Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

MadDog Mike's Platterful of Pupule - Pele Fence Hanger

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,035 replies

Gentlemen - thanks for the love.

Robb, "Never forget the ladies!!" You got that right! Good luck on that Hibiscus, I decided that flower was outside of my scope of sculpture :)
Buzz, chili or maybe Jambalaya
Iokona, series of 4 flower mugs coming. The Heliconia is drying, into the kiln in the next few days. Next an Orchid mug and a taller, pinker Bird of Paradise to replace that other one.

Leilani Tiki II:Heliconia. Now on the drying rack, Leilani Tiki III:Orchids

I decided I needed a tapa hatband to match a shirt of mine so I stamped one. In case you ever need to
make a hatband, I discovered it works better if you cut the material on the bias (diagonally across the
fabric) It makes the band contour better to the curves of the hat. (The vintage matchbook is a reproduction)

Here is a pendant and matching beads I made from my woodgrain tutorial clay (above). I like this red and
white clay for the woodgrain, a little more contrast than the brown and yellow I used before. The Amaco Indian Red is also sold as an airdry clay at Michael's Crafts. At $8 for 10 lbs it's a bit more expensive than buying 50 lbs at a time at the clay store, but with a 40% off coupon for in every Sunday's paper it's a lot more reasonable. (Besides, my clay store is 120 miles away and Michael's is 5). I made a bead rack to glaze fire my beads from clay and 1/8 inch tungsten welding rod (melting point 6000 degrees)

Wow MadDogMike! A heliconia mug (my fav tropical plant),
a tiki hat band, and a tiki necklace with beads you made
yourself?!!! Plus you do demos!

You're the Martha Stewart of Tiki! :)

Great job on all too!

Wahiniana Art by Iokona

[ Edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2009-03-16 11:26 ]

Go MadDog Go!

Tropical plants on mugs has just been given a new life
thanks to you!

mmmmmbacon!

On 2009-03-16 11:24, Iokona Ki'i wrote:
You're the Martha Stewart of Tiki! :)

:lol: I've been called worse! :lol:
Thanks Jason and Ken!!!!

Here's my next installment, "Leilani Tiki III:Orchids" I have glazed and fired some of it but an still trying to work out the right glaze combo for the orchids. Can't seem to find a good fuchsia or magenta glaze so I'm trying to mix one :(

Up next? Plumeria or Bird of Paradise

Here's a non-tiki project I just finished, a trophy mug for a spearfishing tournament. I had proposed an aluminum spear sticking out of the head but the "customer" decided against it. 4x6x8 inches, holds 24 ounces.

We wanted the back of the head to look like it was freshly lopped off.

FISH HEAD......CLASSIC!

you so fresh!
:)

Thanks LLT, "fresh"!

I got a new mug form courtesy of Bolthouse Farms (available at WalMart). It's round on the bottom, square at the top and tapered. The bottle held 1 liter, the mug will hold somewhat less than that.

I wanted a quick and simple design to try it out so I went with the classic Kon Tiki image. The tapered image fits well on the tapered mug, I'll leave it a little unpolished and rough like it's crossed the Pacific Ocean. Glaze will be a textured Khaki Canvas.

T

clean and simple. The lettering came out perfect

Righteous, MadDogMike! 8) :)

Thanks TeaKEY & Blacksandz. TeaKey, I cannot tell a lie - I stamped the letters in with rubber stamps :)

The fish head turned out great! Really like
the speckled dots all over. Kon Tiki Mug is coming
along quite nicely too!

T

I LOVE the fish head! The neck stump is right up my alley... so gruesome, but so true to life, it's hilarious! Too bad about the spear!

The Kon Tiki mugs look AWESOME! Can't wait to see them completed!

Thank you Jason and Eric :)

I had so much fun making beads and orchids I decided to try a beaded orchid necklace. I decided to use polymer clay because it was lighter and less breakable, it's much easier to make millefiori beads out of polymer than ceramic clay. I was still in a "Tiki Guy bling mode" and probably made it bigger than I should have, it's about 3 1/2 inches across.

I'd wear that! It's beautiful!

Thank you Kiki.

I finished my Kon Tiki Mug, glazed it with a Khaki Canvas glaze that gives it an aged/distressed look. When I first posted this, someone PM'd me and asked if I wanted to sell it - if he likes the finished product it's gone!

Also finished the last of my "Leilani Tiki" mugs with tropical flowers and tikis. Here's the display with some silk flowers added for effect.

Anthurium, Heliconia, Orchids, and Bird of Paradise.
I had planned a Plumeria but am having some glaze fit problems because the mug and flowers are made from lowfire clay but the tikis are made from highfire woodgrained clay.

Diggin that crazy fishhead mug!

Great stuff mad dog, love the necklace, and the mugs are cool too!

Amy

Thank you Sam and Queen KamehamAMY :)

I have always admired the work of the TC Micro-Masters like Bowana & Benzart - I decided to give it a shot myself. I wanted to make a little Marquesan Tiki Ivi Po'o, so I started with a chicken bone (KFC)

Next, I got a hold of a pair of surgical binocular loupes and a Dremell

After some carving, some wiped-off stain, and some varnish, here's the result, about 1/2 inch diameter and 3/4 inch tall

a lil micro Marquesan!
Classic!
and those 4 floral mugs....class..pure class...

Close all your orifices
so that Creativity don't fall out!

By the way, where did you get those surgical binocular loupes?
those look like a lotta fun!

Wow...MadDog...You works are amazing and inspiring.

I have been a member here for a few years but a lurker more than a poster as is obvious by my post count. I got very excited when I saw your latest micro work.

Not sure if anyone else here is interested in miniatures, but I work and create miniature in dollhouse scale (1:12) and I'm working on a tiki project in a long forgotten project that was started and then put away.

Sorry to hijack your thread Mike, but I got all excited when the thought popped in my head that perhaps there were others who loved miniatures and tiki. :)

Ok...back to the regular scheduled program.

Dale

OK, I shouldn't have done it , but I'm a prankster at heart and couldn't resist. I don't have near the talent to carve anything that small, so I bought a big dime and faked it!

It's ceramic, about 3.5 inches tall and 2 inches in diameter. I guess it'd make a shotglass.

Kinny and Dale, please accept my apologies for lying to you :) I'll probably never get another pat on the back from Ken now :( Dale, just because my talent is a sham, don't let that kill your inspiration - go out and carve those micro tikis! Maybe you can furnish a micro tiki lounge!

Happy April Fool's Day to all and to all a good night :)

B
Bowana posted on Wed, Apr 1, 2009 7:49 PM

You're a bad man!

You're a VERY bad man!

wah wah!

Nice one Mike!!! :lol:
Something told me not to take the bait.
Great prank! Happy April Fools!

Bravo Mike....Bravo!! You are the only one to get me today with an April Fools.

You haven't killed my desire to create mini tiki items. Not sure I'll be carving anything, but I have some polymer clay that I'm going to turn into some mugs I think.

Well done!!

Oh...and as for pats on the back...well, I'll just have to leave that decision up to Ken.

Dale

N
nuKKe posted on Wed, Apr 1, 2009 11:28 PM

On 2009-04-01 20:07, littlegiles wrote:
You haven't killed my desire to create mini tiki items. Not sure I'll be carving anything, but I have some polymer clay that I'm going to turn into some mugs I think.

Please don't. Polyclay is toxic and is not meant to be used for household items. IMHO it would be a shame to waste your time and money (that stuff's expensive) on undrinkable drinkware.
Make fake bone carving instead! "The Polymer Clay Techniques Book" by Sue Heaser hs tutorial on mixing bone and stone simulations, aging and carving. It's pretty simple and if you want, PM and I'll send you the instructions.

And Mike - thank you, really, for evoking a rather nasty talk over dinner last night. I've been vegetarian for 17 year now and you got the husband and I discussing grabbing chicken bones from the plates in next week's Passover dinner. Great work and I love the Kon Tiki mug too. Clean and classy.

RH

This just goes to show:

1. You are WAY cooler than the rest of us.

2. You have way more time than the rest of us.

A lotta knockout stuff, bro!

Thanks for the kind comments and humor good TC people :)

This was kinda a rush job - ordered the big dime on e-Bay Wed, sculpted on Sun, had it dried and fired twice by Tues morning

TK

Nice one Mike!
You should give it a try though. Tiny Tikis can be big fun!
There are some I did many yeas ago on my website.
Cheers!
Tiki King

http://www.tikiking.com Neat Tiki and Ukulele Stuff

[ Edited by: Tiki King 2009-04-06 09:26 ]

RH

Tikiking - a worthy hijacking! And some outstanding work, too.

TikiKing,

Nice work, that's what I wanted to do but didn't have the talent so I had to fake it! :lol: I may have to give it a shot someday

i agree with Bowana...
you're a very bad man!
:(

Wow! Great work on the micro marq bone guy!

I can't believe you were able to get such great results from that small little chicken bone. What kind of tools did you use to carve it?

Since you're a carver now, you should get your work the hell out of the Other Crap, oops!, the Other crafts section. You just moved up to the Big Leagues son. Welcome to The Show!

Buzzy Out!

(I never actually read anyone's thread.)

B
Babalu posted on Mon, Apr 6, 2009 2:51 PM

:up: oh yeah, oh yeah...well, all the artists over here in the "Other Crafts Area" are far better looking than all you hack and slash boys over there in that "Carving Area" place....I also hear that we are all "FAR" better lovers over here as well....so, take that Buttercup Buzzy!

Watch it now! Remember we play with chainsaws and really sharp knives! Besides my wood is bigger than your kiln!

Kinny, Buzz, Babs, AlohaStation - you guys are too much! :lol:

Well, as punishment for being such a bad man, I'm going to take a self-imposed tiki hiatus :( Actually, I've got a big non-tiki project that is going to take up all my free time. I'll still be hanging out in TC of course (I'm an addict) but I won't have anything new to post for a while.

Blurring the fine line between fine art and fine crap.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2009-04-06 14:58 ]

Well that is the saddest news I have heard all day, but I totally understand.

Good luck with the non-tiki project.

Dale

Well Dale, man shall not live by tiki alone :)

I've got to turn a church stage into a bayou - complete with a structural dock, life-sized gators, cyprus trees with Spanish moss, and a CGI sunrise/sunset. It'll be fun

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Apr 7, 2009 5:41 PM

Come on Mike... we want to see this when your all done for sure.

Hey, Freeform has paper clay in stock now.

On 2009-04-07 17:41, Babalu wrote:
Hey, Freeform has paper clay in stock now.

:lol: We both asked about it, I guess he decided there was some interest :lol:
Low fire? Did you get any yet?

I'll post a link to my bayou set when I finish

Well, my self imposed tiki hiatus is done! My bayou stage set project is just about done but doesn't get set up until the first week of June. I'll post a link when it's done.

I've been working on a project for the 2009 Tiki Art Swap. The theme is Papua New Guinea and I was inspired by Fugu to create a Baining Firedance Mug so here it is

The ceramic beads are for a yet to be finished matching pendant.

really great Mike!!! wow!!

amy

F
Fugu posted on Sun, May 17, 2009 2:44 PM

I think that looks great! I love that you brought in the whole idea of the fire dance with the flames around the rest of the mug.

GT

Very Cool Mike, I like the glaze work!

:D Fire walk with me!

Err... DANCE with me! :D

A fantastic striking work of art! 8) Mike, great job!

sandz

Amy, Gogo, Blacksandz, thanks. Fugu, when I came to TC a year ago, I was familiar with Hawaiian tikis but had not been exposed to many of the other Polynesian cultures. Your Baining fire mask was the first time I had seen those and fell in love. So whimsical with the big eyes but so tragic that they spend weeks crafting them, dance with them one night, and then discard or burn them.

Here's the matching pendant and beads I made to go with the mug for the 2009 Tiki Art Swap

B

The underglaze pens look like they worked out pretty good. But hard to control, huh?
Nice design work on that pendant and beads, sir!

Dig the mug and the pendant.
Love how you sometimes make a collection
or set out of an idea...like matching a shirt/mug
combo, pendant /mug combo etc...
Mike's back!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3035 replies