Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

LATSA Picturez! Tiki Table!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,123 replies

You are the Jimi Hendrix of Carvers. Did it with your teeth. Maybe you should have saved it.
OH, so you will put it up for bid in Marketplace?

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2008-06-17 07:43 ]

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jun 17, 2008 8:26 AM

Tight! That's right there with the hotdog tiki......

S

NICE ! Pizza shape is funny.

Benz looks like he needs another drink?

Looks like a good time I'm jealous.

B

Benz Does need a drink, I was laffing so hard I cried. he was funny back then. What he had not seen was the remains of a cockroach left on the pizza: a leg and a wing. (Well they say it tastes like chicken!)

Sorry guys, I left it in the room, as a tip for the maids! :lol:
Yeah Benz that stuff has a lot of protein!
Barf

A few pics of the Mahogany. Stuff carves GREAT, but a little stringy. Not sure how intricate I can get into it.

Aloha for peepin'

Hellz yeah!!! Good thing you had your pizza as a reference. Looks awesome!!

B

Hey man, I Kinda liked them Pizza Moai just a bit better since they tasted a Whole lots better that meant that they were better to do and easier to clean up. I'm just waiting for the next pizza one to be done and Oh btw could we order some extra cheese and double anchovies on this one??♦♠

LOOKing Good surfin, did the man set you up with the MAHOGANY?

You'll never guess what I had for dinner tonight. Mmmmmmm, I tried a Marquesan, didn't work out, so I ate 'em.
You got it Seeks...Mahohany from Benzzzzz. Hmmm, alos got....Pecan, Palo Escrito, Koa, Cedar, Cherry, etc etc etc....jeeez, ya shoulda come on down dude!
Did some sanding tonight, nothing major.

More Moai action.

:drink:

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jun 21, 2008 4:34 PM

Great looking work Surfin. I see a little BenZart in there. The man has a special way about him doesn't he? Thanks or sharing. Mmmmmm Moai pizza.....

B

WOW Surfin, That Pizza Looks great, How did you get all the colors SO Real looking?
The Moai looks great too, Nice flowing lines. Glad to see you working that stuff already!

Thanx G & BZ. I'm just so happy to have some good woods to work with.
Just some progress shots...working on different moko designs...I could play with designs for DAYS!
WAY too fun.
Ya like that Pizza Benz? THATS a work of art.

S

Hell yes! those sucker look great!

B

DAYUM Surfin, What a Pair! Excellent looking "Bobsy Twins" you have created and I'm Really loving the Moko Treatment you are giving them, Did those Moai have those things? I thought it was someone else,Hmmm ..They look nice and well fed, must be the Pizza poor dudes. Now they'll be wanting a Domino's on Rapanui next to the tattoo hut! :lol:

B

Too Funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

S

Nice surfin, Capitalism is everywhere!

Twin moko-Moai's! Well, I was gonna leave one un-tattooed, but figured it was good practice for me.
They're gettin there.

S

Very nice they look good enough to eat.

I have a 7 day surf trip next weekend cant stand the wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA8uEyyrBpY

Its a cool little fishing Indian village on the Olympic Peninsula.

Nice mokos on those two guys, seeks!
Maybe I missed it, but what are you using to do those lines, a chisel, or some dremel-type tool?

Enjoy the waves on your trip!

awesome surfin tiki!

Thanks Seeks, check your p.m.
4wd...thanks this is a benzart special...wood he gave me, a design he originated, and the hook knife he begs everyone to use! by the way, I'm not seeks.
Thanks tiki-thomas-08, thanks for peepin.

I just stained 'em, need to get some pics up.
Hey, what do you peeps suggest for aftercoating these guys, just curious what different routes everyone goes with, AFTER you stain.
Oil, varnish, poly, dipped in Guano, what?

Sweet Moais Surfin'!!!! I use Watco rejuvenating oil after I stain, GMAN got me to use it and I know he does too. Try it you will love it and you can apply it when needed, actually more the better!!!

[ Edited by: tikifreak1 2008-07-01 18:18 ]

S

Dave Id try the oil scence its going to be inside all the time.

On 2008-07-01 17:33, surfintiki wrote:
by the way, I'm not seeks.

oops, I knew that! :oops:
Sorry surfin.

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Jul 1, 2008 9:17 PM

Those are some nice Ben Davis inspired Moai heads.

I like the Hand-rub Poly. It has the look of oil with the protective nature of Polyurethane. Looking Good.

Aloha, I tried the hand rub poly, me like it...not so much. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it looks pretty similar to the regular poly. I do like it for the UV protection and whatnot though.
4WD...I knew ya knew.
TikiT.08...thanks so much!
TikiFreak and Seeks, ya, I'm gonna get some...Gman told me about it a while ago, just haven't gotten to the store to get some.
TeaKEY, I never did know Bens' last name!

S

You have 2 right hand rub 1 oil second if
you haven't already? Then show us and tell us what you
think? ( just a thought)

( surf here i come next week Wee)

B

Hey Surfin, Nice job on the Moai Twins, you make me proud. The trick with the hand rub stuff is to use a minimally wet cloth, the drier the better, you should be putting on a very fine film and when it dries, a quick buff with the green scouring pad , brush off the dust and do it again. After you have done that 5 or 6 times it will start looking Sweet, but Not until you have several coats. It just takes very little.
I know,, too much work, but you have a couple nice pioeces done in nice wood and they deserve a Nice finish!
Well done.
Oh yeah, my last name is Zart. Benzart :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here ya go mr. Eeks, and mr. Zart,,,
After the stain...

:drink:

B

YES! They Both look Great, excellent job. What's next?

S

Nice distinguished looking fellas there.

C

Cool pieces Surfintiki! You did a great job with the chizzlin'
and the finish.

Wow! The stain came out really nice and awesome blending of culture. The facial art matches the heads without being over whelming. Would be proud to display them as a center piece. Great work.

they look radddd stained, good job!!

Thanks TikiLizard, TikiT08, Seeks, Benz, Conga.
Benz...what's next? My new avante-garde Moai of course! Bearing some resemblance to the artist.

HAPPY July 4th!

Like Seeksurf suggested, a comparison of finishes. Formby's Tung Oil on left, and Minwax wipe-on poly on right, both after a single application.
Not much difference, eh? Slightly glossier on the right.

Nice job Surfin', those look great!!

Thanks TikiFriki! I couldn't find the Watco at my local hardware, so I used the Formsby. I'm gonna look for it at Home depot when I get the chance.

Yeah Home Depot should have it, that's where I have gotten mine (in the stain section) or a woodcraft store if you have one by you?? They still turned out great!

Beautiful, my Brotha!!

B
Bowana posted on Tue, Jul 8, 2008 9:47 PM

Cool looking Moais, surfintiki! I've used Watco before too and have been happy with the results. Find some yet?

PS Put a string on that Chicken Nugget Moai and wear it around your neck! :)

So after doing the comparison - which one do you like better?

J

A nice set of twins, it is amazing how two things that look so much alike have such different personalitys and features. So I'm with Aloha, which finish do you like better? You may have said, but what type of wood is that? I don't see a lot of grain features.

The pizza and nuget carvings made me hungry.

I'm gonna take one of these chicken Moai's and glass 'em up in surfboard resin, make it a neck pendant, and put in tiki marketplace.
Who's buyin?
Alohahaha, I think I like the one on the right, the rub-on minwax... it kind of made a richer color of the wood, brought out the reds..,.although it's a little shinier. I think certain pieces would require certain finishes. I gotta still try out the Watco.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1123 replies