Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The show me your Witco thread.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,611 replies

sven quote;
"Trav, that is a well-made Wahine chair, congrats. I don't really know how to fix the blemishes. I use Feed'n'Wax wood preserver, but the lighter, scuffed spots always stay a little lighter."

use a little Min-wax special walnut stain on the scuffed spots first ,then the HOWARDS feed and wax.

Thanks for the tips on touching up the finish guys. Sven, WOW!!! fantastic post and info on the Wahine chair. Puts a whole new outlook on the piece for me. Fantastic job. I have done a bit of work on the chair but still a way to go. I posted pics here
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37273&forum=18&0 and thanks again for the new insight into the chair.

L

On 2010-07-28 06:38, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

love this fountain!

T

Witco tiki mask. Found stuck in the back of a consignment shop.

L

Never was a big fan of Witco but really love these modern pieces..nice find Tikipedia :)

Two I found off Craigslist for $20:

The moral of my story is always ask the person selling you the goods if they think they have any more tiki stuff...sometimes they do.

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2010-08-07 22:05 ]

K

Thank you very much to everyone that has participated in this thread. I've seen so many great pieces showcased here. I picked up a piece that the seller claimed was Witco but had no confirmation until I found a picture and a description listed here. Sure enough, it was.

On 2010-08-07 13:53, leleliz wrote:
Never was a big fan of Witco but really love these modern pieces..nice find Tikipedia :)

L

Tiki David you are not allowed to post anymore modern Tiki OR vintage bars UNLESS you promise to roadtrip your way to California to sell your stuff to us folks!

Love this new find.

L

Tiki David you are not allowed to post anymore modern Tiki OR vintage bars UNLESS you promise to roadtrip your way to California to sell your stuff to us folks!

Love this new find.

Well, this isn't MY Witco, although I did try to make it so. This was sold at auction tonight . . went for $275.00. It did go to somebody who'll appreciate it, though. Here he is with it. (I didn't get permission to "publish" this photo, which is why he's all blurred out. Just think of him as being in "Witco-protection."

Funny!: " I will not publicly be associated with ...WITCO!"

That piece looks like new, it's in such mint condition. Never seen it before, is it a Lyre? Are those diamonds plastic or paint?

On 2010-08-31 21:20, bigbrotiki wrote:
That piece looks like new, it's in such mint condition. Never seen it before, is it a Lyre? Are those diamonds plastic or paint?

Not sure of the material but the diamonds do stand proud of the background so it's more than just paint. Hard to say what it "is." It reminds me of some musical instrument Spock would have played on Star Trek. There is one other pictured here on this thread but it lacks the frame and background.

There were only four of us at the auction who knew what it was. The others just stood with their mouths agape as the bidding when higher and higher. One spectator shook her head and said, "I don't see it." as bidding closed. Personally, I wish there had been three fewer people there who were interested. It's damn cool!

Oh well. Off to the thrift stores.

Is this Witco? (Today's flea mkt. Two bucks.)

Aber Yah! Kinda the big brother of this lil' guy in Tiki Modern:

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Sep 5, 2010 2:31 PM

On 2009-06-08 04:26, Paipo wrote:
Definitely sweeter in the right light (and with a clean & coat of beeswax paste):

:D

I have his lil' bro and his twin's head! These guys live right here beside my computer and have really grown on me over the year or so I've had 'em. Even the wife has turned around!
I'm still thinking these may be the only Witco tikis in NZ and have been giving serious thought to attempting to track down that outrigger wall piece I saw listed a couple of years back....pretty sure the seller may still have it.

That's awesome! Just goes to show: Keep your eyes open and you can still find amazing Tiki. Thanks, guys.

TD

"Pets are welcome,Children 'MUST' be on leash" TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2010-09-07 05:44 ]

Anyone seen this bar before...

Thanks,

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2010-09-14 04:42 ]

I have never see it before but what a cute size. Its like the Witco Sport model.

most likely a hostess stand.
I like it.

L

Need it! You better have been allowed to buy it Duane!

it's a hostess stand- similiar to the one at chef shangri-la but theirs doesn't have the tiger stripe fabric....

yesterday off craigslist

some sort of flat black stain ,but it wire brushes right off
so.... they are savable

"Pets are welcome,Children 'MUST' be on leash" TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2010-09-24 05:57 ]

K

On 2010-09-14 04:39, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
Anyone seen this bar before...

Thanks,

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2010-09-14 04:42 ]

Hey PTD
nice find!!!
here is a picture of your bar.
The picture is from a 1969 Witco catalog. The Bar is called "African mini bar" x-215

L

I actually found Witco..in a thrift store too :)

Liz- How do you do that voodoo that you do?! What a great find!

C
croe67 posted on Wed, Oct 6, 2010 4:54 PM

:o

& the only witco I ever find at our thrift stores are those damn OWLs!

Great find!!!

L

On 2010-10-06 16:48, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Liz- How do you do that voodoo that you do?! What a great find!

I dunno..I just walked in and there it was. Easy peasy.

Now I need to sell it because I dont want it--I just wanted to buy a piece of Witco once in my life :)

T

On 2010-10-06 17:11, leleliz wrote:

Now I need to sell it because I dont want it--I just wanted to buy a piece of Witco once in my life :)

You will be able to check two firsts off your list, buying a Witco and flipping a witco :wink:

L

After seeing everyones home bars on the Sacramento crawl I decided to hang onto the outrigger for awhile....but I went to the same thrift yesterday and they had a conquistador witco piece . I did not buy that but I think I will keep checking in to this thrift....maybe they have more witco lurking in their back room? I can only hope for a witco map!

Found this a few months ago and thought I'd already posted it. I went through the entire thread but did not see another one like this. Anyone know what series/subject this is from?

C
Chub posted on Mon, Dec 13, 2010 1:37 PM

Found this Witco last week at a thrift store just South of Hollywood. Marked P-7B on the back. I believe from Witco's Primitic line. The wood frame needs a little TLC, but otherwise it's in good shape.

[ Edited by: chub 2010-12-13 18:36 ]

Our first Witco, this bar came from Daddy Katz in Dayton Ohio. We've just returned from the christmas party and this piece rocks. Will get some better pics soon.

Paul

[ Edited by: blacklagoon 2010-12-19 13:47 ]

[ Edited by: blacklagoon 2010-12-19 13:49 ]

Is anybody able to weigh-in on this guy? I've never seen a full-size conquistador like him.

T

Found my little kitty a few days before Christmas..

Of course I had to put a bow on her! :D
Actually she is quite a big kitty!

We finally landed the infamous World of Witco globe after searching for quite a long time. We definitely paid "market price" but were happy to do so- it's a classic!

But it seems when it rains it pours... not three days later we stumbled on an interesting variant that I hadn't seen before in an antique store (and at a good price) so we did what any good obsessive compulsive would do and now have both.

I've seen earlier posts on this thread with an assortment of different styles for this piece (wire on the right instead of the left, yellow paint, etc), but has anyone seen a green and orange version like below?

The bottom globe looks a bit bigger in the photo, but both are exactly the same size and construction.

I'm wondering if anybody knows exactly how many variations are floating around out there, what the rarity/demand is of certain variants, etc?

Trouble with finding a DIFFERENT globe is that now we're talking ourselves out of finding a place for BOTH...

L

Great scores on those globes! Love the bottom version the best. One of the few pieces I want is a globe but I seem to find everyting but.

Hope you can make room for them both !

OK... now I'm seriously creeped out.

The day after finding our second Witco globe in as many days, we find ourselves watching the Addams Family on basic cable, and what should appear behind Pugsley....?

Too weird... I'm waiting for the Rod Serling narration to kick in.

Posting some recent finds:

Little guy (eBay):

Got these three from one seller...
Candle stand:

Full-sized Bongo player:

Full-sized dancer:

Trad'r Bill

C

On 2011-01-09 21:31, Ragbag Comics wrote:
OK... now I'm seriously creeped out.

The day after finding our second Witco globe in as many days, we find ourselves watching the Addams Family on basic cable, and what should appear behind Pugsley....?

Too weird... I'm waiting for the Rod Serling narration to kick in.

Hey cool! Great catch!!

B

On 2011-01-10 02:03, Trad'r Bill wrote:
Posting some recent finds:

Full-sized Bongo player:

Trad'r Bill

They are all very cool Bill, I also really like your Ilmari Tapiovaara chairs. Tiki and Modern: two great tastes that taste great together!
-Duke

B

Here are a couple of smaller pieces I picked up in Florida on a trip to Miami last month.
-Duke

On 2011-01-10 09:03, boutiki wrote:
Tiki and Modern: two great tastes that taste great together!
-Duke

Indeed, Duke, ain't it so! If someone can say this, it is you. You should post some pics of your house...
Those are some cool "colorful" masks from Witco's (very) late period.

I agree with Sven. C'mon Duke, let's see some pics of your digs. All I've ever seen is a few tease shots.

On 2011-01-10 10:51, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2011-01-10 09:03, boutiki wrote:
Tiki and Modern: two great tastes that taste great together!
-Duke

Indeed, Duke, ain't it so! If someone can say this, it is you. You should post some pics of your house...
Those are some cool "colorful" masks from Witco's (very) late period.

I posted this in its own thread and then saw this one... here is my 20 dollar find from the Rose Bowl this weekend... can anyone confirm if it is indeed a Witco for me?

B

OK, so a friend gave me a pair of these lamps, which I think are super cool. But the thing that has me baffled is that I've never seen a Witco lamp with the wiring/ hardware on the exterior. They have always been run directly through the carving. Any ideas?
-Duke

B

On 2011-01-10 19:16, Big Kahuna wrote:
I agree with Sven. C'mon Duke, let's see some pics of your digs. All I've ever seen is a few tease shots.

OK. I'll post some pics of our place when I can put together some that give a sense of the space.

-Duke

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1611 replies