Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

2 of my New Wacky Packages paintings for Series 9, 2012. p. 103

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1,554 replies

Thanks very much, GMAN and Aaron's Akua!

GMAN, Tor Johnson was a Swedish wrestler who started in the US as a character actor playing in everything from Abbott and Costello movies to Ed Wood's super laughingly low budget "Plan 9 from Outer Space". In "Plan 9", he ends up as a zombie which is how I painted him. He has a cult following, so I thought it'd be fun to paint him for the Bat's Day in the Fun Park at Disneyland show coming up. I don't know - it seems like I always end up painting old, bald or gray haired actors.... wait, Einstein wasn't an actor .. :wink:

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2006-08-12 21:29 ]

T

Man, a print of this up beside the Tor... I'm seeing these up on my wall... I'm seeing myself reaching for the chequebook...
Seriously, I like the other paintings a hell of a lot, but - spending time as a kid with early issues of Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine left by an uncle - these one are the coolest. A Rondo Hatton would make a damn good threesome (or Ed Wood, stylized a bit - not the most menacing looking guy).
Amazing, Sam - keep it up!!

Sam,
you're out of control! It seems you do about one of these classic pieces every week or two! Are you driven or just an artist suffering from hyperactivity?Keep those great pieces coming! I'm glad you're getting the attention and props you've always deserved!

Thank you, twitch and little lost tiki! Your kindness is much appreciated. I will have prints of these soon. I'll post here when they're ready. Most likely, they'll be $30 each + shipping and signed.

Wait a minute!! You got to hang out with her?!? I am soo damn jealous. Nice painting as always.

nice work as usual sam.....however she does have that "herman munster in drag" thing going on.....or as austin powers would say.."that's a man, baby!!!"".....

fun stuff....keep crankin' out the goods.....

G
GROG posted on Mon, Aug 14, 2006 12:14 PM

Hey Sam,

You know...... sex sells. So, if you want to sell that baby quickly........

But, then again, people might think it's a sucky painting of Elvira rather than a great painting of Vampira.

(Sorry for the bastardization of your excellent art-----Love ya ----GROG!)

Excellent stuff! GROG like!
(GROG mean your original, not the bastardized version)

Matt- I'd like to have hung out with her.. I hear that she's in her 80s and still kicking. I'd love to meet her.

T McS- She and Herman might be siblings! :)

Grog- Thanks for the idea! It's not too late to make changes... I haven't sent it off yet.... HHHmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Thanks for the kind words.

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2006-08-14 17:44 ]

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Aug 14, 2006 5:56 PM

Heyyyyy! That Grog/Gambino piece is talking to me!!!!!

-Gman

K

fucking nice man! i love this - sorry for the fucking language

B

HEy Sam, Now you're talking. Of course the GROIG version is flashy, I love your newest painting. Absolutely downright beautiful. You really captured the lady of darkness.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Aug 15, 2006 12:58 PM

Hey Ben, you mispelled GROG, and did you mean to say "flashy"
or "fleshy"?

And just so that people can see the original in case they come to this page without seeing the previous page. ( Sorry Sam, GROG didn't know GROG's post was going to be at the top of a new page)

[ Edited by: GROG 2006-08-15 13:00 ]

T

great painting sam!! GROG's interpretation was pretty funny, but the original is great as always from you.....top-notch work!

GMAN- Thanks a bunch for the comp!

Kooche- Thanks for the kind words AND the language... it emphasizes your point very well :wink:

Ben- Thanks too.... I had fun painting the dark lady. For me, that has a lot to do with how it turns out.

GROG- No problem! I'm still considering those changes you suggested! :)

Tiki5-0- I really appreciate your kind words.... Yes, I like Grog's interpretation too!

awesome work sam i just love it

Thank you, marcus- It's always nice to get your feedback!

Here's a new Ed Roth painting (by special request) for the Brushes, Needles and Burnouts Show at Kustom Culture Gallery, Sept. 30 - Oct 3, Baldwin, NY. Thanks for looking....

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Sep 20, 2006 8:52 PM

Sam...you are incredible!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Sep 20, 2006 9:14 PM

Kool man!

very cool as always im a big fan

G
GROG posted on Wed, Sep 20, 2006 11:31 PM

SamGam,

GROG saw some of your originals at Tikis and Terrors 2.
You need to add at least a one with an apostrophe on the front of your asking price..Excellent stuff,dude.

Thanks so much for the kind words, GMAN, hewey, marcus and GROG! GROG, I had fun painting those Tikis and Terror pieces - hopefully it shows. Thanks again!

I swear that this is add from a old HotRod mag. It doesnt look like a painting at all. Awesome work as always Sam.

Keep it going Sam. Your detail is uncanny.

When are you going to paint a mermaid?

Thank you, rodeotiki and Raffer... I appreciate and value your opinions! John, I'm working on a mermaid Illustrator illustration right now for a club. It's not done yet, but it's funny you'd ask.... :) If it's alright with the owner, I'll post it when I'm done.

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2006-09-23 20:21 ]

ARRRRsome work, I like Vampira with and without the cleavage, not sure which I like better!
ST

I saw the Vampira piece at Tikis and Terrors. Wow! It's a real stand out! Fantastic technique. Beautiful! I'm always impressed with an artist who can hide his brush strokes so. A masterful work. I hope to drool over it again at the Spooky luau.

~Tiki Shark

Thanks a bunch, Sneakytiki and TikiSharkart. I really appreciate your comps! It's hard not to drool over Vampira! Sexy lady indeed :)

B

HI Sam, Just came by to Drool a bit and then I'll be on my way. Always lookin for your new stuff for sure.
Catch ya' later.
Ben

Thanks, Ben!

F
foamy posted on Mon, Oct 9, 2006 7:01 AM

Hey Sam, just looking around and I see I've missed a few things, but you, obviously, have not. I'm still amazed at what you can do with One-Shot. Guess I shouldn't be, though. Excellent work (I'm getting tired of repeating myself, but what am I supposed to do?). Are you considering doing any more still-lifes like the ashtray and matchbook kind'a stuff?

Hi foamy- Thank you! Repeat yourself anytime you like! :) I'm sure I will do more still life stuff, but most of the near future stuff is going to be tiki and personality-related pieces, as that's what the commissions are lately. Thanks again!

Hey Sam!
Saw your work both at the T&T2 and the Spooky Luau! That Tor piece makes me laugh! My stepkid is always going to Disneyland as we got year passes there! Wonder how she would react seeing that? Great work man! Glad you're gettin commissions and keeping stoked!

C

I love the illustrations on your site you are a really great artist.congrats!!

Thanks so much, littlelosttiki and Ceritas. I reaally appreciate the kind comps!

C

LoL! cerita means little wax in Spanish,Greetings!
Your illustrations are really great!!

Sorry Clarita! That's what I get for posting at 2 am! There's no telling what I may end up unknowingly saying in Spanish! :wink:

Here is my promo artwork for the new limited edition Sam's Shrunken Head mugs - I love those old campy 1950's horror movies of the 1950s. Below is the signed print artwork that comes with the mug. If you want to purchase one, here's the link to the thread in "Tiki Marketplace":

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21580&forum=12&0

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2006-10-28 21:25 ]

H
hewey posted on Sun, Oct 29, 2006 1:04 AM

Looks good mate.

The mug dissappears into the smoke a little though, me thinks.

Glad to see some more tiki work from you too :)

I can almost see the subliminal ghoulies in the smoke in the background.

B

Hey Sam, Sorry for not seeing your thread for awhile. You have some more great art as usual. the Ed Roth is Way over the top, but I Really love your new Mug art. I'll have to get one of your new mugs. GGGGrreaaaaT!

Thank you, hewey, Raffer and Ben - Yes, there's no telling what's hiding in that smoke! :wink:

T

I wish I had seen one of those at Hukilau/Mai Kai in October... I bought a "regular" shrunken head there though. Very nice work.

Thanks, tikigap!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Nov 12, 2006 7:28 AM

Sam - that is awesome! Where is the smoke coming from? Anyway, that is a killer painting of a killer mug. It should be very popular.

-Gman

Hey Gman, Thanks a bunch - I'm glad you like the promo piece. It's a Photoshop piece done with photos, text and letters I created in Illustrator. Now I wish it was a painting! As always, thanks so much for the kind words though.

P

sam, i saw your grinch piece here in town. it was very nice. wish i had an extra 700 to spend on it.

Thanks, pdrake- I envy anyone who is hanging around vegas on a regular basis! :wink: Thanks for the kind words!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1554 replies