Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Lake Tiki - 8/23/2013 - Red Cedar

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2,284 replies

Great work on the storyboards. Is there gonna be a story?
The combination of wood structure and flat color works beautifully.

Thanks so much for the kind compliment Grapa-RuHa!

I'm taking bits of the stories and creating individual boards for them, so they will tell pieces of the full stories.

I've found painting to be a nice relaxing close to my new pieces after the physical nature of wood carving, having a lot of fun with it lately.

L

Lord...now its a toss up..the Tiki Temples or the Storyboards which ones do I like better.....

great work as always. Love how diverse you are with your carvings. Really creative Lake!

B

MAn Lake, you are gonna have a Booth FULL of Beautiful stuff. I Love it when you make More work for yourself, it Always turns out Great!

COOL storyboard, Lake! I love it. I hope Benz is right- may your booth be overflowing!!!

Andy
http://tikijoesocean.com

leleliz, thanks for your kind compliments!

The South Pacific covers a lot of territory and a lot of different cultures.

Exploring them in different ways and at different times keeps it all fresh and new... keeps burnout at bay. :wink:

Benz, thanks for swinging on by to check out the new stuff! I really appreciate the compliments and the vote of confidence!
After it all, I'm looking forward to August as a chance to kick back and relax!

Andy, many mahalos!

The booth will be overflowing for sure. I still have to do a dry run here at the end of July to figure out how to display it all.

Production mode here now, taking a little break from new work to do some inventory work. Pieces I've done before go a little faster than figuring out new ones, so I'll be cranking along here for a couple weeks doing Gope Boards, Kona Style tikis and some more Marquesan work.

I've also got a few irons in the fire for the Chef Shangri-la event at the end of this month. Some special work created just for that.

S

The Micronesia story board is looking fabulous its so tight and clean.
THe PNG big guy is great also love the colors and how you captured a
big fella sp well.

Do the big lakes get any summer waves? I will be heading
out to the coast this weekend with the NW Pole, sould be fun.

Aloha Seeks!

Many thanks bruddah, for the kind words!

Makes the blood, sweat and slivers all worthwhile. :wink:

Summer is a toss up here... this year has been flat due to the screwed up weather in this part of the country.

Typically, Spring and Fall are the best for windswells with more powerful storms, and winter for the hearty of souls.

In years past, we've gotten some fun summer waves on the backside of coldfronts coming down from Canada.

Usually, this is the only time you can skin it with summer water temps ranging from 65 - 75 degrees.

By early September, we get a turnover and it is back to the wetsuits.

Best of luck chasing the summer swells, I hope to get some water time when we head out to Oasis in August!

C

That story board idea it's SO great, and it turned out totally beautiful! Perfection... sigh...

Many thanks, Clarita for the kind compliment!

Being my own worst critic, I'm sure I could find flaws with it, but calling it perfection is very kind of you.

I can say that I do my best to strive for perfection in every piece I do.

Thanks for stopping by!

T

Man, you continue to roll out the cool stuff! Love the wewak and the storyboard. Great colors on both of those. Are they finished in a protective topcoat of any kind?

TheBigT, many thanks for your kind words!

Just brushing off the sawdust to respond to your question, then it is back to the studio!

I give many of my pieces different finishes to look aged, these range from washes to dry brushings, but none have any sort of coating on them.

Of course, if they were to be displayed out of doors I make exceptions to the finishes to make sure that they hold up to the elements.

T

On 2009-07-13 13:39, Lake Surfer wrote:
TheBigT, many thanks for your kind words!

Just brushing off the sawdust to respond to your question, then it is back to the studio!

I give many of my pieces different finishes to look aged, these range from washes to dry brushings, but none have any sort of coating on them.

Of course, if they were to be displayed out of doors I make exceptions to the finishes to make sure that they hold up to the elements.

Ah, very interesting to know. Thanks!

L

Hello Lake!

Always so studious and pointed in your research on the art of the Pacific...
Continues to make me dream!

I'm late but your marq pole is too WOW!!!

J.

Big T, you're quite welcome!

Aloha Jérôme!

Many thanks for your kind words!

I probably spend more time researching than carving, but I love to know the stories behind the why and what in Oceanic Art.

There's always a story behind the pieces, and the stories are fascinating!

Only weeks before our debut at Tiki Oasis 2009, Lake Tiki will have a special collection of work from this year's "South Pacific Secrets" at Chef Shangri-La's Anniversary Party!

Stop by and check it all out this Sunday afternoon!

Hand carved and hand painted tiki decor for your walls, freestanding tikis and hand carved tiki idols will all be available for purchase.

Look forward to seeing everyone this Sunday to celebrate Chef Shangri-La... wishing the owners and the staff many, many years of success!!!!

S

Very cool! If money and time where not such a constraint
Id be there!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2015-03-22 12:19 ]

I finally had the time to patrol this whole thread.... then I did it again... Bravo.. super clean, consistent and BEAUTIFUL. Love em all. Thanks for post all the different carvings.

PalmCityTiki, thanks a ton for the kind compliment!

I love the variety... there's so much to do and so much more I'd like to do in the future.

Good to see you back here again, you do some fine work yourself!

lake,

very nice work on the tangaroa mask. i like that very much. as always, a job very well done.

bd

big daddy, thanks very much!

I appreciate the feedback!

Something new on the carving table... new update soon!

Hey Lake!
Great new crop of work lately!
the WekWak is KILLIN it!
that storyboard and new Tang kick serious butt too!
great paint job
it spices up the wood and gives it bit of pop!
Wonderful! wonderful!

B

Lake, I Love that Tang Mask, the paint job Really sets it off. Now Back to work with you!

Aloha Ken!

Many, many thanks for the compliments!

Good to see you here, thanks for stopping by!

Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks at Oasis!

Benz, thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate the props!

I'm loving the paint lately, lots of fun!

Yes, back to work with me!

This one was one of the more challenging pieces I've done this year.

It was at the bottom of the stack of pieces I've had since June, and I've finally reached the bottom.

A few more ideas to get out, then I'm done until after Oasis. Time to start packing things up!

Started last night on this buggah, and finished it up late morning today.

This piece had some pretty deep cuts for the depth of the wood, so working in layers was a must until I felt the depth was just right.

Kalalau Ku

10.5" W x 23" H x .75" D

Going to be hard letting go of this one... but he is Oasis bound and will hopefully find a new home.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-07-22 17:59 ]

S

Well you did him fine. Looks Fantastic.

Keep me updated about you being around the NW.
Id make a point to pick you guys up and take you to the
BOG for a camp-out.

Many thanks, Seeks!

I shall keep you updated on travel plans, I've never been in that part of the country.

Great stuff, Lake. I hope you're gonna bring some to Ohana. :wink:

pappythesailor, thanks so much for the compliment!

I do hope to be able to make it to Ohana, it looks to be a very fun event.

your work has great detail, really love it!

Amy

More beautiful stuff Lake, you really have it down with these wall pieces.
If these aren't a hit at Oasis....sumtin is really wrong.

Lake,Awesome stuff as usual daddyo!
Cheers Watango

Amy, thanks for stopping by, and thanks for the kind compliment!

Hope to see you in a few weeks in San Diego!

Conga, my Northern friend, good to see ya in these parts!

Thank you for the kind comments. This one was a lot of fun to watch evolve.
I'm looking forward to showing this year's work at Oasis. I think there is something like 80 pieces ready to make the trip West.

My booth will be jam packed with carved goodies!

Watango, thanks for stopping by!
Glad you like the latest offering!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-07-23 20:36 ]

I was in the Chicago area for the Chef Shangri-La party on Sunday, and afterwards took a drive downtown to check out how my signs looked.

Here's some pictures of them...

This is in front of the building that houses Vic's. For some reason, my sign is in place of the Barney West tiki, though on my last visit they said that the tiki was rotting from the inside. I shared some tips on repairing him, so hopefully that is why he is missing right now. I hope he returns.

Here's the 7 foot sign that I did for the entrance. The letters were painted in gold leaf.

Getting down with some commissions here, as my carving for Oasis is all wrapped up.

Next up is some custom work for Foundation Tiki Bar, but I'd like to share this guy with you...

This is a custom piece for Michael "Bargoyle" Sullivan.

The "Lonogoyle" will be watching over his "Lono Lounge."

Lonogoyle stands 36" tall and has a 30" wingspan.

This guy was a lot of fun to make, and offered some new challenges, namely the wings.
They are drilled and pegged and I'll be gluing them together today.

Foundation Tiki Bar is up next!

kool pic's lake,lonogoyle is way kool as well.
Cheers Watango

T

Wow Lake, the sings look really great. It must be pretty cool to ride down the street and see stuff that you made hanging up for all to see.

Gold leaf, huh?? (hmmm... jotting down really cool idea...) :D

Watango, many mahalos!

Appreciate the compliments!

Big T, thanks!

More than anything else, its the honor of being featured in a well known tiki establishment like Trader Vic's.

Its a really neat feeling making and then seeing those signs there.

One last piece before Oasis... finished up a commission for Swanky's new home tiki bar.

Thanks for the opportunity to be a part of your creation, Tim!

Here's one of the pieces, a new Marquesan mask modeled after the tikis in Trader Vic's Munich.
Thanks for the inspiration also, Swanky.

Tahuata

9" W x 11" H

That's it. Time to start packing!

I have a lot of work heading to Tiki Oasis.

Something for everyone! Over 80 pieces of handmade tiki goodies!

So stoked to be a part of this year's event!

Please stop by and say "Aloha!"

See you in San Diego!

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Aug 3, 2009 8:23 AM

Looking forward to gettign it mounted on the bar!

Thanks Dave!

Last One before Oasis!???

C'mon! One More!

Aloha Swanky!

Your tikis shipped out this morning, you should have them this week!

Many thanks again!

Ken!

You're killing me!

Actually, today will be spent doing a "dry run" of my booth set-up.
Made a $70 run to Menard's for pegboard, chain and more j-hooks.

Boxing resumes tonight also.

My arms, hands and chisels will enjoy the rest!

L

C'mon! One More!

Yes you can!!!!

Maybe time to eeek out one more....

B

Nice looking piece for the Swank lake!

Looking good Lake! Have fun in SD.

You da man!

Benz, thanks for stopping by and thanks for the props!

Tikimec, many thanks!
I am looking forward to a vacation!
Hope things are well with you!

BK, good to see you 'round these parts again!

Many thanks... but "you da man!" :wink:

Setting sail!

See you at Tiki Oasis!

[ Edited by: lake surfer 2009-08-07 19:31 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 2284 replies