Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Kirby's Rumpus Room 10yrs. & still going strong!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,508 replies

I'll be there as always, a little late, sometime between 8-9 pm.

There's a bottle of orgeat still on the shelf that I brought last week, I think, but we go through it so fast, more is always welcome.

I'll bring a big bottle of Cruzan Light Rum, some straws, and my new home made Chamomile Syrup to experiment with.

See you there!

T

I'm bringing some Whalers Dark.

Ahh, this sounds like a killer event! I'll definitely try and attend one of these Tuesday evenings!

Cheers!

Chris

JB

A splendid time is guaranteed for all.

K
kirby posted on Tue, Aug 25, 2009 9:45 AM

I did a lil work on the back yard so there might be a few surprises..i almost managed to squish myself when the 10ft telephone pole tiki decided to fall down while i was working about 2 feet away..Sorry to say the chair didnt make it...

Oh WOW Kirby!!! Glad your ok! Can't wait to have a look!

M

I'm in with the pineapple juice.

Here's a handful of iPhone pix from this evening. Not the highest quality pictures, but hey...you gotta dance with who you brung....

J
JOBU posted on Tue, Aug 25, 2009 11:58 PM

Good Times Once Again....
I like Being Kelly's "Test Drink Subject"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EpLQ5u5Ugo

M
Murph posted on Wed, Aug 26, 2009 5:08 PM

Another great night.
And here's to Kelly and my new favorite drink the Halekulani Cocktail... bourbon and Tiki who'd a thunk.

T

Yep, another fun night at the old Rumpus Room! The outside additions look great, Kirby!

What's the name of that new coconutty drink Kelly and Tom? It was DE-licious!

Eric, I think the coconut drink with the cracked black pepper syrup is still going to be called the Mug Cracker. I know we had another version we called the Mug Cracker, but frankly, it wasn't as good. We almost threw away the new recipe, but Kelly found it in the trash last night and she was going to re-copy it on the computer so we have a back-up of my hasty napkin notes. We'll definitely have to make more of these. Very tasty!

Avast, I wasn't able to make it last night. Hopefully next time.

On 2009-08-26 19:40, Trader Tom wrote:
Eric, I think the coconut drink with the cracked black pepper syrup is still going to be called the Mug Cracker. I know we had another version we called the Mug Cracker, but frankly, it wasn't as good. We almost threw away the new recipe, but Kelly found it in the trash last night and she was going to re-copy it on the computer so we have a back-up of my hasty napkin notes. We'll definitely have to make more of these. Very tasty!

Picking through Kirby's trash outside was well worth it....can you imagine.... Thanks for holding the flashlight Tom :D

On 2009-08-26 17:08, Murph wrote:
Another great night.
And here's to Kelly and my new favorite drink the Halekulani Cocktail... bourbon and Tiki who'd a thunk.

Thank You Murph it is a classic tiki gentleman's drink isn't it? It might put a little hair on the chest. Tried & true, stands the test of time. Thanks Murph :)

AF

Dosh Garnit! I missed out on additions to the yard, fun and new drinks too?! It's a slow recovery from my 1st Oasis.
Is there a next week?
A frame

Haha, there's always a next week!

T

My wife & I are still planning on visiting the Rumpus Room someday, hopefully soon!

Stay safe from the fire raging up there. I hope you won't have to evacuate...?

Meeting on for tonight Tues. Sept. 1st. 5pm-12am Kirby says "It might be a little smokey but were still here!" Please come join us & watch the brush burn or the grass grow... just have a Mai Tai ok and hush! :D

Needed for tonight:
Limes a few per person. Not a whole bag
Dark Jam Rum- Myres, Lahaina, Coruba
Light/White Rum- Appleton, Myres or any
Martinique Rum

Ice
Plastic 12 oz cups clear
Paper towels

T

YAY! Glad to hear the Rumpus Room is still standing!

We'll bring some ice, plus we've finally made enough homemade syrups that we can leave them at the Rumpus Room! So we'll be bringing Sweet and Sour, Ginger, Chinese FIve Spice, and Cracked Black Pepper.

Plus chips and cookies!

Aloha!

TT

If we run out of dark rum and miss that darker smoky flavor we can just set our glasses outside I guess!

I'll be there around 8:30 to 9:00.

I'll bring some dark rum and a big bottle of cracked pepper syrup I made the other night. Plus some lemons and limes.

Sounds like with all that pepper syrup that Eric and Manuel and I are bringing we'll have to make big batches of Mug Cracker Cocktails.

I'm fine with that!

B

how was the RumpusRoom last night...hot? smokin?

Smokin'!! We had a great time Ernie/Grog was there so we were all glad to see Grog and his house survived the fires! We were worried about you Grog!!!

M
Murph posted on Wed, Sep 2, 2009 12:22 PM

It was Ho Hos fun.

T

On 2009-09-02 09:05, builtiki wrote:
how was the RumpusRoom last night...hot? smokin?

It was both! My clothes smelled all smoky the next morning! And there were Hohos!

And those Mug Cracker drinks are so good!
Boy, was it ever fun!

I like Hohos. I like them with smoke. I like them with coke. I like them with jokes. I like them with folks. I like Hohos.

M
Murph posted on Thu, Sep 3, 2009 10:21 AM

Ho Hos!
Ho Hos!
Ho! Ho! Ho! Ho!
The chocolaty snack that gives you go!
It's candy and cake
All in one
It's two great treats
And so much fun!

J
JOBU posted on Thu, Sep 3, 2009 12:25 PM

Just don't forget....
"Bros Before Ho's"

Jobu

Ha Ha Ha! Ho Ho Hohos!! :D I need photo shop...............................

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2009-09-03 15:46 ]

T

Back on da east coast....we had Drakes Cakes "Yodels".

I've always maintained that drakes cakes are superior to Hostess....But that's just me.

That being said, I wonked down at least 2 HoHo's at the Rumpus Room.....Got Milk ?

Old school....

I like Ding Dongs myself , but those Drakes look good.Why don't you have a couple of
cases sent to Cali Jimbo...I will pick up most of the tab .

M
Murph posted on Thu, Sep 3, 2009 11:01 PM

Next week HoHo Skewers!

T

On 2009-09-03 16:30, 1961surf wrote:
I like Ding Dongs myself , but those Drakes look good.Why don't you have a couple of
cases sent to Cali Jimbo...I will pick up most of the tab .

I've had them sent to people before. I MAY just do that. Devil Dogs are another fave of mine. Need lotsa milk

Murph. Those skewers looks amazing !

T

On 2009-09-03 01:20, Hiphipahula wrote:
I like Hohos. I like them with smoke. I like them with coke. I like them with jokes. I like them with folks. I like Hohos.

Hey Kelly...
Do you like them in a house? Do you like them with a mouse?
Do you like green eggs and Hohos? Do you like them, Kelly-I-am?

Do you like them chewing gum? Do you like them drinking rum?
Do you like them in a boat that's creaky? Do you like them with a tiki?

Do you like them with King's Hawaiian Rolls and Spam?
Do you like them, Kelly-I-am?

OK, perhaps I've gone too far... I'll stop now...

And how about them Devil Dogs?

On 2009-09-03 23:06, tikiyaki wrote:

Devil Dogs are another fave of mine. Need lotsa milk

Spoken like a true East Coaster! I don't think there's a Devil Dog withing 1500 miles of here :(

On 2009-09-03 23:44, tobunga wrote:

On 2009-09-03 01:20, Hiphipahula wrote:

Hey Kelly...
Do you like them in a house? Do you like them with a mouse?
Do you like green eggs and Hohos? Do you like them, Kelly-I-am?

Do you like them chewing gum? Do you like them drinking rum?
Do you like them in a boat that's creaky? Do you like them with a tiki?

Do you like them with King's Hawaiian Rolls and Spam?
Do you like them, Kelly-I-am?

OK, perhaps I've gone too far... I'll stop now...

And how about them Devil Dogs?

I do like Hohos Kelly I am!I do! But I like Ding Dongs better only because they still come individually foil wrapped.

Ding Dongs and Ho Ho's are even better if you stick them in the fridge. Something about the cold creamy center is just so yummy to me.

M
Murph posted on Fri, Sep 4, 2009 11:21 AM

When you want to make the right impression on a first date...

HOHOs Lip Balm!

I was so bummed I couldn't make it to the Tonga Hut on Saturday and see Kelly make her rum creations.

Looks like a bunch of the Rumpus Room folks made it and had fun judging by the pictures.

I hope this Labor Day Weekend isn't wearing you out for this coming Tuesday, though.

I'm bringing some new ingredients and hope to make some wicked new cocktails. I finally bought that Canton Ginger Liqueur and the St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur I've been threatening to pick up. And, I obtained a little hand peeler especially made for doing citrus twists, some seltzer, and a box of 4 martini glasses to leave at the bar. Gotta show off those twists!

Don't forget the White Chocolate Godiva, Kelly, for that other drink we were working on.

See you all soon!!!

T

On 2009-09-04 07:25, Jason Wickedly wrote:

On 2009-09-03 23:06, tikiyaki wrote:

Devil Dogs are another fave of mine. Need lotsa milk

Spoken like a true East Coaster! I don't think there's a Devil Dog withing 1500 miles of here :(

You know it. Though, I'm pretty sure that they carry them in vegas...believe it or not. I also keep hearing from people that some Pizza place in the valley has Drakes cakes too, but that myth has yet to make itself true.

If people only knew....

DAMN I want a Devil Dog right now !

Here I is!
retired Devil Dog at your service!
OOOOOOOOO-RAWRH!

TT

Okay, I went crazy shopping today. In addition to the Canton & St. Germain, I'll be bringing a big bottle of Bombay Sapphire Gin, some Zaya rum, and a slew of mixers. I'm going to be using the gin for a specific drink, but if anybody wants martinis, I'm not sure if we have dry vermouth or olives...check with Kelly or Kirby on that one. Oh, and I found another big manhattan style shaker to replace my one that got cracked! See you tomorrow.

Okay, I got the vermouth and the olives. I hope you guys are thirsty...

Wow! Is it raining Rum??? I do actually carry Martini makings for Marty Lush & a couple others, ya can't do with out it.. See ya there!

Tonight 9/8

Bring a couple limes, lemons for entry.

Are you considering a contribution?
Could you please help with:

*Myres, Lahaina or Coruba Rum
A Rum you might enjoy
*Ice
*Cherries
*Pineapple
*12oz. plastic cups
Swizzle Sticks
Paper Towels
Toilet Paper
Galliano Liqueur
Baileys
Midori
Vodka

pm me or Kirby for the address

TT

Another fun night! Saw some new and familiar faces. Had a great time visiting with everyone.

The drink experiments continued and though we had some failures, there were also some successes. Manuel and Eric's basil syrup yielded my "Basil Haze" which was a tasty savory drink if I do say so myself. I also got a chance to make my "Menehune's Kiss" (with peach puree), "Makahiki Muddler" (with gin and mint) and "Pele's Pacifier" (with fresh squeezed grapefruit juice). I've had them on paper for a while but they turned out like I hoped. We drained half a bottle of Canton and quite a bit of Eric and Manuel's ginger syrup. We were in a ginger mood, I guess! Cas and I made a couple of epic failures towards the end of the evening, but even those drinks were fun to make. One, in particular, deserves the name "The Send It Back" but don't ask me how to make it. My therapist and I have successfully blocked the awful taste of that drink from my mind forever and I'd prefer to keep it that way.

See ya next Tuesday!

T

Hey Tom!

Keep them experiments comin'!

How else will we get the next Mug Cracker or Hibiscus Hula? Great stuff!

And it was great seeing Cass out at the Rumpus Room!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1508 replies