Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

4WDtiki - Bill's stuff. - first new pics in years

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 1,386 replies

Damn Bill! My oldest grandchild is 2, you must be like 12 years older than me! That would make you 66!!! :lol:

I'm getting better at barely getting by

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-08-06 21:58 ]

I became "Grandpa" at 41, best thing ever! :D

K
KAHAKA posted on Tue, Aug 7, 2012 8:30 PM

Congrats on the wedding and another awesome Tiki!

P

good stuff Bill....

I dig it.

Wish you werent so far away now.

Great work as always. Enjoy Hawaii.

Beats the heck out of Vista.

Latest couple of tikis:

Both are out of Hawaiian Avocado wood, carves real nice.

P

those are great Bill....

and hey, I'm still getting regular use out of that ECHO you advised me to buy...so at this point I have been beating the shit out of it for a solid year & a half and it hasn't missed a beat..

good advice & I appreciate it bro...

Nice Jeff, mine too! Like a Timex watch...

Latest Tiki, again from Hawaiian Avocado.
23" tall, and available.

I really like how this avocado carves, but I got ahold of some new wood that I'm eager to try: monkeypod, lychee, and red eucalyptus.

Way kool bruddah

C
Cljha posted on Sun, Sep 23, 2012 5:20 AM

Cool carving, congratulations....

P

looking good Bill...

Kool stuff Bill!

Thanks guys!

Here's the latest, I call it "The Offering".
It's carved from a nice chunk of banyan, stands 23" tall, and has a tung oil finish.

Aloha!

Just keeps getting better Bill.

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Oct 2, 2012 3:24 AM

That Banyon wood is beautiful Bill! Very nice piece.

Mahalo

McTiki

Bill, love "The Offering". I've been thinking for a while that concept would make a cool mug - the outstretched hands could hold a small flame. I had thought about a wahine like that but don't have the skilz to sculpt her :lol:

As always....superb!!! The wood is gorgeous too.

I really like the posture of this one! Looks like you're getting the hang of carving hard wood.

P

yeah that is sweet one for sure.

Loving the look of that hardwood...

like these guys say ^^ great shapes/posture on 'the offering' I like the oiled finish too...

Here's my latest. Three feet tall, carved from what I thought was Eucalyptus, but a local guy says it's not. :shrug:

It has killer grain, so I went with the Tung oil again, to highlight it.

Stealing Buzzy's thing, here's a recent sunset pic, this is near Poipu.

You made the move! Hows the weather on the other end of the state? It's been a rainy on this windward side. I love all your tikis. When you gonna do da local kine tikis though? There are a lot of varieties of eucalyptus in Hawaii & their wood varies significantly from each other also. You could be just right, although I couldn't really tell because of the stain. Enjoy your ocean sunsets & carve on with your bad self.

AWESOME DETAIL

hang10, thanks!
nutzo, mahalos, yah, I just passed my one year moving anniversary, I'm permanent! Not going to carve the local kine tikis. Marquesans are my thing. Plus, I learned that Marquesan explorers were the first people to reach Kauai, so they are the original locals, no? :D

oops, double post

Viva Kate!
Me on Facebook

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2012-11-21 07:44 ]

Nice!

H

Just perfect.

Like she said...classic :)
And one really nice sunset too. Giving thanks over some
nice new tiki carvings on TC...keep em coming.

D
Dagg posted on Wed, Nov 21, 2012 11:24 AM

Your stuff is soooo cool dude! Wish I was rich.

A
amate posted on Wed, Nov 21, 2012 4:25 PM

Your stuff just keeps getting better and better. The move seems to have elevated your carving to the next level.

P

hmmm...well whatever it is, it's awesome.

there's a restaurant here that has a bar & fixtures made of eucalyptus and it's some pretty stunning wood when finished properly...

great piece Bill...one of your better ones...

Fantastic true form Marquesan work, 4WD.. always been my favorite style.

WOW Bill, that latest one is a BEAUT!

^^ what he said, really nice finish...

Thanks for all your great compliments, from way back in November! I thought I carved since then, but maybe not...
Anyway, here's one I finished today, first tiki for 2013!

Driftwood, 32" tall.

A little story with this one. Last week, I had the great idea to try carving driftwood, because there is literally tons of it here. I brought my chainsaw to work, and on the way home, stopped at the beach. First beach (Kealia) had nothing suitable that was easily reached, so I drove on down to Wailua.
From the highway, I could see a mass of driftwood on the south side of the Wailua river mouth, so I pulled off there.
There was quite a few whole tree trunks, 30-50 feet. I cut a few sections out of a couple, and hauled them back to my truck.
On the way to the truck, I see a couple sign markers, and go take a look. Turns out, it's the site of Kauai's version of the City of Refuge! Cool! The trees didn't grow there, but they washed up there. Added mana for these pieces, I feel.

Great story and way kool 1st piece for 2013...
I have missed seeing your name around here lately...

C

2013 looks promising.
Bravo, what's next :wink:

HT

Very nice carving. He's a good one, with a good back story to go with him.

I was just there, right at Wailua River, where it empties into ocean. Walked up to a log that had been cut with a chainsaw. Must have been you. Lots of excellent wood for carving.

Very cool tiki! I wouldn't even be able to tell he was made from driftwood. But he is even cooler since he is made of driftwood! I need to get some cool looking tikis like this guy...

On 2013-01-16 18:44, Jungle Trader wrote:
I was just there, right at Wailua River, where it empties into ocean. Walked up to a log that had been cut with a chainsaw. Must have been you. Lots of excellent wood for carving.

Just there when? I cut the log last Thursday...

I was there last Saturday. You are very fortunate to have access to such excellent carving wood. I wanted to take a log with me on the plane but......sigh.
Actually we stayed right there above the Wailua River outlet at the Aston Aloha for 6 daze.

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2013-01-17 19:15 ]

Another winner Bill. Now that you are in a wet tropical climate have you thought about a green tiki? Slather it with a mixture of yogurt or buttermilk & moss and let nature take over. The moss would eventally cover the details, it might work best with a more basic tiki form.

Nice Mike, I'll put that on the list. :wink: Everyday driving to work, I drive over a small old concrete highway bridge, that's covered in moss. So is the pavement shoulder for twenty feet. It's because of the trees right there keeping the spot in the shade. Always thought I need to stop and snap a pic, maybe now I'll do it!

Jungle, directly behind the Aston is where I was! It had to have been the log I cut that you saw! Unbelievable!!
6 days, how was your stay? Did you take the Coco palms tour? Or try to find Tiki Iniki/

Hey Bill, I didn't take the Coco Palms tour. I did find the future Tiki Iniki. It was wierd, I drove directly to it after snorkeling Anini Beach without knowing where it was. Turned right into first shopping center, then left around back and there it was. I didn't want to freak out any waitress, (in case they didn't know) so I just asked if they were doing a makeover. She spilled her guts and told me just about everything. HA! btw, good stuff.

Second finished piece of the new year, a Marquesan bust.

A peek into my carving shack.

It's about 22" tall.

A super dense chunk of old Coconut palm.

Such great colors in this wood.

Little bit of photo-edit.

On 2013-01-17 19:11, Jungle Trader wrote:
I was there last Saturday. You are very fortunate to have access to such excellent carving wood. I wanted to take a log with me on the plane but......sigh.
Actually we stayed right there above the Wailua River outlet at the Aston Aloha for 6 daze.

I took the tiki back to where it came from for a pic. Recognize that log? :D

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 1386 replies