Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

LATSA Picturez! Tiki Table!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,123 replies

S

Nice finish, the stain really brought all the lines out big time
and the skull contrast looks great.

B

Surfin', he looks great all colored and finished up, Excellent job. I Love the fact that you didn't think this guy was one of your best and yet you didn't slack in the final finishing of him and nreally turned out a great piece. Thats a great lesson for All of us. 4 stars today grasshopper! and go to the head of the class for today!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

H
hewey posted on Wed, Apr 2, 2008 7:17 PM

I really like it :D

I reckon its good to do some fun quickey tikis - keeps you fresh and inspired, because you're not getting bogged down in hours of sanding.

B

I love it. Really !

Benjamin.

T

Send that sad, sad, tiki down here to Texas. We will cheer him up. :D

H
harro posted on Thu, Apr 3, 2008 2:47 PM

i reckon it looks cool! is there a reason for the lighter stained area on the chest above the skull?

Thanks all!!
Conga-Thanks, He's actually 50' high! Really! Harrr-har
TF- You are correct sir! I kinda like doing that, kinda makes it look a little weathered.
seekn-I think the dam skull is the only thing I like!
Benzy-WOOO, head of class! Wooo! I got some of the rub-on minwax poly you suggested, and started applying tonight. 'Bout time to go down and sand n' coat again!
Hewey-you're sooooo right. I kinda learned, if ya want a grainy, old-lookin', outdoor variety tiki...DONT WASTE TIME SANDING!!!!
Benella-thanx! Really!
Texas T- He's not lookin so sad anymore!!!
Harro- Exactly! THATS whats been buggin me about this tiki, the wood is funky! It took the stain really weird, I didn't do that on purpose. But I remedied it (darkened it with black oil paint). You'll see when I post my final photos.
Aloha mates!

Finally getting the finished shots up.

Mahalo!

Nice!!!

T
teaKEY posted on Sun, Apr 6, 2008 6:11 PM

Oh, Its a baby!!! How cute. (love it, the top half is my favorite half)

Thanks Aloha & Teakey! aloha!

I was waiting for the backdrop photo shoot! I love it!!

S

Fine Job surfin, love the classic wall paper shot background thing.

B
Bowana posted on Tue, Apr 8, 2008 9:24 PM

I've had wood take stain weird like that too. It works well on yours though. Nice job, Bruddah!

surfin... that's a nice looking Marq you made there. :)

I do like the look of the stain, however unintentional. It's got a great vintage look to it.

Aloha Surfintiki!!! That is a really kool Marq carving. Don't beat yourself up you have created some excellent carvings and I know you have many more to come,Aloha your friend Mooney

J

sweet marq, I think you are too hard on yourself!

B

Excellent shots of an Excellent Marq. I agree with Johnny in that you are too rough on yourself. Lookit what you are DOING!

wow, thanks fellow tiki-ites!
Tikifreak...seeksurf...Bowana...Lake...Mooney...JP...Benz...
I hear ya guys loud n clear! I do enjoy beating myself up over so-so art! (some day I'll stop doing that). My sister and I are both artists, and we both do it. Funny.
Annnyyyywayyyy,
jus' wanted to share my HUGE carving area with everyone. It's called "outside"!
yep, that's it. :lol:

:lol: :lol:

I'm envious of your carving space. It's where I'd carve if I could. We live in your standard subdivision where you can almost jump from roof to roof. Last Fiday I was carving with my chainsaw and the next door neighbor turned her music way up so she wouldn't hear. I can't help it, I'm addicted, but I minimize the carving on weekends and usually go full blast for only a few hours in the late morning. After that I sand and burn. I am definitely sensitive to the neighbors.
You surfin', are a lucky man. Nice work on the Marq.

Thanks JT, you're right!
well I made a few slight changes to the Marq...I gave him a job.

a heavy base...

(looks like a birthday cake!)

and voila..

S

Nice touch, that base looks like it part of him
all along. Cool you have a custom tiki tiki torch.

B

Cool idea! Looks like he likes his new job. Now make five more just like that to line your patio! :)

S

Just picked up a couple tiki torches today.

Yeah, awesome job on the base and torch! You got the base to fit perfectly, impressive!!

Seeks: Thanks, ya GOTTA have tiki torches!
Bowana: I wish! But there will be more Marquesans in the future.
TikiF:Yeah, came out alright, just figuring out the dowels was the only part that slowed me down.

OK, new carving for a friend, has to be done fast. Got another BAD piece of wood...some rot, some stains, some bore holes, some stuff I don't know what it is!!

You'll make a beauty outta it, Brotha! No worries. U da Man~

S

Yes yes I see a little shredder under there.

ST

I like where you're going with it. Looks like a moai right? Goes right along with a paint job I would love to put on the bottom of one of my boards: a take off on the Endless Summer poster but with moai silhouettes with surfboards. Maybe I should pitch the idea to Mr. Gambino.

Thanks for the vote of confidence there Freddie B!
Surftiki-I'd LOVE to see that!
Seeks! You goin to Hukilau?

Heres some progress shots of the Pray For Surf tiki.
A little stain got under the tape job, I'm gonna try to clean that out. Also in retrospect, I would of liked to stain under the green and blue, real lightly, then paint over that. Oh well, lesson learned.

nice job...but as a designer, i can't help feelin that your life would have been easier had you made the surfboard a separate piece, to be mounted to the back of the tiki via screws/ glue.....a shorter log would have then been used and you would have had more control over the surf board shape...it looks great though.

"Don't sweat the petty stuff - pet the sweaty stuff!!"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-05-11 10:26 ]

Hey Tipsy, thanks! I hear ya on that, maybe in the future I'll do it that way, if I really want to emphasize the surfboard. It's just kind of suggestive.
I'll get some more shots of the back too, after I poly it

S

He has a great look in him for a quickie.
Nice work.

"Seeks! You goin to Hukilau?"

What? I looked it up its a restaurant or a dance?

NICE!

I LIKEEE!

Mahalo Seeks, Aloha, Tiki-miki-mekula.
Yes seeks, it was probably the quickest I've done. I'm all about saving time nowadays.
Finally getting around to posting the final shots on my typical blue back drop.

Aloha!

Hellyeah! Very nice craftmanship Surfin!!

B

Oh cool! I really like the tribal feel of these two.

The surfboard on PFS Tiki also looks good with just the blue masking tape!

Anyways, nice work Bruddah!

...The drums!...The drums!...

[ Edited by: Bowana 2008-05-24 10:18 ]

Nice looking surfer, and you're getting all fancy with your pictures
too. Nice job splashing the paint, I love a little color if it doesn't get
too cartooney.

Hey SurfinT

I dont normally comment on the work of you chizzlers (mainly cos I dont know whut Im takin bout!) but I really like your use of paint/colour. Very bold but definately not overdone and seems to 'pull' the piece together somehow.
Its also impressive that you are using colour at all in spite of some who may not like the practice. Please note, Im not trying to stir anything up here I just like the fact you are doing it because you like it. And even better, it works!

That Marq would make a great indoor/electric lamp too!

Tama :)

B

Hi Surfintiki,

You made a fantastic carving out of this "BAD piece of wood...some rot, some stains, some bore holes, some stuff I don't know what it is". Very nice work as always.

Benjamin.

Aloha Surfin Tiki!!!

Very cool tiki's your carving my friend, keep up the very nice creations, Aloha Mooney

Mahalo to all the kind words from you guys.
JungleT, Hell yeah, hell yeah!
Bow, Tribal indeed! No-one mentioned he kinda looks like an indian with a feather! :)
Conga, definitely agree, gotta be sparing on color.
Tama, Me too, hardly ever comment on the stone stuff, because I'm CLUELESS! But god I love that stuff, and the less I know, the more mystery behind them. I just want one around my neck! I really appreciate your thoughts, these kind of words are VERY important. I do like color, but I don't like taking away from the wood. I am having a hard time finding my style, which is actually how I AM in all my arts...music, graphic design, painting etc., so I guess NO style is my style...for now. Certain pieces can work with color, some don't. Some of Leroy Shmaltz's stuff was crazy with color, I don't want to take it that far, but it's interesting.
PS...I just got a surf dvd, called Drive-Thru, New Zealand...can't wait to see it!
Benella, I'm SO glad someone remembered the wood was not-a-so-good! I guess those are the ones that are good for quickies, and experiments!
Mooney, Thanks as always...keep it up I will!

S

Anything with the surf theme I'm Loving Nice Job Im
sure he will be happy with him.

Surfin... this guy slipped under my radar... I love it!

Great color choices!

These guys are tough with the board behind them, I did one a few years back and messed up two of them.

Everything about this one is really cool.

We actually got out surfing on the lake today. Not too bad, water 48 degrees and air 51 degrees. Waves were kinda crossed up, but waist to chest. I might get a picture from someone that I'll throw up on my thread.

Bump

After receiving wonderful advice from Benzart, I completed my pizzamaoi and am ready to put it on Marketplace. Final photo below...

ummmmm, new mahogany guys started, Thanks from a donation from the B-zart foundation of wood providers inc.

(Hey, thanks for the bump there sir Mooney!)

B

COOL Stuff Surfin, except for the Pizzamoai, I don't think he lasted too long. Enjoyed your visit and the time spent at Hukilau Including watching you and Devon Swimming with the Mermaids. Too bad they had already left the pool! :lol: :lol: Seriously we had a great time!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1123 replies