Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The show me your Witco thread.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,611 replies

I can't be sure, but that looks like a set that was at Retro Inferno (another KC antique store) back in the early 2000s.

On 2012-07-16 12:38, SilverLine wrote:
Well it isn't MY Witco, and likely won't be, but this stuff is SOOO rare around here that I have to post it!

Found this complete set of living room furniture at a new antique mall in town. Sofa, chairs, tables tamps AND 4 barstools (not pictured).

No tiki, no animals, but pure Witco.

Fabric looks original (as does all of it) and the whole thing is in pretty nice comdition. They wanted $2,500 for the set, if I remember right.

Estate Sale find in SHARON PA.
VERY reasoable.

HT

On 2012-09-17 09:47, TIKI DAVID wrote:
VERY reasoable.

What the heck are you doing in my neck of the woods buying awesome Witco!?

Also, is it still available, or did you pick it up? Looks great!

HT

I have it over in the Marketplace. It's quite nice. If no one wants it, I'm going to (possibly) bastardize it to make an amazing "Witco" Canoe.

On 2012-09-17 18:03, Hale Tiki wrote:

On 2012-09-17 09:47, TIKI DAVID wrote:
VERY reasoable.

What the heck are you doing in my neck of the woods buying awesome Witco!?

Also, is it still available, or did you pick it up? Looks great!

Thats it ,sitting in my back yard.

On 2012-09-17 18:05, Hale Tiki wrote:

I have it over in the Marketplace. It's quite nice. If no one wants it, I'm going to (possibly) bastardize it to make an amazing "Witco" Canoe.

Hey! don't break up a piece of art.
if you need a witco canoe,I've got a loose one kicking around the warehouse
somewhere. PM me you address and I'll send it to you.

T

Can anyone help me understand what the fabric is like on a Witco outrigger or similar wall hanging?

I just acquired one, probably overpaying a bit for my impatience. Regardless, it is currently backed with a light blue knit fabric that I am fairly confident isn't original. Since it's already been tweaked, I'd like to restore it to something that appears more original. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

There's are some bits of orange paint on the back, so I'm guessing the original would have had some type of painted woven fabric?

Off the top of my head, I'm considering recovering with something like a primed canvas then rolling on the appropriate color. Does that make sense, or is there a more appropriate fabric? What about the paint -- matte or gloss? I've looked online and reviewed Tiki Modern, but is there a place I can find a closeup of the fabric?

I realize I'm asking a lot of questions, but I appreciate any help or advice you can provide.

Thanks, Tom.

Burlap

On 2012-09-17 21:36, happy buddha wrote:
Burlap

It's really that simple? For some reason, I assumed that the board would show through the fabric.

But burlap's cheap. I'll pick up a couple of yards and give it a try.

Thanks.

Look for burlap that is already colored.
it's out there.
I've had red,yellow,orange & aqua

T

On 2012-09-18 03:51, TIKI DAVID wrote:

Found. I think the closest match is burnt sienna.

I'll give it a try and post before/after pictures.

Thanks everyone for your help.

D
Dagg posted on Sat, Sep 22, 2012 3:37 PM

scored for 15 bucks at a thrift store today. Too bad its butt ugly and not tiki....

looks like someone put a new frame and fabric on it, but the original stuff is still there, so thats cool....

D
Dagg posted on Sat, Sep 22, 2012 3:47 PM

a buddy gave me this about 20 years ago, its been sitting in my basement collecting dust. Almost threw it out a few times! I had no idea what it was until found this site.

glad I kept it!

D
Dagg posted on Sun, Sep 23, 2012 12:27 PM

Hi again
I have a couple of questions for the experts here, regarding the ship I posted above..

The backing for the canvas is flimsy particle board, is this normal/original?
Would it be wrong of me to replace it with something a little beefier like plywood or osb?

Thanks in advance for any help
Darren

It's original. As a collector of vintage artifacts, I never mess with their authentic condition. The cheapness of Witco is part of its charm and genius. Note for example that the Viking shields are made from drawer pulls. If the backing is soiled and stained, I would just clean as best as possible. This is only my personal take on it, I have seen some Witco pieces integrated into Tiki environments quite well by having them fixed up. It's a matter of personal preference.

And: I always remind folks that just because it's Witco, it doesn't mean it's art, they made a lot of mundane stuff. Certainly not all Witco is Tiki.

D
Dagg posted on Sun, Sep 23, 2012 5:45 PM

On 2012-09-23 16:39, bigbrotiki wrote:
It's original. As a collector of vintage artifacts, I never mess with their authentic condition. The cheapness of Witco is part of its charm and genius. Note for example that the Viking shields are made from drawer pulls. If the backing is soiled and stained, I would just clean as best as possible. This is only my personal take on it, I have seen some Witco pieces integrated into Tiki environments quite well by having them fixed up. It's a matter of personal preference.

And: I always remind folks that just because it's Witco, it doesn't mean it's art, they made a lot of mundane stuff. Certainly not all Witco is Tiki.

Thank you very much for your reply.
I will leave the particle board as is, but I am removing the paper (wallpaper?) that is covering the original yellow/green canvas. Its coming off fairly easy seems like it was applied with some sort of water based adhesive.

thanks again

On 2012-09-23 16:39, bigbrotiki wrote:

Well said, Sven.

On 2012-09-22 15:47, Dagg wrote:
a buddy gave me this about 20 years ago, its been sitting in my basement collecting dust. Almost threw it out a few times! I had no idea what it was until found this site.

glad I kept it!

super cool....

On 2012-10-02 13:43, Alfie the Moai wrote:

On 2012-09-22 15:47, Dagg wrote:

glad I kept it!

super cool....

Parlez vous Conquistador?

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12151&forum=5&vpost=653846

D
Dagg posted on Tue, Oct 2, 2012 2:30 PM

Don Quixote is my hero

Went thru all 80 pages of this thread, and found my answer on page 17....so now I'm just gonna post a pic of my $10 prize and keep smiling the crazy smile I've had all day since I bought it this morning....

Noice score Erich! And fer a Ten spot!

T

On 2012-09-18 03:51, TIKI DAVID wrote:

Thanks for your help. I ended up with some linen upholstery fabric, since the burlap I found was showed too much of the backing board.

Before:

and after:

It's also held together much more securely. For the record, the framing points previously used weren't going to permanently hold a heavy sheet of MDF into narrow molding with no extra rabbet depth.

No procedural pictures, since I got lazy and outsourced this one to Kathleen at The Glenn Custom Framing in El Cerrito. I highly recommend her if you're in the East Bay, she knows a lot about Hawaiiana and does a great job with weird stuff like tapa cloth ceiling panels for my breakfast nook. BTW, the web site is out of date. She's across the street and has regular Saturday hours now.

Finally, installed:

Please forgive the white walls -- tiki wasn't originally going to make it into this room but I'm running out of wall space.

Okay, I looked thru all 79 pages, searched, etc.... Hoping the experts will help ... Thanks in advance..

Witco or not?

(yes, I know it's not tiki)

TD

NOT.

Thanks...I kinda figured.... the man didn't seem right, but the base did.

TD

remember, the "NOT" is just my opinion,I could be wrong.

Not Witco, sorry......

Here is my first Witco. I'm new at this and still learning. I take it some Witco pieces are in higher demand than others. Is anyone familiar with this one? I feel like I got it for a good price at about $100.00........
Of course my dream Witco would be the World Map!

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Rotated image. - 2012-10-11 11:31 ]

bad news... i don't think it's witco....

Really? It has a stamp on the back. Could the stamp be fake? I'll put a pic of it below.

little too quick on the draw there Mcstagger.

Nice one!

On 2012-10-11 12:49, TIKI DAVID wrote:
little too quick on the draw there Mcstagger.

whoops !! looks like i stepped in it again !! who knew?

you still over paid for it.... plus it's not tiki and it's ugly as hell, so there....

sorry.... had to go there too !!

okay, just kidding.... I've clearly never seen one like that before but i'm no expert anyway...

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2012-10-17 09:33 ]

On 2012-10-17 09:32, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
whoops !! looks like i stepped in it again !! who knew?

you still over paid for it.... plus it's not tiki and it's ugly as hell, so there....

sorry.... had to go there too !!

okay, just kidding.... I've clearly never seen one like that before but i'm no expert anyway...

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2012-10-17 09:33 ]

"The boy has got a point ,Ethel"

"The boy has got a point ,Ethel"

...and it's not just on the top of my head !!

Do you really think it's ugly and I paid too much??? Oh we'll, I like it anyway!!!

I also just scored a World Map and will be picking it up tomorrow!!! I probably overpaid for that too ($500) but I don't care-I'm excited to have found one!

In MY opinion,
cost averaging,$600.00, the map is consistently bringing $1000.00 ,or more.
I'd say you did well.
figure it this way, you paid $600.00 for the $1000.00 'Map' and got the 'Jug' for free.

Thanks. By the way, you just re-named that piece for me. I like "jug" much better than "Urn" which was all I could think of!

On 2012-10-18 23:56, tetwilson wrote:
Do you really think it's ugly and I paid too much??? Oh we'll, I like it anyway!!!

..did you really not read the rest of my post or was the "i'm kidding" part lost on you ?

On 2012-10-19 09:53, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

On 2012-10-18 23:56, tetwilson wrote:

..did you really not read the rest of my post or was the "i'm kidding" part lost on you ?

Bro, just wanted you to know that from where I'm sitting, you are one sorry douchebag

JUST KIDDING!!!

nah, yer a straight-up douchebag alright. :~D

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.