Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Kirby's Rumpus Room 10yrs. & still going strong!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,508 replies

B

Hey Guys, We have a great time last night...thanks for the hospitality...Grog, i didn't win even one game of pool! I gotta practice...Hiphipahula, thank you for the great drinks!!!

Arrgh, I chickened out: By the early evening, my lingering jet lag and the fact that I am on antibiotics and cortisone because of an ear infection seemed like a volatile mixture to hitting the freeway at night in the pouring rain...not so much in getting there, but getting back with several rum concoctions in me. Next time! I do wanna see your pad, Ernie.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Oct 16, 2009 1:37 AM

You've got to check out Murph's pad in Glendale also, which is the other place the Ttraveling Rumpus room has hit since Kirby and Polly had their baby.

On 2009-10-16 01:37, GROG wrote:
You've got to check out Murph's pad in Glendale also, which is the other place the Ttraveling Rumpus room has hit since Kirby and Polly had their baby.

THAT I have seen, a veritable island village in the hills. So WHERE will be the next traveling Rumpus Room, then?

K
kirby posted on Fri, Oct 16, 2009 6:44 PM

Maybe the traveling Rumpus Room should come back home next week its been realy quit in there...and we are missin the ohana...Im sure baby tyler would love to meet you guys as well...

M
Murph posted on Fri, Oct 16, 2009 7:47 PM

I'm there!
Hey Kelly got any interesting Tiki Formula drinks?

[ Edited by: Murph 2009-10-16 19:48 ]

Kelly and I are going to have to experiment. I'll be bringing some strange new syrups on Tuesday. I found a pure passionfruit syrup and also a starfruit syrup at my local Asian market. We'll uncork them and try them out. Additionally, I'll be preparing some Jasmine, Jackfruit, and Ju-Ju-Be syrups. I had a sixth syrup I started making this evening, but I've saved you all the agony of trying the Durian (ugly fruit) syrup. I just couldn't get past the smell of it. Ilene was in the other room asking Joe if he needed a diaper change. So, that experiment got thrown into the haz mat crate. I'm sure the flavor is lovely but I will never know...

On 2009-10-16 18:44, kirby wrote:
Maybe the traveling Rumpus Room should come back home next week its been realy quit in there...and we are missin the ohana...Im sure baby tyler would love to meet you guys as well...

This Tues. is at Murphs "Waikiki Womb" about 7:30. Kirby just say when & we will be there!!!! Can't wait to visit with all of you!!

more info to come about this weeks needs.

J
JOBU posted on Sun, Oct 18, 2009 1:04 PM

Naturally, Bobbie and I are disappointed that the Traveling Rumpus Room will not be meeting for a "Halloween Edition " in our home this week but we understand that it's hard to pass up the Waikiki Womb. As many of you know Bobbie and I are expecting as well and this was going to be one of our last weeks that we had to showcase our home before we had to start baby proofing and making room for our new edition.

Before and after pictures will begin here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=34258&forum=1&0

I'm sorry that so many of our new friends cannot enjoy the OHANA spirit we felt at so many Rumpus Rooms but it is getting past time to make room for baby necessities and I have to start packing up the things I hold dear... or at least until we locate into a bigger house with a locked bar.....

Jobu

Wherever we meet is fine by me.

See you tomorrow!

K
kirby posted on Mon, Oct 19, 2009 6:27 PM

I just spoke with kelly The Rumpus Room will be at Home at The Rumpus Room this tuesday, so stop on by!!!

K
kirby posted on Tue, Oct 20, 2009 4:50 PM

Just a reminder Rumpus Room is on at my house tonight...October 20th..

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 21, 2009 10:54 AM

'Twas fun time. Good seeing Sven at the Rumpus Room.

T

Anybody take pics last night? Please post 'em if you got 'em!

Indeed, this is a home hideaway as it should be: Selfmade, decorated with a mixture of thrift store finds, gifted items, contempo Tiki art -and especially, love for the genre. It even has a waterfall. And an A-frame!

T

It was nice to be "home" last night in the Rumpus Room.

Sven, glad you made it out. Good times.

Yup. I mean Dagger rum, Beau-Tiki shirts, it was quite a scene. Here's the album I told you about, with the organ bird-calls and that wacky version of Quiet Village on it:

...and here that apartment building that I thought would be a good location for Tikiyaki band photos:

T

Wow, what a cool place. That WOULD be nice for band photos.

While we're on the subject of Mid Century Chinese/Asian style decor and architecture, perhaps there ought to be a thread on these kinds of places, as they are a cousing of Mid Century Tiki style, and obviously the 2 styles collided alot, especially in the restaurant world.

There are 2 apartment buildings on Hollywood Way in Burbank that I've been meaning to photograph and post on here that are this style.

I KNOW there are lots more, like, for instance "The Mikado" building on Cahuenga in Hollywood.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-10-21 16:35 ]

Jim, if you start the mid-century Asian thread, I will ad these and more photos.

But back to the more important questions...like:

WHERE and when will be the next Kirby's Rumpus Room?

K
kirby posted on Wed, Oct 21, 2009 9:25 PM

sven we will keep you posted on the day and location for the next one.. Thanks for stopping by it was great having the great sven in the Rumpus Room, and thanks for leaving your wallet behind so Grog and I could bring it to you and get a chance to see your awesome home and collection..
a few pics
Dean took on the duty of mixin up kirby jr's first mai tai

holdin on to his first tiki.. hand made by eric october

Proof Sven was at the Rumpus Room

Proof kirby,Polly, and grog were at svens Tiki casa

Great Rumpus Room this week, Thanks for joining in Sven! I will post next weeks Rumpus Room plans in the next day or so. You are all welcome to join us! :)

It was nice to be at the Rumpus Room, I relaxed for a change and visited with some Rumpus Room newcombers, Tyler & Sven!

Jim Yamashiro's is also a great place for photo shoots...

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2009-10-21 23:52 ]

Skipping "Rumpus Room" this week Oct. 27th 2009 ONLY THIS WEEK We are trying to re-organize ourselves a bit and set us up to be Kirby & Polly's baby Tyler friendly we will be back next! Please check Facebook & Tiki Central for times! See you then!! HipHiPaHulA!!

T

Forgot to post this pic from last week...

Sven Rumpus Rooming!

See everybody next week!

K
kirby posted on Tue, Nov 3, 2009 5:00 PM

So Polly has school on tuesdays And that means im in babysitting duty,so tuesdays are no good for us.. So how does Wednesday or Thursday sound, Im more leaning for wednesday myself But im up for either day...

T

Wednesdays sound good... would that be tomorrow?

Standing by...

K
kirby posted on Tue, Nov 3, 2009 7:00 PM

im cool with tomarrow if everone else is...

Thursdays are best for me however I'll wait and see what the consensus is! Of course whatever is best for the majority! I miss hanging out at the RR and I can't wait to meet our newest Little Tiki Man!!

OK... There is a Mai Tai Meeting Wensday night at the Rumpus Room! BE THERE :) YAY...We will discuss futher info then. SEE YOU THERE TONIGHT 6:00ish 7:00ish...

Darn. I can't make it tonight. Have fun, though!

Here's something to try if you feel daring. I just made this up for a Kahlua Contest sponsored by Saveur Magazine:

THE MOLE MUDSLIDE

2 oz Mocambo Mexican Rum by Ron Anejo

2 oz Kahlua

1 oz Godiva Chocolate Liqueur

1/2 oz Home Made Ancho Chile Syrup

1/2 oz Torani Cinnamon Syrup

Combine all the ingredients in a Boston shaker with a healthy portion of crushed ice
Shake vigorously, then pour into a pint glass. Garnish with an extra long stick of cinnamon to
use as a swizzle.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 4, 2009 1:02 PM

GROG not able make it tonight.

GROG not want spread germs to Ernie Jr.----whoops, GROG meanTyler.

K
kirby posted on Wed, Nov 4, 2009 3:54 PM

GROG not want spread germs to Ernie Jr.----whoops, GROG meanTyler.

K
kirby posted on Wed, Nov 4, 2009 3:55 PM

anybody else planning on stoping by

JB

I'll be there...

Lemme know when its on a Sun. and I will be there.

Jeff(btd)

I'm driving down to my Mom's (from Sacramento to Lakeside...I-5 > 210 > 15...so think that is close by your place) on Sunday, November 22. Will ya be havin' a shindig that afternoon?

WEDNESDAY'S Nov. 11 Kirby & Polly's "Rumpus Room Mai Tai Meeting! You are all invited 6:30ish till the Rums gone. Message me for the address. First Timer's Out of Towner's are always Welcome!!

Please bring a couple limes maybe a lemon for entrance thanks. See you there!!

Any snacks, Rum, booze is always appreciated :)

Mai Tai Meeting Wednesday 11/11/09 Please Come Your all Welcome. We always Throw a Great Party!!

Join Us!

Aloha! The "Rumpus Room” is Kirby and Polly's Home Tiki Bar.
Originally built by Grandpa as a room for the family to relax as the summer breeze squeezed past the louvered windows. Many years later becoming Grandmas boring ol' laundry room. This past year 2009 after months of hard work, the "Rumpus Room" was hand built by Kirby, Polly and fellow Tiki Ohana, Tiki Mango and Tiki G, with additional help from Tikiyaki Orchestra, Jim Bacchi and Marty Lush, they mostly just drank Mai Tais and watched us.....

All Tikiphile's are invited to the “Rumpus Room” every Wednesday Night unless noted. Please let us know if you plan to be in SoCal. in the areas of La Crescenta, Montrose, Tujunga, La Cañada - Flintridge, Glendale, Burbank, Pasadena or the San Fernando Valley on a Wednesday and can join us for a Mai Tai From 7pm-12am. Regular attendees of the “Rumpus Room” will be charted and with regular attendance will earn the right to become a member in great standing and you will be eligible to receive an Original “Kirby Art” “Rumpus Room Pendant”
*Just drop us a note to Kirby or Hiphipahula for directions to the "Rumpus Room"
Mahalo, Join us!

*Alcohol and Tips (for Rum) Donations are always welcome we depend on it and appreciate it.
*Lemon and Lime Donation required at the door :)
*BRING A MUG for your cocktail and leave it or take it home with you.

[ Message was First edited by: Hiphipahula Somewhere around May-June of 2009 then over & over ]

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2009-11-11 15:12 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 11, 2009 9:24 AM

GROG have crapload of Lemons and handful of limes for tonight, so bring limes if you want to, but GROG got the lemons covered.

P.M. Kirby or/and me for the address we will get ya there.

Ouh, I can't be there tonight, I got some free tickets for me and my son for an advance screening of 2012 tonite....not that I go for that kind of thing necessarily, it's more of a father/son thing, HE's dying to see it. Don't drink up all the Dagger!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 18, 2009 9:46 AM

Rumpus Room tonight. Good drinks, good friends, and good atmosphere. Can't go wrong with that.

T

:( Tikiyaki Rehearsal on Wednesdays.

I'm lobbying for a Sunday !

I'm having Rumpus Room withdrawals. I miss you all.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-11-18 10:00 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 18, 2009 10:28 AM

Just do Tikiyaki rehearsl in Kirby's back yard.

K
kirby posted on Wed, Nov 18, 2009 3:13 PM

Great idea grog!!
By the way I got the limes covered tonight..

I'll see you around 8:30-9. I'm bringing some New Orleans brand White Rum, some Aztec Chocolate Bitters, and a couple of other goodies.

On 2009-11-18 09:59, tikiyaki wrote:
:( Tikiyaki Rehearsal on Wednesdays.

I'm lobbying for a Sunday !

I'm having Rumpus Room withdrawals. I miss you all.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-11-18 10:00 ]

yeah a Sun would be great.

Jeff(btd)

Yaaaay! I can finally make it!! No 4 am call for me tomorrow. I'll be bringing some fresh picked Meyer lemons from my tree!! See ya.
Carrie

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Nov 19, 2009 7:55 AM

Thanks to Bewitched By Tiki, I enjoyed a beautiful evening last night at Kirby's Rumpus Room.
The warm and cozy environment equally matched the warm, friendly vibe...God I miss the Rumpus Room regulars when I'm away.

Thanks to all for your company last night and I give special Thanks to Hiphipahula: The refreshments served were absolutely magical.

A few pics from last night below -

Til next time - Cheers! G

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1508 replies