Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

2 of my New Wacky Packages paintings for Series 9, 2012. p. 103

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1,554 replies

Cheeky Tiki,

I'm on a roll replying to people this morning so you are next. Too bad our trips to Biarritz didn't match up. It would have been great to meet you. Your work is outstanding and I thoroughly enjoy seeing it on Tiki Central. Hopefully, you got some good waves. There were a couple of head high days when we were there, but not much juice. Good luck on your tiki show, I let some of my London friends know about it. You know how English people like to get aggro. I made my buddies promise to be on good behavior.

Cheers,
Will

Will, I'm sure your mates can only be as bad as most of the guys that will turn up. I'm not going to france until early Oct when the autumn swells pick up, hopefully we'll get some good days.
The Artwork is all Sams so he gets the praise for it.
Next time you're heading this way let us know

Sam, I have trouble making "Brit" and "Tiki" come together (except when it comes to Cheekytiki!), but your tuxedo-clad tiki seems to do it with style. He's got a real sublime attitude about him. Just hanging out incognito. Nice work!

Aaron

Thanks AA! I gave him diamond-shaped eyes - a loose reference to James Bond.

Here are my latest 3:

The Lingerer: 11x14 enamel on masonite:

The Dymo-Tiki: 14x18 enamel on stretched canvas. He has that name because his mouth reminds me of those screwball Dymo label printers from the '70s:

...and here's The Dangler": 11x14 enamel on masonite. I painted the shrunken head that's in my Jeep - he dangles...

Thanks for looking, and I truly value your responses!

K
kirby posted on Fri, Aug 26, 2005 9:15 PM

great work, as always, sam. I love the art on the wall its very jackson polluk...

The clean, simple execution of The Lingerer could make this a classic. Very cool in a classy understated sort of way. The "Squiggy" lock of hair is inspired.

B

Sam I LOVE your new pieces here, especially the "Lingerer", as he reminds me of my drinking days when the barkeep would have to shoo me out the door so he could close up shop. Sometimes I would help him clean up just to get another drink.. Also love the "Dymo tiki" as I used to print lots of labels on one of those old machines. And of Course I love the dangler because he is really cool for some reason. He is just haunting.
Are you ready for Katrina? Hopefully there will be no need as right now it is looking worse for Purple Jade than for you. Good luck and thanks for brightening up our day with your awesome work.

T

I like the Lingerer too! I found myself speculating about him -- is he too cool for other people, and that's why he's alone, or is he, you know, a bit awkward socially, and the staff at the cafe` whisper about him among themselves ("there's that guy who sits there alone all night...")?

I also wondered if he's a good tipper. Probably, but you never know. He might fold a dollar bill under the coffee cup so it looks like two dollars, then walk away while avoiding eye contact with his server. I mean, you just never know...

I figure if you can get people wondering about the personal lives of your characters, you are making good art.

FA

They are all just amazing, great stuff!

I love them all but the Lingerer resonates the most. I just love the face, it's perfect.

Thanks much, kirby, Raffertiki, Ben, tropical guy, Fez Ape and AA. I had fun doing these.

Ben- I'm in denial with Katrina! :)

Hey tropicalguy- notice how there is no ashtray, spoon or napkin left on the table? What could that imply? Hmmmmmmm....

Here's a new commission Illustration too:

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2005-08-27 14:33 ]

H

All the new stuff is cool, but i love the lingerer. Very cool. I would like to see more "arty" pieces like this style.

B

Sam, I love Dymo-Tiki! I had one of those labelers when I was a kid, and labeled everything, including the labeler.

B

Sam, I love the new Coconut Lounge piece too. Man you're killing us with all this new stuff. It's so goot, I think I can't take any more, but I Gotta Have it. I'm hooked! Bring it on.. Whats next?

sam you are pumping out some seriously classy art. I can't get over your flyer for the london luau. I totally dig your 007 tiki
amazing stuff, sam, I love checking your thread

Thanks so much, badmojo, hewey, Ben, and Polynesiac! I have a few more in the making now, but I enjoyed doing these here.

Love the shrunken head mate - I have never carved a shrunken head - I have been asked to do one so I will now give it a try (in between tikis)

Don't forget to post it, marcus. We'd love to see it!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Aug 31, 2005 6:22 PM

Ive been getting on Sams case in PMs to make some more cool art like the "the lingerer". I reckon hes got the goods to go BIG. Got the right mix of retro, tiki, intrigue, sophistication etc. I think he just needs to get more exposure to "arty" people, like gallery stuff.

T

"The Lingerer" gave me an idea for a possible future work by Sam: "The Lurker." It would be another one of those famous, tiki-mug-headed characters, this time gazing, maybe with a sort of crazed expression, into a computer screen on which is visible a webpage with a green background and the words, "Tiki Central" up at the top.

T

Sam!! I loved seeing your stuff at the "Tiki's and Terrors" show!! I was hoping we would meet eachother..not shure if we were there at the same time!! Best of luck on success!! I have my own style of Shrunken Heads I am designing that I hope to share soon..I too have always been intrigued by the lil' things!!

Magic Wishes~

THOR

Thanks, hewey, Thomas, and THOR.

THOR, it would be great to meet you too. Only my artwork made it there this time though! Also, post those shrunken heads when you can. I'd love to see them.

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2005-09-05 14:42 ]

Here's "The Hinge" - Inspiration comes from looking at the hinges on the back of late model Ford cargo vans. See for yourself! This guy, along with "Dymo-Tiki" will be at the "Brushes, Needles and Burnouts" show at Kustom Kulture Gallery in Baldwin, NY - October 1 to November 5.

FA

MAN that is just awesome! Cool name and a cool place to pull inspriration.

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Sep 6, 2005 2:39 PM

I was able to see a Sam work in living color this weekend in Detriot. Super cool and it really has to be seen in person. The golds and silvers are eye popping and the lines are crisp.

Thanks a bunch, Fez Ape and teaKEY! Detroit - my old stomping ground... I appreciate the kind words!

R

Kick ass Sam, Now I am gonna be looking at hinges instead of the road. Kinda reminds me a little of one of Tinglers works ( and thats cool, cause your both super freakin talented!!!)

[ Edited by: rodeotiki 2005-09-06 15:34 ]

Thanks, rodeo! Tingler does some cool work....

I am, in no way, responsible for any auto accidents which may occur as a result of this painting.... :wink:

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Sep 6, 2005 5:39 PM

Sam,

That's clean yet very busy. I like it very much, along with the others. You've got a real wild perspective....

-G

F

Great work as always Sam, I'm a big fan! I love The Lingerer. As a bartender I always hated that type, but I love the style of your work. Always a pleasure.

K
kirby posted on Tue, Sep 6, 2005 6:56 PM

Pleased to meet you hinge...great work as always sam...

B

Sam, He is Really neat, though he looks a little sad. I guess I would be too if I had to slam doors

Sam great tiki! Love the pinstriping too - very cool. Is this guy opening up new doors for you?

Thanks, GMAN, finkdaddy, Ben, kirby and polynesiac- you guys make me anxious to get to the next piece....

By the way, I meant to say that the colors on this guy come from the color of an early '50's electric fan and a 1950's scale of mine - sort of like "utility-looking" colors - like a hinge should be!

Hey Ben and Polynesiac, I figured since there are the doorknob-headed moai, it's only right that there should be a hinge....

Next, I must get to work on the "Dead-Bolt Tiki." :wink:

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2005-09-06 21:55 ]

H
hewey posted on Wed, Sep 7, 2005 10:58 PM

Awesome Sam! Love the colour, the style, the pinstriping, the everything! Cool.

Sam, you've got some amazing talent! inspiration comes from the strangest places sometimes, but you have turned mundane function into stupendous form!

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Sep 8, 2005 6:26 AM

your right about the color. MY girlfriend's mom has a ground fan the same color and I was looking at it over the weekend. I was thinking about how cool that fan is.

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2005-09-08 06:31 ]

Thanks, hewey, Palama Tiki, and teaKEY. I really like some of those colors they used on ordinary objects back then.... Now that I don't see them much anymore, I've gained a new appreciation for them.

What vehicle could be more tiki than the Woody, right? :wink: This is the latest commission piece -

[ Edited by: sam gambino 2005-09-15 16:59 ]

Geez Sam, you are soooo talented. That looks incredible!

Great painting Sam! It's gorgeous!

B

Sam, that is incredible. You can Almost turn the key and start it up and roll down the beach. Lets load it up and go surfin. Really nice Sam, where do you keep getting these ideas from?
Incredible

H
hewey posted on Tue, Sep 13, 2005 9:25 PM

Wow man. That is absolutely gorgeous! It looks so realistic. The reflections off the paint, the interior detail. Its just SO good.

What size is it?

I bet the guy who owns the woody was stoked!

Thanks so much finkdaddy, Tikiwahine, Ben and hewey. Kind words are always appreciated!
Hey Ben, the customer saw a couple of paintings on my site which I had done as magazine ads, and emailed me a pic of the NW Rods magazine and his rod asking me to give it the "ad treatment", so I guess the idea was kind of a joint deal.

Hewey, This is 11x14 1-Shot paint (AND it tastes great! :wink: ) on stretched canvas. Thanks again!

F
foamy posted on Wed, Sep 14, 2005 5:07 AM

Sam, you do fine looking pieces that are right tight. I like 'em alot. Wish I had half of your skill. Not to mention—you pin-stripe too!

Super Sam...seems like you could reach out and touch
the steel...i always wanted to paint realistic looking
cars...in fact i always wanted to be able to paint
anything...keep em coming.

After seeing this I will never look at the cans of one-shot sitting on my shelf the same. In fact I may never touch them again.

Sam that painting is beyond amazing. It looks better than the real cover would have!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1554 replies