Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

MadDog Mike's Platterful of Pupule - Pele Fence Hanger

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,035 replies

That piece u did for Wendy and Dan is superb MDM!

I second that! Wendy and Dan

The bat is SOOOOO cool.

Thanks for the kind comments peoples :D
Ever since Fugu introduced me to the Baining Fire Dance Mask, I have been intrigued by their bold patterns and inspired to make a few pieces.

Fire Dance Mug II June 2009

Monday Morning in Baining July 2010

When I saw this shirt in the Show Us Your Favorite Hawaiian Shirt thread it screamed BAINING! to me.

So I thought I would make one of my own

Sharpie on a cotton/ramie shirt (I didn't know what else to use) I am still trying to decide if I should put another mask on the back or if that would be over the top :D

On the back too, why waste a good opportunity for more portable art. You wouldn't want a boring backside would you? Good job back to work. Wendy

COOOOOL! Mike.

I love that you make yourself clothes!

Cool, Mike! You should put that collar/sleeve trim on the bottom hem too.

OK Wendy, workin' up a design for the back

ATP - Good to hear from you :D

Dawn, I must confess - I did not sew that shirt. I wanted a plain white or ivory shirt, natural fiber with a square bottom hem. This was the closest I found, it had 3 embroidery lines running up each side. Took me 3 hours with a seam ripper to get rid of them :lol:

Bill, I think you're right. There is too much negative space at the bottom of the shirt but I didn't want to fill it 'cuz it would take away from the mask. Trim around the bottom hem is a great solution.

That is cool Mike. I agree the trim on the bottom will
finish it.

Well, it's just not working out :( After I washed the shirt I had a lot of bleeding; the whole shirt turned slightly pink, there was some smearing on the edge of the designs, and I had some "ghost images" where the inked design had touched the undecorated part of the shirt in the washer and/or dryer. Maybe I'll post pictures of the disaster later.

I had used Sharpies, they are readily available (I live in the sticks) and their website said they were good for fabric - I guess they lied :D I see lots of pens sold to be for fabric, anyone have any experience with this? What happened to the Tri-Chem Liquid Embroidery pens of the 70s? :lol:

Since the Bainings dance these masks around the fire, I like the concept of the masks against a fire background. I may have to make the masks on white fabric and applique them to a flamed shirt

EDIT - example of the "ghost images" that showed up when I washed and dried the shirt. Don't waste your time with Sharpies.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2010-11-08 21:32 ]

That shirt looks (looked?) great Mike. Sorry to hear the colors ran!

Back in the Punk Rock daze, I use to airbrush T-shirts, Textile paints would be one way to go, very permanent.
you can use brush or airbrush to apply.

Thanks Jason & Robert.

ATP, you got an example of a textile paint? Pens would be easier than a brush but I could probably make that work.

Another option is to use Spoonflower

Thanks Lance, looks like the might sell Jacquards at Michael's

On 2010-10-06 07:08, ZeroTiki wrote:
Mike, you are freakishly awesome in your talents. and there are so many of them!

A reminder to those who have forgotten... an early MDM on this thread, you know you haven't looked at all the pages, y'all... you really should, and here's proof:

I love this piece. honestly, I love like 85% of your stuff
:D
I kid.
~Zero

yep, I love this as well, could be my new favorite!...next to the very special one you made me

Thank you Amy :) Amy & Zero, that blowfish is my daughter's favorite too. Unfortunately, it's rather prickly to hold :lol:

Meatloaf said " :music: Two outta three ain't bad", I guess he's right. I tried to make 3 more bat goblets but only 2 worked out

Satin black outside and gloss black outside for a TCer in the NE

Satin brown outside and gloss yellow & orange inside for a TCer in the NW

Vampire bat, gloss black outside and gloss red inside for a local friend
I reglazed and fired it 3 times and it got worse each time. The black stuff in the foreground is shards-o-glaze that kept flaking off, I finally threw it away!

PS - the Meatloaf quote was coincidental, I had forgotten his 2 "Bat Out of Hell" songs

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2010-11-20 22:37 ]

:music: Under da sea, under da sea. Dahlin' it's better down where it's wetter, take it from me! :music:

I see a couple of artists working underseas themes, I suspect something is afoot! :D

I did some experimental ceramic coral this week. The big brain coral is about 10x5x5 inches.

As always, your latest stuff is so original and cool, Mike! Love it!!
Happy Thanksgiving, man!
-Andy

GLUB GLUB BUB!
THAT CORAL IS LOOKING SNAZZAY!

Cool Bat Golblets!

Mike, cool bat. Thank you for the clay wedge idea for easy opening molds. I'm so happy to have that idea and photos posted on my thread. I'll do it when I start making them. I've started the Crawl sculpt so I know it's in my future. Hugs, Wendy

Happy Thanksgiving

B

I'm a lucky bat owner! Mike's the greatest! Can't wait to have my first drinky from my new batty!

dig them bats!

Andy, Kinny, Robert, Wendy & Jason - thank you for your kind & encouraging words. I have to make stuff, it's in my blood - but it's so much more fun when I get to share it with someone besides just my wife :D

Regan, glad you are enjoying your batty - drink one for me :)

I went back under the sea and drug up some more stuff. There is so much cool stuff down there - bright colors and alien-like forms.

A sea anenome & clown fish, a feather duster tube worm, barnacles, and a hermit crab (God sculpted the shell, I sculpted the crab)

On the next dive I'm going to look for a larger anenome, some different tube worms, some different corals, starfish, seahorses, maybe a big grouper or an octopus!

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2010-12-02 06:53 ]

G
GROG posted on Thu, Dec 2, 2010 11:08 AM

Fun stuff. GROG like.

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Dec 2, 2010 11:12 AM

MDM - P.O.P. man, P.O.P.!! i.e. diggin' the undersea creatures direction. G

Thank you Ernie & Greg! This is fun stuff, I'm working on a Nudibranch right now (that word is safe to look up at work :wink: )

Now before I get U-Moderated off to Bilge, I want you to know this project IS headed in a Tiki direction :lol:

look forward to seeing where you are going with this Mike.

octopus!

B

Mike, try one of those branchy-looking starfish! Or how about those fan-like corals? I bet you're making a way-cool aquarium!

H

I love seahorses, would be nice to make a big one with vibrant colors with a hole on top for a string so It can be hung from the branch of a tree?

Jason, you may have to wait a while :D It will be a few months before I'm done with this project.

LLT - I have a secret 'pus planned

Beadtiki - starfish are defininately in, I'll have to check out the "branchy" ones. The sea fans are too thin to be made from ceramic but you can buy real dried sea fans instead. I will be using some real stuff in this mixed media project like shells, etc.

Hiltiki, gotta have seahorses. Here's one but he's not very vibrant, more camouflaged

The seahorse is mounted on a metal sculpture sea grass. There is also a nudibranch or sea slug on the rock base. Some of this stuff is just "sketches" or experiments. I can see now that the slug needs to be crawling over the corner of something so he exists in 2 or 3 planes.

Next, I need to start working on the "Tiki" aspect of this project.

Tikis too, wow this keeps calling for serious viewing. I am very fond of seahorses. This is my bathroom! Mike there can never be too many seahorses in a project. Wendy

HOLY CRAP WENDY!!!! :o Can you say "Obsessive Compulsive Disorder" :lol: :D :P

Z

I am sure the Tiki aspect will swim to the surface soon...

--OOOH! What about Sea Dragons! The cool, misunderstod 2nd cousin of the seahorse?
~Z.

B

Wendy - are all your seahorses made of that molded pasticy stuff from the 60's? Like those awesome toilet seats/lids? I LOVE your WC - needs some more seahorses though - I can still see wall!

B

Mike - I love the nudibrank - you could do a LOT of them as they seem to vary widely. Besides, the name is the clincher for me!

Nice work as usual Mike! If you open a seahorse business Wendy would definitely keep it in the black!

Hey Mike, sorry for the high-jack. I collected the seahorses from antique stores while searching for tikis. Then went crazy on eBay. It took a couple of years to get exactly the right number. I have stopped now so the white walls will always show. If I had it to do again I would have painted the bathroom blue before hanging them. Hugs, Wendy

Thanks Robert.
ZeroTiki - those Sea Dragons are just plain FREAKY!
BeadTiki - lots of way cool colors on those nudibranches (:giggle:) They are toxic so they don't have to hide, neon colors to advertise "HERE I AM, WANNA MATE?"
Wendy - no hijack here - "any publicity is good publicity" :D

I must say Wendy I love the Lucite Seahorses. Do you have the matching toilet seat?

Mike that's amazing, all of it! I can't wait to see all the new project in progress :wink:

Wendy, wow on those Sea Horses, they are so cool..... Hey would you mind if I show this to my husband? he thinks I have too many lamps :)

amy

On 2010-12-06 22:39, Hiphipahula wrote:
Mike that's amazing, all of it! I can't wait to see all the new project in progress :wink:

Yea me too!

T

Nice!

What is Buzzy carving about now?

Thank you Amy, Kelly and Skip :)

I'm not sure but here's what Buzzy is doing but here's what he ISN'T carving :D

We had a beautiful sunset and I took a pic but I was one the road so I only got a crappy cell phone pic and it wasn't worth posting.

About 3 feet tall, needs some refining and texturing, then hard coating and painting.

You'll notice I do my carving outside and not in the living room. That's because if I made a mess like that in the living room my wife would HURT me in ways only a man can fully understand! :o :lol:

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2010-12-09 18:45 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3035 replies