Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

4WDtiki - Bill's stuff. - first new pics in years

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 1,386 replies

Thanks Hank!

Here's the finished tiki:

Yes, the coach's name is Lumpy!

Nothing too fancy, just yer basic budget-minded tiki.
The dark streaks are splits in the wood, not stain malfunction.

Forgot to mention, big thanks to Zaya, for lending me her woodburner. It worked great on the lettering, much easier than a chisel!

B
BigToe posted on Fri, Oct 2, 2009 7:54 PM

Killer!!!!

B

hey bill looking good,been out of the loop for awhile,but just got internet access again

Started this Marq at the chop yesterday:

It looks the size of a mug in the pic, but it's 3 foot +.

Side view:

Z
Zaya posted on Sun, Oct 11, 2009 8:50 PM

On 2009-10-02 17:04, 4WDtiki wrote:
Forgot to mention, big thanks to Zaya, for lending me her woodburner. It worked great on the lettering, much easier than a chisel!

No problem at all! Anytime you need to borrow it let me know. I'm sure the burner is thanking you for using it too, and not neglecting it like I have. :) The tiki turned out great! I bet the new owner loves it.

Zaya

Very nice Bill!

B

Great piece, the cracks look perfect on it.

Benjamin.

K
Kino posted on Mon, Oct 12, 2009 7:02 AM

I like the way you just keep pumping those guys out !
Must make it hard to keep stocked with logs.

Thanks, Lennie, Benella, and Kino!
Yes, it's tough to keep a stock of wood.
I'm always accepting donations. :wink:

So I finished the Marq I started last weekend at the chop:

I love the way this one came out. It's kind of funny to me how good tikis just happen. I just started carving without a plan, just to be busy at the chop.
Sometimes I get lucky. :)

T

I love the way you do the legs, it's very "Picasso" to me. Cool stuff man.

Looks awesome.

I've been busy working on my entree into the Tikot show at Freaky Boutiki Gallery http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33997&forum=17&98

The card drawn for me was "Strength"."The design of this card is fairly constant across tarot decks. The key characters are that of a woman and a lion, with the woman looking calm and gentle, yet dominant over the lion.

The lion represents our strong inner passions, the woman purity. The woman, confident in her abilities, easily tames the lion with virtually no physical strength.
True Strength is fortitude of character, and the ability to not only control the emotions, but to rise above them, and triumph over all out lower impulses and desires."

I received my inspiration from Tiki-Kate's thread on Cannibal carvings: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33940&forum=5&hilite=cannibal
mainly this pic:

I combined the first two to come up with my version.

I just finished burning and sanding it, It still need to trim some parts, fill in areas, and stain it.
Not quite done, but will be in another day or two.

T

WOW!! Way to take an Idea at make it yours.. thats one bad ass idea!! Yeah C'mon!!

Nice tikification of a classic tarot card. Very imaginative.

i remember your trepidation at the Chop a while back...
Glad you took the lion by the Horns
and Rose Above
with such an awesome Strength piece!
YAY Billy!

B

Excellent as Usual 4 wheel, I'm sure it will finish out super too. And I Loved your last Marq, he was Awesome, something about him was just Real Sweet.

Billz got Skilz

G
GROG posted on Tue, Oct 27, 2009 1:26 PM

Definitely knocked the last two out of the park.

Your lines ar so clean on your tikis. You're hired.

GROG like.

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-10-27 13:29 ]

Wow!!! Great job, Bill. I can't wait to see it in person.

T

No butt shot. Lookin good

Excellent! That piece will definately stand out among all the paintings.

Whoa, thank you ALL!

Kate, sounds like you'll be there Saturday?
Grog, Monkeyman, how bout you guys?
Teakey, I'll get a butt shot up for ya.

T

Yep, ya gotta love it. Well done. Love the "claws" and the mane on the lion.

Uh-oh. I just finished a re-do on the mane this morning! I like it better now. Pics by tonight!

B

wow bill they look great!

if you think you have it bad finding logs you should try here
the closest palms are tucson 60 miles away but i still have a
few imported from sd

sure miss the chops

Here's where it's at today.
I'll call it 98% done.

Butt shot for Teakey.

Hell ya! Nice work.

On 2009-10-28 11:37, 4WDtiki wrote:
Kate, sounds like you'll be there Saturday?

I'm not 100% sure yet. I'll either be spending the evening in San Diego or in a very sincere pumpkin patch.

T

I think I am a little turned ON.....

I had to carve something so I could bump my thread before the year ends. :roll: :lol:

Started this guy last weekend, finished this morning. He's only about two feet tall.

2 months! What happened Bill? You new guy there looks very stable with that 3rd foot :)

Well, shorter colder days, rain and wet ground, holidays, lazy...:wink:

Always a pleasure seeing your new carvings...just GREAT!!!

Fab!

Good to see you back in the saddle.

I plan to have something else done by Sunday, look out, I'm on a roll! :lol:

I like this one, nice proportions!

Nice carve Bill!

Your Marquesans have a calming effect on me.

Maybe its the greenery behind it, but this guy is just sitting there real patient, like a silent guardian.

All the lines work together to make this guy pop, not too many cuts, not too little cuts... just the right amount.

Nice carve Bill!

Your Marquesans have a calming effect on me.

Maybe its the greenery behind it, but this guy is just sitting there real patient, like a silent guardian.

All the lines work together to make this guy pop, not too many cuts, not too little cuts... just the right amount.

Hmm, seven weeks since I last posted some tiki here, I've been Slackin!
But, I went to Billy the Crud's minichop last weekend and got all inspired. :D

Here's two smaller pieces I finished today.
The left one was started waay back in Oct(?) at HodadHank's Lagoon Chop! I took it to Billy's last week, and added two lines. Today I burned it.
The tiki on the right I started yesterday, finished today. It's burned, not stained.

They both are half-round logs, flat on the back for wall mounting. Both are very light, and could be shipped for cheap! :wink:

Damn! That Marq is beeee-u-teee-full. That's a good way to catch up quick, ...crank out some perfect tikis!

Great things being posted tonight, must have been a good karma day
for carvers:-)
Really like the new ones, 'specially the Marq.

Nice carves Bill. Very dramatic photos too, looks like something Robb Hamel would paint on black velvet.

Bill, the Marquesan is super pretty. Great lines, and from the front I'd swear it is a full log.

Loving the mask on the left too... great eyes!

Thanks surfin, conga, Mike and Lake!

Mike, check out page 36 of this thread for what I thought was my Robb Hamel photo.

Lake, funny you say that. I had this split log hanging around for months with me not sure how to carve it. Finally it occured to me to treat it just like it was a full round log. Also, all your wall-hanging pieces were the inspiration for me to try one myself!

I dig em !
Here is the problem I'm having ...
Every time I open up this compooter deal and sign into the greatest digital thingy on the web I see something else I want to have in my room!
You work is cool and it is now on the list of reasons my creditors may never see their money returned to them ! lol
MAHALO!

Bill is BACK
and Badder than ever!

You're a MANIAC!

beautiful!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 1386 replies