Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The show me your Witco thread.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,611 replies

Looks like a bar stool version of the God of Good Fortune, never seen one before! I don't recall it in one of their Tiki home bar sets, so it might be a one-of. Nice find.

Thanks for the info per usual Sven!!

Couldn't leave this guy behind at the antique store so I had too fork over three bucks to take him home.

Damn you Trav! How are you finding such good stuff around here? I can't even post the run-of-the-mill stuff I'm still picking up!

Large Witco ship #2 found today...

Large and heavy-will be up for sale soon!

Later,

PTD

Found in Maine.

I just found these at a rummage sale today. Do they have value?

Picked this guy up yesterday....

" I may not know karate..... but I do know crazy !!"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2012-05-05 11:53 ]

Tipsy: awesome

BK

SCORE! Bought this, today, at the Brimfield Antique Show.

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!

I mean, congrats!! :)

Double post

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2012-05-10 07:24 ]

Triple post!

But while I'm here. It's a real Congrats! ( along with a bitter aaaarrrrgggghhhh since I'm not going to Brimfield until Tomorrow)

:)

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2012-05-10 07:25 ]

BK

Thanks, Carl. I think! :lol:

Nice find BK,

I hope to find one of those in the wild myself one of these days...

D

Geez, Duane! You're my Tiki hunting hero. I actually found something you haven't? I'm feeling a bit arrogant, right now! :D

On 2012-05-10 16:08, Big Kahuna wrote:
Geez, Duane! You're my Tiki hunting hero. I actually found something you haven't? I'm feeling a bit arrogant, right now! :D

You should take the high road and send him the map BK :)

You know because tiki karma will come back to you that way and you may find another one !

Todays 'barn finds'

Found this huge Witco carriage (At least I hope It's Witco) at the waning moments of garage sale today for $10. It’s strange because the carriage part is carved wood but the wheels and surrounding sculpture around it is made of metal.

[ Edited by: naugatiki 2012-05-19 15:58 ]

found today ,garage sale.

"Pets are welcome,Children 'MUST' be on leash" TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2012-05-25 11:47 ]

Garage sale, holy geez!
TD has to be the king of the happenstance Witco find. Beautiful stuffs.

On 2012-05-25 15:11, happy buddha wrote:
TD has to be the king of the happenstance Witco find.

alittle more to it than that,I was 25 miles away when I got the call.

Great finds as always David!

I have a question on a painting we just picked up. The frame and carving, as well as the back look like witco to my untrained eye, but maybe you folks can lend a hand in identification?

Thanks Everyone!

it's witco all the way- they made a number of pieces like this with the hand painted flowers and such mixed with carved elements of wood......

L

On 2012-06-07 21:01, Captaintony wrote:
I have a question on a painting we just picked up. The frame and carving, as well as the back look like witco to my untrained eye, but maybe you folks can lend a hand in identification?

To anyone, you might as well just start answering Captaintony's inevitable follow-up question now: What is it worth?

This is a rare looking one, I would hang it up with some carved owls if you have some of those.

[ Edited by: gold zephyr 2012-06-09 21:35 ]

Thanks everyone,

We're a bit new to collecting Witco, so i'm not that versed in their work, I've ordered the Tiki Modern Book, but until then, this seemed like the best resource.

Loki - It could be that we actually plan on putting it on our wall, but thanks for the vote of confidence. I've got a collection of just under 30 mugs, and so far I've sold 0

As to the owls, as I said, this is our first piece.

North Florida isn't really a clearing house for Tiki anything, so finding an authentic Witco at a great price at a thrift store was exciting.

C

On 2012-06-10 17:07, Captaintony wrote:
Thanks everyone,

We're a bit new to collecting Witco, so i'm not that versed in their work, I've ordered the Tiki Modern Book, but until then, this seemed like the best resource.

Loki - It could be that we actually plan on putting it on our wall, but thanks for the vote of confidence. I've got a collection of just under 30 mugs, and so far I've sold 0

As to the owls, as I said, this is our first piece.

North Florida isn't really a clearing house for Tiki anything, so finding an authentic Witco at a great price at a thrift store was exciting.

C

Absolutely an excellent come back to the 'SNARKS'.
I salute you.

On 2012-06-10 17:14, TIKI DAVID wrote:
Absolutely an excellent come back to the 'SNARKS'.
I salute you.

Yeah, I agree with Tiki David -- nice retort. Captaintony great find for you. I always liked the painted pieces with carved wood accents like yours--thanks for sharing your piece and hope you get lucky and find more out and about!

The only Witco I love...the map...congrats BK!!!

Why, Thank You nice lady! :lol:

On 2012-06-10 17:27, VampiressRN wrote:
The only Witco I love...the map...congrats BK!!!

W

Since kspock didn't repost his/her pics from this thread I'm posting them for those who want to see all things Witco and for those who might actually search existing threads for an item (or subject) instead of starting a new one.

Photo by kspock

Photo by kspock

Photo by kspock

meet the new guy;

kinda looks like the old guy;

yep. I think they could be brothers;

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2012-06-27 16:11 ]

Tiki David..finding Witco? Say it isn't so!

I got the whole witco world in my hands...

picked this one up recently That I have never seen before....

24" dia and 3 feet tall including the hanger.....

Very nice Tipsy!

TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2012-07-02 16:38 ]

I saw this sitting on a wall at my local antique store. The wood grain made me wonder if this is Witco. Anyone seen anything like this piece before? Thanks yall for any help you can provide. I didnt pick it up because it kinda just screams random tribal mask to me,but if it is witco I will run and get it because I have zero witco pieces, and this will be the first one I have ever seen.

[ Edited by: The Quiet Village 2012-07-08 10:25 ]

This is a really long thread, so I didn't look at every page. Don't remember seeing this Wilrongo ship before.

DC

Hey DC, I think that one is called the "Sea Witch"

On 2012-07-08 10:23, The Quiet Village wrote:
I saw this sitting on a wall at my local antique store. The wood grain made me wonder if this is Witco. Anyone seen anything like this piece before? Thanks yall for any help you can provide. I didnt pick it up because it kinda just screams random tribal mask to me,but if it is witco I will run and get it because I have zero witco pieces, and this will be the first one I have ever seen.

[ Edited by: The Quiet Village 2012-07-08 10:25 ]

It's a rare Witco -Tiki- Jackalope.
:o

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2012-07-10 19:40 ]

Yup, it's Witco - Witco was doing a lot of "random tribal mask" stuff in their day, I call it "modern primitive". They did a bunch of African-named pieces, yet their classic African bar has a Papua New Guinea mask on the front - it's a melange called "Tiki Modern".

Not so much stemming from the Polynesian restaurant fad but from the appreciation that modern artists had for ALL "primitive" art early in the 20th Century, which made its way into middle-class living rooms in the mid-century. Though Bill Westenhaver acknowledged that the Polynesian craze gave Witco its major boost, he as a typical mid-century modern artist was not married to the Polynesian theme. Plus, most of his business was in home decor, not bar decor.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-07-11 17:33 ]

Well it isn't MY Witco, and likely won't be, but this stuff is SOOO rare around here that I have to post it!

Found this complete set of living room furniture at a new antique mall in town. Sofa, chairs, tables tamps AND 4 barstools (not pictured).

No tiki, no animals, but pure Witco.

Fabric looks original (as does all of it) and the whole thing is in pretty nice comdition. They wanted $2,500 for the set, if I remember right.

Flaire Furniture ad from 1967

scored this tiki shield and spear recently....

A Witco Port and Starboard light carving

DC

T

Witco, available in Maine... About 4 x 5 feet.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1611 replies