Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

sophista-tiki orignals Dawn Frasier

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1,256 replies

working on my ornaments. all getting gifted with Xmas orders.

finished up a couple of things started on a couple of new things. I'm super prepared for Xmas sales this year but as usually everybody will be last minute with their orders and I'll be scrambling,,,,

the cover for the folder of the 2015 master print set

master print set, still need to select 2 more images for 8 prints total

finished all of my ornaments that Im including in this years orders as the prize.

finalized the design for this RUGXOTICA commission I'll be starting as soon as all the NOS rug yarns start to arrive in a few days.

got 2 more paintings on my desk right now
and Im starting on my peacock blue feather tree which is going to make those sepic ornaments look super cool!

finished up these 3 rugs today

C
cy posted on Sat, Dec 12, 2015 4:33 PM

Beautiful work as always Dawn!!

thanks Cy. Just sold the green one.

this weeks projects plus a holiday party pic.

new post cards are here

learned how to make hardcover books from scratch

Sophista-tiki Airways in blue

started on this big RUGXOTICA commission

last weekends christmas party

etsy.com/sophistatiki. Everything from my newest line- Castaway Cravats to prints of my Tiki Magazine Cover.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2015-12-24 17:12 ]

new stuff
self explanitory

H
Heath posted on Fri, Jan 29, 2016 6:09 PM

I find it amazing and inspiring that you are able to create in so many different media and yet still retain your style.
Thank you for sharing it!

trying to pull off a major feat. if I can do it I'll let you know where you can see it.

C
cy posted on Sun, Jan 31, 2016 5:09 PM

You have been busy, rugs are looking great Dawn, no way I would walk on one.

progress

Finished this morning at 6AM after a week of all nighters, except for that one day i got drunk.
On its way to Modernism Week in Palm Springs. can be seen in person for social media photo op at Virgin America in the Palm Springs airport.

When I was a tour guide in Yellowstone National Park I had a person ask me how many trees there were in the park. This was a common question and we had been taught to say..."We sent a ranger out to count them in 1936 and he's not back yet".

Every time I see your rug creations I wonder how many threads you loop to make one...

Beautiful.

Wendy,,, first of all Yellowstone- cooOool!! you know I grew up- there.

There is a formula for how many tufts/sq" , but as usual I do not follow some arbitrary guidelines set by an unknown entity. I just make shit up as I go along that works for me.

the Virgin America press conference is today.

this one is going out the door today

That's such a beautiful work of art.

(Wendy,,, first of all Yellowstone- cooOool!! you know I grew up- there. )

I had forgotten. How lucky you were. I loved having two summers in the park.

Wendy

a sideways look at one of 6 new larger paintings

another sideways

T

Dawn,

B L
E O
A O
U K
T S
I
F
U
L
!!!!!!!!

(However you spin the paintings).

My mouth is still hanging open in awe over the latest Rugxotica piece. Wow.

Love your colors

new pieces

Your artwork is really looking GREAT!

some of the new stuff, all larger. I will be doing a batch of " affordable" for vending Hukilau and Tiki Kon. and one smaller piece for that group show in Hollywood this June.

K

LOVE your work sophista... your watercolours would look AWESOME printed on some bar towels. :D

...or place mats.. coasters.. napkins...

[ Edited by: komohana 2016-03-26 22:45 ]

thanks. My watercolors look great as paintings. or printed in books. like right in the front of the new Smugglers Cove book. I kinda don't really go in for the cleche assortment of cheezy merch. I like my things to be more exclusive and handmade. The market is already flooded with that kind of stuff. ( notice I didn't call it crap) LOL. Don't give hacks any ideas please its already a problem. I do realize that the average armchair aficianado only thinks in terms of " loot" even though I'm not jumping on that bandwagon. Not that I don't " get it" , I just wouldn't choose to play into that unless it was a promotional item for something much much bigger.

K

Fully appreciate your reluctance to "sell out".

Like many times in the past, I almost deleted the above comment before posting so's not to potentially offend anyone,
but I'm sure you understand I wasn't implying that your art (if printed on a napkin) is only good for wiping yer
dirty moosh with. :lol:

Quite the contrary, as I'm struggling to find any acceptable items as mentioned, particularly bar towels.

Besides, I think I'd love your art regardless of where it were printed, notwithstanding the fact I simply don't
have any wall space left, but do have room for ephemera.

THIS is where I meant to put it.
My Smugglers Cove book prints are here .

lurk away

whats been going on outside of the TC bubble

oh and I painted my truck. you'll have to go to instagram to see it.

C
cy posted on Mon, Aug 8, 2016 1:17 PM

Nice!!

finished a couple pieces today including my submission for this yrs Tiki Oasis group show. titled The Lurkers, cause what do monsters do best? - lurk heh

Awesome.......

heres my latest art car project for those lurkers too lazy to navigate over to instagram.

watch the only comment will be asking me how I do it and what kind of paint to use.

Dawn,

How'd you do that and what kind of paint did you use? :wink:

Jokes aside, that's incredible! Do you have a photos of both sides?

LOL! glad you see my humor and mockery. Im not done yet. its gonna get so much better.THEN there will be tons of pics. and I still wont tell how I did it.

C

Great! I can't wait to see the finished piece.

Wow that is a beautiful painting on the car. Wendy

H
Heath posted on Thu, Aug 11, 2016 9:57 PM

On 2016-08-11 12:06, Sophista-tiki wrote:
heres my latest art car project for those lurkers too lazy to navigate over to instagram.

What about those of us too lazy to have an Instagram account?

Guess instagram is for those of us smart enough to look for tiki beyond the lurk fest asskissing club.

On 2016-08-12 07:20, Sophista-tiki wrote:
Guess instagram is for those of us smart enough to look for tiki beyond the lurk fest asskissing club.

I like the artwork, but not the attitude.

J

On 2016-08-12 07:23, Jeff Bannow wrote:

I like the artwork, but not the attitude.

Ditto on that!

Get over yourselves. THIS is EXACTLY my point about all of your phony bullshit. Nobody ever has shit to say about the bazillion of positive things I produce at a breakneck speed or the major accomplishments achieved in this scene in spite of DELIBERATE sabotage buy some of your FAV artists and ass kissing recipients. WHY because its all about your phony aloha. But do or say one frnk thing perceived " out of line" ( IE:CALLING YOU ON YOUR BULLSHIT) and suddenly everybody in this place has something to say about it. SO if any of your are actually capable of though processing that one beyond your wadded up tighty whiteys maybe you'll have a glimmer of WHY I HAVE the" attitude". BTW my attitude is a direct result of the shitty treatment I've received within this scene for not playing your games.
Quite sure that most of us who started this scene figured out the impending circle jerk of TC long ago. lemme know if the light bulb goes on for any of you but I m not holding my breath.
wow

On 2016-08-12 08:22, Sophista-tiki wrote:
Get over yourselves. THIS is EXACTLY my point about all of your phony bullshit. Nobody ever has shit to say about the bazillion of positive things I produce at a breakneck speed or the major accomplishments achieved in this scene in spite of DELIBERATE sabotage buy some of your FAV artists and ass kissing recipients. WHY because its all about your phony aloha. But do or say one frnk thing perceived " out of line" ( IE:CALLING YOU ON YOUR BULLSHIT) and suddenly everybody in this place has something to say about it. SO if any of your are actually capable of though processing that one beyond your wadded up tighty whiteys maybe you'll have a glimmer of WHY I HAVE the" attitude". BTW my attitude is a direct result of the shitty treatment I've received within this scene for not playing your games.
Quite sure that most of us who started this scene figured out the impending circle jerk of TC long ago. lemme know if the light bulb goes on for any of you but I m not holding my breath.
wow

Sorry things have been so rough for you on here, but I can tell you that you aren't going to get the response you desire using your current tactics.

BTW - I wear boxers, don't play games, and am capable of processing thoughts. Maybe I belong on Instagram?

Aloha!

totally sharing this to show everybody exactly what shit goes on around here. you've quite nicely proven the thing I've been talking about for YEARS!~ just giving a fair warning that what you say to me is gonna be seen outside of TC. my psychology friends are gonna love this one. classic.

" love the artwork hate the attitude" REALLY??! never in a million yrs would I have even known that anyone around here liked my artwork> but you've gone out of your way to make sure I know you dont like my " attitude". trying super hard not to say FU lol

On 2016-08-12 08:35, Sophista-tiki wrote:
totally sharing this to show everybody exactly what shit goes on around here. you've quite nicely proven the thing I've been talking about for YEARS!~ just giving a fair warning that what you say to me is gonna be seen outside of TC. my psychology friends are gonna love this one. classic.

" love the artwork hate the attitude" REALLY??! never in a million yrs would I have even known that anyone around here liked my artwork> but you've gone out of your way to make sure I know you dont like my " attitude". trying super hard not to say FU lol

On 2016-08-12 08:35, Sophista-tiki wrote:

I've got some drinks to pour, so I won't respond other than the following:

I mean this sincerely - Whatever has you down, let it go and enjoy life. Aloha, and may the rest of your weekend be brighter.

The only reason Im here is to to check out the thread about the new art swap. and of course not much has changed around here. Still moobs deep in mawgy holier than thow bullshit. But I'm gonna lay some flavor on you anyway.

tiki exist outside of TC and in much better incarnations.

You have exceptional design ideas. Its nice to see your art again. I never see it on Facebook.

I really like the Tahitian Cannibal in Falu.

[ Edited by: MaukaHale 2017-03-23 13:04 ]

My art is on facebook. I no longer share stuff to the group tiki pages because the harassment was of the charts. This past year brought alot of deliberate bullshit from people in the tiki scene to discredit me for not willingly playing the stoopid social games. It may seem like I've tanked my audience but what Im doing is taking tiki beyond the myopic scene, and I'm the only artist who has the kind of work that can do it. or the inclination to do so. After this last weekends opening at la luz and the book release on tiki art I was excluded from. I had to make a statement about it.

"I promised I wouldn't talk about this anymore but A lot of misdirected outrage is coming my way about being left out of the La Luz show and the new book on tiki art. So I kinda have to make a statement .
I can't speak on why I was excluded because no one has given me a believable answer. In fact 95% of anyone who thinks they're important in the microcosm of tiki has remained silent on the whole thing. It's a pretty big deal for me to be left out after nearly 30 yrs of making exclusively tiki art. I'm long over it. I've exited tiki as a scene because it doesn't support or respect my contributions. Its the individual people I've bonded with and the fans that find me on their own that actually support me. I am more driven than ever to execute my vision of tiki modern. I'm not quitting my art,I'm skirting what's kept me down. So,,,, if you are just now catching on that I was excluded-direct your comments towards the ones who excluded me. I can't answer for them. I'm still doing me - a whole lot of phony bullshit free. And I totally plan on owning it." #dawnfrasierartist

My zine with my missing scene history will be available in a couple of weeks in my etsy shop. it chronicles me being a tiki artist since before there was a scene through my recent exit and all the weird backhanded disrespecful bullshit things that have been pulled on me by men in tiki that added up to where I'm at now. Done with being treated second class. Im still a tiki artist I just jumped out of the over crowded pee filled pool.

heres where to find me -
my art page - https://www.facebook.com/bamboogroveofwestwood/

my Tiki Modern decor page
https://www.facebook.com/bamboogroveofwestwood/

my personal page
https://www.facebook.com/public/Dawn-Frasie

my insragram
https://www.instagram.com/sophista_tiki/

Spoonflower
https://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/sophista-tiki_by_dawn_frasier

etsy
https://www.etsy.com/shop/sophistatiki

In spite of all of the shit I've taken in this scene thats led me to defend myself and wad up all the man panties by calling out the horrible treatment- Im still working full time as a tiki artist I just do much bigger projects instead of selling myself all the time. My Moodxotica paintings are headed to Hawaii and Australia this yr, my studio made rugs RUGXOTICA will be in Dwell and Atomic Ranch.
Im launching a new line - Sophista-tiki Modern Home
and all sales of my zine are funding my coffee table book of my unique tiki modern aesthetic.

IMO much better than making the perpetual vending circuit . I never got the appeal of that as an artist.
Im still accessible, I still have great friends I've made in the scene. Ive also seen how phony many of the people are who were there for me until I didnt serve a stepping stone purpose for them any longer because I've gone rogue( eye roll). Honestly I cant disappear completely from tiki because of the connections I still have and the future fans I will have long after the dust settles from the whole shit show of me trying to fit in with the clique. I'm just not playing the game that never suited me in the first place. If you arn't an artist at my level you really have no idea and the experience has been singular.
My whole scene is better now than its ever been I've upped my game in every aspect you can imagine. paid off my house, honed my skills, maintained a high level of integrity, and I look frkn amazing for 51.
Onward and upward.
Thanks to the people who have always been in my corner, stuck with me through all of the bullshit that stressed me out to the point I couldn't take it anymore and will continue to be there as I take my tiki art out of the confines of the tiki scenes suffocating status quo.
Dawn

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 1256 replies