Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

LATSA Picturez! Tiki Table!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,123 replies

Nice - very full looking and smooth - and what about the rest? :)

Ks

I know, I know! I'm M.I.A. That's "In Action" though....really really biz-eee.
I'm looking forward to getting my free time back, and get back to these guys. I got a piece of wood I'm dieing to get at too. I say hi to it every time I walk past it. We're gettin to know eachother. He says "hmph" when I walk by though.
The bone is leftover from my sisters dog Tucker. WAIT! That doesn't sound right! They're cow bones that Tucker would CHEW on. ok. Sorry.
Seeks: Be happy you've got a good job these days, huh! I hope you're starting your plans for Hukilau!
Benzarino!: Hi. (I just wanted to say Benzarino)

yuss the turtle has been started.Dont let me down now,he MUST be finished :lol:

Greeny- Yeah man! I can't wait to get on that. I'm just learning how to do this, so I don't want to experiment on the wee turtle yet...first this hook.

Ok, now I've learned how hard it is to work with super brittle Puau shell. But I can handle it. What I CAN'T figure out, is how to get the shell on the bone perfectly. I'm picturing scooping out a divot in the bone for the shell to lay in...hmmmm....what tool?! Glue...what glue?!
Anyone who's done this please chime in!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Nov 9, 2008 11:48 AM

Hey boss. Sweet stuff. Cut that inlay in so she sits flush and then use a two part epoxy - or my favorite.....superglue gel. Make sure the mating surfaces are rough and not polished so the glue can wurk. The epoxy will give you more time to adjust it or make small movements; the stupid glue gell will lock it right up. I use the stupid glue, but those NZ boys use an epoxy - I thinkee.

edit----

Oh yeah, I would use a small bud to cut in the inlay. Lay it over on its side so it tracks straight. Make the hole smaller than the shell and fit it slowly. My 2 cents.

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-11-09 17:39 ]

Thankx for the chime in there G$!
Just showing the progress along the way.
Here's another 20 minutes worth of effort.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Nov 12, 2008 5:38 PM

Looks beautiful man. Does the inlay fit nicely?

OF course not! HA. Needs tweaking.

B

I was gonna say to use a knife (hook?) to trace the inlay so you have a nice edge then use a bur to route out ll but the edges, then deepen the knife cut and use a small flat chisel to cut up to the line? Of course there are a zillion other ways to skin this cat! Lookin Great too!

S

Nice! Very cool that you are trying new things.

Hey Benzer! I started to do it that way first, but when I took the knife to it, it was REAL hard, as in, barely made a mark! So I went another route. Maybe I gave up too soon. I didn't try my mini chisels. Hmmm, next time I'll play with it.

Seeks! My man! I love ALL things Oceanica. But I am missin my wood chops. Need to get back to that soon. I'm still disappointed with the availability of big logs around here. I see you with these MONSTERS, and think GOD I gotta get one of those! I always wanted to carve a beast...and STILL haven't.
Hope you're thinkin 'bout Hukilau. Huuuuuuuuuuuuuukeeeeeeeeee-Lau!
June 09. :o

H
harro posted on Fri, Nov 14, 2008 6:34 AM

Surfin - way to crossover to the bone! that hook looks tops. Maybe one day I will have a go at some bone. Good luck getting that shell on there.

Thanks Harro for the chime in, and support!
Well, what an adventure it's been. It looked SO EASY. But what a mess. First the shell broke in half, I barely touched it! The stuff is extremely brittle. Figured I'd glue it in in 2 sections. Used epoxy, put too much on, where it blorped all over the place. Got on my fingers, and then it went everywhere. The epoxy caused some kind of reaction to the shell too, which made it crack and break in SEVERAL places. At this point I would of felt much more satisfaction throwing it at the wall.
Well next morning I sanded off all the excess glue, and it looks passable. It's only for me to wear, so no biggy. It's my first inlay, lotsa lessons learned, and only #2 for carved bone.
Soon I will get at GOOD 'OL LOGS O' WOOD.

Aloha me mates!

Quite nice Surfintiki. I do like nibblin' meat off da bones, but I can't
imagine carving it.

B

Well surfin guy you really ended up doing a great job with that piece'o' bone'n shell Especially for having to figure it out for the first time with ten peeps tellin you how to do it. Youi done really goood sunshine!
C'mon down here for some first hand lessons I'll screw yer mind up real quick, and once you get good and swirrily you will be able to do jest about anything you wanna do!, Serious, Come Oonnn dowwwwnnn.
The hook does really look good!

B

This bone looks very nice. Very neat. I can see you've spend a lot of time and attention.
Did I read you come back to woodcarving ? Happy Happy Happy

Benjamin.

Yo, Surfin'.. That piece is killer. The inlay looks beautiful!!

Dazzling piece. Beauty!

Conga! Thanks, it's funny, our dog chewed on this bone first! We both got something out of this bone.
Benella! Thanks. Oh yeah, got a million ideas, and 2 pieces of cedar getting good and dry for me.
Freddie B! Watsup chief! Mahalo bro.
Sneakytiki! Thanx, glad you like!
Ohhhhh Benz! That is a definite idea, coming down. Not so good on $ now though, will need to save NOW for Hukilau in June. I wanna get Swirly! Sherry will have to pick me up off the floor!
The hook looks better in person, actually...than in the crack revealing photos. I just had to finish 'er and MOVE ON! I wanna get to the wee-turtle, and the hammerhead, then back to wood.
ALOHA

S

Right On Surfin! way to come thru, so this stoner
thing is a bit of a challenge? Looks like you pulled it
off well buddy.

B

OK, You added photos after we commented and it Still looks Great. You gonna try to catch you a Mermaid with that? I Know whats goin on in that mind of yours.. :lol: :P :D

Seeks! Hey ya KOOK! I'm gonna harrass you til ya change your caption...ya kook! :P

B-Zer! Wow! What a colossal idea! I'm gonna make a mermaid catching hook! And use it at next Hukilau!
Yeaaaaaahhhh...gonna catch me a MERMAID!

Actually found some time to squeeze a little carvin time, before the year ends!
The wee little turtle, now has a wee little head. Just imagine he's a HUGE turtle, that's all!

See ya all next year!
alOHa

Very clean Honu, surfin!

Lot's of possibilities with the shell there!

Look forward to seeing what ya do with it!

Hope the new year is filled with glassy swell and offshore winds for ya!

I like it!

Thanks Lake, my good man. The weather here has just SUCKED, not thinking 'bout surfing here lately. How 'bout the next Hukilau be in Hawaii!!!
You've been cranking all year long man, you've been quite an inspiration to us all. Cheers to you in the new year!
Alohaaaaa...Danka! Hopefully I'll get back to it soon, with some detail.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jan 2, 2009 5:46 PM

That inlay looks gorgeous, nice work man :D

B

Hey Surfin, Glad you squeezed a bit of carving time in at the last minute of '08, setting the stage for Lots more in '09 I Hope. That turtle Is Tiny and Sweet, What else you gonna do to it before you ship it out to my house??? :P :P :o

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Jan 3, 2009 1:40 PM

Nice bonez surfin, diggin that little turtle.

Ahhhh thanx you .... you masters you.
I just wish I could give it my all. I don't improve my skills much when I spend so little time at it. Too much goin on, not enough time available. I'm hopin to step it up before summer.
Thanks Hewey, Benz, Paipo.

P

inlays are hard to do. takes lots of time and patience.

keep at it.

S

Nice, Nice Nice and even on the tiki mag.

Thanks to Lakesurfer for getting the thought process going.
Hmmmm what's THIS gonna be??

S

Spanking paddles or a tiki Croquet set! :) :) :)

Spanking paddles! Awesome. Ceremonial wahine paddling kit and accessories! Not this time Seeks. Woooo, thats a good one though.

BD

surfintiki, beautiful bone work. love the inlay you did. must take forever to finish a piece using the cat's tongue. does he have interchangable tongues with different grits?

bd

Thanx Big D! I have to wait til it gets warmer to get back to the bone stuff...need the outdoors for ventilation.
Wouldn't it be nice if the cat could do that? Like magic elves doing all the hard work at night!

Hey there, Brotha!! I'm gonna take a shot being that we kinda think alike~~~~ You gonna do a usable tiki mailbox?? :) Just a shot in the dark, Homes. ;D

My man FreddieB! Sooooo sorry! Good try and good idea.
Here's the next stage...

B

Surfin, Lookin good, what ever it is! You Definitely got the straight lines down pat too! :) :o

Plate holder, wall mounted coat rack, shelf bracket , lp album stand and a partiridge in a pear tree......

Just a wild guess...newspaper flatteners?

oops

[ Edited by: congatiki 2009-02-17 05:20 ]

B

I know, I know, I know !

The beautiful door of a tiki temple. Have I won it ? :wink:

Benjamin.

Dang! You guys just came up with a ton of good carvin ideas! Now get to work on 'em!!! Ha :wink:
Thanx Benzer.
TikiD- I'm not carvin no partridge!
Conga- how utilitarian!
Benella- half way there. I wanna thank Lake again for starting onto something different...love those tiki temples!
*** All will be unveiled tonight!! (it's really not THAT big of a deal!)
Last clue
This thing will be Jammin'!

C

I'm intrigued!

Geez, what was up with TC last night? Couldn't open anything. Seems to be sort of working today.
Hi Clarita!
Well here it is. Still gotta put on a coat of poly. Thanks all for checkin in.

:music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music:
:drink:

s U r F i N t i k i

[ Edited by: surfintiki 2009-02-17 04:40 ]

That's awesome Surfin', great idea.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1123 replies