Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The show me your Witco thread.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,611 replies

On 2011-01-14 20:38, boutiki wrote:

On 2011-01-10 19:16, Big Kahuna wrote:
I agree with Sven. C'mon Duke, let's see some pics of your digs. All I've ever seen is a few tease shots.

OK. I'll post some pics of our place when I can put together some that give a sense of the space.

-Duke

Here's one more "tease", if you permit... :)

The Carters inhabit one of those mid-century marvels that one would find in Palm Springs, or in the pages of Atomic Ranch. Decorated with modernist finery accumulated in years of collecting and dealing, a real eye candy experience.

On 2011-01-14 19:50, boutiki wrote:
OK, so a friend gave me a pair of these lamps, which I think are super cool. But the thing that has me baffled is that I've never seen a Witco lamp with the wiring/ hardware on the exterior. They have always been run directly through the carving. Any ideas?
-Duke

no it's not,remember seeing one of mine last time you were here?
it was wired the same way.although ,no pic of the back right now.
and ,hey the 'SCOLARI' looks good on the web site.

"Pets are welcome,Children 'MUST' be on leash" TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2011-01-15 06:00 ]

I think I saw a Witco Stagecoach artwork at a local Calgary thrift store. It utilized one sculptural piece of metal for the wheels and frame and (cedar?) wood for the central coach part. All on a red velvet(y?) background. The metal had oxidized (turned green) and appeared sort of jagged. If anyone wants it, it was at the Value Village near Chinook Centre as of yesterday afternoon. I have no idea of the price. Wish I had a pic.

Can anyone tell me if Witco made such a design? Just curious.

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2011-02-01 08:43 ]

Sounds likely to be a fine piece of Conquistador Witco.

Duke, can't help you on those lamps. The shade is not original for sure, but as Witco sometimes experimented with their designs for just a season or so, this could be an example of such a short lived trial period.

H

I was lucky enough to score 2 witco's in a month. First is a Witco globe. This one is signed with the "Wilrongo" Sig. I have not seen any other atlas that are signed.

Witco Tag

This is the other. not marked, but I think it's a witco. Play boy pool mask?

T

Does anyone know if this is could be a real Witco?

I have never seen a Witco like this.

There's one on page 199 in Tiki Modern, but with a different background and frame. You have the earlier version, which is better, and more common, they started making it in the 60s. Your orange looks so clean, did it get repainted?

M

I won this at auction over the weekend,it came out of Ypsilanti,mich.The auctioneer said the seller wondered if it was worth anything.

All i need is the rest of him and i'll have a fountain.

T

Here's what the back of the Witco girl wall hanging looks like:

It appears to have been painted orange originally.

And how it looks with a long-lost friend (the Witco bar)

Ollie

[ Edited by: 2011-03-19 20:29 ]

Nice! That does look like the original paint, then. It also came with other background colors.
One of our members here bought an original, un-renovated mid-century modern home a couple of years ago....

...WITH "Luana" hanging on the wall in the same place where she had hung since being purchased by the original owner!

Found today...

Witco bench!

Later,

PTD

On 2011-03-05 09:50, hecktow wrote:
I was lucky enough to score 2 witco's in a month. First is a Witco globe. This one is signed with the "Wilrongo" Sig. I have not seen any other atlas that are signed.

Witco Tag

This is the other. not marked, but I think it's a witco. Play boy pool mask?

Did you happen to get the globe in Palm Springs? I saw one of these in a shop, but was gone a few weeks later.

Ok, so I don't 'have' this Witco, but in a Heywood-Wakefield catalog for their Cliff House-line of furniture (sold between 1964-1966), there is a color photo of what appears to be two Witco carvings in the background.

On 2011-04-10 12:58, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
Found today...

Witco bench!

Later,

PTD

Glad someone picked that up. I am assuming you got it at the Alameda Antique Fair? I passed on it due to no space and a Witco-hating girlfriend...

My guess that this is not a Witco but my curiosity led me to this thread and I feel like you guys are the most qualified to identify this piece for me.

I think you'll have to go to
WWW. SHITSTEVENKINGSEESINHISHEAD.COM

On 2011-05-08 11:48, TIKI DAVID wrote:

Damn! You actually got me to try that URL!

On 2011-04-29 11:06, Cool Manchu wrote:

Found today...

Witco bench!

Later,

PTD

Glad someone picked that up. I am assuming you got it at the Alameda Antique Fair? I passed on it due to no space and a Witco-hating girlfriend...

Nope, Cool Manchu...This was found at the Sacramento Antique Fair last month. Probably not sold in Alameda then made it's way to Sac. I got a really good deal on it though.

PTD

On 2011-05-08 11:48, TIKI DAVID wrote:

Didn't get me...muhaaahaa!

Out doing some chores and popped into a church rummage sale. Usually don't find much at these, but low and behold, over in the corner was this and boy was it dusty but in decent shape...

This is a behemoth 29"x59". The first piece I have found with the "Wilrongo" signature. I currently have no room to hang this, so I will probably end up selling it, but I do like the size of the piece and the blue color.

Later,

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2011-05-14 10:43 ]

On 2011-05-08 09:53, frankensteinsbride1313 wrote:
My guess that this is not a Witco but my curiosity led me to this thread and I feel like you guys are the most qualified to identify this piece for me.

Bump.

Any clue?

It is my belief that what you have there is the unfortunate offspring of an unholy union between a Witco collector and an OWL collectress

B
Babalu posted on Thu, Jun 2, 2011 7:57 PM

On 2011-05-08 16:13, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

On 2011-04-29 11:06, Cool Manchu wrote:

Found today...

Witco bench!

Later,

PTD

Nope, Cool Manchu...This was found at the Sacramento Antique Fair last month. Probably not sold in Alameda then made it's way to Sac. I got a really good deal on it though.

PTD

Crusin' the web, I found this tasty little tid-bit that I thought might intrest you. That green just screams....well, green!

Look's like you could sleep the whole famliy in that hotel room there. :)

K
KAHAKA posted on Thu, Jun 2, 2011 9:38 PM

I've stayed in that room!!! It rules... there's a Witco carving on the wall in the back bedroom that you can't see in the pic too.

I gotta stay in that room some day... some day.

I found this bowl today, looks like Witco to me:

the notched edge especially made me think of Witco:

waddaya think?

...it kinda reminds me of this one PTD found a while ago:

-Trad'r Bill

picked this up today for $6, is it Witco?

BigRed, my guess would be no, it's not Witco.

Today on craigslist...

Later,

PTD

Ok... I found a pair of similar stools like the set posted below by sneakypete

alittle wear and tear and the cushions are long gone. Anybody have a idea what a ballpark price would be. The orig. tag for the dealer (antique. store) was 289.00pr They have them marked way down from there, but I have no idea what is fair. Thoughts anyone???

Came across this boat that looks like Witco, but I couldn't find any documentation to verify.

Can anybody confirm?

Yes that is Witco...without the backing. We have one leaning against the wall in our apartment because Leleliz has run out of places to hang stuff.

Good find!

Hey guys! I can post in this thread at long last! I've been looking for a Witco bar (or 2) forever, but still can't find one... I found these guys on vacation today though:

Tiki Shield (Still lights up!!)

And the Conquistador weapon. This thing is easily 6ft tall (taller than me anyway)..in great shape, still has the swanky red velvet on it:

I'm really more interested in finding a few Witco tiki/jungle items for my bar, so if you need the Conquistador piece for your collection, please pm me. I'd rather it go to someone that needs it more. Maybe we could trade??

I'm in Columbus, Ohio. (hopefully these pics work)

[ Edited by: happy buddha 2011-07-29 20:40 ]

Wow, great find! That shield is easily one of the most ridiculous, cliche Jungle Exotica pieces from the Witco line, it could have hung in Graceland. A hard to find item, congrats!

Someone should carry that Conquistador piece to this year's Tiki Oasis...

are these witco???

I would say no. If you look at the wood, the grain is all wrong and witco carvings were carved with a chainsaw and do not exhibit chisel marks like those seen on this desk. The theme is also questionable - looks american indian or southwestern. The wood looks too heavy unlike the soft wood traditionally used for witco carving.

that said, you will still be able to fool someone on ebay into thinking this is witco and be able to sell it.

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2011-07-30 18:19 ]

by the way, i have a chair also. i am looking for any information on the table. i will post pictures of the chair later. if, in fact, it IS witco i will be interested in selling them. i am in columbus, ohio.

it's not.

thanks for looking : )

what the HECK is it>>?? lol, lol. any ideas on google searches??

excuse the mess, didn't want to bring it upstairs. no?? the backing of it and webbing of wood is interesting...

Bigbro: Thanks! I was stoked to find that shield! It already has a place of honor on my wall. Now if I can just find the bar to go under it.. :)

Galaxywomun: Wow. 2 posts from Columbus in a row in the same Witco thread. Ohio tiki represent!

I'll do a post in marketplace for the Conquistador weapon; I'd like that to find a good home from someone on here.

On 2011-07-30 19:49, happy buddha wrote:
Now if I can just find the bar to go under it.. :)

How many bars do you want?
check your PM's

WITCO art 'display easel'
adjustable top and bottom, it will hold Large or Small art.
but I think it looks best holding 'Witco'
Anyone know if they used these in the 'WITCO SHOWROOMS'?

J

My grandpartents had two pieces of Witco for 40 years. After their death they were sold!!! I am now searching for these pieces to purchase. If anyone has these pieces and are willing to sell them please contact me at [email protected]

Thanks

Picked this up at the weekly flea market at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, IL for a whopping $20. It's 47" x 3"x 23". The green wrap is burlap. Signed "Wilrongo." Has anyone else seen one of these?
Good Hunting!

On 2011-08-15 07:29, John the Mainlander wrote:
Picked this up at the weekly flea market at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, IL for a whopping $20. It's 47" x 3"x 23". The green wrap is burlap. Signed "Wilrongo." Has anyone else seen one of these?
Good Hunting!

you overpaid !!

Haha, very funny. That is a pretty cool mod Witco, I've not come across one like it in the wild. Good find.

Scored this yesterday!!! It needs some TLC but I'm a happy owner. The original zebra print is under the black, but, it looks pretty rough. I haven't done a search yet, but any restoration suggestions would be appreciated.

One of the stools is cracked pretty badly and the base of the bar needs some repair for a little more sturdiness.

Crack in stool

The masks after a quick clean and pledge

It was nice meeting a few of you at the Rose Bowl yesterday. I was selling the vintage Hawaiian shirts wearing the Kahanmoku's "Suck 'em Up!" shirt.

Happy hunting everyone! Keep it up. I never thought I'd have one of these sitting in my garage waiting to be fixed up and put in my tiki room.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1611 replies