Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

MadDog Mike's Platterful of Pupule - Pele Fence Hanger

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,035 replies

DITTO WHAT ROBB SAID!
OCTO-BARREL....GOOD!
VERY GOOD!!!!
Your imagination is a national treasure!
the rest of you......eh!
:)

You rock...

Mike I just saw the photos posted from the chop. It was so good to see you working on the ------ with your friends. I won't say until you post photos. Fun, Wendy

Hey hang10tiki you just said I rock so couldn't Mike roll?

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2011-09-06 16:07 ]

Z

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT!
PS- we missed you in San diego.

Bead, Hang10, Zero - thank you very much. Zero I missed you guys too, maybe next year.

Robb & Kinny - I am still years from mastering this artform but I'm getting where my hands can form some crude semblence of what my twisted little brain imagines.

Wendy, it was great to get together with some of the TC folk to eat, yak, and art. This was kind of a last minute project, by the night before the Chop I still didn't have a project to work on. I looked through my "inspiration file" and found a picture of a chimp I had taken a few years back. This IS a tiki board and I really do think that most of the art should be tiki inspired, so I need to "tikify" this guy a little. I'm thinking a pith helmet. A ceramic hat would be too heavy, fragile and would rattle too much. I'm thinking polymer clay - much lighter and less fragile, with a Millefiore tapa hat band and maybe some PNG accoutrements. I envision that the chimp found the hat on the jungle trail and is pretty damned proud of it. Working title is "One Man's Trash is Another Chimp's Treasure" Still a lot of clean up to do and a slow dry as he's pretty thick in some spots.

Be good to yourself and to the ones you love

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2011-09-07 06:03 ]

B

NICE! :wink:

S

That's awesome MDM. Looking forward to seeing him finished.

I almost forgot. Two photos from Oasis.

You in your MadDogMike shirt in 2010.

This year a guy wearing a shirt that had me thinking about your shirt from the year before.

Has the chimp dried yet? He's a cutie just like you! Smiles, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2011-09-08 11:14 ]

Love the chimp's head bowl, Mike. It reminds me of this movie scene...

Know any good recipes for monkey brains? :lol:

Bear

Lovin' the chimp Mike!!

Hey Mike, when did you decide to do a self portrait? The likeness is remarkable! :lol:

Yes, the evil little voices were whispering to me again. :wink:

tigertail777, I love digital artist's who add so much fun to our threads, thank you for this one, Mike's so cute, Wendy

What a bunch of crazies populate this place - that's a good thing! TigerTail, I had told Wendy in a PM that it was a self portrait, I guess you could see the resemblance too :lol: Thanks for all the kind comments, the chimp is still drying slowly. He spends about 12 hours a day drying and 12 hours a day wrapped in plastic for the moisture to equilibrate. He may be ready to bisque fire by this weekend but I had better get on the ball and order some glaze for him!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Sep 12, 2011 9:07 PM

Nice lookin' cchimper there, Maddoggy. Apes must be in season right now.

M
mp posted on Mon, Sep 12, 2011 9:27 PM

My Monkey Brain just hit the floor! Are you still telling
people your not a "real" artist? :)
By the way, I couldnt find a MDM thread in the Tiki Gallery. What gives?

Damn, Mike your on fire!
In a good way......
not real fire...don't panic
It's just an expression...
no really it's a good kind of fire?

MDM, he's right you need a Gallery thread so we can just scroll down all of your wonderful and creative art without text. Another project! Wendy

I have a gallery thread, The Maddoggery. But I just quietly add updates by editing the first post so it's found at the very bottom of the Gallery forum :D

Dammit, that was supposed to be a PM :lol:

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2011-09-13 19:50 ]

That's OK Mike I didn't know about the Maddoggery either and through your mis-post got to see your other works. So you know... a happy mistake. Fantastic stuff. :)

All these years and I never knew, I'm gonna go look tomorrow. (: Wendy

GROG, MP, Chuck, Wendy, Jesse - THANK YOU!

Been a couple of weeks since I last posted but my chimp project has not died out. My kiln is down for repairs and I have been working on a couple of non-tiki projects. But the chimp is scheduled to fire in someone else's kiln tomorrow (it's good to have friends :) ).

I'm planning a polymer clay pith helmet for him with a tapa cloth hatband so I started working on tapa cloth millifiore canes. I haven't done much cane work but I think the technique has potential for tapa cloth.

(for you old-timers, no that's not my fake dime :lol: )

Nifty, I've seen that technique used but haven't tried it myself yet.

Bear

I can't help it... all I can think of is candy... taffy or caramel when I see those. :lol:
I am curious how do you do this technique to get those shapes...think you can post a step by step on how its done?

Sorry to hear about the kiln, but good to see you working again. :)

Thanks Bear & Tiger. Tiger, the millefiore (thousands of flowers) technique has been used for centuries by Venetian glass workers and adapted to polymer clay. I have only tried the technique a couple of times, there are lots of tutorials out there - much better than I can make :D Here is one on making orange slices, this one is pretty simple but some are very complex. You can make the cane with big pieces so it's easy to work with, then after it's assembled, roll it out as small as you want - the pattern stays but just gets smaller. Then you slice the cane, apply it to a surface and bake it.

neato, I cant wait to see how your hatband comes out I love playing with that sculpy stuff.

HOTDOG!!! Looks like I'm back in business! Replaced the KilnSitter plunger and cam spring, seems to be working now. Threw in a few witness cones and doing a test firing - I'll know by bedtime if I did any good :D

Nice! I'm anxious to see that chimp done!

Thanks for the link Mike... ok now I get it. I may have to try that some time. :)

Good photos, Wendy

In an effort to make my non-tiki chimp into tiki, I'm concocting a cockamamie story that he found a pith helmet while vacationing in Papua New Guinea. Made from polymer clay, including the tapa hatband. I'll do the final shaping after the chimp is out of the kiln

I like it.

Bear

On 2011-09-28 21:14, Brudda Bear wrote:

I like it.

Bear

I concur......to the max!

H

Love the pith helmet. Would be interesting to see a tiki mug (monkey, skull, zombie, shrunken head?) and then a pith helmet top for the mug. kind of like the Don the Beach mugs you know?

That helmet is the piths!!!

Mike, that hat is the best one ever made. It's a beautiful work of art. I love the shading, texture, stitching depressions and the band. Super cool, Wendy

S

Yeah. It's OK.

Pith helmet=GREAT!
:)

Awesome pith helmet Mike!!

My dad says its a construction helmet. :lol: Looking good Mike! :)

Anyone seen Dr. Watson?

Thanks for the support guys, this one has taken me a while to finish. Tiger, I think your dad's right :lol:

SOKWE FINDS A HAT
Using last year’s Christmas bonus, Sokwe took his family on vacation this summer to Papua New Guinea. After a 3 day trek out of Rukwa, Tanzania to Dar es Salaam, they caught a $99 supersaver flight on Sepik River Airlines to Port Moresby. During the week-long trip they feasted on roasted fruit bat and bought a cheap souvenir gope board. It was on an eco-tour of Mailu Island that Sokwe found this hat with it’s tapa cloth hatband, and shrunken head. Maybe discarded by some early century explorer, perhaps even Malinowski, Bernatzit, or Hurley. Look how proud he is with his new hat, what a story Sokwe will have to tell his grandchimps someday.

Here's a bit of irony, in 3 years I have made only 2 pieces that included feathers - looks like the same collector is going to end up with both of them :D

Outstanding Mike!!!

Awesome job Mike! Congrats!

I was thinking it was a new hat for Rory.

Of coarse you and C'Al would have to shrink

his head at Primitive to make it fit! :wink:

Good stuff MDM!!!

Awesome...and story is great!!!

Mike you are the best. I love your monkey and that hat rocks, Wendy

Awesome Mike! That is one tiny little shrunken head...that thing could fit in a martini! :lol:
Love the story and the art, so great to see you still producing. If this is a self portrait, do I want to know what the orange eyes indicate? :P

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3035 replies