Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The show me your Witco thread.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,611 replies

On 2008-04-04 15:51, TIKI DAVID wrote:
i am not so sure that is chiseled...

I didn't really mean that literally. The way Witco art was produced, the shape of the item was first cut out of a board, and then the features were carved into it (see page 226 of Tiki Modern). And the execution here is beyond "primitive", but rather childish. The Witco carvings DID vary from piece to piece a little but this one would have never passed (sorry Buzzy).

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-04-04 16:02 ]

N

I have a finished "Primitive Mask" like the one Buzzy has and the artist choose to varnish it instead of using the patented Witco wax, maybe you can go to town on it with a chain saw and bring it to life?

And with that...my SHIT arrived in the mail today! Thanks again to my dad for taking the time to pack it up and send it to me.

It's funny how SHIT can look good on walls with just the right positioning and accents...a little smear here and a big chunk there, you can make it work if you try!

The flash made the room look much brighter that it normally is. The dark colors of the wood really bring the colors of in the panels out.

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and I guess I like shit)!

On 2007-07-22 12:28, green73 wrote:

It looks to be about the same dimensions as this bar from an older post on this thread. That would explain the dowels. I cannot tell if it's the exact same design because the picture is so crappy.

I'm not arguing, just wondering:
How does the panel on the front of the bar in the above picture fit into the notion that "The way Witco art was produced, the shape of the item was first cut out of a board, and then the features were carved into it." It's obvious by the broken dowels that this isn't the complete piece, but only part of a larger work, so like that bar above, it wouldn't have been shaped first.

You've proved nothing to me so far, so it's going on ebay as a "authentic Eames era witco tiki mug bar vintage piece"

Buzzy Out!

Ha ha ha. You know, you might be right, did not think of that early bar design. Could have come from a bar like that that stood outside for years, got the shit burned out of it by the sun, and fell apart. If so, it is an inferior example, and deserves the same fate that probably met the rest of the pieces: To be used as firewood. :D
....OR!, you could put it on e-bay, and see if anybody falls for it. Internet wisdom Nr. 2:" When in doubt, e-bay it!" The way Witco has been doing on e-bay lately though, I doubt it. The Witco revival got snarled by the economy's death.

Hahahahaaaa.......shit.

Billy, go back to your room!

I'm goin', I'm goin'!!!

T

On 2008-04-04 15:39, Billy the Crud wrote:

On 2008-04-04 15:31, TIKI DAVID wrote:

On 2008-04-04 14:17, Billy the Crud wrote:
Found this the other day.......is it Witco

i don't understand ,are you just stupid?  

"just my opinion,i could be wrong"

So, what you're saying is that I'm stupid if I don't like Witco?  

I think he's just wondering how stupid someone has to be to try to derail one of the few really good threads left on TC.

No offense intended. Just fed up.

TD

i will give you fifty bucks for it. plus shipping(ups)

Wow! There you go! I had to go back and look at it again. It looked a little better now that I would consider it as a piece of an early, old Witco bar, AND now that David is offering 50 bucks (and the shipping, that counts nowadays!).

Yet, I'd take that offer. If you're not, I am gonna watch that auction fer sure. I like being proven wrong in a productive way.

MN

I have created one of the most amazing reproductions of any Witco or Vitco piece ever!!! Palease notice in the bottom left hand corner of the picture that my Dremel is ready and waiting to finish my latest Witco reproduction. It only took me four hours with the Dremel, I had to let it charge for an hour prior to finishing, as I wore it out.
Behold, nothing greater than I, but a mere knight.

I wanna see Babalu do a Witco rabbit next!

T

Billy the Crud is at it again.
what was the name you used first?

Tiki David knows his Witco.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2008-04-06 04:48 ]

T

billybobaloo!!
That was the name you used!
You got in a big tiff with me.
The thead was locked.
Then you changed your name like a unk!
Left out the P!!!!

On 2008-04-04 23:55, tikiskip wrote:
billybobaloo!!
That was the name you used!
You got in a big tiff with me.
The thead was locked.
Then you changed your name like a unk!
Left out the P!!!!

Skip, I have missed you. How have you been, sweetie? Lets end this here and let these nice folks get back to their Witco talk, shall we? You and I will have plenty of time together.

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-04-05 00:22 ]

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-04-05 00:35 ]

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-04-05 00:37 ]

I just acquired these pieces of Witco... PLEASE!....don't mention the setting here, bad rugs etc. they are in storage here in an empty room. We are in the starts of a kitchen re-model & a room addition a Bar actually the "Kapu Cave" (the house is a wreck! always worse before better)I think this theme will be great for such a bar. I am looking for a few matching pieces, a ottoman a must & though we are building a lengthy bar I would like to have the matching bar. So let me know if ya happen to stumble across some "Jungle Room" or any of the TIKI Witco lamps, masks, shields..........

Hey, I have that stuff, too! :wink: :

...gotta go back now and play with my Elvis and Priscilla dolls!

...just in case you thought I was kidding :D :

"Honey, you always make me loose my head when you dress up like a Hula Girl!"

...what REALLY happened at the "Jungle Room Sessions"! :

Huh? What? Whooo's strange??? Moi?

B
Babalu posted on Mon, Apr 7, 2008 2:51 PM

On 2008-04-04 20:51, bigbrotiki wrote:
I wanna see Babalu do a Witco rabbit next!

Actually, that sounds kind of fun...Witco Wabbits.

bigbro, you are an interesting mix of scholar and eccentric (the best way to be). Those are hilarious!

This Witco stuff seems to be in the air, yet I cannot remember ever having come across a single piece. I've been through this whole thread, and now that I have the Witco radar working, I'm ready to jump on it.

Just a deserving repost of a pic from earlier:

So cool when it all comes together.

[ Edited by: ManFromT.I.K.I. 2008-04-07 21:36 ]

On 2008-04-07 21:03, ManFromT.I.K.I. wrote:
bigbro, you are an interesting mix of scholar and eccentric.

Why, thank you! That is the nicest thing anybody said about me all day. And that living room is indeed a nice example of modern decor tastefully applied. Mr. Solo, do you own a copy of Tiki Modern by now? Your chances of recognizing a piece will be much greater...

Take the case case of Granite Tiki for example (I hope it's OK I post this here?):

"I was shocked to see that Witco made metal sculptures. Mainly I was shocked because I think I've owned one since the 80s!

My Father owned a state line market here in NH and people would pass through town trying to sell things to him at the store (my Mother always said it was the gypsies who would stay at a local campground every year). One night he brought home what I considered to be a metal sculpture of Picasso's Don Quixote line drawing, my Mother hated it, but I loved it, so it went down to the basement with me and my "recording studio" where it stayed until I just rushed over there to get it!

I believe it originally had a lance in the horseman's arms (which I'm going back to look for when I'm wearing grubbier clothes)which broke off some time in the 90s during band rehearsals and such."

And YES, indeed, Mr. Granite is the owner of THIS fine family heirloom:

What a great "ugly duckling" story. Remember, folks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...and in the history and context of an object. These metal figures are the darnedest thing to find nowadays, I myself own only one, and a lamp.

No, I confess I didn't previously own a copy of Tiki Modern, but I'm happy to report that situation has been remedied thanks to Amazon. I'm really looking forward to it.

That particular Witco style (I've seen it referred to as Conquistador?) seems very familiar growing up in the 70's. Mediterranean or "Spanish" style furniture was all the rage, and we had plenty of it. Extremely dark, heavy, faux rough hewn, I'm sure everyone my age knows it well. It went with those watermellon-sized amber glass hanging chain lamps with lots of antique brass. The color accents of the day, avocado, orange and gold really set it all off.

Not saying we had Witco in the house, just that Witco seemed to be at the forefront of yet another general fashion trend in America's fascination with the culturally "exotic".

I'm not sure if books or websites like this are really good for me. They keep creating need where there previously wasn't any. For instance, now I want a metal Witco sculpture.

Here's mine!

This really is a thrill for me. I've been searching New England for Witco for a few years now, never even suspecting (until I got "Tiki Modern") that I already had something!

I loved it when I thought it was made by some New Hampshire Welder or Gypsy Craftsman, and I love it now that I know it's a Witco.

Soon, I'll be dressed in really grubby clothes on my hands and knees feeling through the muck and dirt of a 120 year old basement to find that lance to restore this piece to its original glory.

Thanks BigBro!

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-04-20 07:02 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-04-20 08:12 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-04-20 16:44 ]

and here is one i've never seen before,

i picked up a few more things today do you love that shade?

a couple more of these

some tables

candle stick holder

some of these...

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-04-21 14:40 ]

C

OMG, Tiki David - apparently you discovered the lost Witco Dungeon somewhere in Cleveland......who knew!?!?!?

On 2008-04-21 14:41, croe67 wrote:
OMG, Tiki David - apparently you discovered the lost Witco Dungeon somewhere in Cleveland......who knew!?!?!?

it was basement done in the 60's and has not been touched since the 80's i bought it all.except the shag carpet. i hope to get some pics of the basement before it was disassembled.there are a couple more loads to get yet,this was just the witco ,so far.non witco pics will be in beyond tiki finds

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-04-21 14:51 ]

K

Nice finds David, I see three mainlander bowls where is the fountain?

On 2008-04-21 20:21, keigs20 wrote:
Nice finds David, I see three mainlander bowls where is the fountain?

LOL, on the next truck. By the way,did you notice the piece that looks like a deer bending over? anyone know if that is a genuine witco? (GEN-WIT)= NEW WORD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-04-22 07:46 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-04-22 07:48 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-04-22 07:53 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-04-22 07:52 ]

david , your witco is the most insanely absurdly awsome collection Ive ever seen....keep those pics a comin

On 2008-04-22 14:07, hala bullhiki wrote:
david , your witco is the most insanely absurdly awsome collection Ive ever seen....keep those pics a comin

thanks, but i know there are a couple others out there keeping a low profile. but hey!, i just got back with another load. you are gonna want to see this.

has anyone ever seen these chairs before?

and oh... shit..... i almost forgot . there was one of these in the corner. ever see one?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1611 replies