Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

LATSA Picturez! Tiki Table!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,123 replies

I usually say "carve deeper" - but for you I say "carve more often!"

That is nice!!!

E2

great job, original, I'm a fan

Ok, here's a little what I've been doing,
a short break from work, and the band.
A great trip out to Cali,
surf, explore, and a visit to the legendary Oceanic Arts to see Leroy and Bob...

Back here on Cape Cod,
Here's some of the bone stuff I've been working on...

...well, last saturday, went out and did a little of this...

...and ended up doing this...

...now can't carve, work, or do this!...

finis

T

Incredible trip. Awesome new bones!! But you broke some of yours?! What happened man?

M

Dude! Shark? Paddle? Fin? Coral?

Very nice art and pics. Hope the mend is swift brother!

Mahalo

McTiki

P

heal up fast bro!

Ha ha, looks like a nasty cut or somethin 'eh? Nada, just a sprain...should be good as new in a few weeks.
No shark stories here!

What a cool shot from the noserider-cam!

A
amate posted on Tue, Nov 29, 2011 2:19 PM

What a great bunch of photos!
nice shirt...nice chick :)...great water shot...sorry about the hand...and a really nice group of pendants...Hope that hand doesn't slow you down too much!

Yeah that chick turned out be a stiff. Thanks though

K
Keylo posted on Thu, Dec 1, 2011 4:09 PM

Had to be a great trip, thanks for bringing back some fotos for the land locked peeps. Your stuff is Bad to the Bone!

Fantastic pic's of ya holiday,had the pleasure of visit'n Oceanic arts myself awhile ago and Bob
and Leroy we're fantastic and wouldnt let me leave.Sorry to hear about ya hand but hopefully it will heal pretty quick so ya can get back
to some chop'n and a pick'n!Cheers Watango

and thru it all you have kept a positive attitude. Awesome! Nice work surfin! Life happens eh?

what up, surf! Glad to see you're still carving too, but bummed you have to take a little time off for healing. I hope you heal fast so you can get back to carvin' n' rockin' n' surfin' that nice chilly cape cod water. Any more great white sightings by the lighthouse this year?

Luv the board pic, Bro..

B

Love Dem Bonz Surfer, hate that banged up hand!

Thanks Keylo, Watango, Jungle T. Thanks for peeking in!
Poly: AHHH HA, noooope, no sharky's gonna sour our summer...it's the only bright side to surfing in the winter here...the sharks are snowbirds, go south in the winter!
'Sup Freddie B?!!!
Ben: Great to hear from ya! Hand is doing great, gonna try some sanding today.

Finally finished up this framed relief map I got out in Hawaii. Got the bamboo from good ol' Leroy at Oceanic Arts. Threw together some embellishments at the corners, and a bone hook inside on the map.

Mahalo! :drink:

s U r F i N t i k i

[ Edited by: surfintiki 2011-12-09 14:21 ]

P

dude...you guys are killing it with these maps!!!

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2011-12-11 02:57 ]

P

On 2011-12-10 04:25, pjc5150 wrote:
dude...you guys are killing it with these maps!!!

wtf happened??? damned dbl posts!!!

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2011-12-11 02:56 ]

T

That's awesome, Surfin. I found splitting bamboo to be pretty difficult. Do you do that or buy it split?

Thanks PJC!
Big T, all I can say is...b a n d s a w !!!
....like butter.

C

I love the map, very nice! what happen to your hand?? ouch! carving , sports, music, you need both your hands, do you hear me? :) take care

Hey Clarita, GREAT to hear from you! I hear ya, mom!!! ha ha! Hand is much better, thank you.

Just another shot of the Map with a battery powered light above it, pretty cool at night!

P

I am diggin' that!

Waaaayyyyy COOL!

Way kool job on the map,finally head'n to Hawaii in march(9wks actually not that I'm count'n :) ) and would be kool to score one of those
and do something similiar for the Watango lounge,any tips on where i might find one would be much appreciated.Cheers Watango

Thanx Waikikian and PJC!
Watango, that's awesome! You must be psyched. I might be out there around the same time too, we'll see.
You going to Oahu? You can get the maps at ... http://www.kualoa.com/ it's a scenic ranch with gift shop etc. Or just get one online from... http://www.summitmaps.com/Products/Oahu---Hawaii__0016.aspx
Aloha brah

WOW....lovin' the map. You did a great job of enhancing it and the frame is fabulous!!!

Hey Surf,thanks for info on where to score one of those maps and yep we're stoked about our
trip to Hawaii,I can already see Diamond Head at sunset thru the bottom of my maitai!It would be way kool if you were
going to be on oahu when we're there(1-14march),maybe you give us a few tips on surf'n and enjoy a few drinks with us at La Mariana,Cheers Watango

Thanks Mrs Vampire! :)
Watango! That would be cool, I haven't been to Marianna Yacht club yet either, hoping next time. I'll keep your dates in mind when I start getting my plans together. I am SO ready to get over there!!

A couple more pieces finished, and still working on.

Gonna do some more sanding, then a little Tea dunk, more sanding and finis!

Mahalo for stopping by!

s U r F i N t i k i

[ Edited by: surfintiki 2012-01-12 12:29 ]

Dang, Surf,

That is some beautiful work, as is the work on your site. I think what I like best is the job you do bringing out the glow of your materials. They're obviously worked, but they stay natural.

Thanks for sharing your skill.

[ Edited by: Professor G 2012-01-12 19:38 ]

Thanks G! I like hearing that! I never know what to classify myself as.

Very nice! Love that sting ray! I think I'll cut out another bone carving after I finish this fishin tiki dude I'm working on. Very impressive work on all these pieces!

Thanks Captain! I'm better in the more broader shapes, it's the detailed lines I need to keep working on. Here's another shot of the Maori piece after I dunked him in some tea...

N

Whoa! Very nice work, I really like the ray.

P

^ yeah, no doubt. that ray is the shizzle!

L

On 2012-01-12 12:18, surfintiki wrote:

Very nice piece Dave!

T

wow, super nice. Way to go Dave!

that is some really nice stuff. I am always amazed at all the detail in these as it must be incredibly difficult to create

NICE....surf!!! love the ray! very nice job

B

Dammit Dave, Lookin' Good! You might learn how to do this one day?

Big Mahalo to Big T
Grand Mahalo to Poobah and Chimp!
Mahalo Benz...some day I'll get it right!

A
amate posted on Thu, Jan 26, 2012 2:47 PM

On 2012-01-24 14:37, surfintiki wrote:
..some day I'll get it right!

your kiddin' ...right? :wink:

Thanks Amate!
Well I thought I'd try something new. Took one of my straight logs (Ash) to a guy in town who lathed the bark off for me! Ha! Cheater!
He's got some interesting works he does. Carves hats! Lampshades and lots of other unique stuff. He's at turnmeknot.com
Here's a couple o' photos...

OMG, check out these lampshades!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1123 replies