Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

4WDtiki - Bill's stuff. - first new pics in years

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 1,386 replies

J

On 2008-03-16 18:54, 4WDtiki wrote:

Excellent!! You have a great style, super bold cutz.

They make a cute couple!

B

"Her body is definately better than her face, but I think when she's all finished, she'll be a looker. :wink:"
Come on out of the cold, She's A LOOKER ALREADY!
Both are Way up Excellent!

Well, it's Sunday, so it must be time for my update!
I made zero progress on any tikis at the chop at my house last week. :roll:
I spent the whole day talking and eating. :wink:
So I started this one last Sunday, and came close to finishing it up today. I still want to sand it a little more, and stain it golden oak.

:D

Hey 4WDTIKI! Love your work man! Lotta range and scope in your carvings. You mention selling your work in quite a few post. I want to carve fulltime like it seems you do. Are you doing it fulltime and making a living at this or is it part time deal? One of things I have noticed about this site is no one really talks about price when it comes to selling their work. Any chance you could clue me in on values of your past and present work? I am trying to judge what I could expect to get from my work as I get better. Is there a section on this site to sell your work? Any help in this area would be much appreciated---Tucson Tikl

S

Nice dig the tri-pod.

Sunday Update!
I finished up the tiki on the left today, which I started a couple days ago. The little Moai guy I carved months ago, but only today stained and burned.

Look for these guys at my booth at the Parking Lot Sale! 8)

I started this guy yesterday.

On 2008-03-30 20:57, Tucson Tiki wrote:
Hey 4WDTIKI! Love your work man! Lotta range and scope in your carvings. You mention selling your work in quite a few post. I want to carve fulltime like it seems you do. Are you doing it fulltime and making a living at this or is it part time deal? One of things I have noticed about this site is no one really talks about price when it comes to selling their work. Any chance you could clue me in on values of your past and present work? I am trying to judge what I could expect to get from my work as I get better. Is there a section on this site to sell your work? Any help in this area would be much appreciated---Tucson Tikl

Hey TT!
I WISH I carved fulltime, but the reality is, I have a real fulltime job, and carve tikis for Fun and Profit! :wink:
If you want to know the prices of any of my tikis, just PM me.
The Marketplace forum is the section of Tiki Central where stuff gets sold, but I don't post anything there, since my tikis are too big (heavy) to try to sell anywhere but locally.
Keep on carvin', and post up yer work!

B

hi 4w
great stuff,i cant believe how fast and good you chop while working full time.
now that you have some tiki women done you should start a tiki e harmony
sorry i missed the last chop but i'll be at the next one
buzzard

4WDtiki very nice carvings my friend! You have a coolm style going on ,thanks for sharin, Aloha, Mooney

Sunday update.

I finally finished this one. It's been hanging around half carved for months, while I tried to figure out what to do with it.

Plus I got this one stained and burned, but I don't think I'm done with it.

Well, the above tiki WAS done after all, I ran out of time before the TF parking lot sale, so I took him as is, and he now lives in Pasedena!

I scrambled all week to get as many tikis completed as I could, here's most of them.

This girl will be residing in Vegas soon.

Full frontal

Here's our booth at the Tiki Farm parking lot sale. My wife makes the vintage fabric bikinis, halters, pillows, purses, etc. Someday, maybe she'll start a thread of her work.:wink:

Here she's twisting up a Ti leaf Lei.

B

WOW, what an Excellent bunch of Tikis. I Really love the burning detail you are doing to them, it really Adds a Lot !
Cool Stuff.

S

Nice 4wheel looks like fun.

I got to drool over these all day! Great stuff Bill.

Thanks Ben, seek, and Hank!
Hank, it was good to see ya at the sale!

Here's what I'm working on this week. I started this one at the chop this past Saturday and got a very little done :wink:, worked most of the day Sunday, and a little yesterday and today. Here's where it's at right now.

I hope to have it done by Saturday.

Thanks for looking!

S

Right On! I love how you fill in so much.
You have detail's and lines all over your work.
Looking good 4WD.

Hi there Bill, I love the bold lines and like Benz said the burning really makes these guys pop. You definitely have your own signature style. The lady tiki cracks me up. It looks like she is yak yak yaking (as women can do), maybe scolding her man tiki, haha.

MrsHoptiki

H
harro posted on Wed, Apr 30, 2008 6:13 AM

man thats a lotta tikis!!

hope you had a good day and some of them found new homes.

seeing them all together like that, and with the new one too, your individual style definitely shows through strongly.

nice work.

I completely lost track of this thread for a bit, and found it again. You've done some amazing work in the last couple months. You're burning is top notch.

B

Excellent one 4WD! Love the Tats and the TEETH are Perfect, You a Dentist too? Can't wait to see him finished up.

Dig it too.....nice Tiki and a very nice collection throughout the thread.
Gotta make another drink.

Buzzy and I made a bet to whether you would tattoo this one with triangels, squares or circles..........I said swirlies!!! I WIN!!!(goin' ta didneylan)

Love it Bill!!(ya punk)

B

lets see,at the chop you just sit around and eat
and the next day you have a new tiki
come on ,tell the truth
you have tiki elves that come out at night
and do your carving,dont you?

great stuff

Aloha MrsHoptiki, glad you like the lady tiki. Maybe I should carve her a husband tiki, holding his hands over his ears!?!

harro, thanks, and yes, four tikis found new homes that day.

Flat, thanks, come around more!

Benz, I love the way the teeth came out too. And my Mom did want me to be a dentist. :lol:

Thanks, conga, I'll drink to that.

Mr Crud, if you look again, there are triangles around the eyes, so Buzzy wins too. Sorry.

buzzard, it's the inspiration I get at the chops, that fuels the next day's carving session!

I should have an update pic tonight!

Here's where I'm at:

S

Very Nice burn line touch you have there.

Aloha 4WDtiki!!!

Another very Kool carving , but I would expect nothing less from you with yourvery creative skills,Aloha Mooney

seeks, those 'burn lines' are actually carved with a V-chisel, and painstakingly filled in with a small brush and dark stain. But thanks!

Mooney, you expect nothing less of me? Damn, the pressure's ON! :wink:

Here's this guy all finished. I stained it with two slightly different stains, golden oak on the face and body, and medium walnut diluted with some golden oak on the headress.
Front.

Side.

Back.

Then, wasting no time, I started the next one, a fairly traditional Marquesan.

looks killer 4wd!

Aloha 4WDtiki!!! No pressure and No worries my friend. You have an excellent eye and a kool flow and the new tiki you have started is already looking Sweet! keep up the fun tiki carvin and say hello to all those other talented artists out west and westcoast, Aloha your friend, Mooney

B

Definitely a Beauty, Excellent detail and stain work too and the new guy is following along nicely.

Yeah! I like! great style.

J

marvelous attention to detail, you make this look easy.

Great new stuff, Bill. Are you attending the Luau? Need a head count pretty soon.

Bill,your style is the shizz,very cool.

S

Yes! that Marquesan is looking very tasty.

Thanks Thomas, Mooney, Benz, surfin, JP, Billy, kustom, and seek!
I worked on this guy a little at Buzzy's house yesterday, and some more today at home. Here's where it's at.

The lighter parts are freshly sanded, the darker parts have been sitting in the sun for a week.
Notice how my yard is approaching buzzy-yard status. :wink:

B

Congrats on the "Buzzy Yard" status, I know it took a Lot of work and the Awesome tiki is living Proof! Nice work, Excellent tiki!

S

This sucker is looking fantastic!

I don't know if your yard can be as nasty as the buzzy, but
hanging with him might be where its started.

Rare midweek update! :P

I started another Marq yesterday, and made good progress today. Here it it.

Here it is with the first one. All I did on the first one today was the teeth.

I finished this guy last weekend, but neglected to post.

AND, I knocked out this one in my spare time. :wink:

It's the one I started at the luau chop last weekend.

I stripped these two logs yesterday, and today started carving. They are rough cut with chainsaw and chisels, and somewhat sanded with the grinder.
They're 5' tall, and commissions for a friend. She wants Lono and Kanaloa for her fiance. They need to be done by this weekend.

(tilt your head to the left, the bottoms are not level yet!)

B

Stop cranking them out so fast, Bill! Yer killing me! :)

J

On 2008-05-26 19:47, 4WDtiki wrote:

(tilt your head to the left, the bottoms are not level yet!)

I thought we were on the "Bat Channel" POW, BIFF

You keep carving at this pace and you will be tied with Buzzy

B

Looks like you got All 4 wheels in Overdrive, Lookin Cool!

FWD tiki!!! looks like your in 5th gear and crankin,lookin fwd to seein the lono and how he comes alive in your very creative own style,lots of Kool tiki's here,Aloha Mooney

S

Great looking pair nice work as usual coming from you FWD.

I'm struggling with the eye placement and trying to square of
the head dress on the lono. Know what i mean I would love
to have a symmetrical head but its difficult.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 1386 replies