Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

2 of my New Wacky Packages paintings for Series 9, 2012. p. 103

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1,554 replies

Thanks, Meheadhunter! To thin the paint, I use regular old paint thinner from the hardware store. I also brush colors into each other using a little thinner on the brush or using a short-haired blender brush. I'll send you a pm for a link to a more lengthy explanation. Thanks again!

Just wanted to run these new fonts of mine (Blackcat and Blackcat Fever) by all my buds here at TC! They are based on the old '50's Horror comic books of the '50's. They are available at Font Bros....Here's the link:

http://www.fontbros.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=1200&keywords=all

Thanks for looking!

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-11-26 18:16 ]

Hey Sam....Thanks for the explanation on blending.....I followed your pm and didn't realize you posted here also....ie. the delay in this response. Thanks again and your work is killer!!!

are there any tiki fonts? ...oops thread LOCKED

B

Great looking Fonts Sam. Love your pic of Hogan golfing too, or is that a photograph you just touched up? :lol:
Your new Mug Set came in the mail recently and they are an Awesome trio. Makes me want to join the local Bowling league.
HappyHappyHappy

Thanks Meheadhunter! I hope the explanation helped some.

Hey, Johnny Dollar - I wasn't asked to do a tiki font.

Thanks, Ben - I know that the cousin and bowling brothers are in a good home and being well cared for. They like lots of Polish sausage and beer. :)

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-11-28 20:05 ]

B
BigToe posted on Fri, Dec 7, 2007 2:52 PM

KILLER MR. GAMBINO!!!!

not sure how life can go on without those...xmas gift from me to me??

bT

Thanks Big Toe! I appreciate the kind words.

F

Sam, Great font's and as always the rest of your stuff is top notch. Keep up the good work and enjoy our 80° xmas weather. Nothing like breaking a sweat when you decorate for the holidays.

On 2007-12-09 11:20, frostiki wrote:
Sam, Great font's and as always the rest of your stuff is top notch. Keep up the good work and enjoy our 80° xmas weather. Nothing like breaking a sweat when you decorate for the holidays.

Hey frostiki... Thanks so much for the kind words! Yes, this weather is crazy here right now! Being from Detroit, I don't really know whether to go swimming or wash the car.... I like it though. In Detroit, you may end up shoveling snow in May, so I'll take this any day. :)

F

I know the feeling, I grew up in Minnesota. SO I miss the white stuff around the holidays, but not the shoveling and bundling up

Here's a new piece called "The Wolfella" for a show in the spring. Does he look a little like he's based on Robert DeNiro's Goodfellas character??? :) Thanks for looking....

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2008-01-08 11:02 ]

R

That looks awesome! :D

And yeah sorta looks like DeNiro 'round the eyes.

Nice work,Sam. It's funny seeing a wolfman smoking a cigarette. I wonder what his brand of choice is?

On 2008-01-08 12:08, TIKI KAIMUKI wrote:
Nice work,Sam. It's funny seeing a wolfman smoking a cigarette. I wonder what his brand of choice is?

..pall mauls!! ..of course.

J

Just awesome... as usual. I certainly see the Deniro forehead!
Love the fonts too - very clean, very fun!

Thanks so much for the kind words, ravenne, Tiki Kaimuki, Tipsy McStagger and jpmartdog!

I'm not sure what brand he smokes, but they are filterless! :)

MR

Very nice. Just good skills all around. The shadows, the high lights all work perfect. Funny idea as well. You should do a series based on Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead. The characters in that film all have nicknames that would lend to you painted translations.
Again,nice work.
Cheers.

Very Nice Sam!
I like the hairs on his hands! you even got the DeNiro vibe in there
with the eyes,face shaoe,and attitude...
The colors are awesome too! Gives it a warm dark loungey feeling!
i like the curtain in the background too;parted just a bit to add
even deeper mystery and tension to the piece!
You're a Genius Sam!
Thanks for posting your work for us all to delight at!

Totally cool....It is amazing you can do this with 1shot....Very Nice!!!!

Hey Matt, Ken and Meheadhunter, thanks a bunch for the comps! I REALLY appreciate your kind words..... I had fun doing this one, and it always seems that I'm most happy with the ones when there's no restrictions on subject matter, etc. (even screwball ones from time to time - like the William Shatner one for instance!)

Sam, stop turning out such great stuff. I already have enough insecurities to overcome.

Thank you, frostiki! Great to hear from you.... How are you liking this springtime weather? :)

F

I'm good, How is everything on your side of the bay? Yeah, it's a high of 32° one day and now it's in the upper 70's. Global confusion is more appropriate then global warming around here. On the plus side I get to get out in the garage and play with my X-mas presents, on the down side I have to get out in the yard and play with the other X-mas presents.

visit us at http://www.frostiki.com

[ Edited by: frostiki 2008-01-11 07:59 ]

In addition to "The Wolfella" here are 4 other paintings to appear at Brad Benedict's Sideshow at Merry Karnowski Gallery in LA..... Thanks for looking!

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2008-01-13 11:36 ]

Sam, as my girl and I looked at the pics of your new work, we both said, "WOW!" Really dig all of them and that Saimese Walt is especially creepykool.
Always a pleasure to see your new pieces.

yea wow is right. is there a link for those shows? dawn

yea wow is right. is there a link for those shows? dawn

Thanks so much for the kind words, Tiki Kaimuki and Dawn. I'm glad that you like the paintings! Dawn, the link to the gallery is below, but it doesn't appear that the preview of the Sideshow paintings are up yet.

http://www.mkgallery.com/

H
Heath posted on Sun, Jan 13, 2008 5:19 PM

Stellar work!

The Ghouls Ghosts and Swami's one rules! Man those are amazing. I love the subject matter you're into.
Cheers.

They're all great, Pig Doctor was one of my favorite T-Zone episodes,
and the twin Disney is really cool. How about a big book with all the
Gambinos?

V

Wow, I love the theremin player (as I'm one).
Is it available ? Is there going to be prints ?

I Love it !

B

I agree with Conga Sam, you need a coffee table book. Those latest Twilight paintings rock my world. I remember a time when that TV series use to scare the doo-da out of me...well, so did those old black and white monster movies for that matter...

Thanks so much for the encouraging comps, Heath, Matt, congatiki, virani and Babalu! They are priceless to me as an artist because they let me know if I'm on the right track or not.....

Hey congatiki and Babalu - I'd really like to get a coffee table book. It's something I've thought about, and plan to look into in the future when the dust settles for these shows. Thanks for the suggestion too.

Virani- Hey, now I know a true theremin player! How cool... It seems like it'd be fun to play. I always liked the theremin theme for Plan 9 from Outer Space. I'd actually like to get the recording of it with the bongos and all. Also, the painting will be available at Merry Karnowski Gallery in LA on Feb. 9. The link is here: http://www.mkgallery.com/

Thanks again!

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2008-01-14 17:52 ]

T

Gross, Cool, Weird, I remember those

WOW!
It's like you busted out these three overnight!
What drive! Alien Theremin player..Favorite hnads down!
and the Walt one is funny because it's TRUE! :lol:
Great work as usual Sam!

Love those new paintings Sam.

Always enjoy the Twilight Zone preferences.
I have an idea in my sketchbook for the to serve man episode, a classic.
Your work has inspired me to get off of my arss and do it.

R

Wow....Sam that's really amazing work!

I especially love the Siamese (if you please, haha cute!) and the Pigman!
I love all four!!!

Rawkin work man! :D

Thanks a bunch, TeaKEY, Ken, Doug and ravenne! I appreciate the kind words.

teaKEY- if the pieces bring back a single happy memory, I'm pleased!

Ken- I have a little stockpile - I've been kicking out 1 painting a week since mid-November, but NO ONE is as motivated as you are! :)

Doug - Your stuff inspires me all the time. I'd love to see a "Kanamit" piece....

Ravenne- I'm glad you like the Disneys - I wondered if I might just find that one interesting, but it's good to know that you, Ken and others find it amusing as well.

These last few paintings represent subject matter that I really enjoy - stuff I pop into the DVD player on a late Friday night..... Thanks again!

Just wanted to be your 1000th reply! I'll add that your stuff really is great.
Cheers.

Thanks again, Matt.... Hey, it's another bump! Nice going! :)

Sam,

Wow! As usual I love them all. I really like the composition on the Pig-face one with the sands in the background. The theremin (sp) one is cool with the old tin sign look, I have a friend who used to live in daphne who had a theremin, and tons of old analog recording equipment, tube amps and condensers. Loved the sound of his stuff, i think he termed it southwest sci-fi

Thanks frostiki! Right here in Daphne? Who would've known, a theremin player here! Cool!

Here are 2 new paintings for upcoming shows....Thanks for looking!

Oh YEAH!
That is one BAD mother! AWESOME! That's my fav!
Here's to a great show at the MK Gallery!
ALOHA!

Thanks a bunch, Brad!

Anything involving Rondo is great by me!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1554 replies