Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

2 of my New Wacky Packages paintings for Series 9, 2012. p. 103

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1,554 replies

Sam!
Very clever concept and great lookin piece!
you can still tell it's a Gambino (the precision of the Font?)
you've perfectly melded those styles like a chameleon!
must have been a blast just loosening up a bit,eh?
Looks like you had a LOT of fun painting this one!
I guess I'll see it next weekend! :)
Keep on Pumpin out the JAMS! Sams! :lol:

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jun 6, 2008 11:22 AM

Needs more green.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jun 6, 2008 11:29 AM

P.S. That's a joke you bastards, so don't send GROG any hate-mail!

Thanks for the kind comps, Tiki Kaimuki, Brad, Ken and Grog!

Hey Tiki Kaimuki - Yes, I have to do the Charles Nelson Reilly painting soon. I can't let that great picture of him that you posted go to waste!

Thanks Ken - I almost added some pinstriping to make it my own! :wink:

Hey GROG - It probably needs a little leg and thigh too, for that "sex sells" angle.... :wink:

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jun 7, 2008 11:48 AM

Couldn't hurt.

Here's the second painting for Harold Golen's Tiki show. It's my version of the vintage Sam's Seafood art. The tiki and trees portion is actually an ink on bristol piece I did last year and never used - adhered it to the canvas, varnished over it, and painted around it. Thanks for looking!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jun 8, 2008 12:33 AM

That looks superb, SamGam.

Great self-promo piece, too.

soo neat. ive been thinking about the whole menu cover iterpretation and look there it is.

Sam,
I am humbled by your wit and creativity!
I'd love to see your rendition of a Zombie Village / Sam Gambino piece.

RH

I really like the authentic look the piece has. Authentic, but better - great approach.

T
teaKEY posted on Sun, Jun 8, 2008 9:07 AM

nice birdy, vintage bird. You could so fool someone in believing that tiki is Don Tiki old.

Thanks so much for the comps, GROG, Sophistatiki, Brad, Robb and teaKey! I appreciate the kind words too, that it looks authentically old - that's exactly what I was shooting for. Also, I think that a zombie painting is definitely in my near future, Brad.... I've been thinking of a spin to put on it!

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2008-06-08 21:20 ]

Outstanding piece, Sam.
Your work is always exciting to see, but this one really knocked me out.
Whoever ends up owning this will be lucky indeed. :)
Kudos!

Thanks so much artosaurus! It was fun to do this one....

O

Awesome stuff Mr. Gambino! Just flipping thru some of the pages here. Really enjoyed curse of the tiki, not to mention, like everything else!

-o

Thanks so much octopussy! That Curse of the Tiki Idol is different from what I normally do, but it was fun. I may do more like that.

Here are a couple of brush and ink characters I worked on late at night. I thought I'd share them here.... Thanks for looking!

hehe, great stuff there. Reminds me of mad magazine art.

T

Ugly inked swami is just perfect. You are really showing the many sides of your capabilities

Swami ROCKS!
Basil Wolverton would be sooooooooo Proud!
Those are GREAT Sam!
Remind me NOT to send you any ZIPFIZZ....
You don't need any! :lol:
and Polynesian Village just oozes Vintage!
a few minor touches and you got yourself a NEAT-O business card!
Always a pleasure to see fellow artists testing the waters
and pushing themselves!
A plus!

Thanks so much for the comps octopussy, teaKey and Ken! I'd love to get more into ink. Ken, I was definitely drawing with Basil Wolverton in mind! I love characters which are ugly, yet beautiful - he was a master at that!

[ Edited by: sam gambino 2008-06-11 16:50 ]

Here's the great Unknown Hinson!!... another fun inked piece....

[ Edited by: sam gambino 2008-06-14 13:01 ]

S

Sam I must say those guys are truly U. G. L. Y !!!

Thanks, sungod! I was shooting for ugly, yet pleasant to the eye! (Is there a such thing???) :)

T
Toshi posted on Sun, Jun 15, 2008 8:56 PM

I love those ink heads, you brushed those? Awesome.

Thanks so much Toshi. Yes, I used one brush for the whole thing. Too lazy to dirty a smaller brush for the shading! The text was put in later digitally though. I wanted to do political cartoons a few years ago, but went lowbrow instead.... Thanks again!

UNKNOWN HINSON!
Squids turned me on to that guy!
What a character!
and what a caricature!
Was really impressed with ALL your pieces at the Fine Art Tiki Show!
That Korla Pandit piece was !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If i saw anyone there gawking, I'd play docent
and give em a little SamGam bio/info!
REPRESENT!

Thank you Ken! I hope it was a great time there. Thanks for the word of mouth too. :) I remember you talking about Unknown Hinson. He is a scream with that chickin'-pickin' Monster Telecaster style!

Very cool stuff!
I like that it's so very different than your photo-realistic work. It's like two sides to a great golden Gambino-doubloon of artistic talent.

Tiki Shark

http://www.tikishark.com
http://www.myspace.com/Lotus_Land

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2008-06-16 13:19 ]

Thanks so much Brad! These are fun to do - I'm not exactly confident with ink, but it is fun to work on!

Here's the new enamel and digital ad art for Coffin Case. The background is enamel while the rest is digital. I love the whole 60's B-Movie genre....

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2008-06-16 18:22 ]

B

Killer!!!

Thanks for the comp, Big Toe!

S

Okay those are deffinently not ugly!

Thanks sungod! ....and that made the project all the more fun to do!! :)

Sam, your cluster of work at the Hukilau was shockingly well done. The wife and I were parked there like it was a drive in a lot of the time.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jun 23, 2008 6:31 PM

GROG preach, and preach, and preach!! And still you can't seem to get it thru your head that SEX SELLS! How many times does GROG have to keep telling you that before you finally get the hint?!! Sheesh!

Thanks so much Robb! The kind words are much appreciated!

GROG- I just don't know.....you know, I try and try, and no matter what, I just can't seem to nail this concept of yours. Maybe I just need to give it up and write medical literature.......

Hot Hot Hot and Retro cool!

Snazzy and excellent work Sam!

Thanks so much Brad! ....a little mid-60's, low budget, B subject matter there!

Here's the new painting "The Space Swinger" for the Tiki Freakout Show at the Light Gallery in Costa Mesa this weekend... Thanks for looking!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 16, 2008 8:10 PM

Classic Gambino - sweet :D

I'll admit, most of you pop culture references get lost on me - different side of the world and different generation :wink: But I always love checking in to see what you're up to :D

SWINGIN PAINTING SAM!
Waaaaaaaaaay stoked this is gonna be FREAKIN OUT with all the other
Freaky Tiki paintings! Yowza!
Thanks Sam, for being sooooooo talented and generous with your work!
Us West Coasters appreciate it!
:)

Like way out, space is the place. Always nice to see another Gambino styler. Speaking of which, I was checking out a band called Martini Five-0 on myspace and a pic of the your head hunter mug popped up on the music player for one of thier tunes. It complemented the song well and put a smile on my mug.

T

Sam, you are the MAN ! I love your style !

"Fly me to the moon...."

Looks even better in person,Sam!!!!! I'm glad your part of the Freakout!!!!!!!!

Sam's section is a walk through the Growth of Gambino!!!

If you haven't seen Sam's work in person, you haven't seen his WORK!!!

Thanks so much for the kind words, hewey, Ken, Chongo, tikiyaki, Brad and Rory! I really really really really appreciate the very kind words! It looks like it'll be a great show....... I wish I lived in SoCal now. It would be great to be there hanging out with my good friends. Hanging out here at TC is the next best thing.

Here's the new cover for the Phantom Jets upcoming LP..... I thought that the monster-zombie-Sinatra-atomic-vintage LP-jetsetter-"I Eat Your Skin" enthusiasts here might like it! :wink: The painting is enamel on canvas while the lettering is digital.

Brad "Tiki Shark"- You must have been psychic a few posts ago when you said "Come Fly With Me".... Wait! That was "Fly Me to the Moon"! :)

Thanks for looking!

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2008-07-19 00:13 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1554 replies