Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Lake Tiki - 8/23/2013 - Red Cedar

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2,284 replies

Beautiful Vic's tribute, your Marquesan flatwork is some of my
most favorite stuff around here. You are a carving machine my
friend, keep cooking.

B

Agree with Conga, your Marq's Kick Butt! keep doing them.

Another great piece of art! Seriously, it's going to be hard to pick just one from you at Tiki Oasis. Look forward to meeting you, too, Lake.

M

Nice! Need to send them to their proper home here in Hawaii???

Lakes,TV's Marq panels are way kool!

Just eye-balled some of your thread.
Simply wonderful work. Love all of it.
Especially the Marquesas style.
Bravo!

A big mahalo to everyone for your kind compliments!

pappythesailor, conga, Benz, Tiki Kupcake, Mo-Eye Max, Watango and Iokona Ki'i, I really appreciate the feedback and support.

It is a real shame that progress had to take away the history of the International Market Place.

It is my goal when I carve a tribute to bring back the fond memory of Tiki's past.

B

Wonderful tribute lake.
Been diggin' the gope too.

Benjamin.

S

Looking great! I love how they look outside on the fence.
And the mirror image cool.
I see a large red buoy did you paddle back with that sucker?

T

I´ve been browsing in your thread again and again the past weeks. I really dig the panels you were creating the last years. They´ve got a lot of personality. Cool stuff.

Lake, I looked through your posts, some realy great stuf wih a high degree of detail! Nice!!!

Amy

Benjamin, thanks very much! I'm having a lot of fun with the Gope Boards and have some more things I want to try with them.

Seeks, thanks!

No, I didn't paddle in with that buoy, I found it washed up on the shore back in March and had to haul it home for the backyard. The light on top still works and is recharged by solar.
One of my favorite things in the yard!

tok-tok, thanks for stopping by, and I appreciate all the kind compliments!

Amy, many thanks also for taking a look at the new creations, and as always I really appreciate the compliments!

Getting back in the swing of things on Monday.

I've got some logs in the works this week since we've got some summer-like weather on tap.

1/4 scale Marquesan poles coming right up!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-06-15 01:00 ]

Yeah mang...Lake switching it up like a UFC/ Mixed Martial Arts warrior...PNG! :o ooooh Marquesan! :o pow Hawaiiiaaan-style! :o oooof Polynesian Potato Beetle-Tiki!! :o ugggg Voyagers & Huts!!! :o

You make it look easy Lake Tiki... Thor that hammer, chisels ring and flying chips to da moon! :D

LOGS! LOGS!! LOGS!!!

Jonesey!

Aloha Bruddah!

Mixing things up here faster than you can say "Wiki-wiki!"

Boards, logs, sticks... I'll make da kine out of it all. :)

Logs for sure... sanding a batch today to get ready fo da chips to fly!

Dave, I had to go back a bunch of pages to catch up... You've been busy! I'm liking all of the router & chisel work and different textures you've been mixing into your carvings. Great stuff, very inspiring!

Aaron

Aaron!

Thanks so much! Appreciate the kind comps!

Lots going on here, but nothing to photograph yet.

Doing up a smaller Marquesan Voyage right now, carving doubles and triples of some things that I've already done.
Basically just stocking up for events this summer.

I am still working out some desgins for some logs that I hope to get to by the end of the week.
They are all prepped and sanded after some hard labor Monday.
I need to stop by Woodcraft Wednesday and pick me up a new gouge for the new work that I'll be doing.

Wood this week is ash, cedar and birch.

C

On 2009-06-09 11:47, Lake Surfer wrote:
A few months back I was doing some sketches for new Marquesan work and one of the drawings jogged my memory.

Trader Vic's in the International Marketplace had these great Marquesan tikis hanging outside.

I remember being drawn to these tikis in a post that Gecko made many years ago before the Vic's was demolished.

I forgot about them until Max from Taboo Island posted a picture. That got me motivated again, and I set out to do a piece inspired by those tikis.

This pair each comes in at 24" H x 6.5" W.

I have plans to make a few larger ones also.

Wow beautiful! and I love the board, and the sign and, and.....

Many thanks Clarita!

Whew!

All of a sudden Summer has arrived here!

With a blazing sun and 86 degree air temp, it was a great day to get in the yard and start on some bigger projects.

I just picked up a new gouge the other day and have been looking forward to putting it through it's paces.

I've had some premier pieces of ash sitting around for the last couple of years waiting for the right carvings.

Here is a quarter scale Marquesan Pole I started today...

7" W x 42" H

Hope to wrap up carving Sunday, finishing moves on Monday!

B

Lake these are looking Great, Excellent detail with crisp lines all headed in the right direction.
Cool stuff!

Benz, many thanks for the comps on this guy!

I'm using a stubby gouge to do most of the carving and it took some getting used to, but it lends itself to some really sharp, clean cuts.

Ash itself is a great wood to carve and holds crisp cuts.

Put the wraps on this one last night...

42" H x 7" W

More logs on the way!

Really nice Lake, and you're faster than a speeding bullet. You
can probably leap tall buildings too.
I can't believe you knocked that one out in a weekend.

S

Gorgeous piece there Lake very sharp.

Many thanks Conga, and I imagine you won't believe the 3 - 10" twins to this that I knocked out Monday!

Not ash, though... cedar... which carves like butter with sharp tools, thus leading to a fast carve time.

They're drying out in the summer air tonight... wonderful weather for staining tikis!

As far as the buildings and the bullets... I'll leave those to the superheros. :wink:

Seeks, thanks much bruddah!

No waves here to distract me from my carving... I found myself mind surfing the 8 inch curls lapping up on the beach Sunday... it's been too long!

This weekend, I had the pleasure to create some new signage for Trader Vic's Chicago.
Check 'em out if you find yourself there someday.

A 2 day turnaround was a tough one, but I got 'em knocked out and they get delivered at 1pm Monday.

Restroom Signs

5 3/4" High x 15" Wide

Inside Entrance Sign
1/2" Deep Gold Leaf Lettering with Red Mahogany Finish

2" Deep x 7" High x 6' Wide

Outside Sign Next to the Barney West Tiki
1/2" Deep Gold Leaf Lettering with Dark Mahogany Finish

2" Deep x 6' High x 10" Wide Sign on a 9' 4" x 4" Pole.

Some brand new PNG inspired carvings on the table for this week!

Hope to share them soon!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-06-29 00:05 ]

Nice work!

Tiki Kupcake, thanks for stopping by, and I appreciate the compliment!

as always, beautiful work, dave. congrats on the trader vic's pieces. voyage of fatu hiva is awesome. see ya at oasis!

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2009-06-29 00:42 ]

SICK-ly SsweeetT Surf Signage, by LakeTiki! Geev'um cuz, your grooving the swell to become: "Barney West of da MidWest"!! 8) DAAAAAAMN YOUR GOOD! 8)

Bullet!

Good to hear from you!

Look forward to seeing you at Oasis, and thank you very much for the kind compliments on the latest batch of work.

Aloha Jonesey!

Shootz... plenty thanks for the props brudda!

Have to hit the road, Chicago bound!

Congrats on the trader vics pieces! The signs look great!

YOur carvings are off the hook lately - that pole is fantastic and the international marketplace inspired marquesian boards are really nice!

Congrat's Dave, that's really cool!

G

Lake,
Your work looks great, just fantastic!

T

Great work on the signs. They look awesome!

L

Trader Vic's should be honored to have your work! Excellent as always :)

Polynesiac, many thanks!

Just trying to keep things fresh and mixing it all up from week to week.

Lot's more in store in the month to come!

finkdaddy, Gremmie and TheBigT and leleliz... I appreciate all the kind compliments!

Thanks for stopping by!

S

Like you said must be a pleasure to make these for Trader Vic's.
To cool.

Lakes,great job on the signs.

Seeks, thanks my fellow woodchipper!

I hope to see them installed in their new home in a couple of weeks, that's the payoff right there. :D

Watango, many thanks for stopping by and for the compliment!

I just finished three new pieces inspired by a tiki in the Mai Kai. It is a PNG carving.

Hoping the clouds break up Thursday so I can get a good picture of one of them. We've been stuck in rain and clouds for 4 days here.

Cranked out three new PNG inspired pieces the other day... there is a large tiki like this in the indoor gardens at the Mai Kai.

Here is my take on him... I call him "Wewak."

6.5" W x 20" H

He's named after the capital city of East Sepik, PNG.

These will be among the special collection of work I'll be bringing to Tiki Oasis.

Look for more color in my next piece... a wall panel carving similar to a storyboard.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-07-03 05:27 ]

Wewak looks Sweet! How did you get the blue to standout like that? Color combo looks great.

:D ** All better now...thanks Lake! ** :D

Yeah, Wewak... he's one baaaad mutha #%$f&%#r...Hush, shutchyo mouth!! :wink:

Am I the only one viewing the broken link? (red-X/white box)
I wanna see a Wewak... :(

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

[ Edited by: TravelingJones 2009-07-05 04:03 ]

Tikilizard, many thanks!

Just a vibrant blue color I guess?

Jonesy!

Sorry about that!

You should be able to see him now... I went back and edited the photo, it was uploaded incorrectly as a cmyk image rather than a rgb.

More than likely the reason you couldn't see it, but it did appear on the post for me.

Look forward to your feedback!

C

Conga happy today....digging your latest Lake!

B

Nice stuff lake, you're Cruising right along and should have a full truck SOONQ

L

Oh I couldnt see him at 1st either..I am glad I came back to check.

Love your PNG style Lake.

Conga, Benz and Liz, thanks so much for the kind feedback!

Having a lot of fun with this new batch of work, lots of inspiration flowing.

Looking down the homestretch here towards San Diego... 6 weeks and counting.

Gonna be a busy month!

I've always been interested in all the other Oceania art styles, and recently have been reading up and studying them.

For my latest piece, I focused on Micronesia.

A little description of Micronesian art:

The Austronesian-speaking cultures of Micronesia and related Polynesian outlying islands in Micronesia and Melanesia tend to stratify more than the non-Austronesian cultures in New Guinea and other Melanesian areas. They are frequently organized around chieftainships with craft and ritual specializations, and their religions include named deities as well as honored ancestors. Characteristics such as simplification and geometric abstraction of natural forms often differentiate Micronesian art from the arts of Melanesia, Polynesia, and Australia.

My latest carving was inspired by storyboards on the island of Palau.

A description:

Belau Art (Caroline Islands)

Ceremonial Hous Storyboards:

The Belau islanders create elaborately painted men's ceremonial clubhouses called bai. On a recently constructed example, the gable "storyboards" illustrate important historical events and myths related to the clan. Other elements on the façade include symbols and images of Belau deities. While the Abelam and Iatmul make their ceremonial houses by elaborate combinations of different materials, the Belau use joined wooden elements.

Here's my storyboard... carved and hand painted,

12" W x 34" H

Because I love to create more work for myself, :wink: I'll be carving and painting some more pieces inspired by storyboards for my collection of work at Tiki Oasis!

Stop by and check 'em out!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-07-08 00:20 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2284 replies