Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

2 of my New Wacky Packages paintings for Series 9, 2012. p. 103

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1,554 replies

B

Yo Sam I can see why he's called Lucky. Looks like he has been through quite a few scraps and scrapes and he's still breathing.( or was when this was shot) You captured the feelings beautifully, Tiki or not.
Way nice

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2005-03-12 19:53 ]

Sam, your stuff looks great. I love the "Lucky Luciano in Gold" painting. What is the size on that one?

Thank you for the kind words, Unga, Ben and Swampfire.

Hey Doug, it's 11"x14". It's an honor that you guys like it.

http://www.samgambino.com

Looks awesome, and I have a feeling the gold leafing must be seen in person to be truly appreciated.

Did he really have all 7s for his #?

Looks great Sam...must be really cool in
person...is he part of a series on "gangsters?" A lot of the Chicago
mob guys are sorta popular in northern
wisconsin as "folk heroes"...Dillinger..
Capone and many others spent their leisure
time just an hour or so from where I live.
They were know to be pretty friendly dudes
when they weren't working. Real nice
creation!

Thanks a bunch for your kind words, Raffertiki and congatiki.

Raffertiki, the real number only had 1 or 2 7's in it, but I thought "why not?" Also, you're right about the gold leaf - the highlights look different depending on the angle you are viewing it from.

Hey congatiki, that's a good idea about a series. There are lots of those old haunts around Detroit too. It's too bad that many are either vacant lots or crumbling buildings.

Alright Sam, that is another cool one, nothing wrong with having a couple muses. Cant be tiki all the time.
It would be cool to know more about the gold leaf process. IDont know anything about it really, is it a special paint for metal? or Some progress shots would be neat to see.
Cool Man,
Chongolio

Thanks for the compliment, Chongo. I left you a personal message...

Here's a new piece for the upcoming Sneaky Tiki Show at M Modern Gallery, May 6-8. The little Moai under glass is gold leaf while the rest is enamel on canvas.

B

Really cool! I was a big fan of Pink Panther movies when I was younger and this work of art reminds me of that. Great energy going there. Well done!

Very cool, as always. I'm always impressed by the clarity and crispness of your art.

Thanks, beachin and findaddy. Yes, I did the sketch with those old Pink Panther movies in mind...

B

Sam, Really Cool one. Love the story line and the tikis. The Heister is another Gambino masterpiece. Mostly it's a Sam Original about to make someone very happy. We miss you when you aren't here. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, good work as always Sam, I reckon we're going to have to get you showing some work over here soon!

Thank you, Ben and cheekytiki. It is nice to hang out here with all of my friends.

Sam, you gotta learn animation, then you could actually do "The Heist" in "Dazzling Exoticolor"! That's a mischievous painting. Thanks for posting.

That is one suave tiki. I'll bet his name is Rico. The gold-leafed tiki is inspired.

Well Sambino, I've never commented on your stuff, and it's about time I did! I love it, you capture what I love so much about this culture. I even love the the perfect touch you put on signing your name...it's so animated, artsy. Don'cha ever stop!

Thanks so much AA, Raffertiki and surfintiki. I love that kind of feedback!

Hey Sam, very cool one. Love your work.

Thank you, Doug. By the way, my wife and I were checking out the tiki issue of Barracuda Magazine and ran across your ad... I was able to say, "Hey, I know that guy." I like that "Pick-up Artist" work of yours!

T

WOW Sam.. Great stuff. I wish I could be filmed in "Exoticolor" LOL

Cool poster like the concept!! Keep up the good work!!!
Later,
Spermy

Thanks a bunch, Thanatos and Sperm Whale...

Here's a new painting loosely based on an old Duane Eddy lp of mine - only "tiki-fied". It's 14x18, enamel on stretched canvas.

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2005-04-25 14:29 ]

T

Damn Sma,,, that one rocks! Wish I had your talent and skills....

Thanks for the comps, Thanatos... That kind of feedback is always appreciated! This one will be for sale at M Modern Gallery for the Sneaky Tiki Show, May 6-8.

Great painting! Nina & I will definitely be checking out the show in Palm Springs. Looking forward to meeting you at Oasis as well, Sam.

Hey, thanks AA-
Just my paintings will be attending Oasis this year, but I do plan on attending in the future.

That is super kool.
You are the King of one shot. I would love to get something done by you.
Thanks for sharing.

B

Sam, Another Great one, AlL Right, looks like you are getting cranked UPPP. I haven't heard of Duane Eddy in a Long time COol.

Nice! You always give your tikis such great attitude.

Thanks rodeotiki, Ben and Raffertiki. I feel more cranked up. Maybe it's because of Springtime. Seems like it's been a long, grueling winter ever since Hurricane Ivan!

Hey Ben- I'm listening to Duane Eddy as I type this.

D

I love your work! Are you gonna be at the DVA Gallery in Chicago or Exotica? Unfortunately, due to my work schedule I don't get to travel but would love to be able to get some of your work.

Hey Dawn32. Thank you for your kind words. As of now, obligations are preventing me from attending Exotica. This whole year has been somewhat out of the ordinary so far for me, but I do plan on attending these in the future.

Sam, another great one! You got a real eye for movement and color, I love your work.

A co-worker just turned me on to Dwane eddy not too long ago. I Dig it! I played him the shadows, he played me DW...I think that's a fair trade!

On 2005-05-01 07:24, Polynesiac wrote:
Sam, another great one! You got a real eye for movement and color, I love your work.

A co-worker just turned me on to Dwane eddy not too long ago. I Dig it! I played him the shadows, he played me DW...I think that's a fair trade!

Thank you, Polynesiac. Yeah, I never get tired of "Rebel Rouser". I think he's underrated too! He did some really cool stuff.

B

Lots of energy comin' out of that one! Makes me wanna get up and dance!

Here is the latest commission piece... It's enamel on stretched canvas. Hope you like!

I like it. The Bamboo Bunker is such a cool name for a tiki bar, and is that mug holding a grenade?

Thanks, Raffertiki. The name and the grenade mug design were TC'er Tipsy McStagger's ideas. Very creative on his part! He commissioned the painting.

T

Love it. I like all your guys with "ordinary" humanoid bodies and tikified heads. It makes me think of someone having undergone an actual physical change due to having ventured forth where none have ventured before, and often. Like that movie, "Altered States." Your characters were ordinary guys way back when, but at some point they crossed a line and have never returned. Anyway, just my thoughts. I like your work, the retro script and "advertisement" style, the whole bit. The "Appointment in Havana" guy does scare me a bit though. W-w-what k-kind of ap-ppointment...?!

I like it alot!! In fact I like all of your work!!! I saw one of your masterpieces at the Mmordern Galery last weekend. Great work SAM!!!
Later,
Scott

Thanks much for the kind words, tropical guy and Scott. Yeah, tropicalguy - they're almost like those big Mardi Gras heads :)

Scott- I would have liked to have been at the Mmodern Gallery... maybe next year!

H
hewey posted on Sat, May 14, 2005 6:08 PM

I love it - another masterpiece from sam.

What about doing some cheesy looking '50s B-grade horror posters. Arrgh, its the attack of the killer tiki!

B

Another Excellent one Sam. Doesn't Matter yho does the art, when you put it together it really Gets Nice. Beautiful..

B

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2005-05-15 08:00 ]

Thank you Ben and hewey. I appreciate your kind words. Hewey, I do like that whole 50's B-movie genre. I plan to do some of that sort of art in the near future.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1554 replies