Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Lake Tiki - 8/23/2013 - Red Cedar

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2,284 replies

T

The new carving is looking good already. Yep, looks like your planning a bunch of detail on it - can't wait to see!

Man, that's scary about the trimmer. Glad your're ok. It's amazing how fast those accidents happen. I cut the extension cord in half one trim with my trimmer! The sparks did fly...

S

Nice cut, nice lono. Looking good as usual and busy you are.

Just back from surf trip waves sucked but got in lots of fishing and sun.

BigT, thanks much!

Power tools demand respect!

Cutting the cord, that sounds spooky. This was a gas trimmer, so at least I wouldn't electrocute myself. :wink:

Seek, sucky waves are better than no waves at all. And no waves is what we have here.
Fish and sun are also good, glad you had a good time in spite of the surf!

Thanks for the props on the Lono... here he is all finished...

Actually, I put the wraps on 6 different pieces tonight. And got half finished with my new display walls for vending events.

More to come...

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 15, 2008 11:28 PM

Damn you!! Quit making GROG buy stuff!

That Lono is SHARP!!!!

that lono is soo sharp, i bet that is what you actualy cut your arm with

K
Kahu posted on Wed, Jul 16, 2008 3:59 PM

Sweet Lono!

And dang Lake, sorry to see that about your arm. ouch!

Thanks guys for the compliments!

Grog, this is only scratching the surface. I'm being a bit secretive with my latest work, wish I was able to do Oasis this year so you could see the whole lot.
I will also have some very cool new stuff at the Tiki Mag show, and will be there in person as I'm buying my tickets tonight!

tikithomas08 and Kahu thanks for your kind words! The arm is healing well and I expect to have the stitches out by Sunday. Hard to believe a week flew by already!

I've got some stuff that is drying and that I'm doing finishing work on. One of those pieces is the Marquesan ceremonial paddle, I will get pics of it outside Thursday during the day.

Today I finished up my new displays for vending. I'm excited to use them for the first time. That'll be this Sunday at Chef Shangra-la in the Chicago area!

Paddle should be up late afternoon Thursday...

I've decided that vacations make me lazy.

I had a great work ethic all the way up to Hukilau. I got back from a week and a half away from the tools and it took forever to pick them back up.

Technically, many "around the house" projects took priority before carving did, so that is part of the reason for the lapse.

But I'm good to go again, and today's high humidity and 90 degree temps were great to work in.

I like it hot. I will never complain about it being too hot here, because 9 months out of the year it is winter, or at least very close to it.

So, with new found efficiency, here are some new pieces...

The Marquesan ceremonial paddle, all finished up.

A new double Marquesan wallhanging

And since I have a bunch of new shows coming up, I figured I'd better get back to some freestanding tikis to round off the merch.

I was nice to swing the mallet around again, been doing a lot of wall pieces this year.

The start...

After an hour...

After 1 1/2 hours... time to clean up as darkness sets in and the man eating mosquitos come out

I'm hoping to really crank on this guy Friday and get it done for the Chef show Sunday.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2008-07-17 22:03 ]

2 foot Marquesan started and finished today between 3 pm and 7 pm...

Can't stop now!

Cripes sakes Lake. You work too friggin hard. Chill. Take the girl out for dinner and a stroll. Enjoy life there Lake, have a beer, you deserve it.
Your flagged. Limit. one tike a day. Dammit.

Damn, born today, and yet it looks 100 years old. Nice!!!

surfing Dave,

I gotta pick up the slack while you're out there catching waves all weekend. :wink:
Gotta keep busy here, keeps my mind off the flat water. Hopefully the trip to SoCal in September will make up for this miserable year.

Bill,

Thanks man, I've been watching your thread lately. You're cranking them out fast and furious!
Love your style... clean!

B

Lono: amazing,
Tang: fantastic,
Wallhanging marq: top shelf,

4 hours born marq: Crazy !

Is there something in the tiki world you can't do perfectly ?

P.S: I'm waiting for the big hawaiian guy you've begun :) :) :)

Benjamin.

Benjamin,

Thanks very much, good to hear from you!

Your work is progressing nicely, good to see you cooking on multiple tikis!

I don't know if I'm doing things perfectly, but with much practice comes perfection eventually. I just try my best to capture all the diversity there is in Oceanic Art.
All the island's cultures are fun to explore. Doing some pieces for the first time is frustrating, until you figure out how to carve them. I really enjoy the challenge, and the next time you do them they are just a bit easier.

B

Lake, This is a bunch of Really nice Stuff. Love the neww standing tiki but the Lono was Killer. Tons of personality and great detail in a thin board. Nice work and good luck at the shows.

You are tearin it up Lake!! I want to add some of your stuff to "the Blowhole"
one of these days.

Benz,

Thanks much for your compliments! I'm trying to push the limits of that 2-D plane, to get it to look as three dimensional as possible. Time, and more practice will get me there, for now I'm really enjoying the process. When I'm not carving, I'm thinking about carving. Kind of gotten to be an addiction. :wink:

Thanks for the good wishes for the shows, next weekend will be interesting as I try to bring tiki to the Cheeseheads here at the beach. :wink:

Spermy, thanks bruddah! I'd be honored to be part of the collection at "the Blowhole" someday.
Hope you can make it down for the opening night of the Tiki Magazine Planet Rooth show in September!
I'll be there live and in person for the opening, then catching some waves the rest of the week between Newport and HB.

A huge, huge thank you to all who came out and supported me with their purchases at the Chef Shangri-la on Sunday!

Even those of you who took time to say hi and check out my new work, thank you! Your feedback is well appreciated!

It was a really fun event, and thanks also to Suzie and all the staff at Chef Shangri-la, The Vastas, Dave Krys and his lovely wahine, The Bikini Beachcombers, The Cocktail Preachers and everyone else who helped make this weekend possible!

Looking forward to seeing the Chicago Ohana in August and at other Midwest tiki events!

Back to work this week as I've got 50 idols to carve in prep for this weekend's Bradford Beach Jam here in Milwaukee.
I have to get the 5 foot Hawaiian guy done too before the weekend!

So, back to carving!

(replaced with a nicer picture than my own, thanks to BambooLodge!)

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2008-07-26 01:27 ]

S

Lake the 2 foot Marquesan is sick!
Looks old and scary yes sir-ie.

Have a big guy in the works GREAT!

Aloha seeks!

Thanks man, that little Marq went to a new home last Sunday in Chicago. I had grown attached to him in the time I knew him, but he's in a good home.

Its been a busy week, and I'm still getting ready as I type for a weekend long show here at the beach in Milwaukee.
But I wanted to show this guy, I was able to get it finished along with some other smaller tikis and 40 some hand carved pendants.
A lot of late nights this week... and I'm beat... sore arms and sore back. I'll have ample time this weekend to relax a bit and take in the sights at the beach as I show my work. :)

This guy has got a little something special in his headress...

He holds a little idol for the owner to wear!

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Jul 25, 2008 2:09 AM

On 2008-07-21 09:00, Lake Surfer wrote:

Back to work this week as I've got 50 idols to carve in prep for this weekend's Bradford Beach Jam here in Milwaukee.
I have to get the 5 foot Hawaiian guy done too before the weekend!

So, back to carving!

50 idols? What the hell? I've been posting here over 2 years now and I'm still 3 shy of that.
I dig that little guy Lake - I haven't seen enough of your small stuff.

J

Nice idea! Now do you have to carve 50 big tikis to hold the 50 pendants? Only 49 more to go.

Well I went back the 5 or so pages I missed since last I checked it and I'm loving the new stuff.

The big boat is KILLER.

i like the hidden tiki idea ala crazy al'!!

Paipo, they are nice little guys, but nowhere near the beautiful pendants you create.

They are price point carvings and the kids love them, I just make lots of them 'cause they are popular and sell pretty good.

I hate keeping count, especially when I have them all lined up for sanding and I realize how many more I have to finish. :roll:

Thanks on the small stuff compliment, I guess I don't do enough of it to really show. Small frustrates me, mainly because I haven't found the right tools for me to do what I want to do.
But I'll keep on trying it and will eventually get it figured out.

JohnnyP, why make more work for myself?!? :wink:

No, a one time thing I wanted to try out, I kept looking at that diamond shape and thinking about doing something with it.

Thanks much Flat Black! I guess I've been busy lately. :wink:

Tipsy, yep, definately Crazy Al inspired.... Gecko too, as he did a few big tikis with either mugs or smaller tikis in the headress. Always something I wanted to try, and I was doing so many little idols this week that it was all I could think about. This pine log had such nice grain that I went back to a light clear coat of rub on poly to show off the wood too.

In other news... I decided to bail out on the rest of the weekend vending at the Beach Jam.

Not much of a crowd, and no one interested in tikis. Best to cut out early and enjoy the rest of my weekend.

K
Kahu posted on Sat, Jul 26, 2008 8:43 PM

I like to think that you are just saving more for the people at the Hot Rod Hula Hop!!

A
AKUAE posted on Sun, Jul 27, 2008 5:59 AM

Hi Lake Surfer
great pics and great Tikis
i love the stain and the lines of the last big one
cheers
Akuae

On 2008-07-26 20:43, Kahu wrote:
I like to think that you are just saving more for the people at the Hot Rod Hula Hop!!

Kahu, you know it! :wink:

Working my way right up to the event! Lot's of surprises in store yet!

Akuae, thanks very much! I did this last one up "old school" Lake Tiki. Bit of sanding, bit of burning, bit of staining all adds up to the final package you see here.

Nearly a year later, I finally got big brother to my last tiki done.

He's got a place of honor in our newly landscaped yard.

This week he also gets a spotlight to show him off at night.

Comes in at a bit over 6 feet tall.

More new stuff in the works, but first have to get some boat orders done for HRHH.

He's a beast Lake! How much does he way?

Very nice. Will he stay outside during the winter?

S

Great job lake! this sucker is taller than the fence!
Looks like pine?

surfin: Sure is! I figure he's still 200-250 lbs. I can dead lift him, and that's what it took to get him up on his perch.
He's the last of some prime cuts I kept from a fresh cut 50 foot yellow pine.

A.S.: thank you! For now the plan is to leave him outside, even through the winter, as much as it pains me. I have another 5 footer that wintered outside last year, and was no worse for wear. This guy is too big to fit in the house so if I do notice winter taking it's toll, he'll winter in the garage. I've got so many tikis inside already, some have just got to stay outdoors. :wink: I did always want some large guys out in the yard though.

seeks: thanks much! He is a bit taller than the fence, even cut down. The original height was 9 feet, I took the 3 off to make it more stable and keep it out of the neighbor's sight. I wasn't sure what the final outcome of our landscaping would become as I carved it last year, and with his home on the berm 6 foot was tall enough.

The 3 feet will become a tiki stool order that I have.

Pine is correct... Yellow pine, and quite soft, even still after a year of seasoning.

New Marquesan piece. About 18" wide by 10 1/2" high. Debuting at the Hot Rod Hula Hop next weekend.
A few variations on this also. This picture looks like hell, the sun was really bright and washed it out. Have to re-shoot it later.

Using up some odd sized pieces of wood I have.

Yesterday the log fairy came to visit. This beast weighs at least 400 lbs.

Not sure exactly what it is... carves like a Basswood almost. But I know its not Basswood. Cottonwood maybe?

Going to be a challenge to carve when I get to it. Some potential takers, a few friends that are thinking of buying a large tiki for their yard.
I'll wait to see who bites first... I've got enough tikis! :wink:

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-03-22 00:52 ]

Enough tikis? ACK! Carve onward my man! You have evolved into a fine carver indeed.

Thanks JT. :)

That big log will probably end up in the backyard tiki collection too, it's hard to let go of some creations.

Especially the big ones that we toil over.

Getting some more stuff photographed for the portfolio...

Triple Marquesan Mini Post

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2008-08-03 12:07 ]

C

Always great stuff here, really like your BIG aloha tiki and the
triple stacker has a nice vintage feel. Good to see that you have plenty of
raw material so you can stay busy.

You are on a tear! That big log looks very inviting.

Conga and Aloha, thanks guys!

Conga, I'm starting to put a dent in my supply of wood, I've been sitting on a good deal of stock up until this summer when I lost my main log supplier.
I have to find out what he's up to at his new job and whether or not I can get logs from him in the future.
Got lucky and had this log come to me from my brother-in-law... the other half of the little canoe I made.

A.S., can't stop now. I've got tons of stuff all ready to go to the Hot Rod Hula Hop this weekend! New exposure, and I'm excited to show my stuff!
The big log does call to carvers, it called me a few times when I walked out the backdoor today, but it is going to have to wait until I get some more pressing things done first.

One of them is this guy... Hawaiian Style, and nearly done. I started it yesterday evening and have been cranking away at it. Around 18 inches tall I think and made of cedar.

J

Neat stuff comeing from the other side of the great inland sea.

S

Dam Lake you so busy! Looking good on the carves and
the big log whoo.

Good weekend of surf in but no carving.

Johnny,

Thanks man... make that the other side of the FLAT great inland sea.

Surf starved!

Seeks,

Thanks!
Wayyy to busy. Arms are starting to hurt. Wish they were hurting from paddling a surfboard.
Good to hear you scored some over the weekend!

Been a few weeks...

Had a great time at the Hot Rod Hula Hop!

Thanks to everyone who took home a Lake Tiki creation or stopped in to check out my work and say hi!

Spent some downtime doing some research and recharging the batteries a bit.

Had a small show at the beach again last week, made a few sales this time. :)

The Tiki Magazine art show is up next...

Here's a little peak at part of "The Fatu Hiva Collection"

Making final travel plans to be at the Forbidden Island Parking Lot Sale the day after the Tiki Mag Show. :)

Looking forward to seeing the NorCal Ohana!

H

SWEEEET! Lovin' all the detail. You gonna have some mini-marq paddlers in that vessel? It'll look fabulous with or without them.

Now we're talkin'. Lakesurfer comes up with something to get excited
about. Looks like this is going to be a beautiful addition to an aready
enviable collection of work. I really love what your are doing with
your flat work, the designs are wonderful. Wish I had your patience.
Go Lake!

Hell yeah! Looking forward to your visit to Forbidden Island. Hope you have some Lake art for us to fondle.

Thanks Brad, over the top with this one. I'm really honored to have a place in this year's show, and I will not disappoint.
This boat will have all the bells and whistles, lots of extra special touches to make it a real one of a kind collectible.

Conga, you're too kind. Thanks for the compliments! Patience, I find it calming. The more detail the better, I like to call it "in the zone."

JT, thanks! I'm really looking forward to it! There will be art to fondle.

A peek at another piece that is in progress...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2284 replies