
So far just one coat of poly, might do another to make it tougher against jumps off the desk he might take.

Hey there, ST! Sent you a PM..This tang looks great! My Maori Moai needs another companion..Maholla Back.

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Oct 1, 2006 3:15 PM

It's a little beauty alright, and looks nicer than a lot of the ones I saw in the shops in Rarotonga. I assume you're talking about Mike Tavioni above...did you go over there and meet him? I tried about 3 times to catch up with him but always just missed out. I did see plenty of his work though...

J

Perfection.

M
McTiki posted on Sun, Oct 1, 2006 4:39 PM

Superb!!!

I'd be damned proud.

So simple and yet so refined. The finish is spectacular.

Mahalo

McTiki

B

He's Hangin' allright and looking Fantastic. I can't believe how well the finish came out and your carving skills are definitelyon the Other side of Excellent. Whats next, I can't wait.

surfintiki, really really nice. very clean and the stain really showsthe,uh....the detail...lol

Amy

Surfintiki, that is a really clean sleek piece! Great styling and the lines flow so nicely from the side view. Excellent take on a classic style, my friend! That's a keeper!

man, that dude is so smooth and sophisticated! beautiful work!

Thanks McTiki, King (tiedye) & Queen (K), JP, Paipo(haven't met Mike Tavioni...yet!)
Thanks AA, Good to hear from ya again, shouldn't you be headin' to Hukilau?
Thanks again Freddie B. ...we'll be in touch soon I'm sure.
Benz- well, another year I miss Hukilau...no meetin' the Benz. :(
Too far, too little $...and to think I used to live in Lauderdale! I went to the Art Institute of Ft. Lauderdale, back when it was located right on the strip! Have a drink for me down there under the palms! :drink:
Aloha all!

Had a lovely piece of Butternut I had to use up. And until I come up with a place to carve bigger ones, I can carve some smaller guys. Just gettin underway on, anOTHer Tangaroan. I just love these.

Here's after using the angle grinder with a freestyle blade on it.

And a little finessing with some new tools from Christmas.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Feb 1, 2007 2:22 PM

Rokkin'!!! Sweet stuff Surfin'....I was wondering what you were up to...

-Gman

C

Good stuff Surfintiki, I really like the natural look of butternut. Looking forward
to more pics of this one.

T

On 2006-10-01 08:19, McTiki wrote:
Awesome Tang. Detail is perfection sir.

Yeah, I gotta agree. Did I miss it? What's the inlay? Very nice detail.

Lookin' great, ST!! Drop me that line when he's finished.

TD

looks great. its gonna be a real piece when its done. cant wait to see updates. keep it comming

wow- nice work. you've got that guy down.

J

I've tried these A couple times and they are harder than they look. You did a great job so far. I'm glad you fianlly showed us something.

JP

A little more overall shaping, before the detailing sets in.

M

You should be proud of this one! He looks fantastic!

Mahalo

McTiki

Looks like another perfect Tang on the way, SnT. How is that Butternut anyway?

B

WOW

The shape, the grain, the curves, looks like a perfect one.

Benjamin.

Lookin' great!

J

That is as smooth as a babies bottom. Even if you didn't go any further he looks finished. Gunna follow this one.

JP

B

Nice style on your Tangaroa, surfintiki! You are not going to have any trouble carving your Lono. Looking forward to seeing it.

Thanks for looking tiki peeps!
Tikidav-thanks, your Moai's shape is perfect, love the look of that one too. I think we have the same eye for design!
Johnnyp- some baby's bottoms are poopie!
AA- carves too easy, I feel like a slacker! This piece is VERY dry, some detailed parts wanna just flop right off.
Anyway, here's the weekends latest offerings...

Thanks for peepin'!

B

I can see now the finish on this guy will be Awesome. You have already spent much time sanding.

M

Ahhhh geez, still tinkering with the already perfect carve. Just whip some finish on him and send him here dammit!

Nice nice

Mahalo

McTiki

H

congratulation surfintiki, the little fellow is woderful. Very clean and original!
Hats off! Haikai

Lookin great, ST!!! My Maori Moai is gettin pretty stoked to have one of his brothas around!

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Feb 19, 2007 2:25 PM

What a little beauty...great proportions, smooth finish and loads of character. I want one!

I know, I know...seems like I take forevvvvvver. I'm not stewing over it at all, it's that I have very little time to carve these days. So a little here, a little there.
Thanks for the praise peeps!
Benz- I'm a sanding fool. I wish I would stop it.
McTiki- I know I know! You'll have to hide my sanding paper.
Haikai and Paipo- Cool, Thanks!
Frrrrreddie B- you a funny guy! He's gonna be in good hands.

Here's after applying some art with white gesso.

Here's after first coat of stain, sedona red, blotched quickly with a rag.

And after I applied a darker stain to the the face and other creases etc.

Next; some poly and some final photos. And a brew-ha-ha

Enjoy the brew; you derserve it after a good job well done! The painted details look great.

Tama :)

M

Most Excellent and doobious work sir!

Mahaloz

McTiki

B

YES!. Another excellent piece . I really love the Jesso application Before the stainiing. Well done.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1123 replies