Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

4WDtiki - Bill's stuff. - first new pics in years

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 1,386 replies

A couple of Bill, using chisels!! (Tiki Oasis 7, Da Big Chop!)

B

Lookin really, really good Bill! Your work has sooo jumped the scales lately...when's the book come out?

H
hewey posted on Tue, Aug 21, 2007 7:47 PM

This moai looks like a perfect candidate to spit some water to become a water feature! :D

Update time, I actually carved this weekend!
I knocked these two guys out yesterday, and coated with varnish.

And pulled this one out of 'storage' today. I started it at a chop back in April or so, and wasn't happy with the way it was going. I fianlly figured out what I wanted to do to it.:)

I borrowed some paint and brushes from my pal Clysdalle, painted on the lines, and stained it after.
It's still not done, so stay tooned.

B
Bowana posted on Sun, Sep 2, 2007 7:54 PM

She's great, Bill. The He-Tikis far outnumber the She-Tikis.

Earth Needs Tiki-Women!

Hey Bill, I did a 4x4 moai inspired by your work

It seems I have quite a bit of inspiration from your work.

HOK

On 2007-09-02 19:54, Bowana wrote:
The He-Tikis far outnumber the She-Tikis.

Earth Needs Tiki-Women!

Aloha All!! Some She-Tikis for your Tiki files

Freddie

Hey, VERY cool, Freddie! Not something I see much of. Good references as well.

I love that display. Your tikis drip California style! You do great, clean saw work, man..again lots of vintage mana.

Ack! A month since my last post! What have I been doing? Well, this one:
was started two months ago, and I did some work on it at the car show chop the other week.

And I started these this weekend. They are 98% done, just a few cleanup/touchup spots, now that I look at the pic. These are for the local outrigger club, one says "coach" and the other says "president".
Approx. 4' tall.

O.O.C.C. = Oceanside Outrigger Canoe Club.

I have a few other things to show, but no pics yet, stay tooned. :wink:

B

Pretty neat and very nice work.
Congrats

Ben

H
hewey posted on Thu, Oct 11, 2007 4:10 AM

Nice work mate, I always enjoy your work...

when you post it... :lol: :D

It's a very nice Tikigod !!! I have trouble even drawing "stick figures" !!! My first and last attempt for now,is carved from red cedar is so sad ... he wobbles like he has been hittin' the sauce !!!

I finished the carving on this one over the weekend, at the chop. Just need to burn and stain.

I've also been working on this one, too. It's 5'4", and all woman! :wink: It will live in Seattle when finished.

wow i love them all keep up the good work

I added some 'hair' to this one last week.

It was my third try, with three different grasses/leaves. I don't know the name of the plant these are from, but it's tough enough, and matches '"my vision". :P

I may wrap some Ti leaf lei around the bottom edge of hair to hide the staples, but as the grass dries and browns, they are becoming less noticable.
I also have a shell necklace I want to put around her neck, but other than that, she's done!
I am going to keep this one, I like it alot. :D

Update tomorrow on the big female tiki. :wink:

H
hewey posted on Thu, Oct 25, 2007 8:42 PM

I like it :D just use a black marker on those staples, that will hide them

Thanks Hewey! I think a black marker would make them stand out even more, though.

Here's the big female commission piece. It's at about 90% right now. I want to put some more tattoo lines around her "female parts". Then figure out how to ship it safely to Seattle. :o

If it looks strikingly similar to a previous tiki, that was the plan. :D

B

Hey Bill,

These guys and gals are really looking super tight! That princess tikis's hair do screams fashion trend! I know the leaves will dry out, but I really like the green color they are now. A planter tiki would be cool. Can't wait to pick your brain at the next Chop. Got's a nice log for ya wheeler...thanks for helping a brother out when he was hurtin for a log back when..

Here she is, all done! 5'6".

3/4 view

These torso tattoos were painted on, not carved in first like all the rest.

Now to figure out how to ship this baby safely!

Started the next one today, it is an 8 footer, and is another commission. I just had time to cut in the basic lines before the sun went down at 5PM!

The customer wants it to look like this one, only taller.

And here's a pic of the tiki my granddaughter Victoria did at the last chop.

She drew the design on, I cut her lines with the chainsaw, she chiseled it out, I sanded with the grinder, she stained it and painted on the highlights.

She's eight. Look out world!

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Nov 4, 2007 6:53 PM

Choice Wheeler!! Are those ball bearings used on her nippies there?

[ Edited by: Babalu 2007-11-04 18:54 ]

H
hewey posted on Sun, Nov 4, 2007 6:59 PM

Nice work 4WD. The new girl looks great, she got style! :D Love seeing the mark out stage on the commision piece, I find it interesting to see the process of different artists. And wow, look at that kid go! That's a seriously cool tiki, but she's got a good teacher. Cant wait to see more from her! :D (watch it nate, she might start to steal you work!) :lol: :D

S

She looks great! I dont see enough female tikis. Cool she will be living
in my neck of the woods.

B

Man-O-Man, those are some Beautiful women you have there. Excellent work!

On 2007-11-04 18:53, Babalu wrote:
Choice Wheeler!! Are those ball bearings used on her nippies there?

Nope, they're 1/2" birch dowel! I drilled holes, tapped in and glued the dowel, then cut them to just the right length, sanded and stained'em. :D

Thanks, hewey, seeksurf, and Ben! I'm thinking I'm gonna do more females. It's fun!

I mean carve more females! :P

Here's more progress on the new one. Since the last pic, I went thru a tankful of gas in the chainsaw on Monday, and another one today. Each tank lasts about an hour. It's starting to look like something!

Sure looks like it's a small stick in the pic, but it really is 8 feet tall.

J

You are turning out some top notch carvings. The full figured girl tiki is primo, modern clean looking but with old school charm. Very well done, brought a huge grin to my face.

B

I Love the last one.
Is there a link between the "R" rated title and the second opus of The Queens of the stone Age ? Sorry, I'm just asking :)

Benjamin.

C

Oh I like the tiki Victoria made, congrats to her!! The new one is already looking good,greetings!

B

You have some Serious tikiability on your hands. The tikis you are creating are Very traditional looking while maintaining that "4WD" look and on top of that they are Not looking like "Cookie Cutter" tikis! Congrats and Nice Stuff.
""
Best time to start'em out. This will definitely be a great Childhood memory. Excellent tiki Too!

JohnnyP, Thanks, I love her too, and would keep her if I could! 8)

benella, thanks. What's the title of that Queens song?

Clarita, thanks for checking in, and Victoria appreciates your comments!

Benz, I wish I knew what that 4WD look was!, but I'm happy they're not cookiecutter. :D

Here's today's update on the 8 footer:

This week, I'll burn and stain it, and deliver on Saturday!

Man O Man your the guy who carves those awesome tiki's!! I was admiring them at Tiki Oasis last summer. The one I saw at Oasis I wanted to buy but it already sold sticker on it. Anyway that R rated Tiki freakin Rawks!! I really like your style.

S

You are in 4WD "4WDtiki" The 8' is SWEET! Nice work!

B

WOW, your new piece is "masterpiecy".
P.S: the name of the album of the queens of the stone age is "Rated R" that is their second LP.

Benjamin.

H

The female and the 8 footer are just...awesome Bill!

Here's the 8' tiki standing up for the first time, being moved out of the backyard.

I'm giving it one coat of thinned varnish today and tomorrow, then it's done!

H

Very nice Bill. Keep them coming.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Nov 19, 2007 8:33 PM

4WD,

That 8 footer is superb! I imagine the new ower will be very pleased. I really enjoy watching you make these killer carvings. That female piece is excellent! Great boobs! :D

-G

I really do like the old school mana on these..very mid-50's California. I have always thought that finish is half the style and battle on any tiki. Hard to perfect your own, but you've always had it. Looks like your granddaughter has been bitten by the tiki carver's bug as well...and the artistic flair genes show! Great work.

great stuff..
Didn't I see Victoria on Nickelodeon this summer?
Slime across america!
Both of you keep up the good work!

c ya!

J

Great work! I love the contrast and the lines of your designs. They have a real balance and demand attention. Thats just in the pictures... I'm sure they're even more so in person.

S

Nice work 4WDtiki. Man you make good work of every inch on the 8'
Nice to see people in the NW with great taste in Tiki's.

Finally have a pic of the 8 footer all finished and in it's new home.

S

Some where i thought 8" was heading to Seattle?

Are you saying that picture doesn't look like Seattle?!?!? :wink:

It's the 5'6" tiki with the big tits from the last page that went to Seattle, this 8 footer is here in San Diego county.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Dec 31, 2007 6:00 PM

That's a happy tiki! :D

K

wow very nice!!!!

B

That's a Sweet Tiki, Very Well done and I Love the finish.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 1386 replies