Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

LATSA Picturez! Tiki Table!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,123 replies

S

Cool. They look great.

My week of surf turned into a fishing trip the waves sucked!
still had Good time.

H

I seem to stray away from glossy but I think the finish job on the right looks better, maybe 'richer' in color, but they don't appear to be very glossy to me--could just be the pix. Great job on both though--fantastico!

Seems you haven't been active on TC for the last few days (6 days ago)--maybe having something to do with a gal named Bertha? Hope you're getting some sweetness from B. We've been lovin' some head high + for days now on FB.

Here's Folly on Sat. Been tapering off a bit since then but still niiiiiiiice!

(not me in the pic--just snapped before I went out for some enjoyment)

OH MY GOD...Howlin' and seeks
I am so SORRY for not being around, but duty calls! 8 days straight...surfin every day. I'm so sore, my back is mangled, and I'm growing webs between my fingers (again) and gills. Ground swell for this long! In July! It just won't go away. Chest to Head, with overhead sets...everyday! Gonna last through the weekend too. I'm getting nothing done. Work, surf, drink a beer, sleep...repeat.
Sorry no photos, I'm surfing every moment til dark.
That Folly bch shot looks similar, just look at the sets stackin up out back.
C-ya when I can!

S

Right On surfin! Getting some water time myself Sat, Sun hopefully
i will be back at it again next weekend.

Hey Seeks...carvin' and surfin'...the life!!
Sorry waves didn't come on for ya on your vacation...I don't think the gods will give you any waves til you finish the Lono!
Anyway here's a little guy I started from a piece of Palo Escrito, Benz gave me. Local Florda wood he's been ravin' about. Real nice so far.
This is a copy of a New Zealand bone design I really liked, and had to make one for myself, 'cept, out of wood!

S

Looking good surfin love the grain on this wood.

Thanks Seeks...How's the surf this weekend?
Latest progress photos...

Looks Sweet!

B

Surfin', this guy is really turning out great. I Love the lines and the flow is perfect. Can't wait to see this one done.
Whats next?

B

very nice.

Benjamin.

S

Yes this whale is cool.

Did i mention there is a dead whale buy the tiki bog.
Ill post a pic when i get home tonight.

S

I end up in Portland, OR last weekend Long story.

I should be back at the coast this coming one with some luck.

S

OK the whale not the best shot.

This guy is getting really stinky!

B

Welll? Did you get a stinky Whale rib to carve? I can smell it from here and THANKS, I Just ate dinner!

S

Im working on the bones Benz. I walked down there
a couple weekends ago with a backpack to put the bones
in but the stink was overwelming. My freind Geoff threw up!

*go for the jawbone if possible, its usually the densest and least porous material! If it was in NZ it'd be a boneless fillet by now.. :lol:

wow Seeks - get down there with gas mask on right now!! :D

Tama is right - carvers would have taken the bone before it got stinky lol.

We dont get many stranded whales around here - too far inland. :lol:

KS

YEAH SEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
since you posted that smelly whale on my thread...you have to send me a piece of bone!!! HAHA!!!! :lol:

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 30, 2008 7:57 PM

Just get to the dead whale before these guys :lol: :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFwxH3PPWiU&feature=related

The carving is great, great lines as Ben said, and I love the 3Dness of it :D

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jul 31, 2008 10:14 AM

Seeks,

Think before you take any piece of that beast. Write me an email to discuss.

-g

S

GMAN is right the whale bones appear to be a off-limits.

I am liking the whale carving, alot!! I wonder why??? I don't like the dead whale though. I wonder why??? Keep up the excellent work!!

New one with some local red cedar. A Mang Lee Maori design.

It's got some great color, but a lot of knots with strange grain directions. The knots break apart in big chunks, gotta have REAL sharp tools for these areas.

S

Nice ! love the little fella thus far and the wood
grain is looking cool.

C

Nice wood! and great start, can't wait to see more progress!

Damn Surfin, I've missed your thread!! I really like your whale pendant and can't wait to see more progress on this new guy. Looking good so far!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Aug 7, 2008 4:50 AM

Ohhhhhhhh! What do we have here? Gman likee! Let's see some more shotz?

B

yes, Benzart likee too, lemee see more too.
HOWEVER!! Look at that safety guard on the lancelot thingie and make sure it is in the Manufacturer recommended spot or setting, otherwise that chain becomes a Meat cutter instead of a wood cutter!!

Hey y'all! Well I had to slam this one out, was drying too quickly and cracking, and parts falling off etc. So I rushed to get 'er done and put a thick coat of poly on it, to seal what moisture's left in it.
First a final photo of the Moai's with their base's attached.

SEEKS: Yeah me loves red cedar, now if I could only find a GOOD piece of one!
CLARITA: Thanks, and here ya go...
TIKI F1: Cool man, thanks!
GMANG: Watsuppp bradda?! Wellll started out lookin ok, now... na-so-much. Could of been better. I can only hope to do something detailed and intense like you Maori's, when I can get a good piece of log! No knots, no sap, no bugs...rot etc etc. I have 2 more pieces of the same red cedar to work on. They are less knotty. I tried the worst first, and kept a simple design. Now I know what I'm in for on the other pieces.
BENZO: C'mon Benz that's not a LANCELOT! It's an Arbortech woodworker...I love it...
http://arbortech.com.au/view/woodworking-information/pro-4_woodcarver_20070412135206
Yeah, and I know...what's next?
Before the toe fell off...

Repaired (right toe(looking at photo))

[ Edited by: surfintiki 2008-08-10 07:42 ]

T

Sweet! Luv the stylized look!!

What a great sunday, another cool carving to drool over. I really like the
Mang Lee carvings (at least the few that I've seen) and you did a really
nice job on this one. Inspiring stuff, think I'll go make some chips of my
own.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Aug 10, 2008 12:45 PM

That is beautiful, Surfin. Not all cedar is sappy, chippy, cracky, and full of bugz, but most of mine is :( . This guy is really sharp. I can't wait to see what you are able to do with the next chunk. Bring it on!

B

Nice one Surf, Your smoothe finishes seem to be one of your great trademarks, Nice work.
Yeah, Arborbrat, text whatever, just mind the position of the guard and don't change it. Get a router speed control to slow it down and you'll be able to do Much more with it too but just as Dangerously. Don't get the CHEEP ONE, get the heavy duty one for NO torque loss too.
This also makes sanding and grinding more leasurable,, More control and less burning of the discs! Win Win!

B

WOW,

I love this one. The thing you put on it makes the grain looks perfect. So... What did you put on ? :lol:

Benjamin.

Nice carvings surfintiki!!!Aloha Mooney

Thanks BigT n' Conga, let those chips fly!
G-Gonna let the other cedar logs dry a little longer.
Benz- YES! Finally something resembling a style! Smooth look. Lets see if I can keep true to it.
Benella-Thanks. This cedar wasn't ripe yet, started cracking, so I put an extra heavy coat of "Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane" on it, to seal it up. This wood had good grain to start, but the spar definitely added more clarity to it.
Mooney-Wazzz up bro! Thanks. We had good Longboard surf this weekend, head high sets...but already flat now.

Just wanna tell everyone who hasn't read Aku Aku yet. GO READ IT! Wow, what a book. Imagine an island where everyone is a carver. Awesome. That is now my favorite read, ever!
Now reading Michener's HAWAII. Good so far!

Aloha :drink:

Well, I finally have some tools and time, to start something. So I thought I'd play around for the 1st time on some stone stuff.

Surfin, that hook is awesome! I wouldn't be able to tell it was your first one.

On 2008-08-31 10:52, surfintiki wrote:
Well, I finally have some tools and time, to start something. So I thought I'd play around for the 1st time on some stone stuff.

play around? tools? stone stuff?? 1st time??!! Damn, we were held back from making matau/hooks for about 4 months at jade skool!!!

Looks as though youve got a nice set up in the sun and all is going well! (a larger water reservoir will limit the trips back and forth to the hosepipe)

Hows the raisin fingers?

Go SurfinT!! :)

On 2008-08-31 10:52, surfintiki wrote:

Choice hei-matau there SurfinT , first one eh , top work indeed.
What stone is it ?

B

Very nice.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Aug 31, 2008 1:43 PM

Damng Surfin', you got all up in that stone didn't ya? Impressive grinds. You know stoners get hard time in MA, right? Watch your back for the 5-O.....

-G

B

Well Surfin' it IS About time, you've been putting this off and Putting it OFF hoping we would forget and go away but the jade kept gnawin' at your soul, "Carve ME, ME Next, Carve ME Pssst, hey YOU, Some carving action down here, C'Mon..." And Finally you had to do it.
Too bad, that is SO Ugly you should have not done it, SO BAd you need to send it to someone who can Fix it like ME, ME, send it here and I'll make it purdy for you.:P :D :P As it is it doesn't qualify for a first piece, maybe a 9th or 10th :) but not a first.
I guess I was wrong, darn now I'll Never get one!.
Just how well DO you know This Louie the fish guy, have you been a pupil of his for awhile? You did that fast, just like his you-tube deal.

All joking aside this hook is probably the BEST "First time Jade piece" Ever by Anyone, at least if it finishes up as well as it has started, and I see no reason to think otherwise. Big thumbs UP.

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-08-31 19:08 ]

Well dang, thanks folks! :)
Carving stone IS an interesting thang. It's fun how the grinding, at the right angle, shoots a steady, straight stream of water and sludge directly to the face. It's like those waterpicks, I used to use as a kid for brushing my teeth! Classic.
But, GOD, what fun. It's a LONG road of learning ahead. And hats off to you guys who are soooo good at it...you know who you are.
At a couple points, I was like "screw this, I'm carving wood!" But this just too much fun, no matter how it turns out.

1. A grinding wheel will help
  2. Better water flow system
  3. Little wiper blades for my glasses
  4. Less whining
  5. Someday-better tools

TF- thanks, I'm glad you think it's good for a first.
TTT- Yup, with the water. No prob with the fingas, but not a fan of the needles n pins from the dremel.
Toataiaha- (spell that right?!) Thanks, it was supposedly Jade, but cheap and off ebay, so anyone's guess.
Benella of Europe!- Thanks
Gmang-Ahhhhh half the cops are stoners.
Benzzzzzzrt- You....are...classic. Who loves ya babe. The jade IS talking to me, but all that is going on, is me yelling at the tools!!! Ha ha
Thanks everyone!

On 2008-08-31 16:38, surfintiki wrote:
Yup, with the water. No prob with the fingas, but not a fan of the needles n pins from the dremel

In the case of some power tools , chainsaws for instance , this is called 'white finger',
it may pay to look into it

P

That is looking GREAT for a first attempt...can we have a backlit shot of the translucency? Looks like you've got your setup working nicely if the results are anything to go by. I still use my dremel, but I can only handle a couple of hours at a time, especially using the 6mm burrs.

I just have to second all that - looking GREAT!!

Congrats on your first attempt . . . impressive!

KS

D

Hey Surfintiki since i saw your work i want to ask you-Have you ever tough to make a "Moai Kava-Kava"? it looks like this-

It will be very cool if you could do it in your own style
P.S. Click the photos for more detail

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1123 replies