Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Kirby's Rumpus Room 10yrs. & still going strong!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,508 replies

I'm gonna come and try out another koktail kreation on the unsuspecting tonight. Rumpus Room is a tough crowd, but I'm a glutton for punishment!

TT

Rumpus Room Pix from 1/20/2010...

Another fun night at the Rumpus Room with everyone who dared to brave the wet weather!

Kahuna Kent presented us with a tasty concoction made with kumquat liqueur and we got to try his homemade pimento dram. Manuel brought in some bottles of black pepper, sesame, and lemongrass syrup. We all really liked the lemongrass and I had the chance to make another tasty drink worth writing down, the Phuket Phizz (thanks for the help with the naming Kahuna Kent and Sherriyaki).

Kirby spent most of the evening switching out bulbs to get the lighting just perfect, but I have to say it looked better when he was done. If he needs a second job, I think he could work as a theater lighting tech.

I especially love Kirby's creative use of paper umbrellas at the bottom of the ceiling light (see Tonga Tom's pic above).

Stay dry, stay safe, and cultivate your thirst for next week's adventures!

G

Is there a get-together this Wednesday?
I would really like to check out the Rumpus Room.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jan 25, 2010 4:58 PM

EVERY Wednesday, unless posted otherwise. Bring some limes.

G

Can someone PM me directions?

I'm making lemongrass syrup right now so we will have plenty for Wednesday. Gonna make more Phuket Phizz!

I have work to do, so I'll probably have to split early, but not before we mix a few and sample a new bottle of Thomas and Leopold Dark Rum I just picked up.

P.S. Don't worry, Kelly, I'm bringing the St. Germains!

that's dark rum?
:o

It makes me think that Thomas and Leopold are as pale as Edgar and Johnny Winter.

Anyway I had a great time at the Rumpus Room last night and I hope to be a regular at the events of the future.

Here's some pics from last night. Welcome to the Rumpus Room TC member geedavee. We missed you Kelly!

[ Edited by: TongaTom 2010-01-28 12:38 ]

K
kirby posted on Thu, Jan 28, 2010 3:59 PM

sweet pics tom!!

Kirby!! The R. R. Tiki turned out f'in Great! HipHiPaHulA!! Dude!! I miss you guys!!!

K

Love the finished Tiki, Kirby. It turned out great! Still need to add some finishing touches to my Tiki Bob. I'll get over to the Rumpus Room one of these Wednesdays!

K
kirby posted on Wed, Feb 3, 2010 8:09 AM

Thanks krisdrama, We would love to hang with you at the rumpus room, stop on by!!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 3, 2010 10:25 AM

C U 2 nite.

On 2010-01-27 16:42, Trader Tom wrote:
I have work to do, so I'll probably have to split early, but not before we mix a few and sample a new bottle of Thomas and Leopold Dark Rum I just picked up.

P.S. Don't worry, Kelly, I'm bringing the St. Germains!

no Jeff but we do MIX drinks ..

I will be there bit a little late I have to work at the Tonga Hut fillin' a shift but I'll Be There YAY!!

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Feb 3, 2010 12:01 PM

Kelly -

I'll be stopping by the Tonga Hut this afternoon after work.

-gotta raise a toast to Dottie and get another couple of grog logs under my belt!!

See you later. G

I have another concoction to try out on the gang tonight.

TT

Yeah, the Thomas and Leopold was a bit of a disappointment. Obviously it's more gold than dark, but I was hoping for something a little tastier. However, it mixes well and the bottle is really nice. I'll keep it to put syrups in after the booze is gone.

I will be there tonight, but just for a short visit to say hi. I'm behind in my writing so I'll have to go early so I can make my deadlines.

The faster I get this dissertation done, the sooner I'll be able to crack open my bottle of Goslings's Family Reserve Old Rum which I've been holding back for a celebration and which I'm much more certain will live up to the hype!

G

I can't make it this week, but I am shooting for getting out there every other week.

Have fun.

Wow...can't believe that's the tiki you were working on at the TikiG's chop! Turned out great....and I'll make it to the RR soon!

On 2010-02-03 16:32, Trader Tom wrote:
Yeah, the Thomas and Leopold was a bit of a disappointment. Obviously it's more gold than dark, but I was hoping for something a little tastier. However, it mixes well and the bottle is really nice. I'll keep it to put syrups in after the booze is gone.

I will be there tonight, but just for a short visit to say hi. I'm behind in my writing so I'll have to go early so I can make my deadlines.

The faster I get this dissertation done, the sooner I'll be able to crack open my bottle of Goslings's Family Reserve Old Rum which I've been holding back for a celebration and which I'm much more certain will live up to the hype!

Tom,
I've tried that stuff from a special reserve at a so. cal. tiki bar.
It is truly amazing stuff.
here is to you finishing your work.

Jeff(btd)

TT

Here's some shots (not the boozy kind) from 2/3/2010. There were more people than usual including more than half of Tikiyaki Orchestra who stopped by throughout the night. This was nice, since many of us didn't get to see them up at Trader Vic's last weekend (which looked like amazing fun..thanks posters!). We all had a blast! Here's a document of the evening...

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 5, 2010 10:16 AM

Jim with his usual "Happy Face".

And proof that Jim CAN smile. It looks like he's constipated, but it's still a smile.

The ghost of Jeremy was at the Rumpus Room.

Good Times at the Rumpus Room :D
I look forward to many more!

See you at the R. R. Tomorrow. I'll be early! New cocktail recipes in hand. Don't forget ya need to bring a couple limes & lemons. Any booze is greatly appreciated :)

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 10, 2010 9:48 AM

No GROG tonight. GROG caught cold. (Damn you Marty Lush!) Have fun.

Hope Grog feel mo better soon!

GROG need go Rumpus room to drink more Alcohol...it kill germs.

K
kirby posted on Wed, Feb 10, 2010 4:46 PM

That sucks Grog,We will miss you tonight!!

PLEASE DONATE TO THE ANGEL'S SHARE

What is the Angel’s Share?

Over time, rum seeps through the grain of its oak barrels and evaporates into the open air. The evaporating alcohol is called the “Angel's Share,” alluding to the belief that guardian angels watch over the rum as it ages and, that occasionally they help themselves. However, these angels are said to guarantee that what they leave behind is of the finest quality. They make sure the rum never turns bad, or worse, runs out.

How does this affect me?

Every week, in the Rumpus Room, Kelly takes stock of our rum. We’ve noticed a disturbing trend, that the angels have been taking more than their usual share. What’s worse, they’ve been drinking the good stuff.

How can I help?

Limes are always welcome, but money to replenish our rum is also appreciated. Remember, these Tiki drinks usually have at least two ounces of rum each, not to mention other varying amounts of quality homemade syrups and liquors that cost money. You’d pay $8-12 anywhere else for these drinks. Please tip accordingly so we can continue to bring you top-notch cocktails instead of Bacardi and Kool Aid. Or, ask us what we need, and bring a bottle for next time. We’ve pushed to stock Lemonheart Rum, St. Germain’s Liqueur, Senior’s Curacao, and several other premium alcohols to make quality drinks. We are in pretty good shape right now, however… PLEASE DONATE TO ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:

• Cash to make sure what’s in stock stays in stock.

** For this week, we NEED a bottle of orgeat and a big bottle (1.75 liters preferred) of Malibu Rum. We go through these for the Jungle Jetsetters that are so popular.

*** Rums that we do not have on the shelf, but WOULD LIKE to stock include:
• Angosotura 1919 Premium ($35 usually)
• Cruzan Estate Single Barrel ($28 usually)
• Flor de Cana Centenario Gold 18 ($40 usually)
• Mount Gay Extra Old ($40 usually)
• Meyers Legend ($50 usually)
• Sea Wynde ($40 usually)

**** Liqueurs that we do not have on the shelf, but WOULD LIKE to stock include:
• Benedictine ($31 usually)
• Canton ($25 usually)
• Chartreuse Green ($26 usually)

THANK YOU ! See you at the Rumpus Room !!!

On 2010-02-16 09:53, Trader Tom wrote:

** For this week, we NEED a bottle of orgeat and a big bottle (1.75 liters preferred) of Malibu Rum.  We go through these for the Jungle Jetsetters that are so popular.  

:) :) :)

T

Whew!
For a moment Tom, I thought you were soliciting for some touchy-feely charity...

Darn those pesky angels anyway...

Well, we just bought a bottle of orgeat, so we'll bring that on Wednesday! (Can you hold out until 8.15? We'll be getting there about that time.)

Cool. We can hold out for Orgeat that long I think.

More good news. I finished my first draft of my dissertation and am a third of the way through my revision, so I'm much closer to opening that bottle of Goslings Old Family Reserve I promised myself when I finish. I figure I'm still 2-3 weeks away. That'll be a tasty one!

See you at the Rumpus Room.

CJ

Isn't it Kirby's birthday on Friday??

Yes!!

Join us for Kirby's Mai Tai Birthday Meeting!!

Happy Birthday Kirby!!!

Thanks Tom, them damn Angels!!

M
Murph posted on Wed, Feb 17, 2010 1:27 PM

Dang, I've got to miss the Birthday Bash.
On a red eye to St Louis, MO.
Anyone know if there's any Tiki in St. Loui?

Happy Birthday Kirby!

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Feb 17, 2010 2:10 PM

Early Happy Birthday Kirby!

Unfortunately for me, I can't attend tonight's Birthday drink session at the Rumpus Room either...

I'll be there in spirit, of course. I'm counting down full moons until my next visit to paradise in the foothills of La Crescenta (hopefully only one or two :wink:)

Murph, I'm afraid there's not much Tiki in St. Louis these days. The Mainlander used to be there, so occasionally people score some nice mugs or paper items from back in the heyday. However, you might want to check out this microbrewery:

http://www.squareonebrewery.com/our_distilled_spirits.htm

Their "Green Flash Rum" sounds interesting and they've gotten some good press.

Have a good trip.

Sooo...I made some rather strong black pepper syrup for tonight. Not sure what else I'll be able to lay my hands on, but I should be able to get over there around 7-7:30.

K
kirby posted on Wed, Feb 17, 2010 4:40 PM

Yup.. Happy birthday to me!!Mahalo's

J
JOBU posted on Wed, Feb 17, 2010 6:03 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIRBY!

Sorry, that Bobbie and I are going to miss again Tonight
I've been juggling some late hours this month...
We should be there next week!

JOBU

TT

Here's some pics from Kirby's Birthday Edition at the Rumpus Room.
Kirby received an awesome original illustration birthday card with custom frame from Eric and a bitchin' Zombie mug made by Kent. Also, there are two new lamp additions to the Rumpus Room courtesy of Kirby's mitts. Also got a pic of the Rumpus Room tiki wearing my pendant.

"Hello late night crowd!"

Kirby holding his groovy gifts.

Close-up of the card Eric made for Kirby.

New tall lamp in the corner. I know, nice detail in the photo, right?

New lamp above the volcano.

Rumpus Room Tiki wearing my Rumpus Room Tiki pendant.

Too many cocktails man, too many cocktails...

Happy B - day Kirby gotta get by soon .

G

Sorry I missed the birthday fun.
I should be there next week. Still doing the every other week thing.

Happy Birthday to Kirby.

AF

HAPPY B-DAY KIRBY!!!
BB season is almost over, I gotta get out to the Rumpus Room, and soon...miss seeing you guys!
Anders

Happy Birthday, Kirby! Sorry I missed it!

See you all there tonight!

We could use a bottle of:

Cruzan Vanilla Rum
Canton Liq.
St. James Royal Amber Rum Marq.
White Rum, Cruzan would be fine
Grand Mariner
Galliano
Chambord
Barbancourt Rum 3- up star

clear 12 oz plastic cups
Ice
limes & lemons
cocktail napkins
cherries
straws
pineapple chunks
long straws

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1508 replies